PDA

View Full Version : So. . . Haley's kinda pervy. . .

Jarin_G
2009-11-14, 07:57 AM
No self control. . . at all. :smallsigh:

TheSummoner
2009-11-14, 08:00 AM
Eh, until fairly recently shes been separated from her lover. You'd want a little fun too after such a long time apart.

Adeptus
2009-11-14, 08:03 AM
And they are in mortal danger all the time. Check how RAF fighter pilots partied during the Battle of Britain.

Besides, she's riding a giant pink purple worm...

Shadowcaller
2009-11-14, 08:03 AM
Can't help to wonder what people would have said if Elan did the same thing...

Kaytara
2009-11-14, 08:18 AM

They'd probably say he was sex-obsessed and being pushy. Which amounts to the same thing. Don't see your point there.

TheSummoner
2009-11-14, 08:20 AM

My reaction would depend on her reaction probably...

Ancalagon
2009-11-14, 08:24 AM

Do I hear.. jealousy? :)

The MunchKING
2009-11-14, 08:53 AM

I'd wonder why HE got turned on looking at someone else's giant throbbing purple worm. :smalltongue:

Weimann
2009-11-14, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure why this point is brought up at all. Let's take a look at what we know. Because, yes, we KNOW stuff about Haley. We've followed her through her endeavours and trials for... I don't know, how long has OotS been going on IC? For quite some time, at any rate. Through this period, we have followed her life in most intimate detail. We've even had a look inside her head, ferchrissakes.

Through this time, we have found little to no evidence of Haley being more than normally interested in romantic or sexual contact with others. Right, so she's hot for Elan, and might have some problems containing herself around him, but that's because she has proclaimed him the love of her life. It's not like she'd hump any geezer who happened to have a charisma score above 16 (or at least, we have found no evidence of that, so we will have to assume it).

My point is, one instance of a behaviour does not a personality make (contrast: alignment debates).

Edit: I do agree it's kind of strange to sate that particular need on top of a giant worm, though. I'd be disgusted out of my mind and hard pressed to not puke. I suppose Haley has a hardier stomach than I.

Edit 2: I'd be happy to take a discussion on the definition of "pervy" as well. It's been bothering me for some time how universally the term is used.

TheSummoner
2009-11-14, 09:51 AM
Further question, how would it even work while riding on the back of a giant worm?

I'd imagine atleast one of them would fall off the worm if they tried... Wouldnt that be a fun thing to explain to the rest of the group.

Zanaril
2009-11-14, 10:08 AM
Further question, how would it even work while riding on the back of a giant worm?

I'd imagine atleast one of them would fall off the worm if they tried... Wouldnt that be a fun thing to explain to the rest of the group.

It's a very big worm.

derfenrirwolv
2009-11-14, 10:38 AM
They'd probably say he was sex-obsessed and being pushy. Which amounts to the same thing. Don't see your point there

The point is that in our cultural narative there is a difference between how we view a man that pushes for sex (crude, boorish, demanding and insensitive) and how we view a woman who pushes for sex (either a woman without virtue or, or WHooo HOOO!)

Gamerlord
2009-11-14, 10:59 AM

She hasn't seen the love of her life in, what, 150+ strips? They just got back together like 50 something strips ago.

I doubt YOU would have any self-control in the situation either.

TheSummoner
2009-11-14, 11:26 AM
It's a very big worm.

True, but I would imagine its moving pretty fast and wriggling around as it does. It just doesnt seem to me like its the kind of thing you could stay on without making an effort to keep your balance.

Dark Faun
2009-11-14, 11:27 AM
Haley's kinda pervy? No, sir, no. She's a perfectly normal young woman with a perfectly normal and healthy sexual appetite.

And the most horrible timing I ever witnessed.

Kaytara
2009-11-14, 11:28 AM
The point is that in our cultural narative there is a difference between how we view a man that pushes for sex (crude, boorish, demanding and insensitive) and how we view a woman who pushes for sex (either a woman without virtue or, or WHooo HOOO!)

I meant that Elan being pushy and Haley being "without virtue" amounts to nearly the same thing, namely, they are both negative ideas. While it's true that a woman being pushy would be more controversial and be seen as less intrinsically negative than a man being pushy, it's not THAT much of a double standard, I think.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-14, 11:28 AM

Except 'crude, boorish, demanding, and insensitive' seems fairly similar to 'without virtue' and I've just as often seen guys go "duuuuude!" to a guy who pushed for it.

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 11:36 AM
I meant that Elan being pushy and Haley being "without virtue" amounts to nearly the same thing, namely, they are both negative ideas. While it's true that a woman being pushy would be more controversial and be seen as less intrinsically negative than a man being pushy, it's not THAT much of a double standard, I think.

Actually... more intrinsically negative. We label girls like Hayley to be "sluts" and guys who are like her to be "players"... although if Elan had mentioned a purple worm as a reason, we would have to question his... manliness. :smalleek:

And Hayley is a rogue... we don't expect her to behave like a "proper lady"... we never did. Not even on page one. Never. I'm also very certain that she is not normal. Just look at all those other "Hayleys" in her subconscious.

theinsulabot
2009-11-14, 12:22 PM
it....was....a.....JOKE!

yeesh, people are reading WAY to much into this. haley makes jokes and one liners all the frikken time, remember roy's little gender bender?

the fact that she might make a crack about a giant worm to her lover isnt surprising in the slightest.

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 12:26 PM
There's no doubt that the comic is a joke.. :smallwink:

Although if you were IN the comic world, it wouldn't be a joke. :smalltongue:

theinsulabot
2009-11-14, 12:33 PM
There's no doubt that the comic is a joke.. :smallwink:

Although if you were IN the comic world, it wouldn't be a joke. :smalltongue:

yes it would be. thats the thing. haley was joking to ethan. she was not being serious about it, she was just feeling a little adventurous, knew she had some free time and privacy while the others were navigating, decided to have some fun. elan asked why, and she made a one liner about being turned on by a giant worm.

its a joke both in panel and out

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 12:35 PM
Well, thing is, with the OOTS, you can never be fully sure. :smallwink:

They really don't have much privacy... they are fully exposed out in the open... and the others can't keep navigating forever... :smalltongue:

Kish
2009-11-14, 12:43 PM
There is no member of the Order named Ethan.

NYYanks6083
2009-11-14, 12:43 PM
Honestly, I wasn't really that surprised, I mean lets look at the people involved here: The Chaotic Good Bard with amazing charisma and and the Chaotic Good Rogue with good charisma. They're both Chaotic, so a sense of "breaking the rules" and "being naughty" is pretty much expected so long as no one gets seriously hurt(the Good part). Unless you count the worm, though it's feelings on people humping ontop of it are unclear so, :smallsigh:

Be a hilarious disaster if Roy did decide to go look for them though:smalltongue:

:roy: Elan? Haley? Are you two - Oh for the love of!!!!:smallyuk:

:elan: Don't worry Roy, we're both invisible:smallbiggrin:

Turkish Delight
2009-11-14, 12:45 PM
What weirds me out is that I can't imagine they'd have much privacy. It's a big worm, but it ain't that big. A very quick search would be all it takes for someone to catch them In flagrante delicto. To risk it at such a time suggests she doesn't really mind that much if some of the other party members stumble across them making the stick with two backs.

We don't know all that much about Haley's perversions, aside from some past bi-curiosity. But I wouldn't be surprised if she were really, really sexually open.

A threesome with Durkon is needed.

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 12:50 PM
Well, Hayley IS a chaotic rogue... that alone implies some level of disrespect for social rules... :smallwink:

Plus, it isn't like women don't have sexual urges too... even if Hayley happens to be rather... mentally complex...

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-14, 12:54 PM
Pervy? I'm unlikely to be a good judge, because I've seen /b/, but there is nothing perverse about what Haley is doing. She is engaging in heterosexual intercourse with a single other human with whom she is in a stable relationship. The location is odd, but she's chaotic and a rogue, which implies that she has an in-comic duty to be risqué.

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 01:01 PM
It is the worm thing that is pervy. Not many women are turned on by worms... :smalleek:

It also looks like Hayley is going to ride Elan's... worm, from the position they are in... :smallwink:

Rad
2009-11-14, 01:22 PM
You, sir, just made my day :smallbiggrin:

On topic... I honestly don't see how being forward sexually means being perverted. Soo... Haley's kinda likes to make love with Elan and is not afraid to say it, And we knew it already (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0404.html).

Herald Alberich
2009-11-14, 01:29 PM

THIS...............

drengnikrafe
2009-11-14, 01:32 PM
They really don't have much privacy... they are fully exposed out in the open... and the others can't keep navigating forever... :smalltongue:

The worm is really, quite terribly large, I imagine they are fully obscured from anyone who didn't go looking.

Also, the others will be navigating for plenty long enough. A few hours (instead of a few weeks), as it turns out. And each one of them is necessary. Without Roy, they'll fall off track. Without Durkon, they won't know how far they've gone, and won't be able to pierce illusions. Without Belkar, they'll stop moving. Without Vaarsuvius, Belkar will be useless to the worm, and the worm will stop moving.

Now, I imagine 2-3 hours will be plenty of time for Haley and Elan to not get caught.

As for whether or not Haley is pervy... I say no. I say she had plenty of self control, waiting the time between when they left (roughly an hour, I think), and at a point where Elan didn't seem to serve any great purpose as far as navigation. I say she has an amazing amount of self control, given the circumstances.

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 01:32 PM
Now you've just posted something that will NOT be in the comic! lol

Rich doesn't copy stuff from the forums into it... :smallsmile:

EDIT: I got ninja'd! lol

Anyway, I'd say she has little self-control if she can't wait until AFTER they are off the worm to do it...

derfenrirwolv
2009-11-14, 01:35 PM
You only get the thumbs up if it works. Otherwise you were being too pushy.

The reverse might be true for women too, however the guy always says yes...

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 01:36 PM
Only in webcomics does every guy say yes... and not even there! Roy said NO to Sabine... and knocked her out of a window! :smallbiggrin:

Dark Faun
2009-11-14, 01:50 PM
Which was the best part of the whole comic. Ever. No, not even that is fit to hold a candle to it.

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 01:55 PM
And proof that a guy has to have some standards. Roy does. :smallbiggrin:

drengnikrafe
2009-11-14, 01:57 PM
Durkon also has standards. For instance, he won't spend any more time with somebody who's already married.

Dark Faun
2009-11-14, 02:00 PM
And proof that a guy has to have some standards. Roy does. :smallbiggrin:
The standards being "if that thing can drain my life until I'm a lifeless husk by touching me, no. Not ever. Especially that my current girlfriend can shoot lightning out of her fingertips." :smalltongue:

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 02:08 PM
Oh, like that's stopped other guys from "touching" a succubus in D&D? :smallbiggrin::smallwink:

Mordokai
2009-11-14, 02:19 PM
The standards being "if that thing can drain my life until I'm a lifeless husk by touching me, no. Not ever. Especially that my current girlfriend can shoot lightning out of her fingertips." :smalltongue:

Given the right voltage... :smalltongue:

Dark Faun
2009-11-14, 02:21 PM
Let's not steer this topic towards BDSM, 'kay? :smalltongue:

Oh, like that's stopped other guys from "touching" a succubus in D&D? :smallbiggrin::smallwink:
Yes, but Roy is smart. :smallbiggrin:

To steer this back on topic... I wouldn't call this act, wanting to make love to your lover, "pervy." Perverted would be spying on Elan while he showers before they get together. Haley wanting to see what's Elan 18 CHA is worth under the hood is a better example of "pervy" behavior. Belkar wanting Miko to bath so that he can oggle her is as well. But what happened in the latest comic? I wouldn't call it perverted at all. At least they're both willing and aware of what's going on (unlike the previous examples).

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 02:21 PM
Does anyone smell a catfight between Sabine and Celia... oh... this is getting off-topic. :smallbiggrin:

Winthur
2009-11-14, 02:54 PM
Does anyone smell a catfight between Sabine and Celia... oh... this is getting off-topic. :smallbiggrin:

Crystal gets rezzed and this time decides to try a pillow death attack. By Tumbling down (L4D Hunter style) on Haley in the middle of a muddy swamp. :smallamused:

And later they have an embroidery contest.

What?

Also, I'd just like to say that a woman is usually called a "slut" when she thinks about sex like a man would.

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 02:56 PM
Also, I'd just like to say that a woman is usually called a "slut" when she thinks about sex like a man would.

Must be a LOT of "sluts" out there. :smallbiggrin: The idea that women want it less is largely a construct of Victorianism and political correctness... society just tells them to keep quiet about it more.

TriForce
2009-11-14, 05:16 PM

also, im pretty sure both have enough ranks in tumble to do it while standing on their hands on that worm.....

also, pervy is good, especially in woman, every guy who disagrees is either in denial with his own sexual orientation or simply lying to himself :smallwink: at least in my twisted little world they are:smallbiggrin:

sam79
2009-11-14, 05:33 PM

Finally, the Balance skill can be put to a good use!

Mordokai
2009-11-14, 05:36 PM
also, pervy is good, especially in woman, every guy who disagrees is either in denial with his own sexual orientation or simply lying to himself :smallwink: at least in my twisted little world they are:smallbiggrin:

I am not alone anymore!

*does a happy dance*

Euron
2009-11-14, 05:39 PM
Haley wants to have heterosexual intercourse in the missionary position with her stable long-term partner... SHE DISGUSTS ME

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 05:45 PM
It's not what she wants to do with him, but WHERE she wants to do it... and what gets her aroused that is odd. :smallwink:

Scarlet Knight
2009-11-14, 05:56 PM
They're both Chaotic, so a sense of "breaking the rules" and "being naughty" is pretty much expected so long as no one gets seriously hurt(the Good part).

FUN-ny!

You are right, they are chaotic. Haley being raised by thieves implies that she is less inclined to care for the rules of others.

She nearly lost Elan & realizes their time together is precious & perhaps, limited. For Elan, bedding a beauty is part of his class; the fact that he loves her is bonus!

And honestly, I can't speak against someone sneaking sex in an inappropriate place; I know I've tried!

Now, if you want to argue that it's pervy to have "latent bisexuality", I can't believe that too many men out there would complain if their beloved had that trait, too! :smalltongue:

Boogastreehouse
2009-11-14, 06:19 PM
I just don't get it. Why is it wrong for people to enjoy having sex?

Liking sex, and wanting to indulge in it when you've got the free time (and they have hours and hours of free time right now!) is so normal that I can't even begin to understand the point of this thread!

Seriously, what the heck is with you guys on this forum?

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 06:21 PM
Because they are doing it on a giant worm! That's like... doing it on a whale... except that the whale is in the sand, not the water...

Boogastreehouse
2009-11-14, 06:22 PM
Because they are doing it on a giant worm! That's like... doing it on a whale... except that the whale is in the sand, not the water...

Doing it on the back of a huge whale sounds awesome!

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 06:28 PM
... just keep telling yourself that. :smallbiggrin:

Maybe we'll start doing it on the backs of horses next...:smallwink:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-14, 06:32 PM
Haley wants to have heterosexual intercourse in the missionary position with her stable long-term partner... SHE DISGUSTS ME

Now hold on, how do you know it's going to be missionary?

And for that matter, don't they still have the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity? :smalltongue:

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 06:33 PM
It kinda looks like cowgirl from the comic, actually. :smallwink:

Sewblon
2009-11-14, 07:48 PM
I'd wonder why HE got turned on looking at someone else's giant throbbing purple worm. :smalltongue: I have had many suspicion's about that since he took the belt of femininity/masculinity back in the Dungeon of Durukon. If I ever got confirmation like that I would celebrate by laughing maniacally and listening to Rammstien. I think all of The Order are at least slightly perverted, except for Vaarsuvius who's sexuality shall remain forever undefined.

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 07:58 PM
Durkon appears normal, as far as I can tell... except... he likes really short women! lol. No, he's fine.

Sewblon
2009-11-14, 08:04 PM
Durkon appears normal, as far as I can tell... except... he likes really short women! lol. No, he's fine. In one of the bonus strips in No Cure for The Paladin Blues he remarked that he was enjoying watching two women make out, which in and of itself is pretty normal in this era(ahh kids these days) but they wear human so he, apparently, likes taller women, and he is so under-used he probably has a myriad of secrets that we will never discover, so he could easily be a complete pervert.

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 08:16 PM
Well... in response to that... he IS acting normal in the sense of "What Would Thor do." :smallwink:

Sewblon
2009-11-14, 08:21 PM
Well... in response to that... he IS acting normal in the sense of "What Would Thor do." :smallwink: Thor would have spent all night having a threesome with them, I know Durkon has a charisma penalty, but that doesn't excuse not trying.

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 09:59 PM
Well, maybe he has yet to achieve TRUE oneness with Thor... :smallwink:

Milandros
2009-11-14, 10:12 PM
We label girls like Hayley to be "sluts"

Do you? I certainly don't.

Presumeably your categorisation of women is "sluts" and "women who only ever have sex with one partner, their husband, after they are officially married."

Are they allowed to enjoy it then? Or are they "sluts" if they do?

As for the "worm" comment, Haley is making a silly joke. Not everything everyone says, including one-liner joke comments, is an indication of hidden psychological disturbance.

She's a healthy young woman with a normal, decent sex drive, going into danger, recently reunited with the love of her life, who has a few hours where they both have nothing to do except travel. They've found somewhere as private as they can to spend a little time together and make love. Good for them.

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 11:11 PM
Well, we know for a fact that Hayley IS disturbed, regardless of that one-liner...

And the "slut" comment is not what I personally label those women, it is a common label given by society. Not by me personally. If it were up to me, that's not what we would call them. It isn't up to me though... it's one of those culture things...

TheSummoner
2009-11-14, 11:22 PM
I wouldnt call Haley a slut... She has one partner who shes been in a committed relationship with for a while and got to know him quite well before their relationship became sexual.

If thats a slut then I may have to lower my standards a bit. I've got nothing but distaste for people that I do consider to be sluts... those who I consider to be far too open sexually. Haley does not fit my definition of a slut though.

banthesun
2009-11-14, 11:23 PM
The thing that creeps me out is they are right under one of the plates of the worm's carapace. Worms move by wriggling. If it was me I'd be deeply concerned about being squished under the worm's caracpace. :smalleek:

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 11:48 PM
I wouldnt call Haley a slut... She has one partner who shes been in a committed relationship with for a while and got to know him quite well before their relationship became sexual.

If thats a slut then I may have to lower my standards a bit. I've got nothing but distaste for people that I do consider to be sluts... those who I consider to be far too open sexually. Haley does not fit my definition of a slut though.

Well, maybe not in one sense... but in another... it has more to do with where she is doing it and less to do with what she is doing. She can't wait a little while, so she would rather do it out in the open... on the back of a giant worm... :smalleek:

TheSummoner
2009-11-14, 11:49 PM
Yeah... the whole on a giant worm, friends are right there, minimal privacy thing is a bit much, but I'd call that more kinky than slutty.

nonamearisto
2009-11-14, 11:52 PM
Yeah... the whole on a giant worm, friends are right there, minimal privacy thing is a bit much, but I'd call that more kinky than slutty.

Good point. Pervy is a better term than slutty. Kinky has almost positive connotations these days...

rewinn
2009-11-15, 12:03 AM

Think of it as a big, vibrating mattress...

From the 1st panel, it looks like the worm is plenty wide. And from the last panel, they have SOME privacy from the way the worm's scale is rising above them. It's not clear where they are but they could be hiding out on the middle hump, or they could be near the front, but 3 scales back ... plenty of privacy, compared to some dorms

It'd be funny if Elan could illusion up some sort of "Do Not Disturb" sign, but it wouldn't last if it took any sort of concentration. Anyway, the only member of the party who would deliberately interrupt the young lovers is currently in Vaarsuvius' Maximized Hand Of Dangling Annoying Hominoid And/Or Moderately Sized (Or Smaller) Creatures For An Indefinite Duration

===

Editted to make spellname longer. After all, it's V.

Shale
2009-11-15, 12:48 AM
Good point. Pervy is a better term than slutty. Kinky has almost positive connotations these days...

And god forbid "enjoying sex" should be given positive connotations.

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-15, 01:16 AM
Ah, they're all positive as far as I'm concerned.

But then, I've done it on the back of a whale and found the whole experience to be rather tame. :smallsigh:

Drider
2009-11-15, 02:31 AM
True, but I would imagine its moving pretty fast and wriggling around as it does. It just doesnt seem to me like its the kind of thing you could stay on without making an effort to keep your balance.

I imagine the worms skin feeling like some horrible combination of slightly moist and extremely leathery(with all the stink that implies). Also, heaven forbid if the section things are'nt able to provide shade, otherwise when you get dirty from it(the worms skin, and the act) and stand up, the sun dries the nasty-ness on you and you have to wait for it to crust off. If all that is'nt horrible, imagine being covered in the worm germs, if your y'know...bits(want to not say anything more than PG-13)...got their inside dirty, that could ruin your day, week, and month with constant severe scrubbing, or you'd probably get some stanky worm disease.

AdamSmasher
2009-11-15, 03:05 AM
Sir, that worm has a carapace.

That, combined with the fact that it lives in a desert makes it highly unlikely that it is slimy. That'd be a waste of water.

Even in a world of magic... where desert food supplies are plentiful enough for a 200 ton sand burrowing worm to survive.

Aaron
2009-11-15, 03:57 AM
From the 1st panel, it looks like the worm is plenty wide. And from the last panel, they have SOME privacy from the way the worm's scale is rising above them. It's not clear where they are but they could be hiding out on the middle hump, or they could be near the front, but 3 scales back ... plenty of privacy, compared to some dorms

It'd be funny if Elan could illusion up some sort of "Do Not Disturb" sign, but it wouldn't last if it took any sort of concentration. Anyway, the only member of the party who would deliberately interrupt the young lovers is currently in Vaarsuvius' Maximized Hand Of Dangling Annoying Hominoid And/Or Moderately Sized (Or Smaller) Creatures For An Indefinite Duration

===

Editted to make spellname longer. After all, it's V.

I am soooo using that spell in my next DND game on my friends!:smallamused:
Think of all the parties!:smalltongue:

Innis Cabal
2009-11-15, 04:18 AM
I'd imagine atleast one of them would fall off the worm if they tried...

Hate when that happens.

Jarin_G
2009-11-15, 05:49 AM
Holy crap I'm gone fer a day and now there's like 80 posts :smalleek:

Well my point stands :smallconfused:

Weimann
2009-11-15, 05:59 AM
Holy crap I'm gone fer a day and now there's like 80 posts :smalleek:

Well my point stands :smallconfused:I actually believe your point is being beaten into submission, but that's just my opinion >.>

And it likes it!

Mordokai
2009-11-15, 06:00 AM
I'd tend to agree with Weimann on this one. Ok, so she's kinky. What's the point? We(or should I say, I) like girls and women like that :smallbiggrin:

Elanorea
2009-11-15, 06:24 AM
Edit 2: I'd be happy to take a discussion on the definition of "pervy" as well. It's been bothering me for some time how universally the term is used.

Perversion:
A sexual practice or act considered abnormal; sexual deviance; immorality.

Now I don't know 'bout you, but where I live, having sex on top of a gigantic worm is considered abnormal.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Tryble
2009-11-15, 06:31 AM
I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but maybe the issue is that she's trying to have sex with Elan, you know, right out there in the open?

ref
2009-11-15, 10:22 AM
Now I don't know 'bout you, but where I live, having sex on top of a gigantic worm is considered abnormal.

But what about where they live?

Zanaril
2009-11-15, 10:54 AM
But what about where they live?

When you're an adventurer, you're practically obliged to have frequent close Encounters.

FujinAkari
2009-11-15, 10:55 AM
And god forbid "enjoying sex" should be given positive connotations.

Except the issue has nothing to do with whether she enjoys or doesn't enjoy sex, the issue is that she's having sex in public right next to her friends.

That is something that society doesn't typically condone.

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-15, 11:20 AM
Except the issue has nothing to do with whether she enjoys or doesn't enjoy sex, the issue is that she's having sex in public right next to her friends.

That is something that society doesn't typically condone.
Since when has OotS been about typical society?

FujinAkari
2009-11-15, 12:57 PM
Since when has OotS been about typical society?

Since when has this topic been about the social mores of the OOTS' society?

Kish
2009-11-15, 01:32 PM
Since when has this topic been about the social mores of the OOTS' society?

As far as I can tell, the entirety of the thread subject at its start is that Jarin_G disapproves of her actions.

No part of Shale's post talks about "society," either.

rewinn
2009-11-15, 03:16 PM

I don't think it's quite out in the open, since nobody knows where they are.

As for the thrill of maybe getting caught, well ... some like the spice.

TheSummoner
2009-11-15, 03:21 PM
Her friends know they're either somewhere on the worm or fell off and got lost in the desert. I doubt any of the order thinks they're stupid enough to fall off the worm... I doubt any of the order thinks Haley is stupid enough to fall off the worm...

Zeful
2009-11-15, 03:42 PM
Let's not steer this topic towards BDSM, 'kay? :smalltongue:.

I think you misunderstood, electricity, at normal house voltages, can kill, but electrical stimulation at low voltage and very low amperage can be very stimulating. You can actually find schematics for toys based on the principle online if you know where to look.

And I agree with everyone in saying that Haley's not pervy, a little unconventional sure, but we knew that already.

chef781
2009-11-15, 03:54 PM
In one of the bonus strips in No Cure for The Paladin Blues he remarked that he was enjoying watching two women make out, which in and of itself is pretty normal in this era(ahh kids these days) but they wear human so he, apparently, likes taller women, and he is so under-used he probably has a myriad of secrets that we will never discover, so he could easily be a complete pervert.
I think that was in war and XP's. It was on new years eve, so I could be wrong

nonamearisto
2009-11-15, 05:09 PM
I think you misunderstood, electricity, at normal house voltages, can kill, but electrical stimulation at low voltage and very low amperage can be very stimulating. You can actually find schematics for toys based on the principle online if you know where to look.

And I agree with everyone in saying that Haley's not pervy, a little unconventional sure, but we knew that already.

What do you mean "everyone"? :smallamused:

Yeah, she's pervy alright, but that's just part of her character... she's everyone's favorite, worm-loving, roguish latent bisexual who has a tangent for doing it out in the open... on top of said worm. :smallwink:

Zanaril
2009-11-15, 06:06 PM
I think all of The Order are at least slightly perverted, except for Vaarsuvius who's sexuality shall remain forever undefined.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that V's the worst of all of them. Elves as a species have far too much time on their hands.

Yuoaman
2009-11-15, 07:06 PM
You can blame the worm, I'm sure if they were riding some other giant creature this wouldn't have happened.

theinsulabot
2009-11-15, 07:33 PM
You can blame the worm, I'm sure if they were riding some other giant creature this wouldn't have happened.

what about the giant vagina monster from borderlands?

FujinAkari
2009-11-15, 08:15 PM
As far as I can tell, the entirety of the thread subject at its start is that Jarin_G disapproves of her actions.

No part of Shale's post talks about "society," either.

No, but Jarin's post is clearly rising from his (modern-day) moral expectations, not that of the OOTS-world.

@rewinn: Yes, some have the thrill of almost getting caught, but those that actually do it are typically considered pervy (when they -do- get caught anyway!)

For the record, I have no problem with Haley being sexually adventurous, but I dislike people immediately assuming that any discontention regarding her actions immediately translates to general sexual repressiveness.

Or, since that seemed awfully highbrow to me: Just because I don't like people screwing im public doesn't mean I don't think they should like screwing!

Ronan
2009-11-15, 09:08 PM
:smallsigh:

So... Haley is Elan's girlfriend loving romantic sexy girl. And the other way around as well.

People make sex in this case. Often. As for the need of cover, Don't you like the fresh air :smallbiggrin:?

Anyway, The purple worm's got some big (scales?).

That's all the cover they'll need :smallamused:

Moff Chumley
2009-11-15, 09:56 PM
Let's look at the facts.

1) Haley is smart. She knows the rest of the Order is preoccupied and will be for a while.
2) She hasn't seen her boyfriend in months.
3) She's not attracted to the worm, she's reminded of something by it. :smallwink:
4) She and Elan have a (relatively) obscured, stable place to... be together.
5) She's bored as hell.

There's nothing abnormal about it when you think about it a little bit.

derfenrirwolv
2009-11-15, 10:10 PM
Or, since that seemed awfully highbrow to me: Just because I don't like people screwing im public doesn't mean I don't think they should like screwing!

I'm pretty sure no kids are going to walk by in the middle of the desert there.The worm is privately chartered :smallwink:

Kish
2009-11-15, 10:39 PM
No, but Jarin's post is clearly rising from his (modern-day) moral expectations, not that of the OOTS-world.
To Jarin's credit, he didn't claim authority from "society," ours or OotS's.
Not to his credit, he didn't explain his reasoning at all. :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2009-11-15, 11:03 PM
It's a brilliant tactic. If you don't provide anything to argue against, you win! :smallwink:

EDIT: 4chan, of course, being the exception.

nonamearisto
2009-11-15, 11:37 PM
The worm alone is abnormal. Heck, doing it on a BUS is abnormal... the worm is like... doing it on a living creature... And all the others have to do it to look for them in order to catch them in the act. Roy could be headed back there right now for all we know... :smalleek:

Lvl45DM!
2009-11-15, 11:41 PM
for everyone who is saying wait till the get off the worm (that came out wrong)
when they do so they will be embroiled in a life or death struggle with possibly, an epic level lich, epic level illusionist/ranger, higher level cleric, epic monster, and possibly their evil doubles!
so yeah take your oppurtunities where you get em Haley, you go girl!
elan you dont actually deserve her

Gametime
2009-11-15, 11:52 PM
Is wanting to whip into unconsciousness people who spell Haley as "Hayley" a perversion? Because I'm certainly getting a strong urge...

Raging Gene Ray
2009-11-16, 12:58 AM
Is wanting to whip into unconsciousness people who spell Haley as "Hayley" a perversion?.

Only if you get aroused in tingly ways by it. You sick, deviant, artist.

Daen
2009-11-16, 07:45 AM
Frankly, this just doesn't seem like typical Haley behavior to me. It seems far more like Nale's succubus Sabine. It's not pervy because "Haley" wants to have sex. It's not pervy that "Haley" wants to be all over the love of her life. But public sex is extremely pervy, skanky even, and very succubus-like.

Haley is crafty, smart, secretive, assertive, and "greedy" in the sense she needs to get money for her father. She's also a good leader. But skanky and pervy? No, I just don't buy it.

Remember, Haley took many strips just to be able to tell Elan she loved him, and had enough inner conflict that she screwed up her ability to speak. She had a breakthrough in trust, yes, but she was still somewhat shy and reserved about it... until fairly recently. Seems like a switcheroo took place somewhere along the line.

If it's not Sabine, I'll be really disappointed in the characterization change.

Asta Kask
2009-11-16, 08:29 AM
I don't think it's quite out in the open, since nobody knows where they are.

As for the thrill of maybe getting caught, well ... some like the spice.

The problem is that if there is too much spice the worm will go after them.

Far more worrysome is the two have removed all armor. What if there's an encounter? Remember kids, never, never, never remove your armor. Asleep? In armor. Taking a leak? In armor. Showering? In armor. It's a fundamental law of any RPG that has armor.

HotAndCold
2009-11-16, 08:32 AM
Considering that there are only six people around for miles, two of which are Elan and Haley themselves and the other four of which are both busy and some distance away, I wouldn't exactly call it public sex. Not as private as it could be, sure, but neither is sex in, say, an apartment with thin walls, and that's not exactly deviant behavior.

And considering that she has two brain sections dedicated to sex (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0303.html), I wouldn't exactly call being "pervy" out-of-character for her.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-16, 09:17 AM
public sex is extremely pervy, skanky even, and very succubus-like.
lolwut

Wiktionary: Skank: (pejorative, slang) A lewdly unattractive and disreputable person, often female, especially one with an air of tawdry promiscuity.
Haley may be lewd in this scenario. She is not unattractive, disreputable, tawdry, or promiscuous. Is Haley lewd?
Wiktionary: Lewd: Lascivious, sexually promiscuous. As earlier established, Haley having sex with a long-term partner is not promiscuous. In this scenario, Haley seems motivated in no small part by lust, qualifying for "lascivious". But still, fitting about 20% of the qualifiers doesn't mark Haley as skanky.

Wiktionary: pervy: Behaving or appearing like a sexual pervert. Looking at the definition, now, I can definitely say Haley is "pervy". Is she sexually perverted? No. But as this thread attests to, she certainly appears like one, at least to a fair amount of people.

Mordokai
2009-11-16, 09:27 AM
And considering that she has two brain sections dedicated to sex (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0303.html), I wouldn't exactly call being "pervy" out-of-character for her.

I'd argue that is a brain of your average human, not just Haley's brain. And I don't mean just in real life, but in that particular comic's case as well.

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-11-16, 11:08 AM
Hmmm...but...

Was Haley morally justified??
:smallwink:

Scarlet Knight
2009-11-16, 11:28 AM
Hmmm...but...

Was Haley morally justified??
:smallwink:

Now, now. Let's not bring moral justification into it. We ALL have our grey area continuum where "imaginative" becomes "kinky", "kinky" becomes "pervy", and "pervy" becomes " that'll cost you extra"...

rewinn
2009-11-16, 11:36 AM

She's a REDHEAD f'gosh sakes :wink::wink:

EOD

TheSummoner
2009-11-16, 11:47 AM
lolwut

Wiktionary: Skank: (pejorative, slang) A lewdly unattractive and disreputable person, often female, especially one with an air of tawdry promiscuity.
Haley may be lewd in this scenario. She is not unattractive, disreputable, tawdry, or promiscuous. Is Haley lewd?
Wiktionary: Lewd: Lascivious, sexually promiscuous. As earlier established, Haley having sex with a long-term partner is not promiscuous. In this scenario, Haley seems motivated in no small part by lust, qualifying for "lascivious". But still, fitting about 20% of the qualifiers doesn't mark Haley as skanky.

Wiktionary: pervy: Behaving or appearing like a sexual pervert. Looking at the definition, now, I can definitely say Haley is "pervy". Is she sexually perverted? No. But as this thread attests to, she certainly appears like one, at least to a fair amount of people.

Yes, because wikipedia is a valid source of information and semantics mean something. You know what he was trying to say and arguing against the way he worded it is a poor arguement.

Aaaaaaaanyways...

Far more worrysome is the two have removed all armor. What if there's an encounter? Remember kids, never, never, never remove your armor. Asleep? In armor. Taking a leak? In armor. Showering? In armor. It's a fundamental law of any RPG that has armor.

Damn... you're right. Theres always a bigger fish... what if a bigger worm attacks them?!

Asta Kask
2009-11-16, 01:06 PM
Damn... you're right. Theres always a bigger fish... what if a bigger worm attacks them?!

Although I doubt it. No more than one random encounter per trip, remember? Still, I suppose they could have sex in armor - that would be fine, of course.

Conuly
2009-11-16, 01:22 PM
Although I doubt it. No more than one random encounter per trip, remember?

But they're already on their second RE of the day!

derfenrirwolv
2009-11-16, 02:11 PM
But they're already on their second RE of the day!

3rd if you count what Haley and Elan are up to...

TheSummoner
2009-11-16, 02:13 PM
I wouldnt call that a random encounter... it wasn't planned for, but it was forseeable.

Daen
2009-11-16, 03:04 PM
lolwut

Wikipedia founder admits to serious quality problems: yes, it's garbage, but it's so much faster (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/18/wikipedia_quality_problem/)!

Try Merriam-Webster for skanky (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/skanky), and the act of sex in public could meet #1, and certainly meets #2 in my view. Your own mileage may vary, as you seem to enjoy arguing about semantics (which are often personal interpretations).

Kish
2009-11-16, 03:12 PM
Try Merriam-Webster for skanky (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/skanky), and the act of sex in public could meet #1, and certainly meets #2 in my view.
Those "definitions" amount to, "I don't like it."

Daen
2009-11-16, 03:15 PM
Those "definitions" amount to, "I don't like it."

By all means, then, write to Merriam-Webster and have it changed. Good grief, what is it with people on this board?

Asta Kask
2009-11-16, 03:28 PM
Also, it doesn't say they were going to have sex. Perhaps they were just playing doctor... eh, cleric. And the worm reminded her of helminths.

EndlessWrath
2009-11-16, 04:11 PM
Frankly. I've been avoiding on this thread because I don't wanna fuel its ridiculousness. Haley misses Elan and they are in a RELATIONSHIP. *facepalm* I don't see why its such a big deal. She wants to do physical things with her boyfriend >.>'

Sure. Its near their friends, and sure its out in the open. And sure, its not her getting her own room. Some people don't care about it. If she really was a perv she'd just start it right there in front of everyone else and wouldn't care.. or rather.. would prefer everyone saw. She had the decency to go behind some armored plates. I'm sure its not as big a deal as everyone is making it to be. ZOMG Two lovers started doing things lovers do and it wasn't in a bed :smalleek:

-Wrath

nonamearisto
2009-11-16, 04:22 PM
Daen is right... it IS pervy. Imagine if you saw two real people actually doing it on top of a big, purple-colored train. That's the same thing, more or less. :smalleek:

Dark Faun
2009-11-16, 04:25 PM
Haley actually has more self control than people give her credit for; excited as she was by the giant worm, she chose to spend some quality time with her boyfriend (away from the others, too) instead of instantly jumping the closest OotS member around her. :smallwink:

nonamearisto
2009-11-16, 04:26 PM
And that's just about all the self-control I'd ever grant her. :smallbiggrin:

TheSummoner
2009-11-16, 04:33 PM
When definitions get dragged into it, all people are doing is arguing semantics, its a poor way to counter any arguement because you know damn well what the other person is trying to say, you're merely attacking the way they chose to say it.

Kish
2009-11-16, 05:46 PM
By all means, then, write to Merriam-Webster and have it changed.

Dictionaries in general have plenty of subjective definitions. The problem arises when someone waves the definition around as if it objectively applied.

In other words, saying, "I don't approve of Haley's actions" does not gain weight from pointing to a dictionary saying that "skanky" means "repugnantly filthy or squalid" or, "of low or sleazy character," since every one of those definitions is entirely subjective (except "filthy," which is obviously not applicable here). It still equals, "I don't approve of Haley's actions, personally."

Daen
2009-11-16, 06:26 PM
Dictionaries in general have plenty of subjective definitions. The problem arises when someone waves the definition around as if it objectively applied.

In other words, saying, "I don't approve of Haley's actions" does not gain weight from pointing to a dictionary saying that "skanky" means "repugnantly filthy or squalid" or, "of low or sleazy character," since every one of those definitions is entirely subjective (except "filthy," which is obviously not applicable here). It still equals, "I don't approve of Haley's actions, personally."

Thanks ever so much for telling me what I think... or rather, what you think I think, based on your own misinterpretation.

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-16, 06:54 PM
Haley actually has more self control than people give her credit for; excited as she was by the giant worm, she chose to spend some quality time with her boyfriend (away from the others, too) instead of instantly jumping the closest OotS member around her. :smallwink:
What's even weirder is that she didn't go for the worm itself. Since Haley's words need to be taken literally (she was OBVIOUSLY talking about a genuine worm-fetish rather than, say, making a smutty little joke while she's fooling around with her boyfriend) and the worm was charmed and all, she could have easily got what she wanted right there.

Imagine if you saw two real people actually doing it on top of a big, purple-colored train.
That would be weird. I don't think I've EVER seen a big purple train.

Lvl45DM!
2009-11-16, 08:06 PM
If i saw two people doing it on a big purple train, my first thought would be why on earth the train is purple...

TheSummoner
2009-11-16, 08:06 PM
What if it was a normal colored train then?

rewinn
2009-11-16, 08:18 PM
... I suppose they could have sex in armor - that would be fine, of course.

Haley's wearing leather. Some might like that ...

... I hope Elan's not wearing maille - too much risk of scarring. How would they explain the injury to Durkon?

Manicotti
2009-11-16, 08:22 PM

I immediately thought of this when you said that. (http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2/24197/457253-deadpool_super.jpg)

Kish
2009-11-16, 08:32 PM

... I hope Elan's not wearing maille - too much risk of scarring. How would they explain the injury to Durkon?
"You don't want to know." Or possibly, "We were having sex."

BatRobin
2009-11-16, 08:55 PM
Elan has a belt, rapier hilt, shirt, jacket, and pants. And boots.

No armor...

derfenrirwolv
2009-11-16, 09:43 PM
Elan has a belt, rapier hilt, shirt, jacket, and pants. And boots.

No armor...

He said a few pages ago that it interferes with his class abilities. So no armor, and OUCH

TriForce
2009-11-16, 10:22 PM
Daen is right... it IS pervy. Imagine if you saw two real people actually doing it on top of a big, purple-colored train. That's the same thing, more or less. :smalleek:

id probably get a big grin and let them have there fun :smallsmile:

come on people, its sex, even a comic like TOOTS is flooded with decapitations and other random gore, and your making a issue about the suggestion of 2 people having sex on a unusual place? get out a bit more please :smallsmile: in case you havent noticed, 5000 times missionairy in your bedroom is BORING, loads of people like to do stuff different from the norm, and in case of no available bed on the entire freaking continent that ive seen, hiding behind some HUGE plates of a worm is preferable to in the camp, 1 meter away from all their team members yes?:smallwink:

Sewblon
2009-11-16, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that V's the worst of all of them. Elves as a species have far too much time on their hands.

But The Giant has already established that V was inattentive to Ink because V was too busy searching for ultimate arcane power. And if that was the case, why did V mind the kiss with Belkar on New years, since V apparently wasn't that interested in Ink. Wait, now that you mention it, maybe V can only find sexual pleasure in the sound of his/her own Voice, and in hurting things with magic, if that is the case V probably is the worst.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-11-16, 11:50 PM
e, why did V mind the kiss with Belkar on New years, since V apparently wasn't that interested in Ink.

Two reasons:

1) because BELKAR kissed her*
2) V didn't now she was being inattentive with Ink,she believed she was being a good mate.

Sewblon
2009-11-16, 11:54 PM
Two reasons:

1) because BELKAR kissed her*
2) V didn't now she was being inattentive with Ink,she believed she was being a good mate. If V really is the most perverted member of The Order, it was probably an open marriage, http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0611.html and Belkar has relatively good luck with women, so if V is female, like you are implying, it is actually more surprising that V didn't give in to Belkar.

nonamearisto
2009-11-17, 01:46 AM
That would be weird. I don't think I've EVER seen a big purple train.

Here's a purple train: http://k41.pbase.com/g6/78/720878/2/79734716.GR9ah1U1.jpg

And another: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/72/203734949_065891965f.jpg?v=0

And a third one: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LptNs_vZMo8/Rueo_Z6yPYI/AAAAAAAABJ8/Pd_vMpjMAf0/s400/purpletrial1.jpg

Although that last one is more of a monorail, really. :smallwink:

enigmatime
2009-11-17, 02:48 AM
Actually... more intrinsically negative. We label girls like Hayley to be "sluts" and guys who are like her to be "players"... although if Elan had mentioned a purple worm as a reason, we would have to question his... manliness. :smalleek:

Hello, he's a bard. Plus, he diid take the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity in one of the earlier strips. He did say he was curious. He didn't specify what he was curious about so it very well may have been what it feels like to be on the otherside of the, well, stick.

nonamearisto
2009-11-17, 02:49 AM
That is interesting, but irrelevant... unless he happens to be wearing the girdle right now... :smalleek:

enigmatime
2009-11-17, 03:06 AM
I think all of The Order are at least slightly perverted, except for Vaarsuvius who's sexuality shall remain forever undefined.[/QUOTE]

V is most likely female because she roomed with Haley at that inn. You know, when they were talking about orbs but the guys thought they were talking about breasts.

Scarlet Knight
2009-11-17, 10:42 AM

Well, then; that's different! Then it's " Honey, hurry over here & bring the video camera?" :smallwink:

rewinn
2009-11-17, 11:07 AM
"You don't want to know." Or possibly, "We were having sex."To Durkon, that would be redundant :smallbiggrin:

Here's a purple train: http://k41.pbase.com/g6/78/720878/2/79734716.GR9ah1U1.jpg

And another: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/72/203734949_065891965f.jpg?v=0

And a third one: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LptNs_vZMo8/Rueo_Z6yPYI/AAAAAAAABJ8/Pd_vMpjMAf0/s400/purpletrial1.jpg

Although that last one is more of a monorail, really. :smallwink:A sandworm is more of a monorail than a train anyway :smallbiggrin:

And let us not even talk about the Creature Formerly Known As Purple Train http://www.ruggedelegantliving.com/sf/a/images/Prince.Purple.Rain.gif

P.S. Is http://farm1.static.flickr.com/72/203734949_065891965f.jpg?v=0 the hind end of the Mt. Washington cog train? I hiked up that trail long ago; it was very nice but we were amused by the fact that the entire park is very much oriented toward naturalness and non-pollutingness, but the traditional train burns the most awful stinky coal; you can see a bit of it in the photo. (Ah, wikipedia says they're gradually converting to biodiesal.:smallsmile: But I digress...)

Sewblon
2009-11-17, 11:09 AM
I think all of The Order are at least slightly perverted, except for Vaarsuvius who's sexuality shall remain forever undefined.

V is most likely female because she roomed with Haley at that inn. You know, when they were talking about orbs but the guys thought they were talking about breasts.[/QUOTE] That was mostly for the sake of the orb joke, and The Giant has said before that he will never reveal the truth.

The Succubus
2009-11-17, 06:39 PM
I hasten to point out that compared with some of the stuff dreamed up by the foul denizens of the Crack Pairing Thread, Elan and Haley making love on top of a huge purple worm is tame, to say the least.

Although I am mildly pissed that we didn't think of the idea first.

nonamearisto
2009-11-17, 07:13 PM
I hasten to point out that compared with some of the stuff dreamed up by the foul denizens of the Crack Pairing Thread, Elan and Haley making love on top of a huge purple worm is tame, to say the least.

Well, unless Hayley is having a threesome WITH the worm and Elan, it isn't a pairing... come to think of it... if it involves anything other than two, it isn't really a pairing... :smallwink:

enigmatime
2009-11-17, 07:49 PM
That is interesting, but irrelevant... unless he happens to be wearing the girdle right now... :smalleek:

The way I think at that time is pretty irrelevant so most of the things I say at, like, 2:00 in the morningish should usually be disregarded.

Pilot3lite
2009-11-18, 08:56 AM

First off, compared to Crack Pairing thread I wholeheartedly agree that this is normal.Read Inkyrius part 1 for pervy haley. I still have nightmares about Belkar in hell...:smalleek:

Second my opinion is what someone said either here or in the official discussion thread of the comic.

Haley likes to have fun.... WITH HER BOYFRIEND (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0681.html)(2nd to last panel)So how exactly is that wrong or pervy?

Lastly for having no self control, let's list where they have been since reunited after being forcefully separated for a course of around 5 months I think.

Thieve's Guild for like 2 minutes before Darth V porting out.
Island waiting for Roy resurrection. (10 minutes)
Few hours alone with each other talking about Ian and Therkla.
Small Boat for I estimate a day.
Sandsedge for two hours.
According to Roy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0682.html)(first panel) in crowded caravan for a few days.
Few hours marching in desert before worm.
Getting on worm where they are now.

nonamearisto
2009-11-18, 03:17 PM
So, if a soldier is deployed in Iraq for a year, he and his girl should do it on top of a purple train when he returns? :smallbiggrin:

Kish
2009-11-18, 03:23 PM
So, if a soldier is deployed in Iraq for a year, he and his girl should do it on top of a purple train when he returns? :smallbiggrin:
I think the time they would have to spend tracking down a purple train could be put to better use.

nonamearisto
2009-11-18, 04:20 PM
Agreed. Elan and Hayley should have done it earlier... they had time on that boat on the way to the Western Continent, right?

DBJack
2009-11-18, 04:27 PM
Agreed. Elan and Hayley should have done it earlier... they had time on that boat on the way to the Western Continent, right?

That wasn't private at all. That was what appeared to be an open boat built for pure speed. This is probably going to be one of the last chances they will get for a loooooong loooooong time where there will be actual privacy and there isn't an obvious threat that will attack them when they are, erm, vulnerable. If the dungeon crawl ahead goes to plan, there won't be much time for it. What if they get seperated again? Haley is taking advantage of a situation where they have privacy and are together and the party is distracted and nothing will happen to disrupt them

Scarlet Knight
2009-11-18, 04:33 PM

At their age? Haley's been staring at that worm all day; long, purple, pulsing with a life of it's own... what was I saying? Oh, yeah, it's irrelevant if they had each other anytime before , maybe, 15 minutes ago...they'll be ready again.
:smallredface:

Mordokai
2009-11-18, 05:10 PM

Who is this... Hayley you speak of? I know of no such person.

Now, Haley, on the other side...

Sothicus
2009-11-18, 05:20 PM
I don't think anyone's mentioned this so I will: We now know what "an 18 is worth under the hood" for Elan.

If staring at a giant purple worm causes Haley to think of Elan anyway.

Oslecamo
2009-11-18, 05:24 PM
Haley is taking advantage of a situation where they have privacy and are together and the party is distracted and nothing will happen to disrupt them

Privacy? They're just a few steps away from the party whitout even a blanket in plain day!

As for nothing to disrupt them, do I need to remind it's a worm and bug infested world?

lio45
2009-11-18, 05:32 PM

The standards for the comic aren't the same as for the Crack Pairings Thread...

Boogastreehouse
2009-11-18, 05:59 PM
This "doing it on the back of a purple train"-thing is not a accurate analogy, though. That makes it sound as if they're traveling through populated areas and pulling into stations, exposed atop this gaudy and conspicuous conveyance.

True they're on the back of a giant monster, but they're also out in the absolute middle of nowhere!

What this is really comparable to is a group of friends going camping in the middle of the woods, miles from anybody else. Absolutely no one around but your friends (and Belkar). Two of the friends sneak off about fifty meters away from the camp and go at it. Sure they're taking a chance that one of their friends might happen upon them, but it's one of their friends, so who cares?

...although doing it atop a huge purple train, traveling through populated areas and pulling into stations, does sound really fun!

The Succubus
2009-11-18, 06:54 PM
The standards for the comic aren't the same as for the Crack Pairings Thread...

Indeed. We often spend hours carefully considering ways to cause lasting mental scars to hapless fools that stumble into the thread by mistake. The Giant, on the other hand, tends to be a lot nicer to his readers....

nonamearisto
2009-11-18, 07:11 PM
Suppose the purple train is traveling through rural Nevada and the next station is 200 miles away.... :smallbiggrin:

DBJack
2009-11-18, 07:26 PM
Privacy? They're just a few steps away from the party whitout even a blanket in plain day!

As for nothing to disrupt them, do I need to remind it's a worm and bug infested world?

They're under the tip of the carapace. Roy is navigating and making sure the course is accurate, Belkar is reading (and being dangled) V is concentrating on holding Belkar to keep the worm on course, Durkon can't go anywhere because he has heavy armor and he could slip, and besides he's talking with Roy and V apparently. Also, observe that Roy noticed the two were missing and did nothing. He knows what to expect and doesn't have much interest to see if his hunch is correct.

I don't think bug bandits are going to raid the giant purple worm. And the worm seems wide enough for this to be somewhat safe.

On the subject of purple trains, sounds... interesting...

Boogastreehouse
2009-11-18, 07:54 PM
Suppose the purple train is traveling through rural Nevada and the next station is 200 miles away.... :smallbiggrin:

Then it'd take about twenty minutes before I was naked on top of it, of course, partner or no!

Seriously. How often do you get the chance to be naked on top of a purple train? Outside of an event like Burning Man?

BatRobin
2009-11-18, 08:03 PM

A few steps away?

In comics, a panel without other characters in view means its a bit farther away than a foot.

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-11-18, 08:41 PM
What I wanna know is how the purple worm compares to Hinjo's junk.

Mando Knight
2009-11-18, 08:48 PM
Lots more people ride on Hinjo's junk, and he even has someone take care of it. It's not as big, though.

Asta Kask
2009-11-19, 04:39 AM

Elan can use Mass Cure Light Wounds. Unless it drains stats they should be fine.

As for privacy - that's what Bags of Holding are for. As long as you leave the bag open to let in air, you should be fine. Besides, I believe the air in a bag lasts for 30 minutes. Although there are two people, and they are doing strenuous things... say 10 minutes for the two of them.

Rad
2009-11-19, 05:27 AM
As for privacy - that's what Bags of Holding are for. As long as you leave the bag open to let in air, you should be fine. Besides, I believe the air in a bag lasts for 30 minutes. Although there are two people, and they are doing strenuous things... say 10 minutes for the two of them.

But 10 minutes is never going to be enough! :smallfrown:

Pilot3lite
2009-11-19, 09:17 AM

Haley has 8bags of holding (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0130.html) which gives them 80 minutes, depends on opinion if thats enough time.

nonamearisto
2009-11-19, 02:16 PM
But they would have to change bags every ten minutes... and what about all the other stuff in there?

Scarlet Knight
2009-11-19, 04:47 PM

Of course it is! Plenty of time! Oh, you mean you care about your partner... :smallredface:

How about a good old fashioned "rope trick"?

Asta Kask
2009-11-20, 05:52 AM

Like I said, that's only if you close the bag. If the bag is open then there's no problem. As for the stuff in there - well, that's mostly Haley's treasure, and I think its presence might even increase her ardor.

Edit: It won't work if either Elan or Haley screams when in the throes of passion, because that might bring some other people to investigate. Could be bad.

Sinewmire
2009-11-20, 11:04 AM
Meh, this is just the adventurer equivalent of the back row at the cinema. Just risky enough to give it that extra spice (no pun intended).

Now, if they were still in combat with the worm, then yes, maybe they would have problems.

Asta Kask
2009-11-20, 12:02 PM
What's the CR on a Trouser Titan?

Milandros
2009-11-20, 12:12 PM
I think half the debate is based on perceptions of the last panel or two. Some are seeing it as literally 3 or 4 feet away from the rest of the order, basically right there in front of them, if Roy looks round he'll see them. I think the rest, myself included, are assuming they found somewhere as private as possible - say halfway back down the worm.

Sex in the open air and "in public" is not the same thing. Trust me, a couple having sex in the room next door in a shared flat is a heck of a lot more "in public" than 100 ft away out of sight on a rooftop.

Besides, it's also context dependent on the group. If Roy does go to find them, he'll just go "oops" quietly, turn round with a smile and give them some space until they're done. If he really needs them it would be a polite cough and a "sorry to disturb you guys..." They have no reason to be ashamed of what they're doing; Roy in turn won't be shocked or offended. Even Durkon is unlikely to scream "but ye're nay married yet!" at them.

Of course, if they were doing this in the street outside the Azure City Primary Children's school and opposite the Azure City Young Child Orphanage, it would be different. But they're not.

Sinewmire
2009-11-20, 12:31 PM
Besides, it's also context dependent on the group. If Roy does go to find them, he'll just go "oops" quietly, turn round with a smile and give them some space until they're done. If he really needs them it would be a polite cough and a "sorry to disturb you guys..." They have no reason to be ashamed of what they're doing; Roy in turn won't be shocked or offended. Even Durkon is unlikely to scream "but ye're nay married yet!" at them.

That's assuming any of them are stupid enough to go looking.

Aaron
2009-11-20, 03:53 PM
That's assuming any of them are stupid enough to go looking.

But if they do go looking for Elan and Haley, they won't find them.

:roy: Where are you guys?

:elan: Don't worry Roy. We're both invisible! :smallwink:

nonamearisto
2009-11-20, 03:55 PM
This wouldn't be the first time Elan's been walked in on...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0159.html

Skorj
2009-11-20, 04:47 PM
Everyone whining about "sex in public" should understand that the private bedroom is a modern invention. For most of human history, many societies, including much of medieval Europe/Britain, lived in multi-family 1-room structures. "Privacy" for sex was only achieved by the rest of the community respecting your wish not to be disturbed - and you had far more privacy "in public" than in the longhouse (or cave or etc) where your whole tribe lived.

In short, for much of human history, including the time period loosly associated with D&D, "in public" was the only place you could find privacy for sex! Sex indoors meant in the same room as everyone you knew.

nonamearisto
2009-11-20, 04:58 PM
They can still wait to do it until no one else is around. Even in ancient Greece, public sex was shocking. Really.

Kish
2009-11-20, 05:56 PM
I don't believe we've seen a single multi-family one-room structure in the entire comic. We've seen palaces, inns, including one where the Order stayed in four rooms, a farm, a dungeon, a camp (with a tent where the leader went to have sex privately)...

In other words, while I usually consider references to the real medieval world inapplicable to D&D, this one's worse than most.

Milandros
2009-11-21, 05:35 PM
They can still wait to do it until no one else is around. Even in ancient Greece, public sex was shocking. Really.

But what is "no one else is around?" If a few tens of metres away out of sight doesn't count, then then next door in the inn won't. Are you suggesting it requires a separate building with nobody else in it, with doors locked and curtains closed, and a certain guarantee that nobody could hear something if they were right outside?

I almost walked in on a flatmate once - she was also my lab partner, and unknown to me had gone back to bed in the midmorning at the weekend with her boyfriend in her room in the flat we shared. I was staring at a graph from our experimental data, tapped on her door, "heard a muffled "yes?" and started to open the door - and heard a "NO!" Then went "oops," shut the door and left them to it. So it's quite fair to say that in one's own bedroom in not "in private".

What Haley and Elan is doing might be a tiny bit naughty, but on the "giggle fun" side and not the "eew, yuk" side. They're not doing it leaned up against Durkon's leg using Mr. Scruffy as a pillow.

Milandros
2009-11-21, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=Kish;7353005] (with a tent where the leader went to have sex privately)...
QUOTE]

Private? In a tent?

I suppose if you've got a Wall of Force on the door and Silence 15' Radius running.... other than that, it's not far off exhibitionism.

Dark Faun
2009-11-21, 05:42 PM
It actually wasn't in a tent. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0669.html)

Kish
2009-11-21, 08:00 PM
Roy =/=Samantha.

Iago
2009-11-21, 11:27 PM
Must be a LOT of "sluts" out there. :smallbiggrin: The idea that women want it less is largely a construct of Victorianism and political correctness... society just tells them to keep quiet about it more.

Definition: Nymphomaniac, n. A woman with the sexual mores of a man.

Not sure who invented that definition, but they were dead on.

nonamearisto
2009-11-21, 11:33 PM
Then would be define Satyriasis as a man with the sexual mores of a woman? Prior to queen Victoria, it WAS believed that women, not men, were the sex machines... heck, many cultures still believe that... although the truth is, men AND women have the same capacity for it, more or less. It depends heavily on the culture involved.

Grifthin
2009-11-22, 01:17 AM
Haley isn't particularly bothered by her own nudity. In the first coupla o strips in the first dungeon with Xykon she is looking fo traps. Her top comes undone, and she still says:"Jeez, it's only a wardrobe malunction guys." In response to Roy's dissaproval and and fear that the thieves guild will slap him with a cease and desist.

Asta Kask
2009-11-22, 06:29 AM

And Belkar would store the image up for... later.

Jarin_G
2009-11-23, 02:42 AM
I just think that she could be a more circumspect person, and isn't D&D set in the preindustrial age:smallconfused:? They have machinery and plumbing, explosives, steam power, all they're missing is electricity, they seem fairly advanced to me. . . :smallamused:

P.S I'm so not jealous of her :smallmad:

Kish
2009-11-23, 02:44 AM
D&D is set in a fantasy world which doesn't map real well to any real-world time period.

If you conveyed your disapproval to Haley, I'm sure she would give it all the consideration she feels it's worth.

Zeful
2009-11-23, 02:58 AM
If you conveyed your disapproval to Haley, I'm sure she would give it all the consideration she feels it's worth.

Meaning she'd laugh in your face and point out that the world she lives in is so dangerous, she might as well use every available opportunity she has to enjoy herself, because she might die tomorrow.

derfenrirwolv
2009-11-23, 03:25 AM
I don't believe we've seen a single multi-family one-room structure in the entire comic.

The dirt farmers certainly looked that way.

She has three fingers, one of them is technically the middle one..

delguidance
2009-11-23, 12:02 PM
from wikipedia, for something to be pervy there has to be a repulsive aspect to it. Pervy is pretty subjective that way and double standards apply. In general an atrractive woman pushing for sex isn't repulsive. Haley might be deviant, but she isn't a perv.

Kish
2009-11-23, 12:09 PM
The dirt farmers certainly looked that way.
One room? Probably. Multiple families? No.

Jarin_G
2009-11-29, 01:35 AM
... just keep telling yourself that. :smallbiggrin:

Maybe we'll start doing it on the backs of horses next...:smallwink:

So right. . . Them folks there's just strange ?_?

Liwen
2009-11-29, 02:22 AM
Time for one off my favorite quotes!

Humanity is the direct consequence off millions off years off fornication, it is no surprise we have become masters of the art, and have implemented it in every aspects and areas of our lives.

- Liwen Diamond

So yeah, I wasn't even the slightest shocked or disgusted by Haley's behavior. I am however surprised she hasn't done it more often. Or perhaps she has, but off panel.

Also, giving the light weight of self quoting myself, even though I DO know what I'm talking about, having observe humans for over 20 years of my life and also studied our history, I could perhaps provide an argument, but I won't. Instead, I invite everyone who believes Haley is a perv to make some research about 'the 34th rule of the Internet'. In find it a stunning example of just how obsessed with sex we ALL are.

Djibril
2009-11-29, 09:32 AM
Lucky Elan :smallsmile:

GolemsVoice
2009-11-29, 11:45 AM
Has this never happened to any of you? You're at a party (or in a party, as it happens) and after some time, you go looking for your frind X, and ask friend Y, hey, where's friend X? And, speaking of that, where's [his girlfriend] Z? And friend Y just answers something along the line of "I ahven't seen them quite some time", or: "They went off into the woods", etc., in the tone that suggests you're both knowing what is going on, and in knowing this decide to let them have their fun and NOT go looking for them. It's not like the Order can't add 1 and 1 when they find out that Haley and Elan are missing.

Jarin_G
2009-11-30, 07:37 AM
It's not what she wants to do with him, but WHERE she wants to do it... and what gets her aroused that is odd. :smallwink:

That was the original thought behind this topic. . . :smallwink:

Scarlet Knight
2009-11-30, 09:37 AM
Talk about pervy... from comic #692 it's obvious that Elan was willing to take a few pricks for Haley's pleasure....:smalleek:

Erts
2009-11-30, 09:47 AM
Talk about pervy... from comic #692 it's obvious that Elan was willing to take a few pricks for Haley's pleasure....:smalleek:

Whoa.... Funk, I just realized that... :smalleek:

Wait, nevermind, the joke was probably that he fought a cactus for the flower, and was pricked in the process, not what we are thinking.
(Hopefully.)

Jarin_G
2009-12-01, 02:24 AM
I'm not shure I wan't to know what your thinking :smallyuk:

The point is not that Haley is wrong or that she should change to apeal to my preference, it is that I don't agree with every aspect of her characters morality, not that that really matters. . . :smallannoyed: