PDA

View Full Version : OGL Questions and Post Reordering

TabletopNuke
2009-11-14, 08:55 PM
Are we allowed to post material adapted from non-OGL (Open Gaming License) sources? For example, a class that has been adapted from a non-OGL book (converted from magic to psionics, new skills set, new prerequisites, new fluff).

Also, are the sourcebook excerpts that have been posted on the Wizards site and made available for download considered OGL?

I have one last question. Is it possible to split posts? Say I wanted to divide the first post in a thread, and add the second part directly beneath the first. Can I do this when there is already more than one post?

Thank you.

Roland St. Jude
2009-11-14, 10:13 PM
Are we allowed to post material adapted from non-OGL (Open Gaming License) sources? For example, a class that has been adapted from a non-OGL book (converted from magic to psionics, new skills set, new prerequisites, new fluff).

Yes, as long as you aren't posting the non-OGL material itself, but only your adaptation.

Also, are the sourcebook excerpts that have been posted on the Wizards site and made available for download considered OGL?

Well, it's only OGL/OGC if Wizards marked it as such, but if it's publicly available and posted on the WotC site (such as the class previews often were), then it's fine to link to our post here.

I have one last question. Is it possible to split posts? Say I wanted to divide the first post in a thread, and add the second part directly beneath the first. Can I do this when there is already more than one post?

No. You can edit your first post (up to the character limit, of course), though.

Thank you.

You're welcome.

Fax Celestis
2009-11-14, 11:53 PM
Are we allowed to post material adapted from non-OGL (Open Gaming License) sources? For example, a class that has been adapted from a non-OGL book (converted from magic to psionics, new skills set, new prerequisites, new fluff).Psi is OGL.

Also, are the sourcebook excerpts that have been posted on the Wizards site and made available for download considered OGL?They're not OGL, they're Fair Use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use). The difference is, you can't make money off of Fair Use adaptations, but you can make money off of OGL adaptations.

Roland St. Jude
2009-11-15, 12:07 AM
Psi is OGL.

They're not OGL, they're Fair Use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use). The difference is, you can't make money off of Fair Use adaptations, but you can make money off of OGL adaptations.

Now we've moved from board rules into legal advice (which is plainly incorrect - one may make money off a fair use.)