PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Turning PCs Into Monsters

Hashmir
2009-11-14, 02:27 PM
So, I'm about to start DMing the Escape from Sembia module with my girlfriend. The module is pretty much just practice, because I want everything to go smoothly when we start the real campaign, into which we've put a lot of time and energy on the campaign and character creations, respectively.

Even if it's practice, though, I want to her a reason to give half a damn about the the party and the events, even if they're only around for 5 encounters. So, I've decided that the events of this adventure are going to have consequences in the "real" game's world (they're already both in Forgotten Realms). One of the things I was considering was eventually having the new party eventually encounter and fight the Escape from Sembia party.

However, I very much doubt that PCs make for good enemies as they are -- there's a reason monsters don't have "dailies." So, my question is this:

How should I go about turning these PCs into monsters? Should I try to find some monsters of the same races and approximate roles, and perhaps slap a class template on them (adjusting for the fact that they're now all elites)? Is there some accepted method for turning PCs into monsters directly? Should I just make some monsters from scratch and give them similar abilities?

Artanis
2009-11-14, 02:31 PM
There's rules in the DMG for making PC-like NPCs.

Eorran
2009-11-14, 02:38 PM
To elaborate:
The DMG pg 187-188 gives a how-to for making NPC "monsters". Basically, they'll have about 4 powers (1 at-will, 1-2 encounter, 1 daily, 1 utility), more HP than the average PC, and perhaps 1 healing surge. Make them elite monsters of their level, pick their most frequently-used or signature powers, and there you go.

The rules also show what their defenses shouldd be, without going into the details of all their gear.
Monsters can have dailies - but usually, there's no point in giving it to them, because the DM's not going to track what monsters have a daily available unless there's a reason.

Hashmir
2009-11-14, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I saw. Although it seems to me that the section is generally assuming you aren't fighting the NPCs, but that they're mostly personalities or allies (in contrast to the section for creating monsters). Hence the utility and daily spells. I don't know; I'm entirely new to this -- am I wrong?

EDIT:

Monsters can have dailies - but usually, there's no point in giving it to them, because the DM's not going to track what monsters have a daily available unless there's a reason.

Yeah, I was thinking that fighting a party with encounters and dailies wouldn't be quite as balanced as fighting a party using the usual encounter/recharge powers. I guess it might not matter, but I'm afraid of the enemy party going nova and destroying everything. Of course, it could just balance out if I make sure the real party can nova too...