PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect problems

lobablob
2009-11-14, 07:35 PM
Just downloaded it on steam, but every time I try to load it up, it just crashes. I've been looking for advice, but they keep giving the same advice that doesn't work, mostly about running it running it as an administrator. I get the impression that neither bioware nor steam could care less about helping customers once they've got their money, so I was wondering if anyone here had any advice?

warty goblin
2009-11-14, 07:36 PM
What are your computer's specs?

And update your drivers.

lobablob
2009-11-15, 06:02 AM
I'm using windows vista (Although I may soon update to windows 7). My computer has 4 gigabytes of ram, dual core processor 2 ghz each.

I've tried updating my drivers, but I cannot find the appropriate ones, nvidia's website tells me my video card is a Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, and that as I'm using a laptop, I have to get the driver's from the manufacturers website, but I've had no luck with that.

Triaxx
2009-11-15, 10:00 AM
It seems that the problem is the computer and not having a video card capable of running the game.

Philistine
2009-11-15, 10:36 AM
It seems that the problem is the computer and not having a video card capable of running the game.

+1. Despite more-than-adequate CPU horsepower and RAM, you won't be able to play ME (or a great many other games released in the past... oh... decade) without a real graphics card - which you do not have.

lobablob
2009-11-15, 10:57 AM
+1. Despite more-than-adequate CPU horsepower and RAM, you won't be able to play ME (or a great many other games released in the past... oh... decade) without a real graphics card - which you do not have.

The past decade? Really?

Was dragon age released in the past decade? Because I can play that.

warty goblin
2009-11-15, 11:00 AM
The past decade? Really?

Was dragon age released in the past decade? Because I can play that.

It was released in the last decade yes. Its graphics engine...barely.

Erloas
2009-11-15, 11:57 AM
Well seeing as how you have Intel graphics you should go to Intel's site to find drivers for it. While not great, the 4500 series integrated graphics should play the game, how well is another question.

I'm assuming you get the first splash screen up, that should have a configure button that will bring up a configuration utility. That will give you information about your system as well as letting you change the game settings without loading the game itself. Adjust the resolution down, turn off or lower settings. Once you get the game to actually load then you can see about adjusting settings to where they give you a decent balance of visuals vs gameplay.

One other thing to check is sound, make sure those drivers are updated as well. I've seen quite a few games recently where it was sound drivers causing crashs because everyone just assumed it was always the video card and didn't look there. It has the option of hardware vs software sound, so if one doesn't work then try the other.

edit: Also make sure you have the newest updates to the game installed. I believe Steam should do that automatically, but you should make sure. I think the newest version is 1.02, the aformentioned configuration utility will tell you what version of the game is installed.

The_JJ
2009-11-15, 12:57 PM
I had the same problem, it was an access thing. I had to sign on as an admin and allow the program, something like that.

May be cheaper than an upgrade.

lobablob
2009-11-15, 02:35 PM
I've tried finding drivers but I've had no luck. Each site I go to tells me that I have to get the drivers from the computer's manufacturer (Dell) but when I go to their website there doesn't seem to be any comprehensible way of finding what I want. I tried downloading some things that could be what I want, but its not actually possible to download from the site. You are supposedly given a choice between their download managers and downloading it normally, but they won't actually let you download it normally. The way in which to download normally is explained on the website, but in practice I wasn't actually given the options. I queued up some downloads on their website and downloading the manager, but when I opened it up it refused to acknowledge the downloads and then closed straight away without letting me try to sort it out. So I'm kind of stuck. I will try to look for sound card drivers.

Ok, I just tried looking for sound card drivers, but it seems I'm up to date. Tried setting everything to the lowest settings, that doesn't work either.