PDA

View Full Version : Funny story, yes? Freelance peacekeeping in the Fallout wastes.

chiasaur11
2009-11-13, 06:29 PM
Never try to reason with time travelers. They never seem to understand business.

But I get ahead of myself, yes?

The name's Death's Head. I'm a freelance peacekeeping agent.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/deathshead1.jpg

Handsome chap, right? That's me.

Anyway, I was trying to catch a fugitive for the Time Valence Authority. Old acquaintance of mine, smug little guy going around time in a police box.

Underestimated him, yes?

Well, wound up in a post apocalyptic wasteland, unarmed. Managed to keep a holographic projector, though. Locals might not be fond of robotic types. Well, large structure nearby. Might as well see if anyone's in need of a freelance peacekeeping agent, eh?

So, yeah. LPing Fallout one as everyone's favorite not-bounty hunter.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

Raroy
2009-11-13, 06:33 PM
I completely support this thread. Don't finish it too quickly, I'd like you not to have more then half of all completed lps here.:smallwink:

Cubey
2009-11-13, 06:40 PM
It's a Chiasaur LP, so it will rock.

Copacetic
2009-11-13, 07:13 PM
It's a Chiasaur LP, so it will rock.

This.

Looking forward to it, Chia.

chiasaur11
2009-11-13, 07:19 PM
Great. Now I have standards to live up to.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-13, 07:39 PM
That's what happens when you actually put effort into things.

Hmm... from what story/episode/whatevers is he from? And what Who did he go against?

Lord of Rapture
2009-11-13, 07:43 PM
If it lessens the pressure on you Chiasaur, I just want you to know I never enjoyed your Marathon LP's*. No offense, I just want you to not feel as pressured.

*No, seriously.

warty goblin
2009-11-13, 08:08 PM
Great. Now I have standards to live up to.

Standards suck. Let's fight for more mediocrity!

No, seriously, this should be fun. Is this Falllout 1, 2, or 3?

Johnny Blade
2009-11-13, 08:10 PM
I am surprisingly unsurprised by your choice of a protagonist. :smallwink:

chiasaur11
2009-11-14, 01:15 AM
That's what happens when you actually put effort into things.

Hmm... from what story/episode/whatevers is he from? And what Who did he go against?

Comics. He went up against the 7th Doctor a couple of times. Not when working for the TVA, though. Fought the Doctor after his showdown with Unicron, but before he met the Fantastic Four. His history is kinda convoluted and awesome.

And LoR? Sorry you didn't like the Marathon LPs. Can't win 'em all, I guess. Still, less pressure.

(Fallout 1.)

Lord of Rapture
2009-11-14, 01:43 AM
Ehh, I feel it's less your fault than the fact that the Marathon-verse is so bloody complicated and incomprehensible it turns in on itself and becomes boring. Not even your mad-LP skills could make it interesting (the X-Com thread proved to me you're good with LP's).

chiasaur11
2009-11-14, 06:54 PM
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/scr00002.jpg

I went up to the structure. The door was locked, but there was some kind of communications system. No way I was getting the door down, and it seemed unlikely whoever was inside would be in much of a mood to pay someone for a job when they just totaled their defenses, yes? Communication system seemed the best bet.

A crackly voice came out of the system.

"Why are you standing here talking? We need the water chip soon, or everyone will die. We sent you out hours ago, but it seems you're too scared of the rats to bother about saving the entire vault!"

Ah. Looks like the skeleton next to me had a job to do. And something had stopped him. Still, skeletonized in hours? Unusually thorough rats, huh?

Well, it looked like someone had a job that needed doing. And money's money.

"Well, I was thinking. Seems you'd be needing the chip just to survive, yes? Be worth a lot of money. If I find somewhere outside with water, no reason to risk my life for nothing when I could survive outside just as easy. Never liked you anyway."

Last bit was a gamble, I admit, but people don't generally like bosses who send them out to be eaten by rats.

"Fine. We'll give you... 500 supply rations. And that's all I can do. More than enough to ensure a life of comfort. Good enough?"

No, probably not, but considering my current bargaining position, it would have to do for now.

"Fine, for now. But if this proves more difficult than you said, well, we can renegotiate then. Any idea where to start?"

"I already said Vault 15. Few miles east. Honestly..."

Cut him off. I already knew what I needed, might as well try to get my bearings before whatever ate the guy with my job before me comes back.

Poor schmuck had some supplies. Knife, pistol...

Not what I'd like to have, but you make do with what's given you, right? Besides, it was better than what I had a couple minutes ago.

Rats were less of an issue than I thought. One round apiece and they exploded into chunks. That's that, I guess. Managed to get out of the cave I was in and start heading east. Wasn't the best paying job, but work's work.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/scr00028.jpg

Ran into a small town on my way.

Sure, the guy at the vault sounded urgent, but a few more jobs couldn't hurt, yes?

Johnny Blade
2009-11-14, 07:59 PM
Well, smoothly done introduction. Not that I'd know what he's like in the comics you mentioned, but this first conversation does give some insight into our protagonist's character.

Concerning my actual (nonexistent) knowledge of him, some details about him would be nice, though. Just something about what he's like in the comics. Wikipedia doesn't have much, at least as far as actual characterization is concerned.
(Statblock would also be nice.)

Also, this little bit with adding ", yes?" and the like to the end of sentences - I guess you did this as frequently as it appeared in the comics, or even less so, but considering that this LP will be written from his viewpoint, I still think it's a bit much.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-14, 08:07 PM
Woo!

I haven't actually beaten Fallout 1 before, I keep getting stuck. I should LP Fallout 2, like I secretly wanted to. But then people would comment on my fail Kabuto LP.. :smalltongue:

Lord of Rapture
2009-11-14, 08:10 PM
Who's Kabato?

Johnny Blade
2009-11-14, 08:10 PM
I haven't actually beaten Fallout 1 before, I keep getting stuck.
Heh...me too.

Usually somewhere in the first town, actually, although I made it quite far once. I think.

But then people would comment on my fail Kabuto LP.. :smalltongue:
Did that actually ever start? Because, if not, it's not a failure and you should start Fallout 2. Right now. :smallwink:

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-14, 09:09 PM
Did that actually ever start? Because, if not, it's not a failure and you should start Fallout 2. Right now. :smallwink:

No, it didn't. :smalltongue:

Allright. Thread is being made, if I can work out a way to get screenshots more efficently.

chiasaur11
2009-11-14, 11:58 PM
You want to beat Fallout?

Pick gifted. It's easy mode fun times.

How I beat the game. Well, I also maxed int for more skills and face shooting, but...

Terraoblivion
2009-11-15, 09:42 AM
Int and Agility are generally the best stats, though completely dumping strength is bad since you will not be able to use any weapons effectively or carry very much. That is if you just care about winning rather than about using a specific character, which can be seen as a wrong way around playing Fallout.

Winthur
2009-11-15, 10:00 AM
Int and Agility are generally the best stats

I've beaten this game on the hardest mode with a wimp that had EN and AG 4, and he still could barely find any challenge.

Power Armor and energy weapons are this game's breaker.

chiasaur11
2009-11-15, 03:45 PM
So, a question for the audience.

Should I try to keep Ian alive?

Or just grab him to help with the scorpions, then hide his body in a ditch?

Raroy
2009-11-15, 04:20 PM
Keep him alive. You don't need to overcomplicate things with random people dead, yes?

Starbuck_II
2009-11-15, 04:40 PM
Although, if he ever shoots you in the back (and he will) then kill him.

chiasaur11
2009-11-16, 12:00 AM
Talked to the front gate guard. Seems the locals had a problem with some large arachnids. Didn't seem like they'd be able to pay much, but it was a side job. Really, can't expect much of these things. Still, the scorpion cave sounded unpleasant. Best to bring whatever "heroic" sorts could be convinced to do it for the good of the town. Don't want to split the take too many ways, yes?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Scorps1.gif

Seems I was able to find one. Local mercenary was willing to do the job for "a piece of the action". Some people need to learn the finer points of the trade, especially when it comes to payment. Still, not my place to teach, huh?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Scorps2.gif

Locals weren't kidding about the risk from the scorpions. I'd dealt with worse, but these were nastier than the standard. I took a couple with my new pistol, but these things made me miss my old toys more than usual. I could use a plasma rifle.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Scorps3.gif

I felt a light ding on my left shoulder. Not the kind that came from scorpions either. Seems Ian was either a worse shot, or a better judge of payment then I thought. Well, either way it's best to discourage that kind of thing.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Scorps4.gif

"Aaagh!"
"Now, Ian, I know you organics tend to value your reproductive organs. No idea why. I was feeling generous today, so the little incident with the pistol? All forgiven. You repeat it, however, and I replay my little retribution, but replace a punch with a few bullets. We have an understanding, yes?"

"...yes."

"Good. We seem to be just about done here. Best to go back to town and collect, huh?"

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-16, 05:03 PM
Ah, good old Ian and his not so secret hatred of you.. :smalltongue:

chiasaur11
2009-11-16, 11:42 PM
Went back to town to collect my fee, and I got reminded of why I try to stick to the big contracts. Even Ian could notice the deal was bad.

"A sharp stick. I nearly get killed by a bug the size of a Brahmin, and you give me a metal stick. I don't know if you've noticed, but there are these things called 'guns'. Kind of useful. And I have one. So, if this is the pay..."

"We are grateful, wanderers, but we are not exactly the richest of communities. This spear was given to be by my father, and to him by his. It is an artifact from before the bombs fell..."

"And that's nice, pops, but it ain't exactly worth much down at the hub. Now, I'll give you a three count, as I'm feeling generous, but..."

Best to step in before he does something stupid, yes?

"I'm forced to agree with the twerp in the jacket. Maybe in the wastes this constitutes acceptable pay, but I've definitely had better. Professional standards mean I can't pluck your eyeballs out one at a time and devour them this time, but you should consider cash if you find yourself employing me in the future, yes?"

"I... see. Well, you said you were going?"

"Right. Well, tell your friends, assuming they can pay better. Have a vault to examine East of here."

I started walking off when a voice already becoming more irritating came from the west of me.

"Hey! You can't call this fair payment for the job I've done so far! You said I was getting a piece of the action, which means this vault job of yours? I get a share."

Hnn. Might as well, I suppose. Good to have a body between me and any bullets, huh?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Vault151.jpg

A few days walk and we got to the vault. Guy who gave the job said to find a water chip.Don't see how a shack like this could have better tech than I'd seen on this mudball, but I was getting paid to look.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Vault152.jpg

That was more like it. Huge metal doors tend to be guarding something. Still, looked as if someone had been here first. Well, might be a bounty on whoever's in there. Or they might have left some useful gear. Either way, there's money in looking.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Vault153.jpg
Unfortunately, there's no market right now for giant rat carcasses. Guess that would make me very rich.

Ian seemed not to appreciate the joke. No sense of humor. Well, you take whatever idiots will do the job for free, and you need to lower standards a little. At least he didn't complain about the killing. Some people just don't understand business.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Vault154.jpg

Some useful supplies deeper in. Grenades, light armor, rapid fire slugthrowers...

Not a TVA emergency munitions supply station, but it looked promising. Either the door had been busted off the handles from the inside, or the previous looter hadn't gotten past the rats. Either way, better luck for me.

"Is that a H&K MP9 10mm SMG? I heard all of those were long gone. One of the finest portable side arms in the world. You gotta let me have it."

Seems Ian needed a reminder on our current contract.

"I should just give you a deadly weapon? Seems you have a lot to learn about basic survival. I haven't lasted in this business by handing hardware over to rivals for free, yes? I figure that lesson would be worth more to you than a simple SMG."

"No. No it wouldn't."

See? No sense of humor. Well, explored most of the place. Chip should be on the bottom level.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Vault155.jpg

Ah. Grenades didn't have enough force to clear the obstruction. Too bad.

Well, shame to leave a job half done, but there's not much I can do. Chip would be crushed even if I spent days clearing the rocks.

Well, might be another place worth checking. Either way, I was owed something for my efforts, right?

Johnny Blade
2009-11-16, 11:53 PM
I'm really enjoying the dynamics between Ian and our protagonist so far.

Also, the critical hit in the groin was hilarious.

chiasaur11
2009-11-17, 01:37 PM
Thanks.

So, any side missions anyone wants to see?

I tend to get a bit ahead of myself, so any input on that front's best said now.

Terraoblivion
2009-11-17, 02:24 PM
As many as possible. None of them really stick out to me, but i still want to see many of them. The first battle against a deathclaw, the one in The Hub, takes precedent, though.

Kudaku
2009-11-17, 02:45 PM
Great read so far! Though I'm not familiar with the comic book hero(?) you're portraying I'm really enjoying the spin you did on Ian, and the atmosphere in general, :smallbiggrin:
As for suggestions and feedback, is there any chance you could keep a list of LP updates (with links to the individual posts) in the thread? Going back to read these threads can be quite frustrating when they've grown to a few (dozen) pages. :smallsmile:

chiasaur11
2009-11-17, 04:08 PM
I'll try to do that soon. This weekend should be good, assuming I can stop playing Metroid for long enough.

Johnny Blade
2009-11-17, 04:28 PM
Well, whatever would allow you to show more of Death's Head's character would get my vote, since I don't know anything about him. (And I don't seem to be the only one that doesn't.)

Tandi rescue, maybe?

chiasaur11
2009-11-17, 05:23 PM
So, seems Vault 15 was a bust. I figured I might as well head back to the guy who gave me the job. Deserve some reward for my efforts.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ThePresidentHasBeenKidnappedByRa-5.jpg

Halfway there one of the guards from Shady Sands ran up to me. Seems they'd gotten into more trouble in my absence.

"These things happen. Sorry for your loss, of course."

"It was the Khans, I'm sure of it! They're heavily armed and none of our patrols have returned. Wanderer, you're the only hope we have."

"Well, I would like to help, but I have standards to think of, yes? Do this job for free and every small town will expect me to help with its problems for free. Can't very well keep in business with that kind of thing going on, right?"

"You're a monster. My daughter's life is on the line."

"I prefer to think of myself as a businessman. Sounds better when looking for work, yes?"

"Fine. I've managed to acquire five hundred hub script. It's all we have for trading if the Brahmins die. If you save my daughter, it's yours."

"Pleasure doing business."

Ian seemed startled.

"Lives were on the line, and you were just concerned about price. Wow."

"Shocked?"

"Impressed."

"I told you you'd learn something, yes? I know how this sort of business is done."

We headed south. Local rumor said there was a raider camp down there, and I figure it's a place to start. Who knows, they might be reasonable.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ThePresidentHasBeenKidnappedByRa-4.jpg

Ian wanted to open negotiations. Figured I'd let him have a shot at it. Usually the one who messes that sort of thing up is the one to get shot, and a new cloak would cost good money.

"Heard you'd kidnapped a girl called Tandi. Give her back, and maybe I won't ventilate you."

Sigh. Opening with threats can work, but it's best saved for the important people. Even then, I prefer to avoid killing if I'm not getting paid for it. Uses up good explosives. I probably should intervene.

"Sorry about the assistant. None to bright. Brahmin kicked him in the head as a small child. Local merchant lost his daughter and sent us to find her. I'm sure we can work this out peacefully, right?"

"Sure. I'll take you to Garl. Just keep the moron on a leash, alright?"

Well, that seemed to work well enough. Most of the raiders didn't even have guns. Shouldn't be too much effort to make them give up, hey?

We met the leader. Big guy, heavy armor. Not the toughest guy I'd seen, but probably trouble.

"So, you're Aradesh's bounty hunter, huh? Well, tell him it'll be six hundred for his daughter back. Otherwise, well..."

Not smart of him. Firstly, I never spend more on a job than it'll pay if I can help it. Second, he made it all too obvious paying probably wouldn't work.

The biggest mistake though?

"Not a bounty hunter. Freelance peacekeeping agent."
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ThePresidentHasBeenKidnappedByRa-2.jpg

His guards got in the way of the first few shots. Bought him a little time.

"Wait. We can talk about this."

"Probably."

"I can give you good reason not to kill me."

"How much?"

"Well, I don't have the money on me..."

"Too bad. If you had, we'd all be happier, eh? You'd be alive, I'd be paid better. This job so seldom works out perfectly."

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ThePresidentHasBeenKidnappedByRa-1.jpg

Ian checked the corpse.

"Well, he was right. No cash. Still, seems we got a haul anyway. Some armor, booze, and a desert eagle. Combine that with the five hundred from Aradesh..."

"Good afternoon's work, right?"

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ThePresidentHasBeenKidnappedByRaide.jpg

Well, seems Tandi wasn't the only one the raiders grabbed. Well, another rescue as a side note on a job doesn't exactly hurt the reputation. Might as well get them back to the village. I've got five hundred credits waiting for me. Getting paid for killing large groups of armed maniacs. Place is beginning to feel like home.

Johnny Blade
2009-11-17, 07:39 PM
"Wait. We can talk about this."

"Probably."

"I can give you good reason not to kill me."

"How much?"

"Well, I don't have the money on me..."

"Too bad. If you had, we'd all be happier, eh? You'd be alive, I'd be paid better. This job so seldom works out perfectly."
That was pretty cool.
And also interesting.

Also, instant gratification. I should try this more often. :smallwink:

chiasaur11
2009-11-18, 08:58 PM
Headed back to Shady Sands. Locals seemed grateful, and paid the full price, so that worked out. Even had a tip for the first job I got. Seems a town down south formed something of a center for broken down equipment. They might not have a chip, but they should have a guess at who does.

Even if they don't, there might be a few more jobs. Pay's already getting better than the first offer I got.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Junktown1.jpg

Got there after about a week a traveling. Not much to look at, but the guards were armed and confident enough to ask me to put away my new SMG.

When people act that stupid, there tends to be at least some resources to spare. The guards mentioned the sheriff was at the general store. Might as well see if he could use a freelancer, yes?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Junktown3.jpg

Turns out I came at a good time. Assassins, huh? Cheap, incompetent, and well armed. Well, if the sheriff didn't have a job for me, somebody else probably would. Got to love small town politics.

"I see you saved my life. I'm much obliged. Name's Killian Darkwater. I'm the sheriff around here, I guess. So, who am I thanking?"

"Name's Death's Head. Freelance Peacekeeping Agent. You have a job that needs doing?"

"Considering that someone is trying to kill me, I'd say the answer to that question's yes. I'm pretty sure Gizmo did it, but going in without evidence wouldn't be entirely legal. I hate to ask you to risk yourself like this..."

"But you need someone to carry a bug. Fair enough, but this sort of job doesn't come cheap."

"Well, I don't have many caps at the moment... A shotgun and a hundred shells?"

"Sounds workable enough. Be back soon. I can even finish the job without you needing to dirty your hands, assuming the pay stays steady."

"Just get the evidence. I'm not the type to hire assassins."

"Too bad. Would speed up the process, huh?"

"I can tell we aren't going to get along."

Managed to get to the casino easily enough. Seems gamblers don't usually wear combat armor, though. Got brought before Gizmo.

"So, you're a freelancer. Looking for work?"

Well, he got the terms right. And he ignored Ian to focus on the guy worth hiring. Seems Gizmo knew this kind of thing.

"Depends. What kind of work we talking?"

"Eliminating a nuisance by the name of Darkwater. Do it right, you get paid more than your greedy little mind can imagine. Try anything funny, you pay. In blood. Do we have an understanding?"

"I think so. How much cash are we talking, exactly? Best to know before I make any commitments, yes?"

"Enough. As I asked, are you up to the job?"

"I think so."

"Good. Just remember, don't dare double cross me."

Met back up with Ian by the slots.

"Heard the job offer. So, how we going to deal with Darkwater?"

"We aren't."

"Ah. This is another of your little 'jokes'. Ha. So, seriously. When we icing the sheriff?"

"As I said, not today. Gizmo didn't give any figures. Last guy to try this kind of thing didn't have any cash on him. You work long enough, you see when a job's a set up. Usually."

"So, we just get the pay from Darkwater? Well, better than nothing. I guess."

"Not quite. Notice the guards? Seems Gizmo had some guards, right? Be difficult for a standard arrest. Almost need to hire someone to do it for you. Say..."

"Us."

"Was going to say it myself. Impolite to interrupt."

"Fine. So, we hit Killian's?"

"You're starting to get it."

About ten minutes later, we had a contract. I deal with Gizmo one way or another, get five hundred and anything on the body. Well, the last part was just implied, but no-one contradicted that bit, yes?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Junktown4.jpg

Gizmo wouldn't come quietly. A bit of a disappointment, but not much of a surprise. He didn't even make a counter offer when I came back without Killian's head. The local crime lords aren't up to the standards I'm used to. Ah well, money's money.

chiasaur11
2009-11-19, 01:38 AM
A few drinks at a local establishment celebrated the victory. Place wasn't up there with Maccadam's, but it provided some entertainment.

Unfortunately, the whole thing got a bit messy. Walked out with a large dog following me, blood all over the nice armor I'd picked up, and a rather firm request never to enter the establishment again.

Hate it when work interferes with downtime.

Headed into Darkwater's to collect.

"So, you're back. Did you manage to deal with Gizmo?"

"Rather permanently. Seems he didn't want to come. A few persuasive arguments only left him less able to walk over here. Loss of blood tends to do that to you organics."

"You organics? Placing yourself above us now. Heh. Well, I would have preferred to see Gizmo hang fair and square, but I guess they don't make a noose strong enough. Well, here's the five hundred."

"Nice to see some professionalism, huh? Any more work you need done?"

"Well, there's been a gang causing some trouble recently. Leader's a guy named Vinnie. Leather jacket, bad attitude, not Ian. Talk him into leaving town, and I can pay you a little more. Interested?"

"Packs a colt pistol?"

"That's him. Know the guy?"

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Junktown5.jpg

"In a manner of speaking. I feel it's safe to say he won't be causing trouble in the foreseeable future."

"In other words, you killed him."

"Killed, dealt with... they're essential different terms for the same result, yes?"

"So. Yesterday I had a few small gang problems. Today, I have a large pile of bodies. As much as I appreciate the services, I figure it would be best for all concerned if you left. Now. The hub's a ways South of here, and I assume someone there can find a job for a 'Freelance Peacekeeping Agent'. Here's one hundred for dealing with the problem. We're done here."

Some people just don't know how to be grateful. Still, debts paid, no-one else trying to kill me. Jobs have gone worse.

On the way out a man in a gas mask and a trench coat approached me. Might want to take back the no-one trying to kill me bit soon, yes?

"You Death's Head?"

"Yes. Heard of me?"

"The name's Tycho. I'm a Nevada Ranger. I heard how you dealt with Gizmo. We need more heroes out in the waste, and anyone who'll take on a guy that well guarded is a hero in my book, messy methods or no. I'd like to be of help in any way I can."

A hero? Well, if it got me another distraction for the tougher fights, it couldn't hurt to let him believe it for a little while. Heroes tend to be a cheap way to stop a couple of bullets.

"Well, glad to have a fellow guardian of justice. Too few of us these days, right?"

"Right. Hero. Let me tell you about the time..."

"Not now Ian. Tycho here doesn't want more tales of daring do, huh?"

Bit mouth, Ian. Could be trouble. Still, considering how nasty the fighting had been already, one or the other should be gone soon. Can keep them off each other's throats for a bit, hopefully.

Ian interrupted my thought.

"And the stupid dog is peeing all over my legs! This just keeps getting better."

Might be more trouble than it's worth, yes?

Johnny Blade
2009-11-19, 02:16 AM
Ian's a bit of a slow learner, isn't he? :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2009-11-19, 11:47 PM
Couple of days listening to Ian and Tycho argue before we reached the hub. Got to say, life has been better.

Still, heard the hub has a lot of... disagreements. Add in some decent weapons, and we have somewhere worth visiting.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/BigQuestions1.jpg

Seems I wasn't entirely wrong. Lots of trade. And a few shipments not turning up. Worth seeing if anyone would pay for recovery later. First thing's first, though. Checking for more direct work. Most places need an outsider to deal with the awkward problems, yes?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/BigQuestions2.jpg
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/BigQuestions3.jpg
Unsurprisingly, the local crime boss had a job. Not my place to question work, huh?

It would be my job to justify it to Tycho though. Well, been able to deal with heroes before now. Pick up a few things, huh?

"So, we're working for a crime lord. I'm desperately hoping this isn't what it sounds like."

"If it sounds like a deep cover job, it is, yes? Taking out some other criminals, then making a note of it for the authorities. Completely legitimate."

"Good. We taking the dog? Gotten kind of fond of the mutt."

"Fine. Thing seems able to take care of itself."

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/BigQuestions4.jpg

Guards weren't an issue. Most ran. A couple thought they were a bit better than they were. Regrettable but they knew the risks when they took the job.

Merchant wasn't any brighter. Didn't even beg for his life, let alone offer money. Seems like no one around here knows business etiquette. He was bleeding all over the floor after a quick shot to the gut. Might make it if someone came, but ensuring no witnesses came a little before thoroughness.

Well, money was for killing the wife too. Not good to leave a job half done.

"This is about Decker isn't it? I knew we should have paid and now..."

"Now you're going to die too. No hard feelings, I hope? It is just business."

"I... I can pay!"

"Really? Well. That changes things, yes?"

"There's a necklace worth, well, easily a few thousand in the basement. And I'll make sure to give the 10% every month regular."

"Good enough. Pleasure doing business."

Well, that went better than hoped. More than full pay, contract completed. Might see if Decker was needing any more work. First job went well, after all.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/BigQuestions6.jpg

Not expecting that one. Figured Decker was a sensible sort and now a perfectly good job doesn't mean pay? Disappointed in local standards again. Just after someone understood how these things work, too.

"Well, we have evidence now. Going to the cops right?"

"For once the boy scout is right. Heard they pay big for tips around here. And Decker didn't seem the sort to be popular with the law."

Huh. Payback for payback's sake isn't exactly proper business ethics, but if there's money in it, nobody could hold it against you. Common courtesy, really. Still, best to take a few more jobs first. Don't think someone who double crosses every employer is likely to be the first choice for a job, right?

Heard a local farmer had some squatters. Sounds easy enough.

Johnny Blade
2009-11-20, 11:54 AM
Postapocalyptic wastelands just aren't the right place for professionalism, are they? :smallamused:

The writing was somewhat redundant at one point, though:

Well, that went better than hoped. More than full pay, contract completed. Might see if Decker was needing any more work. This one went better than expected.

[screenshot]

Not expecting that one. Figured Decker was a sensible sort and now a perfectly good job doesn't mean pay?

Well, that didn't go as planned.

"Well, we have evidence now. Going to the cops right?"
Now, this is a very well-written Let's Play, and I've never noticed that redundancy in your writing before, but I thought I'd mention it.

chiasaur11
2009-11-20, 03:43 PM
Postapocalyptic wastelands just aren't the right place for professionalism, are they? :smallamused:

The writing was somewhat redundant at one point, though:

Now, this is a very well-written Let's Play, and I've never noticed that redundancy in your writing before, but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for the heads up. Was playing Metroid about half the time I was writing this, and it was a bit late, so I guess that might help explain it.

Be more careful in the future.

chiasaur11
2009-11-20, 10:08 PM
Well, simple job. Farmer had some unruly squatters, and needed them out. I needed work. Nice when various needs mesh up. Pay would be worth at least 3,000, which seemed more than enough to cement a reputation around here. Better, should be a simple job.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/BigQuestions8.jpg

Tycho went first. Probably no trouble, but if there was any risk, I'm sure he'd be glad to give his life for someone else. Part of being a hero.

Big part of why I avoid that sort of career, yes?

"Alright. Now, I'm a reasonable enough guy. You leave quietly, we forget this whole thing ever happened. You leave with a few protests, I report you to the local authorities, lot of inconvenience all around. You try anything with, say, the desert eagle I heard somebody unholstering... Well, then things get fun. For me."

A few seconds passed.

"Looks like they're coming quietly."

Unfortunately, that stopped as soon as they saw me.

"Decker sends his regards!"

And then we saw what sort of employee bad business policies get. Amateurs. Didn't take long to deal with the problem.
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/BigQuestions9.jpg
Of course, this meant someone had set me up. Best to talk about it with him. Can't let this kind of thing become the standard, right?

Walked into the home of the guy who'd offered the job. Started babbling as soon as I steeped through the door.

"Ididn'tmeantodoitDeckerforcedmepleasedon'tkillme!"

"Well, if you can make it worth my while, I'm sure we can come to an understanding. Otherwise, well, accidents happen, yes?"

"Look. Decker gave me a .223 pistol, custom job to take you if... if the other guys fail. You can have it. Just don't kill me."

"Sounds good. Best if you leave quickly though. Might change my mind soon, yes?"

Ian seemed almost disappointed at the lack of another body. Oh well. Didn't hire him to listen to his opinion, huh?

Well, seems it would be a bit of a priority to sell Decker to the local law enforcement. When the employer won't honor an arrangement, contract's about up, yes?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/BigQuestions18.jpg

Sheriff insisted on coming along. Almost as if he didn't trust me. Suspicions like that could really hurt a guy. Good thing I'm used to that sort of thing by now.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/BigQuestions17.jpg

What comes of not paying up properly, right? Shame when this kind of thing happens. At least I got the thousand from the sheriff.

Leaving the station, I was approached by someone claiming to be from somewhere called Far Go traders. Seems something had been causing their caravans trouble. Well, considering Decker was dead, a set up seemed unlikely. And any job where the person who hired me pays up would be a notable improvement over the work I'd gotten here already.

Johnny Blade
2009-11-21, 01:50 AM
Alas, poor Decker. He really didn't know business.

Tycho was pretty badass.

Terraoblivion
2009-11-21, 08:05 AM
Sounds like tough work being a freelance peacekeeper. No one pays up and when you try to sell them out for their crimes against you, the authorities don't pay you either.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-21, 08:56 AM
On the way out a man in a gas mask and a trench coat approached me.

Are you my mummy? :smallamused: (Late response is late.)

chiasaur11
2009-11-21, 07:49 PM
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/BigQuestions10.jpg

Death Claw, huh? Couldn't be worse than some previous jobs. Charnel, Kangs...

Overgrown lizard monster couldn't be much worse. Might even take care of Ian and Tycho for me, yes?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/BigQuestions13.jpg

Must be the horned thing. No idea what the green mutant in the corner was, but I wasn't being paid to kill it. Which left if fairly irrelevant, right?

Readied a shot right to the eye. Wouldn't even notice me before it dies.

And then Ian had to make an observation.

"How are we supposed to kill that? It's bigger than a freaking radscorpion!"

And in about five seconds the thing was trying to rip my arm off.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/BigQuestions14.jpg

Succeeded. Unfortunate. Must remember to make sure Ian learns how big a mistake that was.

It wasn't my good arm, though, which meant I could finish shooting the Deathclaw through the eye before it finished being shocked at the taste of the arm it bit off.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/BigQuestions15.jpg

Managed to reattach the arm before Tycho came over. Wouldn't want awkward questions about that kind of thing, yes? Well, they seemed distracted anyway. Corpse from earlier was drawing their attention.

"Hey. Something's still alive over here. Ian, get some medical supplies. Whatever this is, there could be more of it, and we need to know everything we can if we're going to try to mount a defense. Okay, you, big guy. We can help you, but we'll want you to help us first."

"Too... late for me. Bring this... to the Master."

"Hey! You aren't dying on me. Not before you answer some questions. First:"

"In case you hadn't noticed, idiot, he's dead already. Pick the pockets, report to the boss, then we're going. I figure the Nevada Rangers can deal with any problems arising from this without us getting involved."

"With a lot of people dead, sure. I might have got something from him."

I said they were irritating, right? Well, promised myself I wouldn't kill except for money or in self defense. Which meant I was stuck with them until I get lucky. Might as well try to get use out of them, yes?

"Hey, boss. I got something from the mutant over there. Couldn't find out much, thanks to Ian distracting me, but... There's probably more of them."

"Means someone would probably pay a lot for dealing with them, yes? Best pick up some better weapons before then, but if we can find out who'd be willing, well, it would easily be worth the effort."

"And it would probably save some lives."

"What I meant to say, yes? Money is of course a secondary concern."

"Well, I figured that much was obvious to both of us. Money's nice, but it isn't everything."

I still don't understand how people believe that. Still, means they don't want as large a share of the take.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-21, 08:05 PM
When'd you meet Tycho? I guess I missed that part.

chiasaur11
2009-11-21, 08:09 PM
When'd you meet Tycho? I guess I missed that part.

When leaving Junktown. Death's Head Killing Gizmo left Tycho with an entirely inaccurate perception of our protagonist's moral code, and it's nice to have another disposable grunt between you and any deathbeasts.

chiasaur11
2009-11-22, 04:30 PM
Wasn't expecting this one.

But I get ahead of myself. Name's Ian Wilkerson. And I'm leaving this so somebody'll know what happened to me.

Now, I like to think I'm not much worse than the next guy. I mean, everybody does some nasty things to survive out in the wastes, right? So agreeing to work for a guy, while planning to kill him? Not exactly good, I'll admit, but he was a merc anyway, and if I felt guilty afterwards, well, I could return some of the reward for killing the scorpions.

So, while the guy was distracted by a honking big scorpion, I readied a kill shot. Guy was fresh out of a vault and unarmored. Should have dropped.

Only he didn't. And, like an idiot, I assumed I'd missed. Well, turned out Death's Head (The mercenary in question) wasn't as naive as I thought. And it became very clear my choices had narrowed to

1) Toe the line

2) Die.

So, I work with him for a while. Generally, it was a good gig. Sure, a Desert Ranger started hanging around (No idea why a money hungry psycho like the boss would want help from a boy scout, but here we are.) and generally being a nuisance, but the action was frequent, the pay was solid, and the dog (There was a dog following us for some reason) was peeing on my leg less.

Then things start getting weird. First, we get hired to hunt a Deathclaw. Yeah, and we'll be catching the elusive talking Brahmin of the wastes next.

Only we did find it. And it ripped the boss's freaking arm off.

And then he puts the fracking the back on, like nothing happened. And I swear I saw sparks coming off.

So... something was weird.

I didn't say anything. Figured it was just a side effect of some psycho or buffout. So, just went along when he said we were heading all the way to visit the Brotherhood of Steel to pick up some gear and find someone who'll pay us to hunt supermutants.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Brotherhood1.jpg

Only they wouldn't let us in. We had to recover some old disks or something from a radioactive hole in the ground.

Certain death, right?

Only the boss, he just looks at the guy (The guy in gigantic power armor, with a minigun.) and says

"Right. Just be sure you have the money ready when I get back, yes?"

And suddenly we're heading to the glow AKA the least hospitable place in the wastes.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Glowing1.jpg

Should say something that even Tycho wouldn't head in for love or money.
Tycho, AKA Mr. "I'll take point, don't want anyone hurt on my account."

And then with the world's greatest "I can't believe how big a wuss you're being" look on his face, the boss stares at Tycho for a second, then drops into the glow.

So, I figure he's dead. Even Tycho could understand that, and I start heading in the general direction of Junktown.

And then I hear a shotgun cocking.

"Look. Tycho. We both know this whole thing is doomed. Brotherhood sent us to die, man. You got liquid idiocy in that flask."

"Give us this day our daily mask. Try to pretend to be a halfway decent human being. We can give him 12 hours without any real risk."

"Fine. You're the one with the shotgun aimed at my head. No need to make cryptic comments."

"For the record, that first bit? Hamlet. Not surprised you haven't heard of it, but being a Ranger means learning something about the world before the bombs fell."

"Whatever."

And we pretty much wasted the next five hours glaring silently.

Around hour six, we resorted to calling cap flips to stave off boredom induced suicide.

"Call it."

"Tails."

"Heads."

"Crap."

"Call it."

"Tails."

"Heads."

"Crap."

Went on like that for a while. I was about ready to shoot Tycho in the head for being a cheating pile of Brahmin vermin when I hear something behind me. I turn, and suddenly there's a gleaming metal demon behind me. Huge tusks, horns, the works. Right out of some Tribal's nightmare. I reach for my sidearm, but when I turn back, the thing is gone and all I see is Death's Head.

"Got what I wanted, yes?"

So I figure, psycho flashback. Again. Only this time? I'm pretty sure I'm lying to myself.

On the way back, we run into some raiders.

I drop one or two, Tycho takes one, the dog kills one, and it doesn't do any good. More coming.

Then the boss turns toward a couple of them, and they melt into piles of goo. The one guy left runs for his life. Doesn't do him any good.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Glowing4.jpg

And then I remember a story I heard as a kid. Supposedly, there was a metal demon stalking the wastes, tracking and devouring those who did evil. Didn't believe it even when I didn't know about the brotherhood, which provided a perfect explanation without resorting to demons. Still, I had nightmares as a kid about it. And I'm starting to get them again.

What I'm saying is, if you see a guy offering work, and he ends the offer with "yes?"?

For the sake of your soul, run like hell. Wishing I had by now.

Johnny Blade
2009-11-22, 06:23 PM
Okay, that was hilarious.

Especially the entire R&G sequence/shout out. :smallbiggrin:

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-22, 06:43 PM
Poor Ian. :smalltongue:

Also, your allready at the Glow? I haven't even been to Vault City!

Terraoblivion
2009-11-22, 06:50 PM
Vault City is in Fallout 2. Would be weird if he managed to visit it here. Do you mean Necropolis, which is before The Glow if you head straight through the plot.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-22, 07:02 PM
Vault City is in Fallout 2. Would be weird if he managed to visit it here. Do you mean Necropolis, which is before The Glow if you head straight through the plot.

No, I mean Vault City. The Glow is near the end of Fallout 1's main plot, but Vault city is near the start of Fallout 2's. I started my LP of FO 2 shortly after Chia started his FO 1 LP, but he's quite alot farther then me, which was whatI was commenting on.

Terraoblivion
2009-11-22, 07:14 PM
Ah, i see. That makes sense. I didn't realize you were the one doing the Fallout 2 one. And he is sequence breaking like crazy, unless he skips the entire water chip part of the main quest in his narrative.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-22, 07:47 PM
Ah, i see. That makes sense. I didn't realize you were the one doing the Fallout 2 one. And he is sequence breaking like crazy, unless he skips the entire water chip part of the main quest in his narrative.

That's a good point. :smalltongue:

chiasaur11
2009-11-22, 08:14 PM
Well, that's the nice thing about Fallout. You can hit the quests at your own pace.

I figured the chip, while it is worth grabbing, would be a lot lower of a priority for a freelance peacekeeper to whom it's just another paycheck than for the Vault Dweller, whose whole society depends on it. Which means it's lower priority than getting some good gear and a bounty on whatever supermutants you run into.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-22, 08:20 PM
Well, that's the nice thing about Fallout. You can hit the quests at your own pace.

I figured the chip, while it is worth grabbing, would be a lot lower of a priority for a freelance peacekeeper to whom it's just another paycheck than for the Vault Dweller, whose whole society depends on it. Which means it's lower priority than getting some good gear and a bounty on whatever supermutants you run into.

Out of curiosity then, are you using any mods to remove the time limit? Also, can you take a picture of your charcter screen? I'm curious as to your SPECIAL/Perks/Skill selection.

chiasaur11
2009-11-22, 08:23 PM
Out of curiosity then, are you using any mods to remove the time limit? Also, can you take a picture of your charcter screen? I'm curious as to your SPECIAL/Perks/Skill selection.

Nah, but the limit is pretty generous. And I'll take a stats screenshot after the visit to the Brotherhood. Should be ready by tomorrow.

chiasaur11
2009-11-23, 03:12 PM
"Ah. You're...back. Well. Huh."

"Said you'd pay on completion, yes? Wouldn't want to go to a lot of effort for no money."

"Ah. Well. I guess you'd talk to Kedrick or Talus about that, and as Kedrick died recently, it means Talus is the only guy who can authorize payment. I guess you can come in. Can't believe it. Someone actually survived the glow..."

Huh. Suicide mission? Well, done that before. And if they pay up in the end, well, I could ignore some previous problems. And if they didn't, well, not my fault if some problems come of it, right?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Brotherhood2.jpg

Locals didn't seem enthused about someone passing the admissions test. Well, I came to be paid, not liked. Found Talus before too long.

"So, uh... You're the new recruit? Didn't think anyone would ever recover the data from the glow after we lost three patrols there. Hell, I thought by now all the idiots wanting to join up would be dissuaded by hearing the location. And yet, here you are."

"Name's Death's Head. Heard of me, right? I heard you had a mutant problem. If the money's right, I could deal with it. Of course, I'll need payment for that earlier job first."

"Payment? I thought the brotherhood attracted a better class of individuals than that. You get money obsessed brigands and bounty hunters in the waste..."

"And you get freelance peacekeepers in here, yes?"

"Right. Sure. Well, I am authorized to give you some brotherhood combat armor. Best gear in the wastes, assuming you aren't a Paladin. I could also throw in a couple of rifles and some ammo. Sound good, 'Peacekeeping Agent'?"

"Works for now. And payment for dealing with the mutants?"

"Talk to Maxon. I just control requisitions."

"Fine. And the Paladin armor you mentioned?"

"Well, most of that stuff is under lock and key. You'd need to work for years to get a good enough rank to wear it. Of course, if you could fix a busted up suit, that might be something else. There's a guy on the third floor if you want to talk about that."

Right. Go see Maxon, huh? Add in some power armor and the first decent guns I'd seen since I came here, and the trip to the glow doesn't seem like a waste of time, yes?

Elevator worked well enough. I left Ian and Tycho behind at the armory. Apparently, if they helped with the job, they get some gear as well. Which means more payment for me in the long run. If worse comes to worse, I could grab the rifles off the corpses, yes?

Found Maxon in a room on the fourth floor.

"Heard you have a bit of a mutant problem. I might be able to solve it for you, yes?"

"I'm sorry. I have no idea who you are, why you're coming to me mentioning a problem that I have NOT discussed with recruits, or why I shouldn't suspend your pay for the month for disrupting my preparations for a meeting with the council of Elders."

"Maybe because I recovered the disk from the glow? Heard your troops hadn't been able to do it for years. Maybe because I know what the mutants are planning. Probably, because I'm the best you're likely to find for the job, yes?"

"Wait. You. Went. To. The Glow. Shouldn't you be dead? Stupid question. Well, we do need to know where the mutants are coming from. There's a list of sites I've been trying to get the council to scout out. If you could find anything..."

"Sounds like a bargain. The sites?"

"The necropolis, the military base up north, and a cathedral down by the boneyards. We don't know where the mutants are coming from, but I think it's one of those three locations. Good luck."

"Now there's just the matter of payment."

"Strange set of priorities you have."

"I know, should have mentioned payment first, right? Still, figured you might not be inclined to offer full value for the service without some credentials."

"Recruits these days... 1,000 caps?"

"Works out okay. Just make sure you have the money ready when I get back."

I found Ian and Tycho in the equipment repair locker. Seems they tracked down a broken suit of power armor. Lucky break, right?

Just need to get it fixed. Figured Ian should give it the first go. Might be an explosion, and he is the most expendable.

"Me? Why can't Tycho do it?"

"Hey, I don't have any skill at this kind of thing."

"You said the Desert Rangers had an old Highwayman! You aren't going to tell me you found one of those pristine after the bombs fell."

"Someone else fixed it. All I did was try to change the gas."

"Sounds like practical experience to me."

"The fuel tank exploded. Three people were injured. I was in the hospital for a month."

Seems like I have to do something else myself. Not exactly a mechanical genius. Always had someone else to deal with it.

Like a building full of unarmed engineers without field experience.

Amazing how pursuasive a properly framed argument can be. Not that I needed one. Mentioning the uses one finds for six inch metal tusks did the trick.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/Brotherhood4.jpg

Got armor, some weapons, and a couple of jobs. Life's looking up, yes?

chiasaur11
2009-11-23, 06:41 PM
So, a question for the audience:

Considering the amount of mutants, odds are if Ian and Tycho go into the Military base, it's an odds on bet neither one is getting out alive.

So, guts and glory, or a chance at survival?

Cristo Meyers
2009-11-23, 06:44 PM

Considering the amount of mutants, odds are if Ian and Tycho go into the Military base, it's an odds on bet neither one is getting out alive.

WWDHD?

Would Death's Head give a damn?

No, I think not.

Totally not biased from taking one too many shots to the backside from Ian...nope...not at all...

chiasaur11
2009-11-23, 06:46 PM
Good point. Excellent point.

No he wouldn't. I mean, he let Captain America get brutally murdered to slow a villain down.

Oslecamo
2009-11-23, 07:18 PM
I vote for geting moar power armor for your loyal minions.

Altough now that you get power armor the game becomes much much easier. I talk from personal experience of having suicide rushed to the Glow with litle more than a pair of radaways to get the awesome BoS equipment.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-23, 07:47 PM

Give them a chance at survival. I like Tycho. :smalltongue:

Also, I have no idea who Death's Head is, and I take it you didn't just come up with him. Superhero/Villain from the Marvel or DC universe thoughyes?, I assume?

chiasaur11
2009-11-23, 07:49 PM
Give them a chance at survival. I like Tycho. :smalltongue:

Also, I have no idea who Death's Head is, and I take it you didn't just come up with him. Superhero/Villain from the Marvel or DC universe though, yes?

He's from Marvel.

Not a hero by any means, but he works on the side of the angels as often as not.

On the other hand, he killed Bumblebee. And in an alternate universe, brought Captain America on a mission as a temporary distraction.

Didn't go well, that bit.

chiasaur11
2009-11-24, 07:03 PM
On the way out of the brotherhood headquarters, someone walked up. Seemed a initiate was missing.

As I was about to mention the fact I wasn't running a charity, the pay was mentioned. A suit of power armor worth over ten thousand is enough to take a look around the hub, yes?

Would do that later, though. For now, I had a job to "investigate" some mutant problems. Three sites to check.

Went to the Necropolis first. Hub's on the way back so another job can get finished, and they might have the chip a guy wanted when I first came here. Getting paid more than once for the same job? Usually a good idea.

Still seemed about right when we got ambushed by a bunch of zombies. Slow, easy to kill, unarmed...

Probably where the reports of mutants were coming from, huh? If this kept up, I was getting overpaid for the job.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ZombieLand1.jpg

Funny, though. Seemed the zombie types were rather peaceable when left alone. Possibly even communicating. Been hired to massacre harmless pacifists before just for being in the wrong place.

Hope this is one of those jobs. Good pay for an easy job always makes for a better time than having to kill someone who can fight back, yes?

Hoping Tycho wouldn't notice if that was the case. Wouldn't want complications on a job that could go this quickly.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ZombieLand2.jpg

Figured the sewers should be checked too. Clean sweep of the place means I don't miss a check on "lack of thoroughness" or some other excuse.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ZombieLand3.jpg

Found a few more of the zombies. Readied a shot when they threw up their arms in surrender.

Pacifists. I love this job.

"You're giving up? Well, if you've seen a few supermutants around, we could probably work something out."

Usually. Hero types tend to complicate things until they get themselves killed. I prefer the simple jobs. People pay me to kill people, I kill them, they pay me. Not killing people is just a waste of talents.

"We are grateful, smoothskins. The mutants you seek are near the central water facility. If you free us from their terror, we can reward you. Not all of us are as disdainful of outsiders as Set."

Ah. Pay. That works too.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ZombieLand4.jpg

Ah. Seems the rumors of supermutants weren't entirely inaccurate. Hadn't killed one yet. Should be interesting.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ZombieLand5.jpg

Especially with some of them armed. Figured I should try to find out if they knew anything. Might be a bonus for some good information, yes.

Wasn't as productive as I hoped.

"If you aren't a Mutant, and you aren't a Ghoul, and you aren't a normal, what am you?"

"Freelance Peacekeeping Agent. And it seems I'm not getting anything more about the master out of you, yes?"

"No! Lou says no to tell, we no tell!"

"Well, guess that's the end of the conversation, huh?"

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ZombieLand6.jpg

Not too bright. Finished off the local groupquickly enough.

Only I figure a group this dumb shouldn't be able to have guns that good. Doesn't match up.

Well, the ghouls seemed grateful. Weren't the primary target anyway, as it worked out. And they knew where to find a water chip. Well, didn't seem like a high paying job by current standards, but you finish what you're paid to do. Basic courtesy.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ZombieLand7.jpg

"Another Vault? Please tell me this one isn't full of more rats the size of most smaller tribal camps. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for stealing good prewar tech, but I prefer not to have my arm eaten in getting it."

"Rodents of unusual size? I always thought Ian was a psycho addict. Nice to have the theory confirmed. I'll scout on ahead. Don't want the brotherhood to lose one of those shiny suits after we just got it fixed."

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ZombieLand8.jpg

"Alright. No rats. Just a couple of radioactive zombies snacking on a previous visitor. Dealt with them, should be smooth sailing from here on out."

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ZombieLand9.jpg

Water chip was easy enough to find. Well, two jobs done.

Got to love a steady paycheck, yes?

And, as a bonus, current SPECIAL stats!

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/CharacterPic.jpg

Johnny Blade
2009-11-24, 10:14 PM
I assume you're not going to fix the pump?

chiasaur11
2009-11-25, 08:47 PM
"So, we're done here? Seems like it'll leave the locals a bit low on water. Probably just a personal quirk, but I find it a bit useful in day to day life. Maybe we should fix the old treatment plant. Ghouls aren't my kind of people normally, but some of them seem alright."

"Well, not our concern, yes? No cash offered for the job means no reason for me to take it. Combine the lack of motivation with the fact none of us are good with water treatment equipment and leaving seems a sensible option."

"I know, but the brotherhood had some good repair techs around. Considering how much they owe us...

Couldn't hurt to ask."

"It could. We're on a tight deadline if we want to... save the wasteland from the mutant menace, right?"

And to keep the pay regular. I've said before that I'm not a fan of charity work, yes?

"I didn't say you'd need to go. I'd just go there and try to set something up myself. Meet you at the old military base. Unless you were planning on checking the cathedral first?"

"Fine. Just don't expect me to be paying you for your personal excursions, huh?"

"I'm pretty sure pay is now, as always, what you get off the bodies of the things you kill. Well, be seeing you."

So, Tycho's going to be gone for a bit. On one hand, one fewer body between me and anybody with a shameful inability to understand that killing a family member was just business.

Good to not have anyone around who might object to a job, though.

"Did Tycho just say he was leaving? Finally. I was beginning to get tired of hearing 'But we wouldn't. I mean, that would be wrong.'"

"You're not alone in that opinion, yes? Still, always good to have someone ready to die first if things get unpleasant. Can't trust you to do it if the going gets bad, right?"

"Whichever answer won't leave me dead right now."

Well, always some work down at the Hub. Might as well check for the missing brotherhood initiate. Hate to be seen breaking contracts. Word gets around.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ZombieLand10.jpg

Saw a locked door and heavily armed guards. Not a rare sight in the bad part of town, but it's worth a look.

I went in to check. Probably just a local kidnapping or drug shipment. Still, never hurts to check for work.

"I told you this was a bad idea! Oh, let's kidnap a guy who works for the most heavily teched up group in the wastes. And now we're all dead."

Well, came to the right place, yes?

"Never said I was going to kill you. Only getting paid to recover the initiate."

And then I get a bullet to the eye.

Well, tried to be good natured. It's not my fault I'm being forced to resort to force.

A few laser rounds later the room was filled with bodies.

Some people just can't be reasonable about these things.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ZombieLand11.jpg

Well, rescued the initiate. Any job you get paid for is generally a job well done, right?

chiasaur11
2009-11-27, 02:05 AM
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/PurgetheMutant1.jpg

Took a week, but I managed to meet Tycho at the military base I was getting paid to investigate. Considering the fanaticism of the supermutants I'd met so faar, it looks like I picked the better paying side. Means I'll need to see the work through to completion, yes?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/PurgetheMutant2.jpg

The brotherhood had sent some troops to clear the gate. Guess this job really was important, huh?

Laser Gatling guns, rocket launchers, the sort of toys I used to have for when things get bad. Shame they're clients. Be nice to get one of my own.

"So, you go in first and I provide the backup, right? Seems reasonable work for the pay."

"Figured it would, 'freelancer'. Of course, if it was that easy, we wouldn't be hiring you. Security detects any normals wandering in. One man in full power armor might be able to get in without raising any alarms. Anyone else heads in, and any and all on base defenses, up to and including pre war combat droids, activate. And then things get messy."

"Ah. So, I'm going to risk my life alone for your little band of reclusive scientists while you sit back in comfort, yes?"

"Think of it as risking your life for your paycheck."

"Admire your gift for phrasing things, yes?"

Tycho seemed almost regretful. Mentioned he had an idiotic hero complex, right?

"If it would do any good for anybody I'd be heading in myself. But, well, it wouldn't. Seems you can take the dog, though. Hope it manages to do something more helpful than pee on Ian's leg, as amusing as that is, because, well, we're all counting on you."

Ian was muttering something in the corner that seemed to disprove the nice little theory of Tycho's.

"Now, I've never been a praying man, but, well, if you're out there... Please make sure the boss doesn't come back. I regret everything wrong I ever did. Please, please..."

Making life more miserable for an irritant, getting paid, and indulging in wholesale slaughter. I knew there was a reason I took this kind of work.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/PurgetheMutant3.jpg

The purpose wasn't to get dog parts all over a nice shiny suit of armor. Should have expected some sentries by the door. Well, what's passed is passed. Minigun one of them had reduced the dog to a fine red mist. The laser rifle I'd picked up earlier left all three mutants by the door in pieces. Well, the armor could be cleaned later. No real harm done.

And if I kept moving, I might find whatever I was looking for before more patrols showed up. I've had jobs start out worse.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/PurgetheMutant4.jpg

Most places I deal with at least try to ensure the security systems can't be turned against the owners of the place by anyone with experience randomly guessing passwords. Simple enough to set it to slaughtering anything organic.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/PurgetheMutant5.jpg

Didn't deal with everything, of course. Just as well. Don't want anyone to think I didn't earn the payment, yes?

Laser rifle rounds to the eyes dealt with most of the hostiles before they could respond, and most of the shots they did manage to fire didn't get through the armor. Guess I should check the bodies, huh?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/PurgetheMutant6.jpg
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/PurgetheMutant7.jpg

Laser Gatling gun and a plasma rifle?

Getting paid before the job gets done. Sometimes life just turns out well, yes?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/PurgetheMutant8.jpg

Flower was a bit less interesting. Seems one of the mutants was a sentimental type.

And he let it interfere with work. Did him a favor by killing him, huh?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/PurgetheMutant9.jpg

Well, not many more problems between me and the central chamber. Meant I found the command center fairly easily. Seemed a large, heavily armed mutant was discussing current plans with a guy in a robe. Could be a lot of useful information.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/PurgetheMutant10.jpg

Well, I wasn't getting paid to talk.

The man in the robe got torn up in the crossfire almost immediately.

"The wisdom of the master WILL NOT BE DENIED. The weak shall be brought to greatness. The wasteland shall be tamed. And you will never be able to stop us."

"Heard this sort of thing before, yes? Never works out well."

"You malign the force that will shape this wasteland from this moment through eternity? A shame you will die before

*Gurk!*"
*Whump*

Was hoping that would work. Really, if you're going to be talking during a gunfight, at least have something amusing to say. I mean, every word out of my mouth is worth hearing, but we can't all be that lucky, right?

Well, might as well finish up.

Found a self destruct system. Quicker than killing everything in the building myself if I'm trying to just get the money.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/PurgetheMutant11.jpg

"Finished here. Better be going, yes?"

"Finished? You dealt with the entire garrison in less than twenty hours?"

"In a manner of speaking. We can discus the details from a safe distance."

"What do you mean by that?"

Already halfway gone by then, of course. Not my fault if some people didn't have basic self preservation instincts.

Seemed they got the idea in time, though.

Meant I had company watching the whole complex explode.

Can't be any doubt if that one got done. Two sites down, one to go.

Wonder if I can get the armor cleaning bills covered under expenses.

GolemsVoice
2009-11-27, 07:41 AM
Oh, brilliant. I love your style, it brings a fresh perspective. But did you fix the water pump of-screen (or rather, did Tyhcho do it)?

Terraoblivion
2009-11-27, 11:01 AM
And have you returned the chip to the vault? And i agree that Death's Head is hilarious as the Vault Dweller, gives quite a different angle on things. Especially since he doesn't seem to care about this world at all.

chiasaur11
2009-11-27, 11:16 PM
A little talk with the brotherhood paladins confirmed the last target down south. Unfortunately, they didn't know exactly where it was. And they were unwilling to invest any more resources helping someone who clearly already knew what he was doing.

Well, I was getting paid. Might as well head in the general direction of the objective.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/LastStop1.jpg

Of course, it didn't go as easily as I'd like. A few things managed to spread out from the base. Inconvenient, yes?

"Okay. These things? This is why we should just quit now and let the supposed professionals handle it."

"And miss the best paying job I've managed to find in months? You haven't learned just how badly a job can go, yes? Worse things to deal with than a few genetic monstrosities."

"Whatever you say! Not complaining!"

Nothing much else worthy of note until we reached a small town. A building on the outskirts had some heavily armed guards. Probably the law or a local gang. Either way, they'd probably have some work they'd need done, hmm?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/LastStop2.jpg

Deathclaws?

Good thing I'd dealt with this kind of thing before. After a few minutes agreeing on payment, I headed out. Did this earlier without a plasma rifle. Wouldn't be harder properly equipped.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/LastStop3.jpg

Just like I said, yes?

The rest of them weren't too much more trouble. Might as well head back and collect the money right now. Then Tycho broke the silence.

"Uh, Death's Head? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm hearing something from the lower levels. Think we should take a look?"

"We are be paid for the job, yes? That means we shouldn't be leaving it half done. It looks bad for future clients."

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/LastStop4.jpg

Ah. Bigger Deathclaw. Seemed to be a mother.

Well, explains why there were so many Deathclaws in the area. And it means that it's easy enough to know when the job is done.

On the downside, it managed to rip into my armor before I managed to take it down, and I didn't get expenses covered in the contract. Stupid oversight, right?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/LastStop5.jpg

"So, they're all dead? Well, glad to hear it. The payment's in the lockers."

Plasma weapons, chainswords, power fists...

Not a bad afternoon's work. Might as well check if anyone else is hiring nearby.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/LastStop6.jpg

Found a few people who knew where the last mutant base was. Said they'd help out, but considering the equipment they had, I figured they wouldn't do that much.

Said they should help anyway. Never hurts to have a distraction in a pinch, yes?

Well, that's two jobs almost done. Might as well see if there's another quick buck around here.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/LastStop7.jpg

The local gang didn't have much. Seems the leader had been accused of murdering the mayor's son. Not a lot of money, but it was better than nothing. Corrupt local guards, horrible murder, sob story...

Tycho seemed to buy it. Probably true, but more important, it paid five hundred caps.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/LastStop8.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/LastStop8.jpg

Went to see the mayor. Before I could mention why I'd came, he spoke up.

"So, I hear you're the sort of man who can, well, get things done."

"True enough. You need someone dealt with?"

"Local gang leader. She murdered my son. I'll give you 2000 caps for her head on a platter. We've lived in fear for too long!"

"Ah, the gang leader up north, right? Sounds good."

And then Tycho had to ruin it.

"But she's innocent! I may not have been here long, but the evidence is fairly solid. It was your supposed bodyguards. Not my fault if you can't see who's been pulling the strings. I got a holodisk to prove it, if you need more evidence."

"Now, Tycho, not our place to question a client, yes? I'll do the job. Just have the money..."

"The regulators? Is this true?"

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/LastStop9.jpg

The bullet to the back of his skull seemed to indicate it was.

There went two thousand. And probably five hundred.

The guards tried to kill me next, of course. When this sort of thing goes bad they always shoot the messenger.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/LastStop10.jpg

Or try to.

I had a little talk with Tycho afterwards. Seems he didn't understand basic business.

"Now look at what happened. We went from a job worth two thousand to nothing. I thought you understood how these things work, yes? People pay me money to kill other people. Simple, effective, everyone who's still alive goes home satisfied."

"I'm sorry. I thought you had some moral standards. That woman was innocent and we both knew it."

"Not my place to judge what people pay me to do. I stick to the simple things. Fulfilling a job is fulfilling a job, money's money."

"And murder's murder."

"Going to report me to the authorities? Be better if you didn't for all concerned, right?"

"No. You did a lot of good from what I've seen, and you're probably the only man up to dealing with the mutants. Unfortunately. Doesn't mean I have to stick around."

Ian interjected

"You're leaving? I'm not just hallucinating here, right? I'm guessing no, as the talking brahmin hasn't shown up."

"Might as well. Got a water treatment plant to double check on, at minimum."

And he left.

Well, best be finishing the job, yes?

Had a water chip to deliver when this was all over. Might get less if I keep the client waiting.

Oslecamo
2009-11-28, 06:01 AM
It's just my impression, or you tagged melee, plasma and small guns? Well, I guess talking and lockpicking is for wimps!

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-28, 01:52 PM
Poor Dogmeat. :smallfrown:

Tycho leaving was probably for his own good, though.

chiasaur11
2009-11-28, 08:13 PM
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ReligiousDebate.jpg

Managed to reach the cathedral fairly quickly. Take out any mutants here, and the job for the brotherhood is finished. Which means, other than delivering the water chip I picked up, I'd be out of work.

Hope that doesn't happen, yes?

Ian and the scouts from the Followers of the apocolypse were heading in with me. Didn't like any of them, which means their inevitable deaths will be a nice bonus, more than an inconvenience.

Seemed an unusual lead, though. Well, I was getting paid.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ReligiousDebate2.jpg

A follower plant managed to open the back door without having to kill everyone in the building for a key.

Either solution would work for me. Not being paid by raw body count, after all.

Some super mutants on the upper floor confirmed that I was in the right place. They had some kind of stealth equipment on them. Useful stuff for a base raid, right?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ReligiousDebate3.jpg

Unfortunately, Ian was sobbing incoherently by the time we reached the lower floors. Something about invisible demons, terrors beyond comprehension, that sort of thing.

Whatever he thought he was dealing with, he was useless. Left him sobbing on the floor. Some people can't deal with the most ordinary situations.

Not that the Followers of the Apocalypse sent to help did much better.

"Um, Death's Head, does this sort of thing normally have someone whimpering in fear this early on? I mean, I can't blame him. Seeing a mutant melt into goo, well, I hoped to avoid dealing with that kind of thing."

"Part of the business ..."

"Katja. And I was hoping it wasn't. I mean, I've had to fight some before, comes with living in the wastes, but, well, usually it doesn't get this bad. And from what the guy whimpering in the corner was saying, it gets worse."

"As I said, the risks come with the pay."

"Doesn't seem worth it then. I mean, I'm risking my life to save the world, sure, but for money?"

"Seems someone doesn't know how the world works."

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ReligiousDebate4.jpg

Ah. Another vault. Always something odd going on with these things, yes?

Rest of the group seemed a bit more impressed. Katja was the only one who spoke up. Seems some people don't know when to shut up.

"Never seen anything like it. So, the whole world was like this before the war? What a waste. We had something worth fighting for, and we lost it in the fighting."

Some days everyone's an amateur philosopher.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ReligiousDebate5.jpg

Seeing some mutants lower down ensured some silence at least.

Not for as long as I'd like, though.

"So, we're expected to kill heavily armed biological tanks? I thought this was a scouting mission!"

"Might have misrepresented the work earlier, yes? I'll go on ahead. If you want to stay in cover, fine. Not my fault none of you have any tactical skills, right?"

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ReligiousDebate7.jpg

Seems the situation was worse than I thought. Robotic guard systems started attacking as soon as I went near the lockers. Plasma rifle and the gatling gun dealt with the situation eventually, but it took longer than I'd like for no benefit.

I went back to check the scouts.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ReligiousDebate6.jpg

Seems they didn't do well while I was away, yes? Every single one of them was dead. I manged to finish off the mutants, but it was too late for the poor...

Can't keep it up. Couldn't care less about the scouts, yes?

Found something interesting in the science labs. Seems some interdimensional com systems were being worked on in addition to the mutagens. Not complete, but I might be able to do something with it. Well, finish the job at hand first, huh?

Which meant going deeper into the base.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ReligiousDebate8.jpg

And suddenly I'm in front of giant mutated wad of flesh hearing an echoing voice in my head.

"So, you're the intruder. The being the being who threatens the unity (unity!). No wonder you refuse to join the unity. A being of steel, envious of the rapture of the flesh (Flesh). You know you will only serve (serve)..."

Went on like that for a bit.

Basically, it seemed the lump of mutated tissue wanted to create a paradise of perfect mutants using an old virus. Somehow it had developed psychic powers and was trying to control anyone attacking.

I've dealt with worse, yes? Only real risk was dying of boredom.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ReligiousDebate9.jpg

Plasma rifle dropped the Master. Unfortunately he'd set the base to detonate. Wouldn't want to die before collecting my pay, right? Headed out as fast as I could.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ReligiousDebate10.jpg

Had some unexpected visitors.

Ian was trying to run in a panic, which wasn't exactly surprising, but it didn't seem clear why Tycho was there.

"Brotherhood figured someone should make sure you did the job you were getting paid to do. I was on premises at the time. In other words, bad luck. Judging from the radio signals I picked up as I came over here, I'm guessing we should be running now."

Well, be done with this place soon enough, right?

chiasaur11
2009-11-29, 02:33 AM
Once I reached minimum safe distance, I checked the com device I found in the labs.

Mostly busted, but it was in good enough shape to let the TVA know what happened, yes?

"So, you couldn't handle a guy in a scarf."

"Not alone on that count, right? Besides, I checked the contract. It said to attempt to apprehend. Nothing about success."

"Fine. Re-acquisition of freelance peacekeeping agent (Designate Death's Head) from timestream 59.76W-19 will commence in .453 standard time units."

Well, that left enough time to pick up the pay from the brotherhood and deliver the chip I'd been asked to find when this whole mess started. End where I came in, huh?

The brotherhood job went well enough. Got the pay, turned in the caps I'd picked up for more liquid assets, headed off.

Didn't manage to ditch Ian, though.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ReligiousDebate11.jpg

"Brought the chip you were after. We said five hundred, right?"

Only I didn't get the money. Just some speech about the best minds of a generation leaving the vault. Not my problem, yes?

And then he started walking away.

Then Ian did the first useful thing in my entire time in the wasteland.

"You only kill for money, yeah? Which means, as much as this guy is irritating us both, you can't drop him?"

"About the size of it, yes?"

"Five caps to off him. Cash."

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz27/chiasaur11/ReligiousDebate12.jpg

Well, never been one for long goodbyes. Gave a halfhearted wave and walked into the wastes. Got picked up a few hours later, managed to get back to a multiversal stream where I knew where to pick up the good jobs, and here we are.

No idea what happened to everyone else. Not my problem.

So, worst job you ever pulled?

And that's it. Hope you all enjoyed this whole Fallout let's play jobby. I generally had a good time writing it.

And if anyone cares, I could write up the endings, but, you know, too lazy at the moment.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-29, 11:39 AM
Endings please.
So you shot the guy too?
Overseer is a too much a jerk not to shoot him really.

Selrahc
2009-11-29, 12:02 PM
So no encounter with the Doctor then? After that opening where Deaths Head was dropped off by him I was looking forward to another encounter with the Tardis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVtPf-1CEkY&feature=related).

Johnny Blade
2009-11-29, 12:34 PM
And if anyone cares, I could write up the endings, but, you know, too lazy at the moment.
I wonder what you think of us that don't have 5 Let's Plays to their names if you call yourself lazy. :smallamused:

Anyways, I really enjoyed this.

Good thing that you didn't try to hype the showdown up but stayed in character, too.

chiasaur11
2009-11-29, 03:50 PM
Shady Sands: Faced with the realization of the risks of the wasteland, combined with a brief respite from the regular problems, Shady Sands began aggressive research and improvement efforts. The New California Republic eventually grew from this humble village, the closest thing to a tolerable central government the wastes had seen since the bombs fell.

Junktown: Junktown did reasonably well under Killian Darkwater, even if the loss of income from Gizmo's Casino cut into the income. Eventually, what with one thing and another, the NCR extended in the general direction of Junktown, and the local citizenry, already prone to politics in the absence of the more enjoyable vices, quickly joined the new government.

Necropolis: Despite the best efforts of well meaning individuals like Tycho and Rhombus, the Necropolis steadily ceased to be an independent city and became a fiefdom of the brotherhood of steel, with the vault from which the ghouls originated continually raided for better technology. It was a tolerable life, better than a lot of fates that could befall a bunch of odd looking mutants in a hostile wasteland, but there was still resentment, and occasionally deaths.

The Brotherhood of Steel: The Brotherhood did reasonably well, all things considered. The defeat of the mutants ensured military superiority and the technology recovered from the ruins of the pre war Military base kept their scientists busy. All in all, a little expansionism was unsuprising. Although it didn't outright conquer free cities, and decent men like Rhombus and Maxon prevented some of the worst abuses of conquerors, many small centers of technology without militaries found themselves swept into a Brotherhood finally forced to look outside its own complex.

The Hub: The Hub was caught between expanding empires. Decent enough empires, as such things go, but empires none the less. It wasn't a surprise when much of the city went north, falling apart even before a ambassador from the New California Republic came with an offer of statehood. Eventually, the land and few settlers assimilated well enough, but the freewheeling Hub atmosphere was now a thing of the North cities rather than the city that had once set the pace for the waste.

The Boneyard: Tossed into chaos by the death of the local security force, the Boneyard was an easy target for the remaining raider groups. It was a decade before the New California Rangers began to restore the city to some level of civilization, and two more before it became a full state in the NCR rather than a glorified prison camp.

The Followers of the Apocalypse: Few members of the organization survived after the disastrous (for them) raid on the Master's cathedral, and they were ill prepared to defend their headquarters, especially with the Gun Runners gone. Less than a dozen of them escaped to the safety of the NCR, and any organizational cohesion was gone.

Tycho: The desert ranger who accompanied Death's Head on his travels through the waste never forgot what he saw throughout the wastes. He devoted his life, as before, to defending the defenseless, saving the oppressed, and generally pulling off the hero act. He eventually helped form the New California Rangers, on the model of the Nevada and Texas groups of the same name. Not the worst legacy.

Ian: Amazed at his survival, Ian promised to live a better life. This lasted about five days. In the years to follow, he would drunkenly tell the story of a metal demon that he narrowly escaped from to anyone who would listen. It got him free drinks until someone else stole the story from him and started telling it better.

Vault 13: Survived. The water chip worked, the death of the overseer proved only a minor problem, and the body of the man sent out to find a chip provided valuable fuel for vault gossip, a rarity. As time wore on, the vault began to send out expedition teams and scouts, eventually running into the new NCR, which was more than happy to gain access to pre war tech. In general, things went as well as could be hoped.

Death's Head: Became another legend of the waste, like Deathclaws, a disappearing phone box, and the talking brahmin. Long after the last non-ghoul who'd met him died of old age, mercenaries, explorers and traders throughout the wastes told stories of a metal demon, with tusks a foot long and eyes that promised death to all who dared cross it.

Well, that's done. Fallout Lp'd in less than three weeks.

Critiques on problems with this and my work in general are welcome. I mean, I know I work fast, but, well, I'd like to know if any problems arise from that.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-29, 04:42 PM
disappearing phone box

Oh I wonder what this could possibly be. :smalltongue:

I see no problems, really. Unless you've got problems with the occasional typos that EVERYBODY has (which I haven't noticed many of, actually).

chiasaur11
2009-11-29, 06:50 PM
Wow. No problems? And some virtues?

I guess that's a fairly large compliment.

So, any opinions on what I should do next?

Still have all the games from earlier queries, and I got KOTOR and Metroid Prime recently.

Prime, though, I'd need some help to get the screenshot system set up.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-29, 07:01 PM
I Wanna be the Guy

KOTOR should be interesting... but so should Prime...

This is a confusing conundrum. I'll get back to you later with a game you don't have. :smalltongue:

Terraoblivion
2009-11-29, 07:09 PM
Metroid Prime would be awesome. Especially to see how you deal with the utter terror that is Ridley in this game. That was where i gave up when i played it. I found everything in the game, then bam, Ridley appears and proved to be more than i could deal with.

chiasaur11
2009-11-29, 07:23 PM
Well, the upside to Prime is I got the fancy trilogy edition with the built in screenshot function.

The downside is I'd need some friend vouchers or suchlike to use it. Which is, well, bad.

So help would be appreciated on that front is what I'm saying. I'll post the friend code do-hicky soonish if anyone actually can help on that front.

Not saying that sending me those would ensure that LP would happen. Just saying it would kind of not work without it.

Terraoblivion
2009-11-29, 07:26 PM
Oooh, i see. That should make Ridley much easier since it was largely problems with aiming while moving that made him so frustrating for me.

chiasaur11
2009-11-29, 07:30 PM
Oooh, i see. That should make Ridley much easier since it was largely problems with aiming while moving that made him so frustrating for me.

Did it before with no major problems anyway.

Really, the worst bit, if memory serves, was the chamber before the final boss with infinite metroids. Once I reduced tactics in that room to run and/or powerbomb, things went smoothly and I got to Prime.

Who took several tries.

Cubey
2009-11-29, 09:43 PM
Well well, that was definitely a fast one.
I suggest Metroid Prime for your next LP!

Mewtarthio
2009-11-29, 09:55 PM
A game starring a genocidal bounty hunter with a propensity for destroying entire ecosystems to kill her targets? Chiasaur, I do believe Samus Aran was made for you to LP! :smallbiggrin:

Re: Friend vouchers: My parents live half an hour away, they have a Wii, and I played Corruption on it a couple of years back. The only problems are, I don't know if Corruption vouchers (the original MP3, mind you, not the trilogy version) will work for you, and I've never tried setting up their Wii's wireless connection.

EDIT: Oh, and I didn't pay attention to Friend Vouchers when I played it, and I certainly didn't keep track of them over the past two years, so I don't know how many I have.

chiasaur11
2009-11-29, 11:15 PM
Well, Metroid would probably be delayed a tad. The whole needing to unlock screenshot functionality bit, being a ways into the game already, large pictures...

Still, it's on the list.

Meanwhile, other suggestions will be considered. I mean, why not?

Lord of Rapture
2009-11-30, 09:07 AM
Hmmm.... what games do you have anyway?

Reading this LP really gives me an idea for my own LP for a KOTOR game... as soon as I can get one to run anyway... stupid Vista. :smallannoyed:

Starbuck_II
2009-11-30, 09:17 AM
Wow. No problems? And some virtues?

I guess that's a fairly large compliment.

So, any opinions on what I should do next?

Still have all the games from earlier queries, and I got KOTOR and Metroid Prime recently.

Prime, though, I'd need some help to get the screenshot system set up.

Resident evil (any version)? Granted, I guess Death's hand can't be infected :smallbiggrin:

Otherwise KOTOR is my votes.

chiasaur11
2009-11-30, 12:49 PM
Well, KOTOR is at least under consideration after a brief break.

Assuming Knights is the pick, anyone have a preference on character design, class, name, that sort of thing?

Raroy
2009-11-30, 12:51 PM
A grey knight just trying to make sense of the universe? Also, have him only use blasters and heavy armor. That is if you pick kotar.

Mewtarthio
2009-11-30, 02:19 PM
The obvious silly choice for a name would be "Darth Revan." That's probably a little too silly, though.

As for class, I like Scoundrel/Sentinel best.

Oslecamo
2009-11-30, 03:00 PM
Can I sugest Starcraft campaign? You can always pretend the main character is one of the mooks!

Starbuck_II
2009-11-30, 03:23 PM
Well, KOTOR is at least under consideration after a brief break.

Assuming Knights is the pick, anyone have a preference on character design, class, name, that sort of thing?

Scout (unsure what Jedi), specializing in blasters, grenades, and vibroblades (screw the lightsabers, I got a old tech sword).

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-07, 10:22 PM
Can I sugest Starcraft campaign? You can always pretend the main characters is one of the mooks!

Fixed it for you. :smalltongue:

Considering what the Terran are up against, I'm sure the grunts have ample promotion oppertuinties.

Flickerdart
2009-12-07, 11:55 PM
Scout (unsure what Jedi), specializing in blasters, grenades, and vibroblades (screw the lightsabers, I got a old tech sword).
Naw. Go unarmed spec: in this world of lasers and science fiction, you win fights by using magic and punching in faces (for added bonus points, don't use Force powers, fists only).

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-08, 12:02 AM
Naw. Go unarmed spec: in this world of lasers and science fiction, you win fights by using magic and punching in faces (for added bonus points, don't use Force powers, fists only).

What's this forums obsession with getting LPers to do unarmed runs? :smallconfused:

Johnny Blade
2009-12-08, 12:24 AM
Especially when you could have a shiny lightsaber. Or two, if you are so inclined.

Celesyne
2009-12-08, 01:21 AM
If its KotOR we are talking here, I vote for a dark-side ... Force user, cant remember the class name. Only use your saber for blaster bolt deflection and just unload on everyone using dark-side powers.

Mikal
2009-12-09, 11:11 AM
I'd actually like to see Death's Head make a reappearance about 70 or so years later during FO2. DH in New Reno could make for interesting times, yes?

Vorpalbob
2010-02-20, 03:49 PM
I tried a Fallout LP about a month ago and had to cancel it due to laptop death. Now that my machine is up and running again, I am considering doing an LP of Fallout: Tactics.

I know it is not nearly as much of an RPG as the other games, but chiasaur's work has inspired me. Are there any here who think this is a good/bad idea? Concept ideas if I do end up doing it?

[EDIT]: Oh, and for a KOTOR LP, make a Scoundrel, dual-wield blasters, take only Stun and Speed powers, and rapid-fire-sneak-attack your enemies. Boss-killing has never been so easy!

chiasaur11
2010-02-21, 02:29 AM
I tried a Fallout LP about a month ago and had to cancel it due to laptop death. Now that my machine is up and running again, I am considering doing an LP of Fallout: Tactics.

I know it is not nearly as much of an RPG as the other games, but chiasaur's work has inspired me. Are there any here who think this is a good/bad idea? Concept ideas if I do end up doing it?

Well, luck. Of course, if'n you fail, I'll probably wind up picking up the slack, which'd cost me six bucks. So, try to do well, I guess.

Triaxx
2010-02-21, 08:37 AM
Actually, I'd be tempted to pick up a Tactics LP, but I couldn't keep the funny if it was that.

Vorpalbob
2010-02-21, 06:11 PM
I have some ideas for the personalities of the pre-made characters (FYI, Tactics has you make 1 character yourself and pick the other five squad members from a huge list), and will try to get some in-squad relationships going, like chiasaur's DH/Ian/Tycho banter. (making this more like one of my many short stories than an LP, but hopefully it will work!)

My only debate with myself will be; will I try to keep certain characters alive for the sake of my story? As a long-time RPGer, I have developed the habit of spamming Ctr-S and keeping everyone alive, but I think that letting some people die, even major characters like Stitch and Farsight (who you are forced to take for the first mission and whom I plan on keeping longest) will add to the story. (BTW, I see Stitch as depressed and fatalistic (think Xan from Baldur's Gate) and Farsight as a closeted lesbian with anger-management issues)

See, this /\ is what happens when I just release my fingers!

Triaxx
2010-02-21, 09:17 PM
Indeed. My problem is that I can't stop myself from messing with the team after discovering FT Tools. Nothing tromps the second mission's melee portion like a power fist wielding super mutant. Particularly one with 14 strength. 'Ripped in half like a phone book.'

chiasaur11
2010-02-21, 09:21 PM
Ever read the penny arcade Fallout Tactics LP?

Remarkably good, I thought, even unfinished.

Vorpalbob
2010-02-22, 02:51 AM
I have heard people who rant about FOT sucking because it doesn't follow canon, but its a good game! The bare-bones storyline is interesting enough to be slightly compelling, the mechanics work well with either turn-based or real-time. The only complaints I have with the game are as follows:
1. You have to save Charon TWICE (well, the first time he is already safe, you are just saving his ENTIRE VILLAGE!)
2. You are sent to rescue someone, only to find that they have been brainwashed and had said brain removed and put into a SUPER STRONG POWER SUIT OF DEATH!
3. After the discovery of Power Armour, any attempt the game makes to kill you are laughable. (OMG! that direct hit from a rocket took 20 of my 150 hit points! OH NOES!)
4. Putting the occasional point into Barter brakes the game. (Find a gun? Sell it for a lot. Find better armor? Equip your entire squad with it. Facing robots? Buy up all of the Quartermaster's EMP Shotgun shells. All this without emptying half your wallet!)

[EDIT]= Hey Triaxx, where is FT Tools?

Triaxx
2010-02-22, 10:28 AM
chiasaur11: No, but I'll have to look it up now.

Vorpalbob: Came with the patches. 1.27 puts it in the same folder as the Tactics program. Easiest way is to follow the Find Target in the shortcut back. It should be in the same folder.

EDIT: Said LP, in case anyone else wants to read it: Here. (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=43435)