PDA

View Full Version : Who Gets to Fly 4e

HMS Invincible
2009-11-13, 10:28 PM
I have a wondrous item which summons a griffon for 12 or so hours. I'm a wizard 11 bloodmage. Should I ride it or should I give it to a party member? I got a swordmage, 2 rogues, avenger, and a dwarf fighter.

Mando Knight
2009-11-13, 10:36 PM
Figure out how to get two more of these items (Enchant Magic Item?), and summon them at the beginning of the day. From there, you've got three mounts that may be able to carry two guys a piece...

In combat, if either Rogue is a sniper and has Distant Advantage, then they should get the griffon. If both are melee, then you get it. However, if the enemy is flying, the Dwarf gets it, and hopefully has several knock-prone powers.

taltamir
2009-11-14, 12:27 AM
how much money can the party pawn it off for?

Mando Knight
2009-11-14, 12:29 AM
how much money can the party pawn it off for?

Ooh. Good idea. Run a scam, the Rogues will be good for any skill checks. Summon the griffon, sell it, then run the hell away. Next town you come to? Same thing.

BobVosh
2009-11-14, 12:38 AM
How does 4ed treat trips in midair?

Decoy Lockbox
2009-11-14, 12:55 AM
How does 4ed treat trips in midair?

I believe the rules state that you fall down and go boom.

taltamir
2009-11-14, 01:16 AM
you have a "fall" animation in the air... you are still hovering 50 feet above ground, but you are "fallen", and you get an AoO when you "get up".

Lunix Vandal
2009-11-14, 02:45 AM
I believe the rules state that you fall down and go boom.This. IIRC, if you get knocked prone in midair, you immediately fall 10-ish squares. If this tries to send you through the floor, you take falling damage (unless negated by a killer Acrobatics check, a Ring of Feather Fall, etc.), and then go prone.

Incidentally, I seem to recall that that was how one of Mando's players originally intended to keep Tiamat grounded in Mando's "To Kill a Goddess" one-shot a year or so back. ... But was dissuaded from trying it by Tiamat's "I'm a deity, I get immediate +5 saves against everything except straight-up damage" clause. Which Mando was "kind" enough to remind him of.

Mando Knight
2009-11-14, 03:35 AM
Incidentally, I seem to recall that that was how one of Mando's players originally intended to keep Tiamat grounded in Mando's "To Kill a Goddess" one-shot a year or so back. ... But was dissuaded from trying it by Tiamat's "I'm a deity, I get immediate +5 saves against everything except straight-up damage" clause. Which Mando was "kind" enough to remind him of.

No, the real problem is that even if you ground Tiamat, she's got five heads that each do nasty things to you. If she wants to fly, there's no way you can stop her. She can fly faster than you on each move action, teleport at-will, and can do so more than just twice per round. On top of that, she's dominated one of your friends, blinded you and a couple others, and then turned your mount into a chew toy. With at-wills.

LibraryOgre
2009-11-14, 10:26 AM
you have a "fall" animation in the air... you are still hovering 50 feet above ground, but you are "fallen", and you get an AoO when you "get up".

Silly man. Everyone knows I've fallen, and I can't get up!

Or, at least, everyone who remembers 80s commercials...

jmbrown
2009-11-14, 10:48 AM
I have a wondrous item which summons a griffon for 12 or so hours. I'm a wizard 11 bloodmage. Should I ride it or should I give it to a party member? I got a swordmage, 2 rogues, avenger, and a dwarf fighter.

No, the griffon's yours. You ride it unless it's an emergency that someone else needs to.

Unless you fly ahead, you have to maintain the same speed as the rest of the group. Would you lend your car to a friend when he has a vehicle? Would a fighter give his cherished sword to another fighter who has a perfectly good weapon? IMO equipment should never be shared or lent unless it's mission critical.

rayne_dragon
2009-11-14, 11:10 AM
You're a wizard. Rain death and destruction on your earthbound foes from the comfort and safety of your trusty griffon. While you're at it pick up Blur or a Cloak of Displacement and a Mirrored Caparison to make yourself really hard to shoot down.

Tiki Snakes
2009-11-14, 03:45 PM
The feather-fall type item is also a must, frankly, just in-case you come up against creatures that knock-prone or immobilise at range.

d10 damage per 10 foot can be a killer. :)

Mando Knight
2009-11-14, 04:21 PM

Getting up from prone doesn't provoke an OA in 4e. Possibly because of the new proliferation of prone-knocking powers.

Indon
2009-11-14, 04:43 PM
Silly man. Everyone knows I've fallen, and I can't get up!

Or, at least, everyone who remembers 80s commercials...

LifeAlert commercials still use that catchphrase to this day.