PDA

View Full Version : NWN mods

Eldrys
2009-11-14, 02:53 AM
Okay, so I bought Neverwinter Nights Diamond edition(which include three mods)a while back, and I want more of the "premium modules" that BioWare made. "Pirates of the Sword Coast, "Infinite Dungeon," and "Wyvern Crown Cormyr," but I can't find them anywhere. can someone please help?

Athaniar
2009-11-14, 05:51 AM
Well, they were supposed to be on the official site, but they are apparently not there anymore... Sorry, no idea where they are, if they even exist anymore. However, you should try the Community Expansion Pack (http://nwn.bioware.com/players/cep.html), it gives you a lot of new material.

Thane of Fife
2009-11-14, 08:06 AM
Okay, so I bought Neverwinter Nights Diamond edition(which include three mods)a while back, and I want more of the "premium modules" that BioWare made. "Pirates of the Sword Coast, "Infinite Dungeon," and "Wyvern Crown Cormyr," but I can't find them anywhere. can someone please help?

I think that Bioware recently stopped selling them - or at least, I read that on their forum.

So, unfortunately, they are probablly no longer to be found.

On the other hand, be sure to check out the NWN Vault (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=LatestAdditions&clusters=modules&days=300&show_days_back=1), where users have made their own modules. There are some unbelievably good ones there, to the point where I am essentially no longer able to play the original campaigns.

For some examples, check out Tales of Arterra: The Lost (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=4046) or Crimson Tides of Tethyr (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=4188).

Sneak
2009-11-14, 08:25 AM
Full story on NWVault. (http://nwvault.ign.com/fullstory.php?id=55085)

Atari told Bioware to stop selling them, basically.

Anyway, I've never played any of the premium mods, but I still get life out of NWN. Thane of Fife is right, there are tons of great mods on the vault. Check out the hall of fame, they're all great in there.

Eldrys
2009-11-14, 06:27 PM
That's to bad:smallfrown:. I really wanted to play pirates of the sword coast. do you guys know of any pirate/seafaring themed mods out there?

Flickerdart
2009-11-14, 08:39 PM
There's the Storm of Zehir expansion for NWN2, which was halfway decent. If you want pirates and can find it on the cheap, it might be worth a try.

Eldrys
2009-11-15, 11:35 PM
So I've looked at some of the user created mods, and a lot of them look great. I was just wondering how you would go about downloading and playing them.

Sneak
2009-11-15, 11:37 PM
You download the .mod file and put it in the modules folder in your Neverwinter Nights folder. If it has any required hakpacks, you download those too and put them in the hak folder. Music goes in the music folder, movies (.bik) go in the movies folder, etc.

Eldrys
2009-11-15, 11:45 PM
Cool, that sounds simple enough. Thanks for the quick reply.

Thane of Fife
2009-11-16, 06:50 AM
Note that it is possible that you will need to download a .tlk file or a portrait (.bic?). In either case, you will note the lack of a folder to put them in. You'll need to create a "TLK" folder and a "portraits" folder to hold those.

Breltar
2009-11-16, 11:26 AM
Don't feel overwhelmed by adding mods to your game either, since almost all of it can be reversed.

There used to be a lot of tutorials on the vault and I think even a few on youtube if you go looking about how to mod your game or even make your own mod (not as hard as it seems unless you go really custom).

Eldrys
2009-11-17, 08:43 PM
So I downloaded a mod, the Tales of arterra: the awakening, and just got time to play it. but I have a small problem. I don't know how. so how do I access the mod I downloaded?

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-17, 08:46 PM
So I downloaded a mod, the Tales of arterra: the awakening, and just got time to play it. but I have a small problem. I don't know how. so how do I access the mod I downloaded?

It should be a choice for the game you play, under "modules'

It might be different for non-diamond edition versions of NWN though.

Eldrys
2009-11-17, 09:42 PM
I have diamond edition, but when I go to the "other modules" all of them are made by bioware. Any ideas why it isn't appearing?

Douglas
2009-11-17, 10:05 PM
Where did you put it? The .mod file should go in the modules subdirectory of your Neverwinter Nights install directory.

Also, I'd suggest you play Tales of Arterra: The Lost first. It's not necessary, but it gives a little extra background, both modules are very high quality, and if you're ever going to play them both you should play them in order.

Eldrys
2009-11-17, 10:14 PM
What I did is I downloaded the files onto my desktop, copied both the files. I then went to "my computer," then local disk then "program files," then "NeverwinterNights," then "NWN," then "modules," and I copied the mod file into that section, I then went out of "modules," and then into "music," where I then pasted the file containing the music. Did I do something wrong?

Douglas
2009-11-17, 10:16 PM
No, that sounds right.

Do you have the game fully updated and patched?

Eldrys
2009-11-17, 10:18 PM
yeah, I have update 1.69, which I'm positive is the most recent.

Douglas
2009-11-17, 10:25 PM
Wait, "copied both the files"... Unless you're just moving the zip files around there are more files than that. You need to extract the contents of the zip files. The main zip file contains two mod files. Both of these go in the modules folder. It also contains a .hak file, which should go in the hak folder. The three html files that are also in the archive can go wherever you like, you can read them with a web browser of your choice or just ignore them. The music zip file's contents all go in the music folder, I believe, but they do need to be extracted, not just left in the zip archive.

Eldrys
2009-11-17, 10:36 PM
Nice catch douglas. When I open up the folder I put in modules, I see 1 .hak, 2 files called "movie clip" and three HTML files.

EDIT: hmmmm, I just realized this is a sequel to his first mod, and looking through the "ReadMe" html file. it looks like I need the first one to play this game. sorry for the confusion.

Douglas
2009-11-17, 10:41 PM
The "movie clip" files are the mod files. It is an unfortunate coincidence that NWN modules and a common movie format share a file extension. Copy both of them out to the base modules folder and copy the hak file to the hak folder.

Double click on the hints and readme html files to open and read them if you want, but skip the walkthrough one unless you really want heavy spoilers. All three html files are extraneous data as far as the game itself is concerned, and are only there for if you want to read a little more about the module separately from playing it.

Open the music zip folder and copy everything in it to the base music folder.

Edit: You don't need the first one to play this one, and they are separate enough you don't have to play them in order to avoid confusion, but it is recommended.

Eldrys
2009-11-17, 10:45 PM
Thank you so much Douglas. I really appreciate your help:smalltongue: (if you couldn't already tell, I'm terrible with computers)

Douglas
2009-11-17, 10:57 PM
(if you couldn't already tell, I'm terrible with computers)
Yeah, the leaving everything still inside the zip files gave that away.

You're welcome.

Thane of Fife
2009-11-18, 07:35 AM
As a word of warning, you should play Tales of Arterra: The Lost (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=4046) before The Awakening. The latter is a sequel to the former, and expects a character who played through it. You'll miss out on some of the backstories if you play them in the wrong order.

Eldrys
2009-11-18, 08:28 PM
As a word of warning, you should play Tales of Arterra: The Lost (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=4046) before The Awakening. The latter is a sequel to the former, and expects a character who played through it. You'll miss out on some of the backstories if you play them in the wrong order.

Yeah I realized that shortly after downloading the awakening. For some reason, I thought that it was first in the series.

Also, on the topic of mods, are there any mods that add classes and races and such?

Breltar
2009-11-18, 11:20 PM
Yeah I realized that shortly after downloading the awakening. For some reason, I thought that it was first in the series.

Also, on the topic of mods, are there any mods that add classes and races and such?

I believe there was a character creator program that allowed you to alter your character beyond the scope of NWN and then import it to your game. It would give you wings and a lot of other things, even the ability to play monster races and the like. Look it up on the vault.

As far as additional races, most mods dont but a lot of the persistent worlds (think MMO style server play) online for NWN do add races.

WitchSlayer
2009-11-19, 04:48 AM
I believe you're referring to the Player Resource Consortium, or PRC:
http://www.nwnprc.com/news.php
It adds a ton of classes, races, prestige classes, spells, feats, and other things I'm probably missing. Suffice to say you'll be overwhelmed with choices.

Edit: I started playing Tales of Arterra and I just realized: The main character is Superman. Think about it.

Eldrys
2009-11-19, 07:34 PM
cool thanks for the link, but what files should I download to have the new content? is it the merge .hak files?

Also, is there any way to replace your existing character with a different one mid-game?

WitchSlayer
2009-11-20, 07:05 AM
Check the manual, it should tell you what to do. Just download the PRC pack .exe and the PRC character creator. Once you install you should be able to update the modules you want.

Thane of Fife
2009-11-20, 10:00 AM
Edit: I started playing Tales of Arterra and I just realized: The main character is Superman. Think about it.

The character's backstory is revealed in The Awakening (in fact, it's the main story element).

Also, is there any way to replace your existing character with a different one mid-game?

There is not. You'd need to start over.

dsmiles
2009-11-20, 10:20 AM
Check the manual, it should tell you what to do. Just download the PRC pack .exe and the PRC character creator. Once you install you should be able to update the modules you want.

mmmmm....PRC...so much goodness, so little time.

EDIT: Don't forget the OC PRC fix.