PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to Japan

FinalJustice
2009-11-14, 01:11 PM
Hello fellow playgrounders,

There's a chance I go to a trip to Osaka next year, to a scientific conference, and I would very much appreciate every tip I can get about travelling to japan.

I've never been outside Brazil, but I consider my english survivable. Can you survive in japan knowing only english?

How are the prices there? Compared, say, with the US dollar.

Any cool stuff to do in Osaka?

How much is a cool Katana or Katana replica. No need to be a battle ready katana, I only intend to hang it in my bedroom. (A serviceable Katana would be nice, Y'know, since eventually there will be a zombie armageddon, but I'm looking something in the 150 dollar price range).

If I remember more questions I'll post, let's discuss. Thanks a lot =D

xPANCAKEx
2009-11-14, 01:18 PM
price wise japan is pretty expensive

as for exporting a katana/katana replica - it might be easier to pick up one IN brazil through a merchant, as i know the laws regarding exports are pretty restrictive

SDF
2009-11-14, 01:40 PM
They sell 9,000+ yen (the exchange rate when I was there in 05 was about 100 yen to 1 USD) katana replicas at the tourist temples, but I wouldn't bother it isn't in anyway authentic, other than being from Japan, and cheap as anything.

A lot less people spoke English than I had heard or expected. Lots of grunting, pointing, and broken Japanese was used on my part to get around.

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-11-14, 02:03 PM
My wife and I have just recently been to Osaka, with a mate who speaks fluent Japanese.

Do not expect people to speak English.
There are a good number of people who do, especially younger people, but don't rely on it!

The trains speak English, in that there will be bi-lingual announcements. Many of the signs (road signs, shop signs and so on) have no roman characters on them at all - but generally official signs and tourist sites will have English translations next to them.
My wife speaks a very little Japanese, and I speak only enough to get one kind of food and make sure it isn't against my religion to eat it. We found it difficult to get by without forward planning, but ultimately fun.

Get a JR train pass! The trains are amazingly good, frequent, clean and fast. You have to buy the pass BEFORE you go, and pick it up in Japan.

In Osaka, be sure to go to the Castle and its surrounding park. It's lovely, even though the castle itself is a replica - the original was destroyed by bombing in WWII, as were many of the old castles.
Himeji Castle, to the west of Osaka, is intact, and an amazing place to visit.

There are awesome temples and shrines (Buddhist and Shinto) all over the place. Kyoto's temples, and Nara's are very lovely and inspiring, and are very close to Osaka.

You may find it hard to get a katana through customs, as most nations have restrictions on shipping weapons, even assuming you put it in the airplane hold.
Our friend who came with us said that most of the katana on sale in tourist shops are not very good - but he is a keen martial artist, and uses serious weapons in his hobby.

The cost of living may be expensive to you. It's about as expensive as the UK, where I am from - which means it is more expensive than the USA.
For example: buying lunch from a noodle bar is about 500 Yen, a can of beer is about 200 Yen, a can of Coke is about 150 Yen.

FinalJustice
2009-11-14, 02:34 PM
Don't trust too much on english. Ok, I'll remember that and pickup some quick everyday japanese phrasebook. I hope it will suffice.

And food is expensive, U$ 1,5 dollar for a can of coke is bad, very bad. Here in brasil, it costs about a dollar (R$ 1,90~2,00), for comparison.

Forget the Katana. Oh well, people will mock me for coming back from japan without a kickass sword, I guess.

How about eletronics, how does the prices there compare to those in USA? Here in Brazil is a shameless ripoff, so I believe Japan prices will be better anyway, but I need to predict in order to plan my eletronic toys expenses. Hopefully I'll be able do nab a PS3. :)

SDF
2009-11-14, 02:38 PM
In shinjuku I got some awesome electronics deals. Bought a Bandai Wonderswan Crystal (for the lulz) and two games for $20 US. My friend got a PSP about a month before it came out in the US for $50 less than it normally sold. We think it might have "fallen" off a truck. :smallbiggrin:

Lolzords
2009-11-14, 04:31 PM
Ooh, I have a tip on etiquette, I heard you're not supposed to tip in restaurants because it's insulting.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-11-14, 04:32 PM
My dad went to Japan on a work trip. Apparently he stayed for a night on the foothills of Mt Fuji, but claims it doesn't exist, because he couldn't see it, there was so much fog.

TheCountAlucard
2009-11-14, 07:05 PM
I hear that Apple can't even give away the iPhone in Japan. :smallamused:

You might want to memorize your blood type, by the way. :smallbiggrin:

Good luck! :smallsmile:

FinalJustice
2009-11-14, 07:34 PM
I have it memorized... Would I regret asking why? o.O'

TheCountAlucard
2009-11-14, 07:38 PM
I have it memorized... Would I regret asking why? o.O'See for yourself. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_types_in_Japanese_culture) :smallsmile:

Winter_Wolf
2009-11-14, 08:46 PM
I lived in Japan for a year, many moons ago. The consistent thing I've noticed about there is that you get the best electronics at great prices. The thing to keep in mind though, is that they use 100V current for electronics, so keep it in mind and see if you can pick up voltage converters. You can probably cheat a 110V for a while, but I've heard that it causes overheating and wears out the items faster. Depends how attached you are to the thing you bought I guess.

Don't go to Japan to buy a katana. You won't get what you want, and you have awkward conversations with customs officials about why you have a sword besides.

But Japan is fun, Osaka is a little dirty compared to many other parts of it, but still pretty clean compared to a lot of places in other countries. *cough*Shanghai*cough* As was said, don't expect your English to save you when you need to communicate. On the plus side, you don't really have to worry about haggling price, so you can do a lot of pointing and body language.

Zincorium
2009-11-15, 12:50 PM
I'm currently based out of Yokosuka, Japan (although out to sea at the moment).

English: Most Japanese will at least try and work with you out of politeness, but there are simply some things you cannot communicate without knowing Japanese. Even using some basic phrases will help out. On the other hand, the majority of languages other than english are even less useful.

Expense: You'll pay more for stuff, but restaurants are pretty reasonable when you figure the tip isn't an additional cost. You are already paying for service, tipping would be like bribing the host. The only time I tipped (accidently) the server came out of the ramen shop to return my money. Additionally, native Japanese food and supplies are cheaper than imported equivalents, so the fact that a can of coke is 120 yen out of a vending machine may be misleading.

There are special rules for exporting swords from Japan. You *can* do it, but I'm not sure how, and you definitely cannot walk around with one. Same for knives, on that note. Don't have any sort of pocket knife or multitool on you, we've had sailors here get in serious trouble for that.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-11-15, 01:11 PM
Watch out for Godzilla and duels between Gundam (http://www.urb.com/uploads/blogs/6173/GUNDAM%20STATUE.jpg) and Taekwon V (http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/giant_robot_korea.jpg).

FinalJustice
2009-11-15, 03:22 PM
Thanks guys, those were very helpful tips. =D

Unrelated, does anyone own a Japanese Playstation 3? If yes, is this 100V issue actually an issue?

Ashtagon
2009-11-15, 03:26 PM
OK, I spent a few years there, which makes, me, if not an expert, at least a better class of idiot.

I've never been outside Brazil, but I consider my english survivable. Can you survive in japan knowing only english?

Japanese people tend to assume that all non-Japanese speak English. That said, most of their attempts to speak English are rather pathetic. As a general rule, unless you are in a tourist trap location, don't expect anyone to speak English. Most major train stations will be signposted in English and Japanese. I have seen some also signposted in Portuguese, but don't count on this.

You *might* find it possible to hook up with the Brazilian expat community, which is quite substantial (especially in the Nagoya-Hamamatsu area).

How are the prices there? Compared, say, with the US dollar.

Japan is generally quite expensive. if you shop around, you can find noodle bars and the like that'll serve you a very good meal for about 800 yen plus drinks.

Fortunately, tipping is NOT expected, and will probably lead to some confusion on their part if you try.

You can get a special tourist railcard if you get it BEFORE you leave your home country. Contact your local J embassy for specifics. Depending on how much free time you have for travel though, it might not be worthwhile.

Don't ever get in a Japanese taxi. They don't know the routes at all. Local citywide public transport is generally very good. Inter-city trains (shinkansen) is ridiculously efficient, and just as ridiculously expensive. It's probably about 13,000 yen for a trip from Osaka to Nagoya these days.

Any cool stuff to do in Osaka?

I wasn't in Osaka, couldn't say. It has a rather good reputation for nightlife, at least compared to anywhere else in Japan that isn't called Tokyo.

If public bathing is your thing, try to get to an onsen in the mountains.

Foodwise, okonomiyaki and yakiniku are probably the best things Japan has to offer.

How much is a cool Katana or Katana replica. No need to be a battle ready katana, I only intend to hang it in my bedroom. (A serviceable Katana would be nice, Y'know, since eventually there will be a zombie armageddon, but I'm looking something in the 150 dollar price range).

Don't expect to find one of these at sensible prices. You'd have better luck finding one at a sensible price in Brazil.

Dracomorph
2009-11-17, 02:16 AM
Helpful link. (http://outpostnine.com/gaijin_smash/)

This guy has lived in Japan for several years, with a bit of a cynical perspective. Advice is largely good, if a bit hypercritical.

Felixaar
2009-11-17, 04:32 AM
Cant give you any advice on travelling to Japan, but thats awesome. Hope you go and have fun.

FinalJustice
2009-11-17, 07:39 AM
Hope I can make it too. I have yet to figure out how to gather enough cash to travel to the Land of the Rising Sun.