PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Warlock question

Pelfaid
2009-11-14, 03:29 PM
Ok, I am building my first warlock and have run into a problem with invocations. If I am a warlock5/wild mage10, how many invocations do I know? Looking at some of the guides out there it seems like I would only know 3 but the following sentence from pg 18 of CArc seems to suggest 9: "A warlock also gains new invocations known at those prestige class levels as though he had gained a level in the warlock class."

So which is it or is it some other number? Also is my caster level for eldritch blast CL 15, some ambiguity in that same paragraph about that?

KillianHawkeye
2009-11-14, 03:35 PM
You have invocations and caster level of a 15th level Warlock. So 9 invocations at CL 15.

Pelfaid
2009-11-14, 03:44 PM
Thanks, that's what I was thinking but wanted to be sure.

root9125
2009-11-14, 03:47 PM
You probably know this already, but what you HAVEN'T got is the decently large Eldritch Blast of a Warlock 15. 3d6 damage per, at lvl 15.

Just making sure you know.

Was wrong.

HCL
2009-11-14, 04:21 PM
Eldritch blast is an invocation too, so casting advancing classes should advance it as well. You won't get the other perks like making items via umd

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-11-14, 04:29 PM
Eldritch blast is an invocation too, so casting advancing classes should advance it as well. You won't get the other perks like making items via umd

It is specifically noted in the PrC section of Complete Arcane that classes advancing arcane casting or invocations also advance eldritch blast:

A warlock taking levels in such a prestige class does not gain any of his class abilities, but he does gain an increased caster level when using his invocations and increased damage with his eldritch blast. Levels of prestige classes that provide +1 level of spellcasting effectively stack with the warlock’s level to determine his eldritch blast damage (treat his combined caster level as his warlock class level when looking at Table 1–1: The Warlock to determine eldritch blast damage) and his eldritch blast caster level (half his total caster level from his warlock levels and his levels in the prestige class that grant him an increased spellcasting level). A warlock also gains new invocations known at these prestige class levels as though he had gained a level in the warlock class.

root9125
2009-11-14, 04:32 PM
Eldritch Blast, I think, is a special case, and the damage increase happens over time as though by a class feature (like a rogue's Sneak Attack). From Complete Arcane:

"The first ability a warlock learns is Eldritch Blast... An eldritch blast does 1d6 points of damage at first level and increases as the warlock increases in level..." Emphasis mine.

Seems like the increase is a class feature. Not that I know 100%.

Thanks, Dice. Guess I got confused.

gorfnab
2009-11-14, 04:33 PM
You probably know this already, but what you HAVEN'T got is the decently large Eldritch Blast of a Warlock 15. 3d6 damage per, at lvl 15.

Just making sure you know.

I don't think that's fully correct.

Complete Arcane Page 18
Warlocks benefit in a specific way from prestige class that have "+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class" or "+1 level of existing spellcasting class" as a level advancement benefit. A Warlock taking levels in such a prestige class does not gain any of his class abilities, but he does gain an increased caster level when using his invocations and increased damage with his eldritch blast. Levels of prestige classes that provide +1 level of spellcasting effectively stack with the warlock's level to determine his eldritch blast damage (treat his combined caster level as his warlock class level when looking at Table 1-1: The Warlock to determine eldritch blast damage) and his eldritch blast caster level (half his total caster level from his warlock levels and his levels in the prestige class that grant him an increased spellcasting level). A warlock also gains new invocations known at these prestige class levels as though he had gained a level in the warlock class.

Since Wild Mage is a "+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class" his eldritch blast would increase as such, so 7d6 with his build.

Dhavaer
2009-11-14, 06:24 PM
Would Practised Spellcaster have an effect on Eldritch Blast, or any other level dependant invocation effects?

Keld Denar
2009-11-14, 09:21 PM
No. The only affect PS would have for a warlock would be when determining duration of certain invocations, the CL checked when dispelling an invocation, and the warlock's ability to overcome SR.

EB damage is a function of a warlock's spellcasting level, not caster level.

sofawall
2009-11-14, 09:24 PM
Would Practised Spellcaster have an effect on Eldritch Blast, or any other level dependant invocation effects?

Technically no. Eldritch Blast dice are like spell levels, you need class levels, not caster levels.

EDIT: Delicious monstrous ninja.

Gametime
2009-11-15, 07:55 PM
No. The only affect PS would have for a warlock would be when determining duration of certain invocations, the CL checked when dispelling an invocation, and the warlock's ability to overcome SR.

EB damage is a function of a warlock's spellcasting level, not caster level.

I sometimes wonder if WotC ever kicked themselves upon realizing that what they called "caster level" has no impact upon the level at which you cast.

Really, it's the most annoyingly misleading term in the books.