PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] A different lycanthrope template. [P.E.A.C.H]

zagan
2009-11-14, 02:31 PM
I really like the idea of playing a lycanthrope, but I don't like the existing template.
Currently it's more two creature fused together than one creature able to change form.

So here's my attemp at a new lycanthrope template, most of the text is taken directly from the SRD I just change what I didn't like.

Lycanthrope

Lycanthropes are humanoids, monstrous humanoid, fey, dragon, animal, magical beast or giants who can transform themselves into animals. In its natural form, a lycanthrope looks like any other members of its kind, though natural lycanthropes and those who have been afflicted for a long time tend to have or acquire features reminiscent of their animal forms. In animal form, a lycanthrope resembles a powerful version of the normal animal, but on close inspection, its eyes show a faint spark of unnatural intelligence.
Lycanthropy can be spread like a disease. Sometimes a lycanthrope begins life as a normal creature of his kind who subsequently contracts lycanthropy after being wounded by a lycanthrope. Such a creature is called an afflicted lycanthrope. Other lycanthropes are born as lycanthropes, and are known as natural lycanthropes.

Combat
A lycanthrope in its natural form uses whatever tactics and weapons are favored by others of its kind, though it tends to be slightly more aggressive. A has a deep empathy for (and ability to communicate with) animals of its animal form.
A lycanthrope in animal form fights like the animal it resembles, although its bite or claw can carries the disease of lycanthropy. It is preternaturally cunning and strong, and possesses damage reduction that is overcome only by silvered weapons.
Finally, a natural lycanthrope (or an afflicted lycanthrope that has become aware of its affliction) can assume a hybrid form that is a mix of its humanoid and animal forms. A hybrid has hands and can use weapons, but it can also attack with the natural weapon of his animal form. A hybrid can spread lycanthropy with its natural attack, and it has the same damage reduction that its animal form possesses.

Creating a Lycanthrope
“Lycanthrope” is a template that can be added to any humanoids, monstrous humanoid, fey, dragon, animal, magical beast or giants (referred to hereafter as the base creature). The lycanthrope template can be inherited (for natural lycanthropes) or acquired (for afflicted lycanthropes).

Size and Type: The base creature’s type does not change, but the creature gains the shapechanger subtype. The lycanthrope takes on the characteristics of some type of carnivorous or omnivorous creature of the animal type (referred to hereafter as the base animal).
This animal can be any predator, scavenger, or omnivore whose size is no greatear than one size category larger of the base creature’s size (Diminutive, Tiny, Small, Medium, or Large for a Medium base creature). Lycanthropes can also adopt a hybrid shape that combines features of the base creature and the base animal. A lycanthrope’s hybrid form size depend on the size of the base animal and the base creature see the table below:

{table=head]Animal size|
Diminutive|
Tiny|
Small|
Medium|
Large|
Huge|
Gargantuan|
Colossal

Base creature size|||||

Diminutive|
Diminutive|
Tiny|
x|
x|
x|
x|
x|
x|

Tiny|
Tiny|
Tiny|
Small|
x|
x|
x|
x|
x|
x|

Small|
Tiny|
Small|
Small|
Medium|
x|
x|
x|
x|

Medium|
Small|Small|
Medium|
Medium|
Large|
x|
x|
x|

Large|
Small|
Medium|
Medium|
Large|
Large|
Huge|
x|
x|

Huge|
Medium|
Medium|
Large|Large|
Huge|
Huge|
Gargantuan|
x|

Gargantuan|
Medium|
Large|
Large|
Huge|
Huge|Gargantuan|
Gargantuan|
Colossal|

Colossal|
Large|
Large|
Huge|
Huge|
Gargantuan|
Gargantuan|
Colossal|
Colossal

[/table]

Hit Dice and Hit Points: The number of hit dice is the same as the base creature no matter the form. To calculate total hit points, apply Consitution modifiers according to the score the lycanthrope has in each form.

Speed: Same as the base creature or base animal, depending on which form the lycanthrope is using. Hybrids form use the base creature’s speed plus a 10ft bonus to his land speed for every 20ft the base animal speed his greater than the base creature speed.
For example a Human Werechettah would have a base land speed of 30ft in human form, 50ft in animal form and 40ft in hybrid form.
If the base animal posses a burrow, climb, swim or fly speed the hybrid from also as it but at half the speed minimum 10ft (or the animal speed if it’s lower) if it’s a fly speed the hybrid form maneuvrability is decrease by one step.

Armor Class: In hybrid form, the lycanthrope’s natural armor bonus is equal to the natural armor bonus of the base animal or the base creature, whichever is better. In animal form use the animal normal natural armor bonus.

Base Attack/Grapple: Same as the base creature. The lycanthrope’s grapple bonus uses its attack bonus and modifiers for Strength and size depending on the lycanthrope’s form.

Attacks: Same as the base creature or base animal, depending on which form the lycanthrope is using. Modified by the Strength modifier (or Dexterity) of the form.

Damage: Same as the base creature in normal form. Same as base animal in animal form. A lycanthrope in hybrid form gains the natural weapons of the animal form.
These weapons deal damage based on the hybrid form’s size. A hybrid may either use a weapon and his natural weapon as secondary (if able you can’t use claw attack if wielding a handheld weapon) or use the natural weapon of his animal form primary and secondary are the same as the animal form.
If the base creature already as natural weapon they keep those if the animal don’t have them and the damage is adjusted as normal for changing size category if necessery. If the base creature and base animal have natural weapon in common they have them in all form with their damage adjusted depending on size as show on the table below:

{table=head]
Size|
Claw or Sting|
Bite|
Slam or Tentacle|
Gore or Tail|Hoof|
Wing

Diminutive|
1|
1d2|
1|
1|
1d2|
-

Tiny|
1d2|
1d3|
1|
1d2|
1d3|

Small|
1d3|
1d4|
1d3|
1d4|
1d4|
1d2

Medium|
1d6|
1d4|
1d4|
1d6|
1d6|
1d3

Large|
1d6|
1d8|
1d6|
1d8|
1d8|
1d4

Huge|
1d8|
2d6|
1d8|
2d6|
2d6|
1d6

Gargantuan|
2d6|
2d8|
2d6|
2d8|
2d8|
1d8

Colossal|
2d8|
4d6|
2d8|
4d6|
4d6|
2d6
[/table]

Special Attacks: A lycanthrope retains the special attacks of the base creature or base animal, depending on which form it is using, and also gains the special attacks described below.
A lycanthrope’s hybrid form gain any special attacks of the base animal. A lycanthrope spellcaster cannot cast spells with verbal, somatic, or material components while in animal form, or spells with verbal components while in hybrid form.

-Curse of Lycanthropy (Su): As a free action the base creature when in animal form or hybrid form may declare her next attack with a natural weapon to be cursed. Any creature to wich this template can be applied hit by this attack must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or contract lycanthropy. If the victim’s size is more than one size category smaller than the lycanthrope the victim cannot contract lycanthropy from that lycanthrope. Afflicted lycanthropes cannot pass on the curse of lycanthropy.

Special Qualities: A lycanthrope retains all the special qualities of the base creature when in this form, retain those of the base animal when in this form and get both in hybrid form. He and also gains those described below.

-Alternate Form (Su): A lycanthrope can assume the form of a specific animal (as indicated in its entry) or an hybrid form. It does not assume the ability scores of the animal, but instead adds the animal’s physical ability score modifiers to its own ability scores in both case. The hybrid form posses the general shape of the base creature (including prehensile hand if any, wing, tail, etc...) with animalistic features.
Changing to or from animal or hybrid form is a standard action that provoque attack of opportunity.
A slain lycanthrope reverts to its base form, although it remains dead. Separated body parts retain their animal form, however.
Afflicted lycanthropes must first become aware of their lycanthropy before gaining conscious acces of this ability (see Lycanthropy as an Affliction, below), but natural lycanthropes can always do so.

-Damage Reduction (Ex): A lycanthrope in animal or hybrid form has damage reduction 5/silver.

-Lycanthropic Empathy (Ex): In any form, lycanthropes can communicate and empathize with normal or dire animals of their animal form. This gives them a +4 racial bonus on checks when influencing the animal’s attitude and allows the communication of simple concepts and (if the animal is friendly) commands, such as “friend,” “foe,” “flee,” and “attack.”

-Low-Light Vision (Ex): A lycanthrope has low-light vision in any form.

-Scent (Ex): If the base animal as the scent ability a lycanthrope has it in any form.

Base Save Bonuses: Same as base creature modified by the ability modifier of the different form.

Abilities: When in animal form, a lycanthrope’s physical ability scores improve according to its kind, see example in the table below. These adjustments are equal to the animal’s normal ability scores –10 or –11. A lycanthrope in hybrid form modifies its physical ability scores by the same amount.

Skills: Any skill given in the animal’s description is always a class skill. for the lycanthrope. If the base creature posses racial bonus to skill he has them in base form and hybrid form. If the base animal posses racial bonus to skill the lycanthrope has them in animal form and hybrid form.

Feats: The lycanthrope doesn’t gain any of the feat of his animal form but he automatiquely qualify for them even if he doesn't met the prerequisite.
A lycanthrope receives Iron Will as a bonus feat.

Environment: Same as either the base creature or base animal.

Organization: Solitary or pair, sometimes family (3–4), pack (6–10), or troupe (family plus related animals)

Challenge Rating: Same as base creature +2

Treasure: Standard.

Alignment: Any.

Advancement: Same as base creature.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +3. (But may change depending on specific animal as decid by the DM)

Common Lycanthropes:
{table=head]
Name|
Animal form|
Animal or Hybrid form Ability modifier

Werebear|
Brown Bear|
Str +16, Dex +2, Con +8

Wereboar|
Boar|
Str +4, Con +6

Were Rat|
Dire Rat|
Dex +6, Con +2

Weretiger|
Tiger|
Str +12, Dex +4, Con +6

Werewolf|
Wolf|
Str +2, Dex +4, Con +4

Dire Wereboar|
Dire Boar|
Str +16, Con +6

[/table]

Lycanthropy as an Affliction
When a character contracts lycanthropy through a lycanthrope’s bite (see above), no symptoms appear until the first night of the next full moon. On that night, the afflicted character involuntarily assumes animal form and forgets his or her own identity, temporarily becoming an NPC. The character remains in animal form, becoming True neutral, until the next dawn.
The character’s actions during this first episode are dictated by the instinct of its animal form, geerally hunting or hiding. The character remembers nothing about the entire episode (or subsequent episodes) unless he succeeds on a DC 15 Wisdom check, in which case he becomes aware of his lycanthropic condition.
Thereafter, the character is subject to involuntary transformation under the full moon. Any player character not yet aware of his or her lycanthropic condition temporarily becomes an NPC during an involuntary change, and acts according to the instinc of his or her animal form.
A character with awareness of his condition retains his identity and does not lose control of his actions if he changes.
Once a character becomes aware of his affliction, he can now voluntarily change to animal or hybrid form, doing so is a standard action that provoque attack of opportunity.

On occasion upon becoming aware of his lycantropy some character are traumatize and undergone a profound change in personality generally for the worse but sometimes for the better. Roll twice on the table below to determine the new alignement:

{table=head]
%|
Chaos-Law|X|
%|
Good-Evil

1-25|L|X|1-24|G

26-60|N|X|25-59|N

61-99|C|X|60-99|E

100|Your choice|X|100|Your choice

[/table]

*Note: It his assume that player character have the mental fortitude to keep their own alignement.

Changing Form
A character automatiquely change shape under the full moon and remain in that form until the next dawn. A character aware of his condition (see above) can assume hybrid form but not his base form under the full moon.

Curing Lycanthropy
An afflicted character who eats a sprig of belladonna (also called wolfsbane) within 1 hour of a lycanthrope’s attack can attempt a DC 20 Fortitude save to shake off the affliction. If a healer administers the herb, use the character’s save bonus or the healer’s Heal modifier, whichever is higher. The character gets only one chance, no matter how much belladonna is consumed. The belladonna must be reasonably fresh (picked within the last week).
However, fresh or not, belladonna is toxic. The character must succeed on a DC 13 Fortitude save or take 1d6 points of Strength damage. One minute later, the character must succeed on a second DC 13 save or take an additional 2d6 points of Strength damage.
A remove disease or heal spell cast by a cleric of 12th level or higher also cures the affliction, provided the character receives the spell within three days of the lycanthrope’s attack.
The only other way to remove the affliction is to cast remove curse or break enchantment on the character during one of the three days of the full moon. After receiving the spell, the character must succeed on a DC 20 Will save to break the curse (the caster knows if the spell works). If the save fails, the process must be repeated.
Characters undergoing this cure are often kept bound or confined in cages until the cure takes effect.
Only afflicted lycanthropes can be cured of lycanthropy.

Special note: This template could also be use to instead change into a vermin instead of an animal.

I change a number of thing:
-First its not restrict to humanoid and giant anymore, a Dragon Werewolf could be awesome.

-Second I change the size restriction, it still can't be a creature more than one size category larger but it can be smaller. I'm not sure about that I might remove size restriction entirely.

-Third I remove the hit dice from the animal, it's uneccesery and make lycanthrope nearly impossible to play in a normal game.

-Fourth I discarded the control shape skill, it only forced affliced lycanthrope to spent precious skill point. If really need concentration can be use.

-Fifth now any natural attack can inflict the curse but it's a choice made by the lycanthrope.

-Sixth the normal form don't gain DR only low-light vision and scent if the animal had it.

-Seventh I also got ride of the difference betwen afflicted and natural now it's just fluff.

I would particulary like your opinion on CR, LA and the size restriction.
Any help will be appreciate, thanks in advance.

DracoDei
2009-11-14, 02:48 PM
To out of it to comment probably, so I shall simply post some links for cross reference purposes and for you to use in creating your own take on the problem.

Something based mostly on the lycanthropes in Pratchett (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89092) by Norr.

Simpler to use Therianthropes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89050) by Lyndworm.

Wereworld (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88923)(Mostly about setting, but some tweaks to the templates and recommends changing the alignments of some of the therianthropes to give more variety for each alignment) by myself.

Also, in regards to Wereworld: I happen to LIKE "Always Chaotic Evil".

zagan
2009-11-14, 03:31 PM
To out of it to comment probably, so I shall simply post some links for cross reference purposes and for you to use in creating your own take on the problem.

Something based mostly on the lycanthropes in Pratchett (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89092) by Norr.

Simpler to use Therianthropes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89050) by Lyndworm.

Wereworld (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88923)(Mostly about setting, but some tweaks to the templates and recommends changing the alignments of some of the therianthropes to give more variety for each alignment) by myself.

Also, in regards to Wereworld: I happen to LIKE "Always Chaotic Evil".

Thanks for the link, I remember reading these thread but I didn't compare when creating mine to avoid influence.
But when comparing now I can see that I was probably influence.:smallsmile:

I'm sorry to disagree on the alignement change, it was one of the biggest beaf I had with the original template. But I don't really like the alignement systeme in the first place.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-11-14, 04:22 PM
I'm sorry to disagree on the alignement change, it was one of the biggest beaf I had with the original template. But I don't really like the alignement systeme in the first place.

Well, one of the common uses of the werewolf is to turn a good NPC to chaotic evil to justify plot stuff, so keeping some alignment change in there might be a good thing. Something like "X% of natural lycanthropes and Y% of afflicted lycanthropes have the traditional alignment of the corresponding animal form; others may be of any alignment" would let PC lycanthropes be of any alignment while still leaving room for the drastic once-a-month alignment change plotline.

DracoDei
2009-11-14, 04:40 PM
I will happily agree to disagree about alignment stuff, it is actually just that it bugged me that I never made a reply to the last post on the wereworld thread ever since I let it slip into the necro-zone.

You have a bunch of spelling and grammar problems BTW, including "Brow Bear" in one of the tables.

zagan
2009-11-14, 05:05 PM
Well, one of the common uses of the werewolf is to turn a good NPC to chaotic evil to justify plot stuff, so keeping some alignment change in there might be a good thing. Something like "X% of natural lycanthropes and Y% of afflicted lycanthropes have the traditional alignment of the corresponding animal form; others may be of any alignment" would let PC lycanthropes be of any alignment while still leaving room for the drastic once-a-month alignment change plotline.

Yeah, I just realise that I leave a part out, I've correct that and add the paragraphe Lycantropry as an affliction.

Your idea as merit how about something like that:
On occasion upon becoming aware of his lycantropy some character are traumatize and undergone a profound change in personality generally for the worse but sometimes for the better. Roll twice on the table below to determine the new alignement:

{table=head]
%|
Chaos-Law|X|
%|
Good-Evil|
1-25|L|X|1-24|G
26-60|N|X|25-59|N
61-99|C|X|60-99|E
100|Your choice|X|100|Your choice[/table]

*Note: It his assume that player character have the mental fortitude to keep their own alignement.

As you can see a character as more chance to be chaotic or evil in the table but that seem logical.
That way we can have evil werebear and good werewolf.

I will happily agree to disagree about alignment stuff, it is actually just that it bugged me that I never made a reply to the last post on the wereworld thread ever since I let it slip into the necro-zone.

You have a bunch of spelling and grammar problems BTW, including "Brow Bear" in one of the tables.

Yes I'm sorry about my grammar English isn't my native language and I often make mistake. I've corrected Brown bear.

DracoDei
2009-11-14, 05:16 PM
Yes I'm sorry about my grammar English isn't my native language and I often make mistake.
Yeah, I figured that might be it. I will try to call out some more mistakes at some point so you can fix them but such things are not really my forte.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-11-14, 05:30 PM
Your idea as merit how about something like that:

{table=head]
%|
Chaos-Law|X|
%|
Good-Evil|
1-25|L|X|1-24|G
26-60|N|X|25-59|N
61-99|C|X|60-99|E
100|Your choice|X|100|Your choice[/table]

As you can see a character as more chance to be chaotic or evil in the table but that seem logical.
That way we can have evil werebear and good werewolf.

Looks good to me.

zagan
2009-11-15, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I figured that might be it. I will try to call out some more mistakes at some point so you can fix them but such things are not really my forte.

I would be gratefull for any help your willing to provide.

Looks good to me.

I will add it then.

Question 1: What are your though on the CR and LA I assign ?

Question 2: Should I remove the restriction on size ?

Solaris
2009-11-15, 04:11 PM
Why not a Will save to avoid alignment change during animal form, and no alignment changes outside of animal form?

zagan
2009-11-15, 04:19 PM
Why not a Will save to avoid alignment change during animal form, and no alignment changes outside of animal form?

That I can explain !
First I don't want to impose on an animal an alignement, I don't see why a wolf is evil and a bear is not.
Second with the original template and with what you are proposing it look like two creature sharing a body while I want one creature able to change shape. The animal instinct may influence it, for the first few transformation for example. But after that the creature become aware and can keep control of itself.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-11-15, 04:44 PM
Question 1: What are your though on the CR and LA I assign ?

They look fairly accurate; just the fact that you don't gain any racial HD is a huge improvement over the original.

I wouldn't remove the restriction; changing from Small to Colossal and back or something similar can be problematic from the stat-changing perspective, and most animals are Large or smaller anyway.

zagan
2009-11-15, 05:15 PM
Question 1: What are your though on the CR and LA I assign

They look fairly accurate; just the fact that you don't gain any racial HD is a huge improvement over the original.

Ok thanks for the confirmation.

I wouldn't remove the restriction; changing from Small to Colossal and back or something similar can be problematic from the stat-changing perspective, and most animals are Large or smaller anyway.

Yeah, for player character that are generally small or medium the change won't be too big. And it can still be applied to really big creature, mostly for interesting encounter like a Red dragon werewolf.:smallcool: