PDA

View Full Version : Any Psionic Tattoo Suggestions? [3.5]

Zaq
2009-11-14, 05:51 AM
So, I've become enamored with this semi-infamous Mind's Eye article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a), and I want to include some rechargeable psionic tattoos on my backup character (a Warforged DFA), because they fit the flavor so well (and because they're interesting, as well). The Relay, Mental Tap, and Capacitor are all really nice options at rather affordable costs, and I love the concept of psionic circuitry all over my robot charging and activating and giving him cool abilities.

The question is, what powers would be best to grab? I want to stick to 1st-level ones, because otherwise they'll charge way too slowly (I'm not a manifester, so it'll be hard enough for me to get enough power points to charge the capacitors, let alone overload them with transistors. Yes, I know that by RAW you don't need power points at all in order for capacitors to function, but RAI is clear, and I'm sticking with the interpretation that you have to HAVE a power point before you can feed it to a capacitor), but the occasional 2nd or 3rd could work if it's just that awesome. (Alternatively, if anyone can think of a cheap way to get more power points per day that doesn't involve burning feats or class levels, I could use that to charge transistors on higher-level tats, and therefore get some of the really juicy abilities. I've currently got 7, from Psiforged Body, Power Generator, and Crystal Node.) Grip of Iron could be fun if I want to use my Grappling Vines (yeah, grappling on a DFA is flat-out stupid, but how can I resist the allure of Go Go Gadget Arms?); Mindlink could be interesting as a utility power; Protection from Evil is always good to keep on tap but might not be worth the investment; Precognition might be worthwhile... can anyone think of any other good options? Like I said, I'm not totally averse to 2nd or even 3rd level powers, but since I'll need a big investment to use them with any regularity, they'd better be really, really worth it. (I mean, the cost is probably worthwhile... getting psionic options on a non-psionic character is pretty sweet, after all, especially with the action economy offered by Mental Tap and Relay.)

Eldariel
2009-11-14, 07:45 AM
I believe you can find a BG Handbook on the subject here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4319.0). They're very interesting.

Zaq
2009-11-14, 02:31 PM
I had read that topic already, Eldariel, but to be honest I didn't find it very helpful. They tended to be very focused on the higher-level tattoos, including the ones above 3rd level that you need the extra feat to make (there was a lot of talk on how broken and/or powerful Psionic Reformation is with a capacitor...). While interesting, those don't really help me much, because without some way of getting a ton of power points to channel into transducers (remember, non-manifester), they become about as accessible as a monk's Quivering Palm, if not worse.

I mostly need some ideas about how to take advantage of getting some low-level utility powers on an otherwise nonpsionic (or barely psionic) character. Any ideas? I suppose Inertial Armor isn't a bad idea if it's hooked up to a Mental Tap, particularly Relayed to Force Screen ("activating defense systems... defense systems online.") I really am especially interested in Mental Taps, since they give me a way to use my swift actions (DFAs get very, very few in-class uses for swifts. The only one I can think of offhand is the Frightful Presence invocation, which I do not plan to take.), but I'm still pondering on what, exactly.