PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun 4e first time playing

Sliver
2009-11-15, 03:22 AM
So I have a friend that wanted to try DMing himself, and he was really interested in Shadowrun.. So we gathered some players (we will probably be 3 players +dm..) to try it out. Non has played Shadowrun 4e before, but I think one of the players has played 2e..

Anyway.. I am interested in making a hacker, but we may want to play this weekend so I was wondering if you can give me advice on what chapters I should read first, things I should consider for my character and anything else that might be helpful for first time players:smalltongue:

Ozreth
2009-11-15, 03:39 AM
I know nothing about shadowrun BUT I did just take a look at your character in your signature and was wondering...how is your human only 3 feet tall?

Sliver
2009-11-15, 03:45 AM
He is a 10 year old kid being built by someone that just took a look at halflings and said "Yeah... that will do"

The Random NPC
2009-11-15, 03:53 AM
The thing with Shadowrun, is that the GM will have to make two games, one for the people who live in meatspace, and one for the hacker in the Matrix. It can be hard to balance the focus so that everyone isn't bored when the other side is doing their thing. If you still want to make a hacker, I would read the chapter The Wireless World, starting on page 205.

Sliver
2009-11-15, 04:11 AM
Ah I see.. I wouldn't want to force him to try to handle 2 games at once.. It is his first try after all.. Will have to talk to him if he is cool with that or if taking something else would hurt us or the game (I would assume that having a hacker in the party is something pretty important, or am I wrong?)

Any advice about what else should I consider to take?

The Random NPC
2009-11-15, 04:17 AM
Having a hacker is good, but can always be a hired npc. If you want to do some hackerish stuff, without getting too heavy into the Matrix, try the Rigger. You're a teched up guy that controls drones. A lot of the skills overlap, just the focus is different.

BobVosh
2009-11-15, 04:30 AM
Meatspace/cyberspace isn't such an issue anymore. 3 or less it was worse. However: I would recommend first time runs have NPC hackers that get as much info/pass as much systems as is needed by plot. Same with the mage.

Just have the other runners. It will make life easy for the DM, and make it so you all play the same game.

Once you get a feel for the game have the rigger dabble into hacking (uses same stats mainly).

Sliver
2009-11-15, 04:40 AM
So beside Rigger, what would you advice to have to still cover for most needed things, assuming we have a hacker NPC?

And should I consider something besides human?

BobVosh
2009-11-15, 05:06 AM
Human/Dwarves are my favorite races for SR riggers.

Tehnar
2009-11-15, 05:23 AM
Now I don't have much experience, but this is what I've gleaned so far:

- a hacker is all kinds of useful. Aside from scouring the matrix for information, a lot of hacking in 4e can be done on the fly, with the hacker going part of a shadowrunner team. For example in our PbP game we have to infiltrate a sold out concert: we plan to hack the security guards PANs so they think the team is on the VIP list.

- a mage brings all kind of use to the table. The fact is without a mage certain challenges become much harder to do, if not impossible.

For the races I think it depends more on your RP preference then a mechanical benefit. Read the fluff in the books and see what suits you best.

comicshorse
2009-11-15, 09:31 AM
So beside Rigger, what would you advice to have to still cover for most needed things, assuming we have a hacker NPC?

It depends what the other guys in the party are amd fill the gap. But I always think you need some muscle, some magic, some social and some tech to make a good Shadowrunning team.