PDA

View Full Version : Town generators

Eldrys
2009-11-13, 08:43 PM
Does anybody have any good city generators?(hopefully one that would let me make it the capitol of a nation)

I am Dming my first campaign and it's going to be in an urban setting.

averagejoe
2009-11-13, 08:56 PM
You mean like this? (http://www.gamegroup.org/gameaids/randomville.php)

Or, possibly, the one here? (http://www.dmtools.org/)

Thurbane
2009-11-13, 10:10 PM
I heartily recommend the Randomville town gen...that's why it's in my sig. :smallbiggrin:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-13, 10:11 PM
If you've got money, there's the World's Largest City module. Supposed to be awesome.

BobVosh
2009-11-14, 01:10 AM
The DMG has some. They are hilarious. Level 25 commoners are the best commoners.

Rockphed
2009-11-14, 02:51 AM
The DMG has some. They are hilarious. Level 25 commoners are the best commoners.

I thought it only generated level 24 commoners, but I haven't looked at it in quite a while.

BobVosh
2009-11-14, 02:54 AM
I musta slipped one. Haven't looked at it in a while.

Rockphed
2009-11-14, 03:01 AM
Wow was I wrong. It goes all the way to 28. Yes, you can, by raw, have a 28th level commoner in a metropolis. On the other hand, by raw, without dm fiat, there are no wizards above 16th level. This is, I think, the biggest argument against the Tippyverse ever.

To the Op: do you have any edition/system behind these town generators, or would you be happy with stuff spanning the spectrum? Personally, I want to see as many as possible.

BobVosh
2009-11-14, 03:13 AM
Well everyone knows you go to your own plane at 17th level. Permanently. Hmm. That means a metropolis can never kill a Tarrasque, funny. They could down em, but not wish it dead.

shadow_archmagi
2009-11-14, 07:32 AM
I heartily recommend the Randomville town gen...that's why it's in my sig. :smallbiggrin:

I just tried it out!

Wow!

Thas GRREAT (http://www.bay12games.com/media/Dorf%20Shorts%20-%20Thas%20Grreat!.mp3)

Mordokai
2009-11-14, 07:38 AM

I'm under the impression there are supposed to be pictures when the town is generated and yet, I see none. Why is that happening?

Thurbane
2009-11-14, 05:45 PM
I'm under the impression there are supposed to be pictures when the town is generated and yet, I see none. Why is that happening?
Yeah, that part of it is a bit iffy - sometimes the links to the pics are broken.

Bayar
2009-11-14, 05:53 PM
Wow, a city with most PC classes between 8 and 10 level as highest level, level 12 bard and level 13 fighter, highest commoner level being 11, and a level 22 expert.

Industrial militarised city my guess...but the Power center type is "Magical". :smallconfused:

Dixieboy
2009-11-14, 06:05 PM
Randomville creation:

Name: Wizard's Elm.
Population: 9116
Power center type: Magical
Power center alignment: Chaotic good
Constable position: Highest level warrior.

All the full arcane casters are at level 6.
The highest leveled dude in all is a level 19 expert. (There's also a level 11 commoner and a level 10 bard)

Inns:
The Merry Stallion
The Friendly Prince
The Yellow Boar
The Grumpy Pony
The Blue Toad
The Secret Bear
The Tempting Eagle

Gamerlord
2009-11-14, 06:07 PM
I just C&P this...
BASIC TOWN STATISTICS
Town Name Halliwell
Town Size Thorp
Town Population 63
Gold Piece Limit 40
Power Center Type Magical
Power Center Alignment Lawful Good
Constable Position held by Highest Level Fighter
Full-Time Militia/Guards 1
Emergency Militia Available 3

HIGHEST LEVEL NPCs BY TYPE
PC CLASS

NPC CLASS
Barbarian: 1 Adept: 3
Bard: 3 Aristocrat: 3
Cleric: 2 Commoner:13
Druid: 0 Expert: 11
Fighter: 4 Warrior: 7
Monk: 0
Paladin: 0
Rogue: 0
Ranger: 0
Sorcerer: 0
Wizard: 3

Notable Inns & Taverns
The Friendly Wolf
The Blue Witch

Something about the power center doesn't make sense...

Mordokai
2009-11-14, 06:09 PM
Yeah, that part of it is a bit iffy - sometimes the links to the pics are broken.

So far, it has happened every time. Maybe I should try it on anoter computer?

Despite that, I very much like this tool. It's very nice and it should proove useful in the future :smallsmile:

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-14, 06:10 PM
RAW caps the max level at 20, but DM fiat can produce epic commoners. I had a level 26 commoner king who used truenaming. :P

Dixieboy
2009-11-14, 06:14 PM
RAW caps the max level at 20, but DM fiat can produce epic commoners. I had a level 26 commoner king who used truenaming. :P

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

But what's the fluff behind an epic leveled commoner?

Thurbane
2009-11-14, 06:27 PM
Something about the power center doesn't make sense...
There are anomalies in most random generators (the page is using the tables from the DMG verbatim).

Perhaps the Fighter has some hereditary claim to the power base, rather than by force of arms?

Gamerlord
2009-11-14, 06:52 PM
There are anomalies in most random generators (the page is using the tables from the DMG verbatim).

Perhaps the Fighter has some hereditary claim to the power base, rather than by force of arms?

Still, a wizard 3 should not be in power when a fighter 4 and a warrior 7 are around.

Gamerlord
2009-11-14, 06:56 PM

Despite that, I very much like this tool. It's very nice and it should proove useful in the future :smallsmile:

Try it in internet explorer.

Mordokai
2009-11-14, 07:14 PM
Try it in internet explorer.

It works... better. As a FF fan, this is hard for me to admit.

But thanks for an advice anyway.

Gamerlord
2009-11-14, 07:14 PM
I adore FF too, but sometimes IE is the way to go.

maijstral
2009-11-14, 08:38 PM
PLOT SEEDS FOR Turnip Hill
The temple is being harassed by a group of elves.
A farm is being assaulted by a group of elves.
The temple is being robbed by an ogre.
A peasant is being harassed by a group of elves.

I knew there was a reason I hated elves.

Thurbane
2009-11-14, 10:39 PM
Damn those elves and their turnip hating ways!

Jokasti
2009-11-14, 11:27 PM
I must be an elf then... :smalltongue:
And of course the ogre is an agent of the elves, destroying the Temple of the Turnip God.

BobVosh
2009-11-15, 01:53 AM
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

But what's the fluff behind an epic leveled commoner?

There are no stupid questions. Only stupid NPC builds :P

Anyway: He is the most common man in the world. All others are simply reflections of his commonness. Look at him and quake at his absolute commonness!

I dunno, NPC class levels are just a weird quirk of 3.x 2ed had NPCs with no levels, no skills, but could do what plot demanded!

Gralamin
2009-11-15, 02:05 AM

I'll point out that it works fine on Chrome. Chrome is at least better then IE to FF users, right? :smallwink:

Jokasti
2009-11-15, 02:51 AM
*high fives!*
Another Chrome user!

BobVosh
2009-11-15, 03:10 AM
Opera? Anyone try it on that?

Sometimes I feel like the only one to use Opera :'(

Glass Mouse
2009-11-15, 12:46 PM
*high fives, too!*
Chrome ftw!

Weirdly, Seventh Sanctum (http://www.seventhsanctum.com/)doesn't appear to have any town generators. It does have a lot of good generators, though, so I've thrown it in for good measure.

*wish there were any generators in my language...*

Flickerdart
2009-11-15, 12:54 PM
Haha, this town of 29 people has three taverns, and there's no militia, with the emergency militia being, I suppose, the one Constable that's a 7th level Fighter. Then there's the 15th level commoner. Is the thorp's only emergency when that guy gets drunk and the Fighter has to put him down?

Glass Mouse
2009-11-15, 01:07 PM
Haha, this town of 29 people has three taverns, and there's no militia, with the emergency militia being, I suppose, the one Constable that's a 7th level Fighter. Then there's the 15th level commoner. Is the thorp's only emergency when that guy gets drunk and the Fighter has to put him down?

That town knows how to have fun!