PDA

View Full Version : A good whip build?

gallagher
2009-11-13, 04:33 PM
hey, i was just wondering if there were any good whip builds. i see how it is weaker in most areas to the spike chain, but there has to be a point in having one more than just for flavor.

anyone have any ideas?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-13, 04:35 PM
Bard using a whip dagger with Dragonfire Inspiration, Snowflake Wardance, Improved Trip, Knock Down, and that skill trick that allows you to use the whip as a grappling hook.

Person_Man
2009-11-13, 04:40 PM
Flaming Homer, the Bowling Ball of DOOM!!! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4108954&postcount=22)

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-13, 04:40 PM
There are a few major methods. Duskblade for the full-attack channel combined with Whirlwind Attack and a party-buff is always fun. And it works in-combat, too.
Trip builds can do it, but the lack of AoOs is stupidly restrictive.
EWM builds like it because they can grab EWP with a dip rather than a feat, but that's not really incredible.

Ganurath
2009-11-13, 04:43 PM
Two Words: Death Devotion. It doesn't matter if you deal damage, just land a hit and they get a negative level. You can find it in Complete Champion. I recommend it to go with someone who can either rebuke, Command, or easily kill undead. What with the wights that would result.

ericgrau
2009-11-13, 05:23 PM
It's a one handed weapon. Trip attempts are touch attacks. TWF it and eat the -4 :smallbiggrin:.

Forrestfire
2009-11-13, 05:29 PM
@^: Or pick up oversized two-weapon fighting.

Sword and Fist has the Lasher (I think that's the name) prestige class and the Whip Dagger, which is a whip that does 1d6 lethal damage. See if you can grab Thicket of Blades (ToB) and Combat Reflexes in order to become a 15ft radius whip hurricane.

EDIT: Weapon finesse and a high dex is good, too.

ericgrau
2009-11-13, 05:31 PM
@^: Or pick up oversized two-weapon fighting.
If you can afford the feat, yeah. Otherwise full BAB (or a buffed med. BAB) and strength as your main stat should do pretty well against touch AC.

EDIT: Weapon finesse and a high dex is good, too.
You need to pump strength for trip attempts anyway, so no need to finesse.

Dimers
2009-11-13, 05:33 PM
Sword and Fist has the Lasher prestige class and the Whip Dagger ...

I looked at Lasher recently, and I don't recall seeing anything that conflicts with 3.5e, so it should be an easy conversion. The PrC does add some nice possibilities for a dedicated whip-user.

dyslexicfaser
2009-11-13, 09:19 PM
MIC has two magic whips that do lethal damage for around 20k each, Lash of Sands or something?

That's about all I can add, a whip character is pretty much going to be sub-standard.

AstralFire
2009-11-14, 12:11 AM
Honestly, whip-dagger solves all of the problems right there. Having a 10-15 foot reach is almost as good as 5-10 ft reach. Pairs well with Dervish or Tiger Claw Martial Adepts.

BobVosh
2009-11-14, 12:37 AM
Awww I was hoping for a Kua-Toa whip.

What is dagger whip in, btw?

AstralFire
2009-11-14, 12:38 AM
Sword and Fist.

Lycanthromancer
2009-11-14, 01:14 AM
Whip-dagger psychic warrior half-ogre tripper (no, not stripper), using a spiked gauntlet for tripping adjacent to prevent AoOs? Having 45 ft (?) reach at level 2 has to be worth SOMETHING...

[edit] Also, the gauntlet allows for 15 ft reach for making AoOs, as well. Not much loss there...

Darcand
2009-11-14, 01:33 AM
I used a whip on my bard to aid another in offesive from a safe distance, and to disarm rogues. I also once readied an action to snatch spell components out of an enemy caster's hand.

Then again I also picked up obtain familiar so that I could use my raven to cast cure light wounds from across the battlefield.

I miss that bard.

Draz74
2009-11-14, 02:07 AM
If you're high-level and/or your DM doesn't allow Sword & Fist material, note that there are two magic whips in the MIC that overcome the whip's usual weaknesses of "nonlethal damage, cannot hurt well-armored things." Lash of Sands and Water Whip. Both pretty expensive, but both with some decent abilities of their own too.

Zuki
2009-11-18, 12:40 AM
Sword and Fist.

I'm just a little disappointed that you didn't post the Devo-Dervish.

Even if it's probably outdated.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-11-18, 02:39 AM
Lasher + Flame Whip from Pyrokeneticist = good times.

dsmiles
2009-11-18, 05:36 AM
Bard using a whip dagger with Dragonfire Inspiration, Snowflake Wardance, Improved Trip, Knock Down, and that skill trick that allows you to use the whip as a grappling hook.

Add the 10 levels of Lasher to this, and I would use it.

Person_Man
2009-11-18, 11:04 AM
Also, remember that a whip doesn't threaten. So any combo that relies on AoO won't work with it.

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-18, 11:07 AM
Also, remember that a whip doesn't threaten. So any combo that relies on AoO won't work with it.

Correct! So get spiked gauntlet/ boot blade/ horned helm for when someone wants to get close

Heliomance
2009-11-18, 11:21 AM

Unless your DM allows Lasher, as mentioned above. It makes you threaten with a whip and stops you proccing AoOs yourself.