PDA

View Full Version : Is there a doctor in the house?

Anuan
2009-11-14, 08:56 PM
I know, I know, seek actual medical attention.
Am going to the GP first thing in the mornin', folks.

Anyway. The right corner of my right eye has started to swell and is painful. It's hurt a wee bit over the past few days at various intervals. At first I thought I was getting a pimple there or similar (I think I see/saw a small dot on the upper lid) but now the far right of the upper lid is slightly swollen and the area's a little sore to touch.

Any ideas?

DraPrime
2009-11-14, 08:59 PM

Anyway. The right corner of my right eye has started to swell and is painful. It's hurt a wee bit over the past few days at various intervals. At first I thought I was getting a pimple there or similar (I think I see/saw a small dot on the upper lid) but now the far right of the upper lid is slightly swollen and the area's a little sore to touch.

Any ideas?

I once had something similar about years ago. It hurt a lot. Seriously, A LOT. In the end it became to painful so I had to go to the doctor, who said it was some sort of infection. I got eye drops, and got better. So, go see a doctor. You'll probably get the same thing, and the same relief.

SurlySeraph
2009-11-14, 09:03 PM
Most likely some kind of infection - though note that pimples are an infection, technically. However, you can't get a pimple where you don't have a pore or hair follicle, and I'm pretty sure there are no hair follicles on your eyelids. I'd guess something got lodged there, between your skin and your eye. I'd avoid putting anything on it, since you don't want to get anything in your eye and it might make it harder for the doctor to identify what's going on with it.

golentan
2009-11-14, 09:30 PM
If it's on the eyelid rather than under, the most common causes of this IME are spider or ant bites. Especially if you mistook it for a pimple early on.

A pimple with a high bacteria count or an infected cut could do the same. (whiteheads are infected, blackheads aren't btw), but aren't as common around the eyes as you might think, since it's not a porous region. And they tend not to be too sore to touch.

Check it in the mirror. If it looks like a bug bite (more swollen and reddish than a pimple in the surrounding areas if you have light skin, shinier and more bulbous around the white tip), you can take a lukewarm wash cloth and gently wash the area with a gentle soap, possibly applying a tiny dab of antihistamine if and only if you can avoid getting it in your eye. That'll get you through the night without too much discomfort. Avoid rubbing.

If it's persisted several days it probably doesn't have a whole lot of time left in it, and might (read: probably will) sort itself out in the next couple days. If it's a serious concern or irritation in your life go see a doctor. If it's not, you might not find the fee to see them worth it unless it persists a week or more. Tops, just say "I have a quick question, off the books, it'll take five minutes."

If it's under your eyelid, don't do anything (if it makes it hard to sleep pop a couple of advil or tylenol before bed) and go see your doctor first thing tomorrow. Chances are it's a lodged something or other, irritating the tissue. You don't want it scratching your eye, and that means getting it seen quickly. You could try flushing it with lukewarm water, but that's finicky and if you don't know what you're doing is more likely to move it further back, so I'd recommend against it. Avoid rubbing.

If it's over your eyelid and looks unusual (not a bug bite or pimple), see a doctor straight away. You don't want to risk around with infection or unknown skin conditions near your eye.

xPANCAKEx
2009-11-14, 09:37 PM
probably a stye

take some painkillers
go to the doc 1st thing

if it gets too painful, go to A&E/the ER/whatever acronym your country uses - an eye issue should usually get priority treatment

Felixaar
2009-11-14, 09:38 PM
Condition commonly known as "Eye Snakes". It's entirely up to the incredibly poisonous snakes inside your head as to when they bite your brain, but when you do... well, I'll be getting most of your estate through forgery.

DraPrime
2009-11-14, 09:39 PM
Condition commonly known as "Eye Snakes". It's entirely up to the incredibly poisonous snakes inside your head as to when they bite your brain, but when you do... well, I'll be getting most of your estate through forgery.

I thought it was eye sharks. :smallconfused:

xPANCAKEx
2009-11-14, 09:41 PM
I thought it was eye sharks. :smallconfused:

nope

they're much worse

golentan
2009-11-14, 09:41 PM
probably a stye

DOH! should have thought of.

DraPrime
2009-11-14, 09:43 PM
nope

they're much worse

Ah, well what about eye scorpions? How do they compare to the snakes and sharks?

Alteran
2009-11-14, 09:50 PM
Ah, well what about eye scorpions? How do they compare to the snakes and sharks?

Most eye scorpion stings are actually non-fatal to healthy adults.

But they're still scorpions that live in your eyes, so they're not exactly fun.

DraPrime
2009-11-14, 09:51 PM
Most eye scorpion stings are actually non-fatal to healthy adults.

But they're still scorpions that live in your eyes, so they're not exactly fun.

Ah, that sucks. I'd bring up eye crabs next, but that just makes me think of pubic lice living in our eyes.

*shudders*

Alteran
2009-11-14, 09:52 PM
Ah, that sucks. I'd bring up eye crabs next, but that just makes me think of pubic lice living in our eyes.

*shudders*

Honestly? That would be way better than snakes, sharks, or scorpions. Perspective, man. :smalltongue:

DraPrime
2009-11-14, 09:59 PM
Honestly? That would be way better than snakes, sharks, or scorpions. Perspective, man. :smalltongue:

Sharks are at least cool. And they don't live in pubic hair, unless there's some sort of pubic sharks that I'm not aware of.

Anuan
2009-11-14, 10:13 PM
Speaking as someone with a Shark phobia, I would much rather have snakes or scorpions in my eyes. :smalleek:

Dr. Bath
2009-11-14, 10:26 PM
A good way to treat styes is with with either steam from a bowl of hot water (with a towel over your head) or a warm damp (very clean) flannel to the area. Yours sounds a bit bad though so doctor is a might fine idea.

Anuan
2009-11-14, 10:30 PM
What I've done so far is to give it a few washes with a hot salt-water solution. At least it's clean now.

Dr. Bath
2009-11-14, 10:31 PM
I found that keeping it warm works wonders, but cleaning it is the very best first step.

It's not brain maggots though.

I think.

Which is good!

thubby
2009-11-14, 10:31 PM
probably a stye. iirc the treatment for those is teabags, maybe eye drops if it's persistent.

Stormthorn
2009-11-14, 10:48 PM
Could be a chalazion, which is a bit more serious than a stye.

I believe that herpes simplex can also effect your eye. This is more serious still, but less likely unless you (or a person you kiss) has cold sores.
Not that you cant get occular herpes via other methods.

Not to scare you or anything. Just letting you know in case the stye treatment doesnt help that it could be something more serious.

Anuan
2009-11-14, 10:53 PM
Never had a coldsore, so I think I'm safe there.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-11-15, 02:19 AM
Another vote for a hot (but not burning hot) compress. Didn't fix the problem when I had a stye but gave me some relief from symptoms.

Kneenibble
2009-11-15, 02:24 AM
It sounds exactly like a stye, I had one once. I'm pretty sure they're nothing but an inconvenience, although untreated they take a long time to go away.

A homeopathic preparation of bee venom cleared it up quickly, and the doctor also recommended a poultice made from grated raw potato.

charl
2009-11-15, 02:32 AM
It sounds exactly like a stye, I had one once. I'm pretty sure they're nothing but an inconvenience, although untreated they take a long time to go away.

A homeopathic preparation of bee venom cleared it up quickly, and the doctor also recommended a poultice made from grated raw potato.

I'd talk to a medical doctor before resorting to this. Bee venom can be very, very dangerous.

Kneenibble
2009-11-15, 02:38 AM
I'd talk to a medical doctor before resorting to this. Bee venom can be very, very dangerous.

A homeopathic preparation of anything is never dangerous. It contains only minute traces of the substance, if any at all.

charl
2009-11-15, 02:54 AM
A homeopathic preparation of anything is never dangerous. It contains only minute traces of the substance, if any at all.

Oh, you mean that stuff? In that case you might as well use water. There is no medical reason for it to work, apart from the placebo effect, and in that case you might as well put some ranks into Autohypnosis and skip the middleman. :smallwink:

Fawkes
2009-11-15, 02:56 AM
Sounds like a textbook case of the plague to me. I'm afraid we'll have to amputate.

Kneenibble
2009-11-15, 03:00 AM
Oh, you mean that stuff? In that case you might as well use water. There is no medical reason for it to work, apart from the placebo effect, and in that case you might as well put some ranks into Autohypnosis and skip the middleman. :smallwink:

Heh, well, maybe I'm really good at self-deception. I won't bother arguing its merit here, but it did work.

golentan
2009-11-15, 03:00 AM

Hey, I use the placebo effect all the time. I have sugar pills in the cupboard, and whenever I feel a headache coming on, or a sniffle, I pop 2 (4 if it's a bad one) and chug them down with some water.

I figure since gains on a placebo vs. nothing are measurable, taking a placebo should give me benefits since I expect them to. And if anyone tries to make me believe differently I will defend my voodoo medical practices by covering my ears and shouting "NANANANA!!!"

charl
2009-11-15, 03:04 AM
Hey, I use the placebo effect all the time. I have sugar pills in the cupboard, and whenever I feel a headache coming on, or a sniffle, I pop 2 (4 if it's a bad one) and chug them down with some water.

I figure since gains on a placebo vs. nothing are measurable, taking a placebo should give me benefits since I expect them to. And if anyone tries to make me believe differently I will defend my voodoo medical practices by covering my ears and shouting "NANANANA!!!"

That's pretty much what autohypnosis amounts to really. But it does work. I do it all the time, but I skip the pills in the first place and just cut to the self-deception.

golentan
2009-11-15, 03:11 AM
That's pretty much what autohypnosis amounts to really. But it does work. I do it all the time, but I skip the pills in the first place and just cut to the self-deception.

But then you don't have an excuse to eat raw sugar. What's wrong with you?

charl
2009-11-15, 03:13 AM
But then you don't have an excuse to eat raw sugar. What's wrong with you?

You are right. I think I need to rethink my policies, though buying sugar pills would mean an extra expense I could do without.

golentan
2009-11-15, 03:17 AM
You are right. I think I need to rethink my policies, though buying sugar pills would mean an extra expense I could do without.

Eh, it's just I find it easier to get into a state when I have a focal charm. It's the reason I wear training weights too. I honestly believe they hold me back (they weigh about 5 lbs) so when I take them off I can run easier and punch faster.

I just like having Jujus on hand as easy foci. When I try to do states on my own, I realize that I'm relying on a proof that a symbol of faith will help overcome problems but that my symbol of faith is a recursive belief that symbols of faith help. Then I hit a logic spiral, my head asplodes, and my improved state collapses like a wet paper bag filled with concrete.

Just having the extra layer helps though.

EndlessWrath
2009-11-15, 04:25 AM
..no but I saw one played on tv.

... >.> <.<

i thought it was funny.
-------
Hope you feel better, and hope its not a serious thing. My brother had some weird pains around his eye and then had to get eye surgery :smalleek:. Hope its not as serious.

-Wrath

Anuan
2009-11-15, 06:50 AM
Looking into it further on medical websites etc, it appears I've most likely got a mild stye, or am beginning to get said stye. Thanks guys. Am still going to the GP tomorrow to make sure it isn't a Chalazion (may get some other stuff checked out while I'm there) , but you guys (along with my reading) have calmed me down a lot.

In case you can't tell, EYES WORRY ME :smalleek:

jlvm4
2009-11-15, 05:50 PM

Any ideas?

Go to the doctor, but first, look up 'sty.' I think that's what you have. One of my kids got one a while back. Try puting a wet, warm washcloth and leaving it on the site for a while. I can't remember anything else, but I'm sure it's somewhere online.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-11-15, 05:59 PM
Docs?

I've got a big bump on the back of my head. Orso. Much bigger then the result of your usual bee/musquito. Not to mention that it's too cold for them right now....

And I don't remember bumping my head into anything in the previous week.

And it hurts to touch it. And putting any weight on it.

It's pretty much on the bottom-end of my skul orso.

It occasionaly starts slightly hurting out of itself.

Halp?

Also, I sleep on my side and my chair's headrest leans exactly in a way that it doesn't touch that part((un)luckily).

So I really have no idea when it started being there. I only know that I started hurting slightly(when it touched something, the slightly hurting out of itself came this afternoon...) yesterday...

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-11-17, 03:54 PM
Get somebody to look at it up close. Then talk to a real-life doc. It could be anything. An inflamed zit, a tick perhaps?

As usual with these threads I recommend the book "Take Care of Yourself."