PDA

View Full Version : Blood of the Father, Heart of Darkness (A Baldur's Gate Let's Play)

Gnorman
2009-11-13, 07:45 PM
On the world of Abeir-Toril, the stories of mighty heroes are told in inns, taverns, and berserker lodges across the land, by a warming fire and with a hearty mug of mead. Legends are sung and tales are spun, with men roaring and laughing at the exploits of noble knights and mysterious wizards

But who shall sing for the less-heroic amongst us? Who shall weave a yarn for the destroyers? The seducers? The corrupted, the cursed, the wretched and the damned?

Who shall tell the tale of the fell cultist, consorting with fiends and worse for his own ill-begotten gains?

Who shall tell the tale of the silent assassin, to whom a man's life is worth no more than a bag of coin?

Who shall tell the tale of the foul deity's champion, reaving and ruining in the name of his dark master?

I shall.

That's right, we're doing a Baldur's Gate LP. From the other side, for a change. An all-evil, six-man, no-NPC party. Moderately modded, with Sword Coast Stratagems to up the challenge and a good number of added kits.

Meet your protagonist, Malcolm Blackwood.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/microwavesamurai/LP%20BG2/enigmaL.jpg

Race: Tiefling
Class: Sorcerer
Alignment: Lawful Evil
STR: 8
DEX: 18
CON: 16
INT: 15
WIS: 15
CHA: 18

Malcolm Blackwood, raised by his foster father Gorion in the quiet fortress of Candlekeep, is due for quite the epic destiny. With dusky red skin and twisted horns atop his head, it's clear that he's not entirely human. But while most mistake him for a common tiefling, the truth is much stranger indeed. Not long after his twenty-third birthday, Malcolm's sorcerous ability manifested itself. He is especially gifted with conjurations and necromantic spells, drawing on an almost-inborn connection to planes outside the Prime Material.

Malcolm is intelligent and calculating, with a biting wit and a tendency to treat people around him as pawns in his own personal game. Still, he is honorable in his own way - he is loyal to those he finds worthy of his respect, and understands the value of companions who find him trustworthy and dependable. However, he has learned from an early age that deceit and false appearances are key to his survival and success - after all, a tiefling is not such a common sight on the Sword Coast that one inspires warm and welcoming reactions. He enjoys his luxuries, preferring to spend his nights in extravagant inns rather than around a campfire on the side of the road.

Now, Malcolm has a problem. He needs some friends. Or warm bodies to block swords. Life is tough out there for a level one sorcerer. Can you help him make some friends?

A few caveats: I'll be writing all the characters myself, so I'd like as much racial/class diversity as possible. 2e race/class restrictions will not necessarily apply (bless you, Shadowkeeper), so if you want to include a half-orc mage, by all means (not that it'd be a good idea). Malcolm himself is a Tiefling. I'll be doing a straight 90-point PB for each character rather than rolling interminably. I'd like two arcane spellcasters (Malcolm has one spot covered already), two divine spellcasters, at least two frontline fighters, and a thief. As we'll be taking this (hopefully) all the way into ToB, multiclassing will not only help us cover the various roles but also be ultimately beneficial. Powergamers welcome - throw me your favorite combos, but I reserve the right to create a personality to go with them!

Johnny Blade
2009-11-13, 08:13 PM
How rude of you to start before me. :smalltongue:

Anyway, are you starting in BG 1 or 2?

Oh, and I still say a Cleric/Thief is fun. Swashbuckler if you want to, but Righteous Magic and Assassinate are just too much fun to pass up for me.

What kits are available?

Starbuck_II
2009-11-13, 08:20 PM
A few caveats: I'll be writing all the characters myself, so I'd like as much racial/class diversity as possible. 2e race/class restrictions will not necessarily apply (bless you, Shadowkeeper), so if you want to include a half-orc mage, by all means (not that it'd be a good idea). Malcolm himself is a Tiefling. I'll be doing a straight 90-point PB for each character rather than rolling interminably. I'd like two arcane spellcasters (Malcolm has one spot covered already), two divine spellcasters, at least two frontline fighters, and a thief. As we'll be taking this (hopefully) all the way into ToB, multiclassing will not only help us cover the various roles but also be ultimately beneficial. Powergamers welcome - throw me your favorite combos, but I reserve the right to create a personality to go with them!

Never played Buldar's Gate 1 only #2 (Shadow of Aym). So I'll go by that.
What's Malcolm Stats? So by 90 pb: do we have 90 points or actual Point Buy like 3.5 PHB?

Bunya, Thief/Illusionist multiclass Gnome
Darkfire, Tiefling Berserker
Debis, Dwarven Cleric of Talos (reflavor as Loki)
Swarm, Halfing Totomic Druid
Petra, Dwarven Bounty Hunter
Nicole, Human Kensai/Druid

Matar
2009-11-13, 09:07 PM
Will you be allowing mods?

If so...

Spellshaper for the second class.

It is so awesome. (http://mods.jo-ge.net/bg/shaper.htm)

Edit: If you want a name, I suggest Arberus or Terente. It's what I call my mages... all the time xD

king.com
2009-11-13, 09:53 PM
A cone of cold happy sorceror could be very interesting :smallbiggrin:

Or for power gaming fun, go with a kensai until level 11 or 12 (i forget which) then dual class him into a wizard, making him/her a very impressive killing machine.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-13, 10:04 PM
This could be interesting...

Knowing nothing of Baldur's Gate, I say you need at least one guy who's telling jokes, even when the situation's dire.

For lulz, make it a wizard.

Blayze
2009-11-14, 05:55 AM
If you can find a trigger in Shadowkeeper to turn it on for a specific character, a Wizard Slayer/Mage multiclass with Wild Magic on. I dunno, perhaps they can't feel the magic to control it all the time.

Ikialev
2009-11-14, 07:46 AM
Dwarven Geomantic Sorcerer.
Halforc Jester, just because I've never seen anybody using this class. :3

Gnorman
2009-11-14, 08:10 AM
How rude of you to start before me. :smalltongue:

Anyway, are you starting in BG 1 or 2?

Oh, and I still say a Cleric/Thief is fun. Swashbuckler if you want to, but Righteous Magic and Assassinate are just too much fun to pass up for me.

What kits are available?

BG1.

Currently, I have: Anti-Paladin, Blade Master, Death Knight, Feralan, Justifier, Forest Runner, Burglar, Shadowdancer, Wushi Ninja, Sharpshooter, Ooze Master, Acrobat, Chorister, Dirgesinger, Gypsy, Arcane Fist and nearly every kit from Divine Remix - Shar, Talos, Iyachtu Xvim, and Cyric being the most notable.

Thinking about it, I would really love an Anti-Paladin as a frontliner - it's the mirror-mirror Inquisitor, a very powerful class.

Dirgesinger seems like a great Bard option, just looking at it - the song curses enemies, and they get Horror, Confusion, and Animate Dead as bonus song-spells.

So by 90 pb: do we have 90 points or actual Point Buy like 3.5 PHB?

90 points total.

Malcolm
INT: 15
CHA: 18

Debis, Dwarven Cleric of Talos (reflavor as Loki)

This I like. Likely not Loki, since we're gonna stay true to the Forgotten Realms pantheon. Speaking of which: evil gods. Any requests for particular deities to be represented? Off the top of my head, we have: Bane (technically Xvim), Gargauth, Mask, Malar, Shar, Loviatar, Beshaba, Talona, Auril, Talos, Gruumsh, Lolth, Umberlee, Cyric, Velsharoon, Bhaal, Myrkul, and Garagos. I'm partial to Bane (because I love Bane), Malar, and Gruumsh. A Cyricist and a Banite likely won't get along too well, but I'd like a good diversity of evil alignments.

Knowing nothing of Baldur's Gate, I say you need at least one guy who's telling jokes, even when the situation's dire.

Trust me, gallows humor is the best kind.

If you can find a trigger in Shadowkeeper to turn it on for a specific character, a Wizard Slayer/Mage multiclass with Wild Magic on. I dunno, perhaps they can't feel the magic to control it all the time.

Not possible, unfortunately (as far as I know) - you can only assign one kit per character.

Johnny Blade
2009-11-14, 08:47 AM
Halforc Jester, just because I've never seen anybody using this class. :3
I wonder why...:smallwink:

BG1.
Heh...looks like we'll really do quite similar Let's Plays at the same time. :smallbiggrin:

Currently, I have: Anti-Paladin, Blade Master, Death Knight, Feralan, Justifier, Forest Runner, Burglar, Shadowdancer, Wushi Ninja, Sharpshooter, Ooze Master, Acrobat, Chorister, Dirgesinger, Gypsy, Arcane Fist and nearly every kit from Divine Remix - Shar, Talos, Iyachtu Xvim, and Cyric being the most notable.
So, how about a Neutral Evil Thief/Nightcloak of Shar? Female Half-Orc, for no actual reason. I think 16/18/16/13/18/9 for stats would be okay.

Blayze
2009-11-14, 09:59 AM
I wonder why...:smallwink:

I always pictured a Half-Orc Jester (Or any other type of Bard) as being prone to Death Metal.

RationalGoblin
2009-11-14, 06:00 PM
Ooooh, this looks cool. Will follow it closely. Oh, and of course, you can pick and choose from the characters I suggest. You don't have to pick them all.

Durk Stonemaw, Half-Orc Burglar.
Eriel the Unbroken, Tielfing Death Knight.
Auric Bleaktongue, Human Cleric of Cyric.
Koril, Elf Ooze Master.
Grungik, Dwarven Druid.
Jon, Human Fighter/Anti-Paladin.
Ezekiel Tombwright, Human Wizard (Necromancer).
Lorias, Female Elf (Drow?) Cleric of Lloth.
Basil the Imposter, Human Cleric of Mask.

Johnny Blade
2009-11-14, 08:05 PM
I always pictured a Half-Orc Jester (Or any other type of Bard) as being prone to Death Metal.
I actually think most performance art would match both the intentionally confusing Jester Song and the penalties to INT and CHA that Half-Orcs receive. :smallamused:

(My comment was more about Jesters being used quite seldom, though. I mean, it's the worst class you could possibly pick.)

Blayze
2009-11-14, 08:29 PM
I mean, it's the worst class you could possibly pick.

Beast Master.

Johnny Blade
2009-11-14, 08:38 PM
Beast Master.
Comes in second. (Although the class is actually pretty strong in BG1, if enabled.)
But at least he has the best THAC0 and attack progressions. He does obviously suffer from a lack of useful weapons, though. Staves are pretty good, but it means wasting the whole TWF deal. Still, Rangers get more proficiency points than they can reasonably use anyway.

The Jester has nothing. He can't fight well, suffers from the horrible spell progression Bards got in BG2 (This can be rectified by mods, though.), and his Song is beyond useless. Save +4 or be confused? A lot of enemies are actually immune to this, and those that are tough enough to actually care about will simply make their save. Well, and if not, they may still attack you anyway.

Gnorman
2009-11-14, 08:48 PM
Some rather... interesting... suggestions here. A Half-Orc Jester? I'm playing evil, not shooting myself in the foot!

Anyway. Here are two new characters for the party, based on a couple of suggestions from Starbuck_II and RationalGoblin.

Valgrim Doomhammer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/microwavesamurai/LP%20BG2/darrakL.jpg

Race: Dwarf
Class: Fighter / Stormlord of Talos
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
STR: 18/76
DEX: 17
CON: 19
INT: 11
WIS: 18
CHA: 7

One frosty Alturiak morning, the residents of Candlekeep awoke to the sound of thunder and the flash of lightning on their doorstep. When the Watchers peered outside the gate, they saw a naked dwarf, drunk and laughing wildly as he shot lightning bolts out of his fingers at the local wildlife. Nobody wanted to go out there and stop him (whether it was from the fear of being electrocuted or the fear of a naked, drunk dwarf is not entirely clear), preferring to let him sleep off his bender slumped against the keep's walls. The dwarf finally awoke three days later, with a raging headache and a literal axe to grind. Oddly enough, the dwarf managed to donate a book to Candlekeep's library, a dog-eared, stained work the contents of which were so blasphemous it's best not to mention them (Tymora in particular has taken great offense to a number of etchings within and has ordered her clerics to destroy any copies they can find). Once inside the keep, Valgrim took up a near-permanent residence at Winthrop's, where he met Malcolm. Though hardly fast friends, Valgrim appreciated Malcolm's dagger-like wit and cynical disdain for others, while Malcolm appreciated the fact that Valgrim was big, strong, and enjoyed the front lines of a battle. Of course, Candlekeep is no place for an ale-loving, blood-bathing battlerager, and when the opportunity presented itself, Valgrim took off with Malcolm for parts unknown.

Uncouth, brutish, and disdainful of nearly all other sentient life, Valgrim lives the life of a vagabond priest of Talos now, wandering the face of Faerun in search of things to strike, smash, electrify, and otherwise destroy. While Valgrim thinks of Malcolm as a prissy, preening dandy who needs to grow a pair and get some dirt under his fingernails (and some blood on his hands), he maintains a somewhat avuncular relationship with the budding Bhaalspawn. Valgrim sees Malcolm as a potential force for great destruction in the world, and it's likely that Talos has sent him on a mission to guard, foster, and unleash that force.

Thanos Tombwright

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/microwavesamurai/LP%20BG2/arantamL.jpg

Race: Human
Class: Anti-Paladin
Alignment: Lawful Evil
STR: 18/97
CON: 18
INT: 10
WIS: 12
CHA: 14

While exploring the caves surrounding Candlekeep as a teenager, Malcolm stumbled upon a lost catacomb deep within a cave. At the end of the cave was a tomb containing Thanos. Put into the slumber of undeath by his dark lord Bane during the Time of Troubles, Thanos was to awaken when the time was right to put Bane's contingency plans into action. Sensing that Malcolm was possessed of a divine spark himself, Thanos hopes to use that connection to resurrect the Black Hand. When the commotion of Gorion's death caught the death knight's attention, Thanos lurched forth from his tomb and pledged his sword into Malcolm's service.

Thanos isn't much for polite conversation, preferring to wade into battle and cut a wide swath with his greatsword. Claiming to have once been a mighty general, he has a tendency to order his companions around in battle and criticize their tactics harshly afterwards. Imperious, arrogant, and convinced of his own superiority, he would get along with Malcolm excellently were it not for the fact that they constantly attempt to one-up each other. His rotting, moldering appearance, though unsettling, is easily hidden behind a helm. The smell, however, is putrid, and no one's figured out how to deal with it. Malcolm has suggested fine perfume. Valgrim has suggested cutting off Malcolm's nose.

Johnny Blade
2009-11-14, 09:01 PM
I'm playing evil, not shooting myself in the foot!
Waaaay too easy. :smallwink:

Gnorman
2009-11-14, 09:07 PM
Waaaay too easy. :smallwink:

You're right. Cheap shot. My apologies.

So between Thanos and Valgrim, that should be our main front line.

Do you think there are enough scrolls in the game to support two spellbook-using characters? I'm inclined to include a bard and a mage if that's the case, but if not... we'll have to make do with one.

And druids. Never played a druid in BG2 before (outside of occasionally taking Jaheira with me). They worth the trouble? Kit recommendations for them? I don't want to use the rampant cheese of Weimer's Shapeshifter mod, but if there was a way to find a toned-down, rational version of that kit, it'd make for a great Malarite character.

Blayze
2009-11-15, 07:24 AM
Well, we'll need someone to disarm traps -- or possibly to detect them and then let their allies wander over them so they can then steal their wealth in peace.

Sounds like a job for a Gnome Assassin.

Johnny Blade
2009-11-15, 08:22 AM
Do you think there are enough scrolls in the game to support two spellbook-using characters? I'm inclined to include a bard and a mage if that's the case, but if not... we'll have to make do with one.
BG1 - not regarding mods, since I don't know your exact installation - will be a real pain in the ass.
Of course, besides problems affording anything early in the game, the main problem are rare higher level scrolls, which a Bard won't necessarily need.

And druids. Never played a druid in BG2 before (outside of occasionally taking Jaheira with me). They worth the trouble?
Well, you'll have a problem in BG2, obviously, when said Druid will refuse to level up for quite some time, but that should be when Valgrim can start covering for him.
They're really good in BG1, leveling up much faster than anyone else, and quite good again in ToB. Won't have as many spell slots as a Cleric in the end, but again, Valgrim.
EDIT: I was just editing the game files for my own Let's Play when it dawned me that I somehow had the horrible spell progression tables of the The Darkest Day mod in mind when I wrote this. So, forget that last sentence.

That's my experience with various vanilla druids, at least. Dunno how good they're with Divine Remix, only that you said less.

Kit recommendations for them?
Any, just don't pick the basic class. Totemic Druids are hilariously broken in BG1 and have no actual downside at all - regular shapeshifting isn't all that good anyway, and they can still pick the two Elemental HLAs.

I don't want to use the rampant cheese of Weimer's Shapeshifter mod, but if there was a way to find a toned-down, rational version of that kit, it'd make for a great Malarite character.
Sword Coast Stratagems has a component like that, but I'm not sure how much it actually does - I do actually have it installed, just didn't really use Cernd in a modded game yet.

Personally, I don't think any of the classes besides a Shapeshifter reflavored as you said would really work in the group we have so far - I mean, there's even an Undead in it. Good luck keeping one alive in BG1, though.

Well, we'll need someone to disarm traps -- or possibly to detect them and then let their allies wander over them so they can then steal their wealth in peace.

Assassins are horrible early on, though. Almost no benefits and only very few points for Thieving Skills.
Poisoning may help, but you can't use it often enough to really save the kit.

Gnorman
2009-11-15, 02:37 PM

Oh ho! Good plan.

BG1 - not regarding mods, since I don't know your exact installation - will be a real pain in the ass.
Of course, besides problems affording anything early in the game, the main problem are rare higher level scrolls, which a Bard won't necessarily need.

Yeah, I just don't want to wait until Saradush to fill up the gaps in my spellbooks... but there are some spells that are mage spells and some spells that are bard spells - all of the level-dependent ones are definitely the latter, for example.

I tested out that Dirgesinger and its curse song is a real pain - it has a very small radius, forcing the bard to get into melee combat. Only Blades (and possibly Skalds) should be going into melee combat - I prefer my bards as archers and arcane support.

Well, you'll have a problem in BG2, obviously, when said Druid will refuse to level up for quite some time, but that should be when Valgrim can start covering for him.
They're really good in BG1, leveling up much faster than anyone else, and quite good again in ToB. Won't have as many spell slots as a Cleric in the end, but again, Valgrim.
EDIT: I was just editing the game files for my own Let's Play when it dawned me that I somehow had the horrible spell progression tables of the The Darkest Day mod in mind when I wrote this. So, forget that last sentence.

That's my experience with various vanilla druids, at least. Dunno how good they're with Divine Remix, only that you said less.

I spent some time comparing their spell lists when I installed the mod. They don't lose much - a couple of fourth level spells (I wanna say Negative Plane Protection and Farsight) and oddly enough Conjure Animals (because it's in the Summoning sphere, which druids don't have high level access to). Valgrim should be able to shore up most of that because Talos has a very good sphere array.

Any, just don't pick the basic class. Totemic Druids are hilariously broken in BG1 and have no actual downside at all - regular shapeshifting isn't all that good anyway, and they can still pick the two Elemental HLAs.

Perhaps another multiclass? I think the only option would be Fighter/Druid. Berserker/Druid, perhaps? Fighter/Shapeshifter, if we want to get real cheesy? Hell, I think you can even SK in a Barbarian/Druid.

Sword Coast Stratagems has a component like that, but I'm not sure how much it actually does - I do actually have it installed, just didn't really use Cernd in a modded game yet.

I really hate "symbolic paws."

Personally, I don't think any of the classes besides a Shapeshifter reflavored as you said would really work in the group we have so far - I mean, there's even an Undead in it. Good luck keeping one alive in BG1, though.

He's not really Undead, he's "undead" - he's a human with green skin and the voice of Murray the skull from Monkey Island.

Assassins are horrible early on, though. Almost no benefits and only very few points for Thieving Skills.
Poisoning may help, but you can't use it often enough to really save the kit.

That poison is absolutely brutal in BG1, but yeah. Not enough skill points for my taste, though with a Bard around to pick up Pick Pocket they might be passable. And a high-level Assassin/Mage or Fighter/Assassin is totally an ungodly engine of death (Side note: I do totally want a gnome involved here, and having the gnome be a backstabbing whirligig of doom gets me so many bonus hilarity points). I have a lot of new thief options from Song and Silence to consider as well, though.

Johnny Blade
2009-11-15, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I just don't want to wait until Saradush to fill up the gaps in my spellbooks... but there are some spells that are mage spells and some spells that are bard spells - all of the level-dependent ones are definitely the latter, for example.
Yeah, but then there are also some that you want for both.
I don't really remember much of it, but I did try a game with Garrick and Dynaheir once. That was painful.
Oh, and Imoen replaced Dynaheir later, but it wasn't much of an issue in the game's later stages. Still a bit of an issue. :smallwink:

But...how many arcane magic users do you want in this party anyway? Scrolls aside, I wouldn't want three. Besides, there isn't room for a Bard and a Wizard left anyway, is there? I mean, we've got three already, then some sort of divine caster, and a Thief is missing as well.

Do you have Rogue Rebalancing's restored spell progression for Bards, by the way?

Perhaps another multiclass? I think the only option would be Fighter/Druid. Berserker/Druid, perhaps? Fighter/Shapeshifter, if we want to get real cheesy? Hell, I think you can even SK in a Barbarian/Druid.
I'd rather say dual-class.
Plain Thief or Swashbuckler dualed into Cleric to cover for the Assassin early on - if you want that Assassin - would be a plan.
Or any of the Druids you mentioned. Shame Kensai/Shapeshifter's not possible, eh? (You could actually reproduce a Kensai with Shadowkeeper, though, I think. Of course, you'd have to do it again and again whenever he gets a new Kensai ability. Also, horrible in BG1.)

He's not really Undead, he's "undead" - he's a human with green skin and the voice of Murray the skull from Monkey Island.
Looking at what I wrote (and you quoted) again, did you think that I wished you good luck keeping an Undead alive?
Possible horrible semantics jokes aside, I was really talking about the Shapeshifter, who would probably just die as soon as you go up against Bandits.

Not enough skill points for my taste, though with a Bard around to pick up Pick Pocket they might be passable.
Well, you'd have to sink all skill points into Find Traps and Pick Locks. And even then, a lot of the early traps would have to be taken care of by Thanos' chest. Oh well, he's undead, they don't feel pain.
That's not much in terms of working towards assassinations, but that poison works on bows, so whatever.
Or take a second Thief, as mentioned above.

I have a lot of new thief options from Song and Silence to consider as well, though.
Which, specifically? I mean, Adventurers look like horrible Swashbucklers, Soulknives like horrible Assassins. Burglars are just...well, not much different from a plain Thief.
Although, Shadowdancers look nice. Can they get Trap HLAs?

Gnorman
2009-11-15, 03:53 PM
Yeah, but then there are also some that you want for both.
I don't really remember much of it, but I did try a game with Garrick and Dynaheir once. That was painful.
Oh, and Imoen replaced Dynaheir later, but it wasn't much of an issue in the game's later stages. Still a bit of an issue. :smallwink:

But...how many arcane magic users do you want in this party anyway? Scrolls aside, I wouldn't want three. Besides, there isn't room for a Bard and a Wizard left anyway, is there? I mean, we've got three already, then some sort of divine caster, and a Thief is missing as well.

Do you have Rogue Rebalancing's restored spell progression for Bards, by the way?

You're probably right. Between the sorcerer and a bard, we should be covered. And yes, I do, so Bards will get up to level eight spells.

I'd rather say dual-class.
Plain Thief or Swashbuckler dualed into Cleric to cover for the Assassin early on - if you want that Assassin - would be a plan.
Or any of the Druids you mentioned. Shame Kensai/Shapeshifter's not possible, eh? (You could actually reproduce a Kensai with Shadowkeeper, though, I think. Of course, you'd have to do it again and again whenever he gets a new Kensai ability. Also, horrible in BG1.)

Remember the cleric/thief (the Nightcloak) you mentioned earlier? I'm thinking a half-orc Cleric/Assassin now - the generic cleric spheres are different enough from the Stormlord that it will feel quite different. And really, the Stormlord feels like a druid already, what with major access to elemental, weather, and animal. Plus, 19 strength + Holy Power/Righteous Might is going to make for some epic backstabs, even if the choice of race means no bonuses to thieving skills. If we're lacking a druid, we're going to have a sixth spot open for a utility infielder of some kind - just not sure what yet. I believe monks can detect traps?

Looking at what I wrote (and you quoted) again, did you think that I wished you good luck keeping an Undead alive?
Possible horrible semantics jokes aside, I was really talking about the Shapeshifter, who would probably just die as soon as you go up against Bandits.

Yeah, I knew you meant the Shapeshifter. I was just being glib about my method of "creating" an undead character. I know Weimer was able to make Valen functionally undead rather than just flavorfully, but I'm no modder.

Well, you'd have to sink all skill points into Find Traps and Pick Locks. And even then, a lot of the early traps would have to be taken care of by Thanos' chest. Oh well, he's undead, they don't feel pain.
That's not much in terms of working towards assassinations, but that poison works on bows, so whatever.
Or take a second Thief, as mentioned above.

Traps aren't really too much to worry about in BG1. There are a few deadly ones in the Candlekeep Catacombs, I believe, but I'd be concentrating on getting Open Locks to a functional level and then working on Stealth.

Which, specifically? I mean, Adventurers look like horrible Swashbucklers, Soulknives like horrible Assassins. Burglars are just...well, not much different from a plain Thief.
Although, Shadowdancers look nice. Can they get Trap HLAs?

Well, I was thinking that the Shadowdancer or the Wushi Ninja might be interesting.

Winthur
2009-11-15, 04:00 PM
(My comment was more about Jesters being used quite seldom, though. I mean, it's the worst class you could possibly pick.)

I know a certain someone who solo'd the game with Jester on Insane with Tactics. And he said it was a pretty enjoyable experience.

Gnorman
2009-11-15, 04:23 PM
I think I just had a really mean idea, what with the whole multiclassing with a kit thing.

Half-orc Kensai/Thief. Melee destruction on a wide, wide scale. A good array of thieving points. Sure, they have a lower backstab modifier than the Cleric/Assassin, but the difference between "dead" and "deader" is fairly minute. It might even be TOO powerful. I almost feel bad.

Or a Wizard Slayer/Thief, as SCS makes casters pretty scary.

Johnny Blade
2009-11-15, 04:25 PM
Well, I was thinking that the Shadowdancer or the Wushi Ninja might be interesting.
Wait, what's that Wushi...oh, now that's just crazy. I mean, bit better than your usual Thief, isn't it?

(Also, horrible flavor if you ask me. Extra-speshul ninjas...:smallyuk:)

I know a certain someone who solo'd the game with Jester on Insane with Tactics. And he said it was a pretty enjoyable experience.
Doesn't make the kit better.

Half-orc Kensai/Thief. Melee destruction on a wide, wide scale.
Yeah, those are fun. Did it myself. Hilarious, really.

Blayze
2009-11-15, 07:01 PM
I still say we need at least one Wild Mage, though. Bonus points if they spend half their time blaming the Wild Surges on someone else. Possibly on the gnome.

Matar
2009-11-15, 07:14 PM
Ooze Master

...What's that? Ooze? Oozes are awesome! Is it a druid kit?

Also: You need a Spellshaper. you needz eet! It should work with all other character kits, as you don't start with it. Trust me, eet's awesome.

This I like. Likely not Loki, since we're gonna stay true to the Forgotten Realms pantheon. Speaking of which: evil gods. Any requests for particular deities to be represented? Off the top of my head, we have: Bane (technically Xvim), Gargauth, Mask, Malar, Shar, Loviatar, Beshaba, Talona, Auril, Talos, Gruumsh, Lolth, Umberlee, Cyric, Velsharoon, Bhaal, Myrkul, and Garagos. I'm partial to Bane (because I love Bane), Malar, and Gruumsh. A Cyricist and a Banite likely won't get along too well, but I'd like a good diversity of evil alignments.

Ghaunadaur.

That is all.

For it is AWESOME. All hail the god of oozes!

Johnny Blade
2009-11-15, 08:04 PM
Well, an oozemaster would have quite some potential for jokes. From horrible puns to some more (or less) sophisticated ones about the beings he so reveres.

Also, casting a Drow (as in Elf + cheesy magic resistance) as a follower of Ghaunadaur would work quite well, I think.

DranWork
2009-11-15, 08:12 PM
having just started my own play through of BG with my flatmate (eventualy we will be entering bg2 as well and all the expansions) I can say with out a doubt that there are more then a few uber traps out there for you to stumble into, more so in the early part of the game. I can list a few places if you want me to elsewise good luck brave ser! (traps include fireball lightning and magic missle [5 missles] to name a few. even the MM traps are enough to clean up a low lvl fighter with ease) Tho not sure but Tutu might have changed a few things from vanilla.

My suggestion for a character is one thats always done well for me. Fighter/thief. Backstabbing melee dinamo! Let the gibs fly!

(to thoes interested we have compleated every map on the big map south of beregost, so lots of bandit encounters and the like.)

Gnorman
2009-11-16, 07:49 PM
Ghazi ibn Zubair

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/microwavesamurai/LP%20BG2/tuskL.jpg

Race: Half-orc
Class: Cleric/Assassin
Alignment: Neutral Evil
STR: 19
INT: 12
WIS: 18
CHA: 7

Born a slave into the ranks of the Caliph of Calimport's army, Ghazi's future was dim. He never knew his father, and his mother, though nearly human-looking, was treated as like dirt for her orcish blood. He could look to little more than a savage beatings, strict discipline, and passing discrimination for his features. But for every strike, every lash, and every cruel words sent his way, Ghazi's resolve deepened. When he was merely a boy of eleven, his mother was caught stealing food from the Caliph's harem and summarily executed, with Ghazi forced to watch as an object lesson. Orphaned, broken, but never shedding a tear, Ghazi crept out of the palace that night, stopping only to strangle his mother's executioner in his sleep. Ghazi became a street rat, stealing to get by. Years later, the Maiden of Pain appeared to him in a dream, convincing him to join the priesthood. "Born of the whip, to better wield it," she said. Once there, he was instructed in both the Loviatar's worship and the arts of torture, interrogation, and murder. Groomed as an unholy assassin, sent on missions of great importance to the church, Ghazi became a veritable terror in the Calimport night and a devoted priest of agony and pain.

Using self-flagellation and ritual scarring to focus his pain into holy visions, Ghazi was told to head northward, towards Candlekeep. There, he would find a holy scion, a Bhaalspawn who might one day bring his goddess' masters back into the Realms. Ghazi is a sadistic man, obsessed with revenge and pain, but he is also practical and forthright. He knows exactly which finger to break to get a prisoner to talk; the words to say to drive a dagger of loss into a victim's heart before the literal dagger joins it. He gets along well with Valgrim, who he finds hilarious in a twisted way, and Thanos, who he finds to be a capable comrade-in-arms as well as a kindred spirit in his quest to resurrect old dark gods.

Orfeo Serafina

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/microwavesamurai/LP%20BG2/LucanL.jpg

Race: Elf
Class: Blade
Alignment: Neutral Evil
STR: 18
DEX: 19
INT: 16
WIS: 6
CHA: 15

Born into the slums of Sembia, Orfeo took to the sea at an early age. Having spent nearly his whole life in and around ships, he became a consummate sailor, an expert with a sword, and and adept with the lute. He had an unfortunate tendency to get into trouble, however, and often had to head out for other pastures after being found in bed with the captain's wife. Sometimes the captain. Once both. Expelled from the merchant core and the Sembian navy, Orfeo became a pirate, plundering for fame and gold. He became known for his wry manner and flamboyant dress, but found the most notoriety for his ruthless nature to those who denied him, spurned him, or didn't catch his fancy. Eventually migrating west to avoid capture at the hands of the military, he strummed and sang his way to the Sword Coast, looking for greener pastures and new amorous conquests. After charming a Watcher into letting him into Candlekeep, Orfeo spent some time making Malcolm's acquaintance. Decided rather quickly that the young man was destined for great adventure, Orfeo chose to tag along.

Impulsive, irreverent, and completely narcissistic, Orfeo is quite convinced that he is god's gift to men, women, and everything else. In fact, he's more than willing to bed anything that moves - and occasionally a few things that don't. Still, his talent and wit redeem him slightly in the party's eyes - though he may be salacious and completely self-absorbed, he's always good for a laugh. He's flashy in combat, a whirling dynamo of steel and spell, but is quite capable of felling his foes with ease. Valgrim finds him ceaselessly amusing, while Ghazi considers him an ineffectual dandy. Thanos despises Orfeo, and has threatened him with grievous bodily harm many times. Malcolm is a bit uneasy around him, because Orfeo has made it a habit to flirt with him on more than one very uncomfortable occasion.

Gnorman

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/microwavesamurai/LP%20BG2/M_AsterL.jpg

Race: Gnome
Class: Wild Mage/Thief
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
INT: 19
CHA: 14

Utility infielder! Wild mage! Loony as a Canadian lake! My namesake!

Johnny Blade
2009-11-16, 11:56 PM
Well, not that I wouldn't like Ghazi, but I hope you know what you're doing, relying on a multi-classed assassin as your only Thief.

Gnorman
2009-11-17, 04:30 AM
Well, not that I wouldn't like Ghazi, but I hope you know what you're doing, relying on a multi-classed assassin as your only Thief.

Hence Gnorman.

Blayze
2009-11-17, 07:11 AM
A Wild Mage/Thief, eh? It's certainly an interesting combination, and once they get Use Any Item...

Well, at least Zil can cover the non-Backstab-related skills. And if all else fails, cast Knock with Nahal's.

Matar
2009-11-17, 07:28 AM
I still say the Wild Mage should be a Spellshaper. They are awesome. *Pouts*

Also, you should make a Gnome really stoic or something. All Gnomes are wacky. Go against the machine!

Elf: "Come on Gnome, say something wacky!"

Gnome: "I do not exist to amuse you!"

Gnorman
2009-11-17, 08:44 AM
I still say the Wild Mage should be a Spellshaper. They are awesome. *Pouts*

Also, you should make a Gnome really stoic or something. All Gnomes are wacky. Go against the machine!

Elf: "Come on Gnome, say something wacky!"

Gnome: "I do not exist to amuse you!"

I'm considering the Spellshaper for Gnorman, yeah. Seems a bit... complicated. I'll take a closer look at the mod proper.

And just because he's a loony gnome doesn't mean he's going to be "wacky." Think more like... creepy, chaos incarnate loony. Think Joker from Dark Knight. Or Mirror-Mirror Jan Jansen.

Johnny Blade
2009-11-17, 10:19 AM
Hence Gnorman.
Wow, now that's gonna be fun as soon as you get HLAs.
I guess he'll have some trap skills?

Also, in case your installation's done, could you post your Weidu log?

Oh, and does anybody else think that Orfeo doesn't need any further characterization? :smallbiggrin:

Matar
2009-11-17, 06:21 PM
I'm considering the Spellshaper for Gnorman, yeah. Seems a bit... complicated. I'll take a closer look at the mod proper.

I suck at BG2 anyways, so I wouldn't know >_>..

It has Rouge BaB, and a bunch of custom spells and stuff that only a Wild Mage can get. It can use any spell by use of this one talent, though you'll more likely get a Wild Surge.

I do know that with Tensars Transformation and a ton of dexterity you can actually tank really damn well though. And with Imp Invis you make a damn good rouge.

Shape Spell is also freaking awesome. Very, very fun.

Like I said though, I suck ass at this game >_>. I always, ALWAYS forget to have my mage flank the target for his sneak attacks. So... yeah.

Gnorman
2009-11-17, 06:37 PM
Matar, I'll cut you a compromise. I don't want to use the Spellshaper kit from the mod (honestly, it seems too high-maintenance and a little too 3e) but I will still install the mod and use the extra wild mage spells (It has Summon Cow!). Trust me, you'll like Gnorman, even if he isn't a Spellshaper. Gnorman is the reason I play D&D.

Also, in case your installation's done, could you post your Weidu log?

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ascension v1.41 (requires ToB)
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #103 // Mixed-Use Dagger Fixes: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in Wrath Hell Trial: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun: v8
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Kidnapping of Boo by Cliffette: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #1 // The Suna Seni/Valygar Relationship: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #2 // Kalah and What He Was Promised: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #3 // "Cat and Mouse" (Bodhi hunts you in Spellhold) by Ghreyfain: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #4 // Gorje Hilldark and the Extended Illithium Quest: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #5 // The Pai'Na/Spider's Bane Quest: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #6 // Restored Crooked Crane Inn: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #7 // Restored Encounters: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #8 // Artemis Entreri in Bodhi's Lair: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #9 // Corrected "Xzar's Creations": v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #10 // Restored Hell Minions, by SimDing0: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #12 // Item Restorations: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #15 // NPC Portrait Restorations: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #16 // Corrected BAMs and Scripts: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #17 // Corrected Character Names and Biographies: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #18 // Restored Minor Dialogs: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #19 // Restored Bhaalspawn Powers, by David Gaider: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #20 // Extended ToB Item Descriptions: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #21 // Throne of Bhaal Minor Restorations: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #22 // Justifier Kit: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #23 // Feralan Kit: v18
~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #24 // Sarevok's Remorse: v18
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Creature & Area Improvements -> All Creature Improvements
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // Creature & Area Improvements -> Boss Improvements Only
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #4 // Alternative Harper/Xzar Plot
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #5 // Extended Reynald Sequence
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #6 // Intrigue In The Copper Coronet
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #7 // Rahul Kanakia's Potion Quest
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #8 // Revised Hell Trials
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #9 // Improved Oasis II -> IO2 Dialogue & Combat Enhancement
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #11 // Saving Sanik In Brynnlaw
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #12 // Burglary Of The Bookkeeper
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #13 // New Fate For The Dryads' Acorns
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #14 // The Tragedy Of Besamen
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #15 // Further Slaver Involvement
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #16 // Sending The Solamnic Knights Home
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #17 // Nazariel The Lich
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #18 // Reward Negotiation
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #19 // Infernal Thievery
~SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Shadows Of Amn Item Upgrades
~SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Throne Of Bhaal Item Upgrades
~SETUP-ITEM_PACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Item Pack v1.1: v1.1
~SETUP-ITEM_PACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // Extra Items: v1.1
~SETUP-ITEM_PACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Tweaked Items: v1.1
~SETUP-ITEM_PACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // Convenient Free Action Items: v1.1
~SETUP-ITEM_PACK.TP2~ #0 #4 // More Distinguishable Items: v1.1
~SETUP-ITEM_PACK.TP2~ #0 #5 // Familiar Faces: v1.1
~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #27 // Anti-Paladin Kit
~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Changes to trueclass bards and thieves, and unmodded game kits (required for other components): v4
~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Add new bardic store and thief items: v4
~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #2 // Install Acrobat bard kit: v4
~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #3 // Install Chorister bard kit: v4
~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #4 // Install Dirgesinger bard kit: v4
~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #5 // Install Gypsy bard kit: v4
~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #7 // Install Burglar thief kit: v4
~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #9 // Install Sharpshooter thief kit: v4
~SONG_AND_SILENCE/SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~ #0 #10 // Install Shadowdancer thief kit: v4
~SETUP-SPSTUFF.TP2~ #0 #0 // Sylvan Mystic Kit, by Polar Bear: v8
~SETUP-SPSTUFF.TP2~ #0 #1 // Blade Master Kit, by Drizzt1180: v8
~SETUP-SPSTUFF.TP2~ #0 #2 // Death Knight Kit, by Drizzt1180: v8
~SETUP-SPSTUFF.TP2~ #0 #3 // Wushi Ninja Kit, by Drizzt1180: v8
~SETUP-SPSTUFF.TP2~ #0 #4 // Creslyn's BG2 Item Pack: v8
~SETUP-SPSTUFF.TP2~ #0 #5 // Archer of Sylvanus, by Drizzt1180: v8
~SETUP-SPSTUFF.TP2~ #0 #6 // Arcane Fist, by Drizzt1180: v8
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // Divine Remix Core Components (Required for Everything)
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #100 // Cleric Remix
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #106 // Install Nightcloak of Shar Cleric Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #109 // Install Battleguard of Tempus Cleric Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #112 // Install Painbearer of Ilmater Cleric Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #115 // Install Firewalker of Kossuth Cleric Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #118 // Install Authlim of Iyachtu Xvim Cleric Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #121 // Install Lorekeeper of Oghma Cleric Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #200 // Druid Remix
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #203 // Install Oozemaster Druid kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #403 // Install Bowslinger Ranger Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #409 // Install Forest Runner Ranger Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #415 // Install Wilderness Runner Ranger Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #600 // Install Battleguard of Tempus Kit for Branwen
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #605 // Change Jaheira to Neutral Good
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #610 // Install Nightcloak of Shar Kit for Viconia
~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Nythrun's Level 1 NPCs: List party-joinable NPCs (required to install any other components): v1.2
~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1 // Tweak weapon proficiencies for some classes (a la Ashes of Embers and aVENGER's Rogue Rebalancing?: v1.2
~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #3 // Joinable NPCs more closely match the player character's experience?: v1.2
~SETUP-IMPROVEDSUMMONS.TP2~ #1 #0 // Improved Angelic Summons(ToB Required)
~SETUP-IMPROVEDSUMMONS.TP2~ #1 #1 // Improved Demonic Summons(ToB Required)
~SETUP-IMPROVEDSUMMONS.TP2~ #1 #2 // Improved Elemental Summons(ToB Required)
~SETUP-IMPROVEDSUMMONS.TP2~ #1 #4 // Improved Animate Dead(ToB Required)
~SETUP-IMPROVEDSUMMONS.TP2~ #1 #5 // Improved Call Woodland Being
~SETUP-IMPROVEDSUMMONS.TP2~ #1 #6 // Improved Animal Summons
~SETUP-IMPROVEDSUMMONS.TP2~ #1 #7 // Improved Monster Summons
~SETUP-IMPROVEDSUMMONS.TP2~ #1 #8 // Replace Carrion Summons with Summon Beholder
~SETUP-IMPROVEDSUMMONS.TP2~ #1 #9 // Replace Wyvern Call with Summon Vampire
~SETUP-IMPROVEDSUMMONS.TP2~ #1 #10 // Others(Efreet,Djinni,etc.)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #40 // Change Viconia's Skin Color to Dark Blue: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #90 // Disable Portrait Icons Added by Equipped Items: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1020 // Alter HP Triggers for NPC Wounded Dialogues: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1040 // Improved Athkatlan City Guard: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1070 // Improved Multi-Player Kick-out Dialogues: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1120 // Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1160 // Multiple Strongholds (Baldurdash) -> No Restrictions (Baldurdash): v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1170 // Bonus Merchants (Baldurdash): v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1220 // Allow Cromwell to Upgrade Watcher's Keep Items: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2151 // Wear Multiple Protection Items -> No Restrictions: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grandmastery (Baldurdash): v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2240 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2250 // Un-Nerfed Sorcerer Spell Progression Table: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2261 // Alter Mage Spell Progression Table -> PnP Table: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2271 // Alter Bard Spell Progression Table -> PnP Table: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2281 // Alter Cleric Spell Progression Table -> PnP Table: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2291 // Alter Druid Spell and Level Progression Tables -> No Level Progression Changes, PnP Druid/Cleric Spell Table Only: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2340 // Remove Summoning Cap for Celestials (Ardanis/GeN1e): v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3000 // Higher HP on Level Up -> Maximum: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3012 // Maximum HP for NPCs (the bigg) -> For Party-Joinable NPCs Only: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3030 // Easy Spell Learning -> 100% Learn Spells: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3060 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer): v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3070 // Change Effect of Reputation on Store Prices -> Low Reputation Store Discount (Sabre): v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Unlimited Ammo Stacking: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3090 // Unlimited Gem and Jewelry Stacking: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3100 // Unlimited Potion Stacking: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3110 // Unlimited Scroll Stacking: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3121 // Happy Patch (Party NPCs do not fight or complain about reputation) -> NPCs can be angry about reputation but never leave (Salk): v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3150 // Turn Off The Hideous Cloak-of-Mirroring, Spell-Trap, and Physical Mirror Animations: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4020 // ToB-Style NPCs: v7
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Detectable spells (required for most other components): v11
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1010 // Allow enemy AI to detect the party's magic items: v11
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1020 // Bugfix: Fix the Mirror Image spell so it doesn't block area-effect magic: v11
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1030 // Bugfix: Fix the Dispel Magic spell so it correctly allows for caster's level: v11
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2010 // More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning): v11
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2020 // Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility -> Only Spell Thrust, Secret Word and Ruby Ray get areas of effect (default option): v11
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2030 // Iron Skins behaves like Stoneskin (can be brought down by Breach): v11
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Make party members less likely to die irreversibly: v11
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #5030 // Remove the blur graphic effect from the Displacer Cloak: v11
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v11
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6010 // Better calls for help: v11
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6152 // Smarter Mages -> Mages never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat: v11
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6162 // Smarter Priests -> Priests never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat: v11
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7126 // Improved Irenicus in Hell (Tactics remix) -> Tactics-SCSII hybrid: v11

nooblade
2009-11-17, 10:09 PM
Stopping a dual class fighter (kitted, probably)/something at level 12 is unoptimal, if you ask me. You only did that for experience restrictions in SoA. When you get to level 13 fighter, you get an extra half attack, which is an excellent thing if you want to go without Belm or Kudane in your off-hand, or one of the cheap polymorph or shapechange tricks for basically free extra attacks. The really nice thing about the fighter, IMHO, is that you get three extra half attacks over non-fighters. Great for things that have an effect on a strike, like Soul Reaver or Blackrazor (EEEEBIIILL SWORDSSS!). That and the Hardiness HLA.

Regardless of what anyone else says about them, I think that Wizard Slayers are FUN. Especially with a change (I think it was in a fixpack?) that allows their miscast to work with ranged attacks. It's another "On strike" effect. Some people also say that Archers are less powerful in ToB, but I just can't find it in myself to agree.

I'm also fond of Bards for their high rate of level gain. Your spells per level don't keep up, but the effect that your level has on the spells that you do cast is sometimes nice, albeit more rarely than I'd like. Pretty good for a jack of all trades.

Gnorman
2009-11-17, 10:21 PM
Regardless of what anyone else says about them, I think that Wizard Slayers are FUN. Especially with a change (I think it was in a fixpack?) that allows their miscast to work with ranged attacks. It's another "On strike" effect. Some people also say that Archers are less powerful in ToB, but I just can't find it in myself to agree.

I would have gone with an Archer, but Rangers are just hard-coded to be Good in the game. Doesn't work. Even the Anti-Paladin has to be a Fighter kit, to get around the alignment restrictions.

We'll have plenty of evil swords, but no dual-class fighters.

And I think that's it for characters! I'm going to start momentarily - updates when they're done.

Matar
2009-11-17, 11:22 PM
Matar, I'll cut you a compromise. I don't want to use the Spellshaper kit from the mod (honestly, it seems too high-maintenance and a little too 3e) but I will still install the mod and use the extra wild mage spells (It has Summon Cow!). Trust me, you'll like Gnorman, even if he isn't a Spellshaper. Gnorman is the reason I play D&D.

Q___Q.

Well, seeing as how you get to pick the Kit at anytime during play, I'm hoping you will change your mind. But we shall see!

Actually, uh. Are you starting from BG1? I know that the Wild Mage mod is compatible with it, but I have no idea how that fight would go. I think it was edited so that you fight him out in the wilderness some place. But I'm not sure.

Either way, it's awesome.

Also: The spells are freaking awesome. Vortex is incredible, Glyph of Wild Magic is hilarious, and Summon Wild Horde is just as great. But uh... be careful I've killed myself with that spell before. Nothing more shameful then getting killed by exploding bunnies.

Gnorman
2009-11-18, 12:49 AM
Also: The spells are freaking awesome. Vortex is incredible, Glyph of Wild Magic is hilarious, and Summon Wild Horde is just as great. But uh... be careful I've killed myself with that spell before. Nothing more shameful then getting killed by exploding bunnies.

I'll admit, what sold me on this was Summon Cow and Summon Wild Horde. Rodent Form looks hilarious too, if only so that Gnorman can be a spellcasting squirrel perched on Malcolm's shoulder. Best. Familiar. Ever.

Matar
2009-11-18, 01:14 AM
I'll admit, what sold me on this was Summon Cow and Summon Wild Horde. Rodent Form looks hilarious too, if only so that Gnorman can be a spellcasting squirrel perched on Malcolm's shoulder. Best. Familiar. Ever.

You need to kill him and nab his spellbook in order to learn the spells. And it is awesome.

Fri
2009-11-20, 01:53 PM
amazing characters. this have the potential to be one of the awesomer BG letsplay. Will be watching this with interest.

RationalGoblin
2009-11-26, 09:27 PM
Is this still around, or has it been abandoned?

Gnorman
2009-11-27, 03:04 AM
Is this still around, or has it been abandoned?

Not abandoned. Out of town for the holidays. Will commence soon.