PDA

View Full Version : Nonmagical planetary destruction: 3.5

Kris Strife
2009-11-15, 03:29 AM
so, random thought exercise: is it possible to make a martial character capable of destroying one or more planets in a single attack round, just through direct damage?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-15, 03:33 AM
Step 1: Be a Crusader...

Temet Nosce
2009-11-15, 03:35 AM
Hulking Hurler. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873078/Hulking_Hurler_build) Last I checked they were well past the trillions in damage.

Ganurath
2009-11-15, 03:41 AM
Step 1: Be a Crusader...Luck Devotion, Aura of Chaos, and Shards of Granite? Granted, you don't need the last one, but from a mechanical standpoint it feels like it belongs. Additional bonus points if the Crusader wields a small dagger and worships Tharizdun.

Kris Strife
2009-11-15, 03:49 AM
How about melee characters. Being able to destroy multiple planets through the cleave line and so forth would be even better.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-15, 04:00 AM
Also, Distant Shot+Fling Enemy+Bloodstorm Blade+Sovereign Glue. You throw an enemy at a star, he bounces off and hits another, and another, and another, dragging the original star with him. Wipe out solar systems, without a single spell.

Sir_Elderberry
2009-11-15, 10:08 AM
Hulking Hurler. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873078/Hulking_Hurler_build) Last I checked they were well past the trillions in damage.

Majora? Is that you?

Jack_Simth
2009-11-15, 10:33 AM
Also, Distant Shot+Fling Enemy+Bloodstorm Blade+Sovereign Glue. You throw an enemy at a star, he bounces off and hits another, and another, and another, dragging the original star with him. Wipe out solar systems, without a single spell.

Unfortunately, Sovereign Glue takes a full round to set.

And, while it's not kind on the local catgirl population to say so, stars' surfaces are less solid than is the ocean. You're not going to let him remove all the water from the world the same way, are you?

Gamerlord
2009-11-15, 10:40 AM
Screw the catgirls! FOR SCIENCE!

Reinboom
2009-11-15, 10:42 AM
Screw the catgirls! FOR SCIENCE!

That is the worst pickup line I've ever been given. :sigh:

Gamerlord
2009-11-15, 10:45 AM
That is the worst pickup line I've ever been given. :sigh:

Okkaaaaaaaaayy...

What I meant by that is "Who cares about the catgirls?! We'll talk about real world physics in a fantasy world if we want to!"

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-15, 10:45 AM
Luck Devotion, Aura of Chaos, and Shards of Granite? Granted, you don't need the last one, but from a mechanical standpoint it feels like it belongs. Additional bonus points if the Crusader wields a small dagger and worships Tharizdun.

Too complex. Iron Heart Surge. :smalltongue:No, I'm not being serious, and if you are you should quit D&D forever. Which is also not serious but still funny. In my twisted mind.

Ganurath
2009-11-15, 10:47 AM
Also, Distant Shot+Fling Enemy+Bloodstorm Blade+Sovereign Glue. You throw an enemy at a star, he bounces off and hits another, and another, and another, dragging the original star with him. Wipe out solar systems, without a single spell.Fire Damage would destroy the projectile before it hits due to the star's Heat Aura (Ex,) but a fine effort.

SweetRein: One of many reasons not to bring real world physics into discussions of fantasy settings.

Volkov
2009-11-15, 10:49 AM
You can't destroy a planet by dealing damage to a small point. Geometry will slap you in the face. Rather you need a really, really big explosion. Gather an amount of TNT equal to the planet's mass and detonate it, the planet should be destroyed.

Volkov
2009-11-15, 10:50 AM
How about melee characters. Being able to destroy multiple planets through the cleave line and so forth would be even better.

The instant you cleave them in half with your impossibly large sword, gravity will pull the planets back together.

Ganurath
2009-11-15, 10:55 AM
You can't destroy a planet by dealing damage to a small point. Geometry will slap you in the face. Rather you need a really, really big explosion. Gather an amount of TNT equal to the planet's mass and detonate it, the planet should be destroyed.Ah, but if the variables generated by the weapon are minimized while still leaving a potential for variance, one can harness the power of chaos (the alignment) and probability to generate a cascade effect of struck materials striking adjacent materials. Due to the minimum variance, maximum potential is automatically realized by the manipulation of probability, and with the amplification of chaos it brings the level of destruction to infinite values.

As for cleaved planets, I'm sure there'll be global destruction even after gravity as the same force squeezes out magma to cauterize the wound in the world.

sofawall
2009-11-15, 11:11 AM
This (http://qntm.org/?destroy) is some good reading on the subject.

Bayar
2009-11-15, 11:22 AM
Get a team of kobold miners. Tell them to start digging holes. they dig a big hole, excavating the earth. The mechanics of Profession (miner) dont say what happens with the excavated earth, so it appears to just go away :biggrin:

Although it is only non-magical...

ranagrande
2009-11-15, 11:29 AM
On the subject of Hulking Hurlers, I don't think it would be too difficult to get one who could actually pick up a planet and throw that into a star or another planet.

Charlie Kemek
2009-11-15, 02:21 PM
On the subject of Hulking Hurlers, I don't think it would be too difficult to get one who could actually pick up a planet and throw that into a star or another planet.

what would you be standing on? that's physically impossible.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-15, 02:23 PM

Fly speed.

@catgirls: "Science kills catgirls" is an obnoxious meme. >_<

tyckspoon
2009-11-15, 02:29 PM

Turtles. filler

Bayar
2009-11-15, 03:59 PM

It's best not to delve on the subject.

Some people over on /tg/ wanted to know if they could use 2 hulking hurlers to hurl one another into space. The end result was something in the line of an endless number of hulking hurlers using the DC 80 escape artist check to crawl into one another and hurling themselves in a perpetual motion monster that could obliterate solar systems.

Volkov
2009-11-15, 04:12 PM
Ah, but if the variables generated by the weapon are minimized while still leaving a potential for variance, one can harness the power of chaos (the alignment) and probability to generate a cascade effect of struck materials striking adjacent materials. Due to the minimum variance, maximum potential is automatically realized by the manipulation of probability, and with the amplification of chaos it brings the level of destruction to infinite values.

As for cleaved planets, I'm sure there'll be global destruction even after gravity as the same force squeezes out magma to cauterize the wound in the world.

He said destroy the planet, which is far, far, far harder than wiping out all life. To do that all you need to do is blast off the crust. The combination of pressure, lack of metabolizing gasses, lack of any catalyst, and heat does not allow life to exist in the mantle. Not even D&D life, as one of these four would end up screwing you over. Incorporeal undead perhaps, but not much else.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-15, 04:18 PM
We should probably use immovable rods somewhere in here. Magically ward them enough and they could do quite some damage to the crust, at least.

Volkov
2009-11-15, 04:19 PM
We should probably use immovable rods somewhere in here. Magically ward them enough and they could do quite some damage to the crust, at least.

The fact that a planet is mostly fluid would screw the rods over.

Bayar
2009-11-15, 04:25 PM

Wasnt there an idea for sticking a rod of adamantine between 2 ring gates, making whole the space between the two ends and coating it in quintencense, then attempting to close the ring gates resulting in space/time continuum to bend in on itself and create a black hole or something ?

Might work with an immovable rod.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-15, 04:31 PM
Wait...
Wouldn't activating an immovable rod cause it to go to absolute zero?

EDIT: Oh, wait, the "immovable" rod only takes a DC 30 Strength check to move. Lame.

GolemsVoice
2009-11-15, 04:39 PM
All the way down.

On that note, could a hulking hurler pick up himself (by the hairs) and throw himself out of the swamp?