PDA

View Full Version : Quick Simple Question [3.5]

Koury
2009-11-14, 01:51 PM
Spellgifted Trait adds one to caster lvl from a chosen school. Does this mean that a spell that does 1d6/lvl would so 2d6 at lvl one, assuming it was from the chosen school, or is that based on character lvl? I think its character lvl, but I'd like to be sure.

Thanks.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-14, 01:53 PM
Most spells do damage/other effects based on caster level. Divine Power sets your BAB to character level, a notable exception.

Sliver
2009-11-14, 01:55 PM
Those things are determined by caster level, not character level. Effects that increase your caster level will increase all variables depending on it, such as damage, duration and so on..

For simple questions you can ask here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123431) instead of opening new threads.

*looks at the ninjas*

Koury
2009-11-14, 02:01 PM
Sorry on missing that thread, not trying to clutter the forums.

So, wait, it DOES increase damage? Would a Warmage with Spellgifted (Evo), for example, cast a MM that has two missiles at lvl 2 then?

Seems really good for specialized casters like that.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-14, 02:14 PM
If you allow Spellgifted, ya...

MM requires CL 3 before the second missile comes, so no dice. Burning Hands would deal 2d4, Kelgore's Fire Bolt would do 2d6, etc.
And keep in mind that 2d6 or more is what a greatsword-lugging fellow can do all day. "Common" "wisdom" is to do battlefield control and stuff because while non-mages can do (lots of) damage, only wizards and stuff can really do mass battlefield control, illusions, buffs, etc.

Koury
2009-11-14, 02:22 PM
MM requires CL 3 before the second missile comes, so no dice.

Warmage lvl 2 = Caster lvl 2
Spellgifted Evo = +1 CL for Evo spells

So MM, an evo spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicMissile.htm), would be cast at CL 3 at lvl 2, thus producing 2 missiles, right? Where am I missing something?

Thanks again, just trying to make sure I understand before I committed to something. As for wizards wanting battlefield control, I agree for the most part. I just want my Warmage character so I can just blast things sometimes. Fun over strategy. You know, sometimes at least. :smallamused:

Sliver
2009-11-14, 02:29 PM
I think you could do better with a sorcerer focused on blasting and having energy substitution.. As I understand it, some of the better blasting spells aren't available to a warmage, and you would like to have some utility..

Starbuck_II
2009-11-14, 02:43 PM
Warmage lvl 2 = Caster lvl 2
Spellgifted Evo = +1 CL for Evo spells

So MM, an evo spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicMissile.htm), would be cast at CL 3 at lvl 2, thus producing 2 missiles, right? Where am I missing something?

He thought you meant at 1st level Warmage = caster 2. Not caster 2 (Warmage 2) + Spellgifted.
Warmage 2 with spellgifted is indeed Caster 3.

Magic missile is based on caster level so yes, 2 missiles at 3.

Koury
2009-11-14, 02:44 PM
Well, with Advanced Learning, I can pick up any 4 evo spells I wanted that were missing. That counts for something.

But still, as for my original question, I was just trying to learn if its class level or caster level that determines things like how many missiles a MM spell produces or how much damage a Burning Hands spell causes. It seems that it is indeed caster lvl. Thanks for helping me out guys.

EDIT:
He thought you meant at 1st level Warmage = caster 2. Not caster 2 (Warmage 2) + Spellgifted.
Warmage 2 with spellgifted is indeed Caster 3.

Magic missile is based on caster level so yes, 2 missiles at 3.

Ah, I see. My fault for not being clear. Thanks again :smallsmile:

sofawall
2009-11-14, 02:54 PM
Well, with Advanced Learning, I can pick up any 4 evo spells I wanted that were missing. That counts for something.

But still, as for my original question, I was just trying to learn if its class level or caster level that determines things like how many missiles a MM spell produces or how much damage a Burning Hands spell causes. It seems that it is indeed caster lvl. Thanks for helping me out guys.

EDIT:

Ah, I see. My fault for not being clear. Thanks again :smallsmile:

Some of the best damage dealing spells are non-evocation.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-14, 04:12 PM
Or non-warmage. Wings of Flurry, Maw of Chaos, Ice Lance, these are all better than the majority of blasting spells.