PDA

View Full Version : Alien as a Playable Race [PEACH]

imp_fireball
2009-11-14, 03:13 AM
They mostly come at night... mostly.
- Mostly that little girl from that movie (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/Alien?from=Main.Alien)... mostly.

Alien Brood Watcher
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Alien)
3d8+3 HD (16 HP)
Speed 40ft. (8 squares); Climb 30ft. (6 squares)
Init: +6
AC 17; touch 12; flat-footed 15
(+2 DEX, +5 Natural)
BAB +3; Grp +6
Attack Tail Spike (1d10+4, 19-20/x2)
Full-Attack Full attack +6 (1d10+4 Piercing, 19-20/x2)/+1 (1d6+3 Slashing, x2)/+1 (1d6+3 Slashing, x2)/+1 (1d8+3 Piercing, x2)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks None
Special Qualities Acid Blood, Adaptable, Hold Breath, Vacuum Sustainability, Track, Sense, Blind Sight 30ft.
Saves Fort +1 Ref +6 Will +4
Abilities Str 16, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 11
Skills Jump +11, Tumble +6, Survival +7, Listen +3
Feats Improved Initiative, Toughness
Environment Any
Organization Alone, or Brood (2 - 90+ Aliens including a Queen, 30+ Face Huggers and 20 - 90 eggs)
Challenge Rating 3
Treasure GM Discretion
Alignment Usually Neutral Evil
Advancement by Class Level or from Brood Watcher (3 HD) to Queen (10 HD)
Level Adjustment +4

Aliens as Characters

+5 Natural Armor
6 Natural Weapons and 4 Natural Attacks - Two Claws (1d6+STR Slashing, x2), One Tail Spike (1d10+1.5*STR Piercing, 19-20/x2) or Tail Slam (1d6+1.5*STR Bludgeoning, x2), and One Bite (1d8+STR Piercing, x2) or One Tongue Stab (1d4+STR Piercing, 18-20/x3); Chooses between tail and mouth weapons upon declaring attack
+6 STR, +4 DEX, +2 WIS
Adaptable (Ex): Aliens can persist and even thrive in extreme temperatures of negative 40 - positive 572 degrees.
Aliens cannot speak but may read and write if 2 skill points are invested. They do not automatically understand common but may communicate with others of their race (in hissing and screeching) automatically. Other races cannot speak the Alien's automatic language, but may find means to interpret it slowly at GM discretion.
The body of an alien is non-humanoid. Special armors must be made for them to wear. They cannot wield weapons without taking a -4 penalty. They cannot learn to be proficient in weapons unless at GM discretion. They may still cast spells, manifest powers and execute martial maneuvers however.
An alien is agile enough to stand on two or four limbs whenever necessary. They are considered quadrapedal for purposes of lifting capacity and opposed trip checks.
Size Medium, 40ft. Base Speed. 30ft. Climb.
Space/Reach: 5ft./5ft. Special: Tail Spike has 10ft. reach.
An Alien has three levels of Monstrous Humanoid, giving it 3 HD, +3 BAB, 3x4+INT modifier skill points, +3 to Will and Reflex saves and +1 to Fortitude saves, and 2 feats.
Acid Blood (Ex): Whenever an alien takes slashing or piercing damage, they bleed into their space and spaces adjacent to them, causing acid damage equal to the amount of damage the alien suffers to all objects and creatures (including allies). The Reflex DC to resist is equal to the attack roll of the weapon that damaged the alien. If there is no attack roll, then the DC is the damage the alien suffers. Although an alien reduced to -10 hp is dead, they must be reduced to negative hp equal to their total health in order to be obliterated. This is the maximum amount of damage their acid blood can cause - Ie. Durka, the Uber Charging Barbarian leap attacks Schklim, the Alien squishy, with his great sword for 80 damage. Schklim has 30 hp, and dies immediately, but provokes a reflex save from Durka. Durka fails his reflex save and suffers 60 acid damage, because Schklim is damaged beyond -30 hp, his obliteration threshold (at which point, the GM rules that he is completely eviscerated or that all of his innards are scattered).
Vacuum Sustainability (Ex): An Alien can survive in vacuum for 2d4 + CON modifier rounds.
Hold Breath (Ex): An Alien can hold its breath for 4 x CON score rounds before it risks drowning/suffocating.
Other Abilities: Scent, Track, Blindsight 30ft.
LA +4

TabletopNuke
2009-11-14, 04:11 PM
DO WANT! (Translation: I support the introduction of this race into D&D!)

Now all we need is for someone to stat out Bugs. Then we can pit Aliens vs. Bugs!

- Adaptable - Aliens can persist and even thrive in extreme temperatures of negative 40 - positive 300 degrees celsius.

D&D generally uses Fahrenheit, and I think that's what most of the gamers are familiar with. You should probably change that. Also, the aliens seem to be able to survive in space (for brief periods at least). Perhaps you could add the Hold Breath ability, and Vacuum Resistance (maybe the ability to survive in a vacuum for 4 x Con Mod rounds).

- An Alien has three levels of Monstrous Humanoid, giving it 3 HD, +3 BAB, 4x4+INT modifier skill points, +3 to Will and Reflex saves and +1 to Fortitude saves, and 2 feats.

Monstrous Humanoids gain 2+Int Mod skill points per level (except at 1st, of course). Also, you need to list their class skills.

Lastly, you should reformat this using the standard Player's Handbook design so it's easier to navigate. Use bold and underline, too.

imp_fireball
2009-11-14, 04:59 PM
You should probably change that.

I don't know farenheit. :smalltongue:

RandomLunatic
2009-11-14, 05:12 PM
I don't know farenheit. :smalltongue:

F=9/5C+32

Where F is temperature in degrees Farenheit, and C is temperature in degrees Centigrade.

So the range is from -22 to 572 F.

imp_fireball
2009-11-14, 05:27 PM
F=9/5C+32

Where F is temperature in degrees Farenheit, and C is temperature in degrees Centigrade.

So the range is from -22 to 572 F.

-40 to 572 according to my work.

[quote]Now all we need is for someone to stat out Bugs. Then we can pit Aliens vs. Bugs!/quote]

Ugh, and while we're at it, zerg, tyranids and... did I miss anything?

I actually was in the process of a StarCraft (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127966) D&D translation with modernistic themes (foregoing d20 modern) but I got bored.

TabletopNuke
2009-11-14, 07:38 PM
I actually was in the process of a StarCraft D&D translation with modernistic themes (foregoing d20 modern) but I got bored.

I'm trying to make a modern/futuristic adaptation of D&D 3.5 (not d20 Modern) for my sci-fi fantasy setting, Breakdown. I have no knowledge of StarCraft, but I'd be happy to collaborate with you.

Also, the alien features are much easier to read, now. Thank you for reformatting it.

imp_fireball
2009-11-14, 10:04 PM
I'm trying to make a modern/futuristic adaptation of D&D 3.5 (not d20 Modern) for my sci-fi fantasy setting, Breakdown. I have no knowledge of StarCraft, but I'd be happy to collaborate with you.

Also, the alien features are much easier to read, now. Thank you for reformatting it.

You don't need to play the game (it's from '98; still played competitively, mainly in south korea), but you can read all the lore at the starcraft wiki when you've got time.

I always find it fun to collaborate with people who know about the fluff as well. :)

Also, I could probably help out with breakdown if you want criticism. Although in fair warning: I don't really fancy myself all that good at it. :smalltongue:

TabletopNuke
2009-11-15, 12:55 AM
You don't need to play the game (it's from '98; still played competitively, mainly in south korea), but you can read all the lore at the starcraft wiki when you've got time.

I always find it fun to collaborate with people who know about the fluff as well. :)

Also, I could probably help out with breakdown if you want criticism. Although in fair warning: I don't really fancy myself all that good at it. :smalltongue:
I'd love any help I can get.

If you'd be willing to share, we could stat out sci-fi features (equipment and pricing, new skills, ect) together. Then you could use it for your StarCraft game, and I can refluff/rename it for Breakdown. This is probably heading into off-topic territory though. I could start a "Sci-Fi Flavored D&D" thread that we could work this out on. How's that sound?

imp_fireball
2009-11-15, 01:10 AM
I'd say that sounds good.

TabletopNuke
2009-11-15, 01:18 AM
I'd say that sounds good.

I'll go start it.

Haven
2009-11-15, 01:25 AM
Awesome.

The only thing I can see is missing is that there's no favored class (probably Rogue?) listed.

SurlySeraph
2009-11-15, 03:46 AM
Not much to add, except that this is awesome. I like the note that they can still use martial maneuvers - an alien Swordsage would be a really terrifying opponent.

Athaniar
2009-11-15, 06:30 AM
It looks good, but I suggest you call them Xenomorphs in order to avoid ambiguity.

NosferatuZodd
2009-11-15, 11:41 AM
You should convert this to a monster class.

Eldan
2009-11-15, 11:50 AM
Just a question: why, except for balance reasons, are they monstrous humanoids? Aberration seems much more fitting to me.

Athaniar
2009-11-15, 12:13 PM
Just a question: why, except for balance reasons, are they monstrous humanoids? Aberration seems much more fitting to me.

An aberration has a bizarre anatomy, strange abilities, an alien mindset, or any combination of the three.
Check, check, and check. Yes, aberration is the appropriate type for these.