PDA

View Full Version : 4e Need help making a one man army

Sploosh
2009-11-14, 11:24 PM
So I have a level two 4e game tomorrow with a two weapon fighting ranger, two useless characters and a mystery chraracter. I cant go into details on the other three since the two of them will not be contributing and the third is unknown.

This leaves me with the basic assumption of having to fights made for 5 players with effectively myself and said ranger. I am looking for a way to make this slightly possible or at least get as far as I can go.

I heard about a lockdown variant of a wizard called Orbizard but I dont really understand the design nor do I know the build? If that would work, how important are the power books? (Assume all books are open)

Is there any other good classes? I dont think a leader will work with the knowledge that the group wouldnt use the buffs efficently, else I'd try a tactical warlord.

Mando Knight
2009-11-14, 11:38 PM
Paladin. Even pre-Divine Power, it was a one-man war machine: high HP, minor Leader characteristics, minor Striker characteristics, and nearly insuperable defenses. Invest in any Divine Power abilities you can gather, stick to one attack stat, and keep a respectable Wis and Cha, and you should be a decent solo character. If you're paragon+, I'd recommend a Blade of the Eldritch Knight if you've got AV2, and the Champion of Order Paragon Path if you're a Str-Paladin.

Other than that, the Tactical Warlord can use the TWF Ranger exclusively rather than buffing the entire party. Your best power will be "make the Ranger hit it."

Nightson
2009-11-15, 01:25 AM
How exactly will they not be contributing? I mean can they not manage running up to things and hitting them with at-wills?

Inyssius Tor
2009-11-15, 01:46 AM
"two useless characters"?

AtopTheMountain
2009-11-15, 01:12 PM
Yeah, the Useless thing doesn't make much sense. Unless they're two wizards.

Talyn
2009-11-15, 02:30 PM
It is more or less impossible to create a useless character in 4e. Even the most useless build I can think of (low-wisdom pacifist cleric with nothing but attack powers) is still nice to have around for his enhanced healing.

"Sub-optimal" is not useless, and can still contribute.

Kurald Galain
2009-11-15, 03:05 PM
Yeah, the Useless thing doesn't make much sense. Unless they're two wizards.
...the wizard being one of the strongest classes in the game and the best controller hands down...

Sipex
2009-11-16, 12:56 PM
Two wizards who focused on blasting only?

Asbestos
2009-11-16, 01:35 PM
Two wizards who focused on blasting only?

4e, friend. Technically nearly all wizard powers are somewhat blasty.

Edit: Even unoptimized characters can flank, are these guys pacifistic parapalegics?