PDA

View Full Version : Jade Phoenix Mage, deciding on the classes.

Natael
2009-11-15, 01:01 PM
Looking to put together a JPM build that uses magic to supplement defenses mostly, while taking some advantage of the extra fire spell levels in Firebird Stance (I figure might as well not ignore a class feature entirely). Probably want to go for a light armor wearing caster (Bard, Beguiler, Warmage, not sure of others) combined with sword sage for the AC capabilities (though sadly don't think there are any wisdom arcane casters), based on likely using SS, I'll probably be playing a sneaky, and maybe social character (bard for glibness could be nice). Build would look something like caster4/init1/cast1/JPM10/cast1/init3 or c4/i1/c2/jpm10/i3

Bard is feeling the best for me due to the extra BaB and cure wand use, but winds up with so few spell slots.

Initiator at level 5 so I can pick up Adaptive Style at 6th. First build lets me enter JPM earlier, second one assures 3rd level spells before entering JPM and adds another initiator level for determining what I get from JPM, mostly leaning toward the second.

I have rolled stats: 15/15/15/14/13/12, can assign them however I want.

Being a necropolitan is an option I was considering, mostly for that d12 HP, and some flavor.

Most of what I'm looking for is to figure out the classes to use, though a suggestion on how to work it better is quite welcome. I want to avoid using more than a couple of base classes, though will likely be human, so the any favored class can be worked with.

Edit:
Duskblade is decided as the caster portion, need to decide on an initiator now. Hitting the heavy shield proficiency would be nice, though if not, I could go for a shock trooper build, while adding in a spell or maneuver to the huge hit, so figuring out how many levels I want to go into DB and a initiator before starting JPM is important. Crusader and Warblade both looking to be good choices and and can help cover my defenses when I shock trooper rape my AC.

Grumman
2009-11-15, 01:09 PM
You're PrCing out early, so Bard is not a good idea: you get to keep getting a primary spellcaster's better spell levels and slots, you don't get to keep getting the slightly higher B.A.B. or bardic music.

I'd use Wu Jen and Warblade.

Roland St. Jude
2009-11-15, 01:16 PM
I like Duskblade for this purpose. Basic arcane channeling, quick casting, and spellpower seem to come in handy and fit flavorfully. Full BAB. I haven't found the spell selection too restrictive; that is, it seems to do what I want in terms of boosting attacks and flexibility.

Natael
2009-11-15, 01:22 PM
Wow, I'm dumb for completely forgetting about Duskblade, it fits in perfectly to the idea, keeps BaB and HD high, while giving the armor and even a shield. Which means I can hit up something like Warblade or Crusader to stick with defense. I don't want to leave JPM early, intend to go 10 levels of it (guess I forgot to put the 10 there, but meant to for the build, will edit).

AstralFire
2009-11-15, 01:23 PM
If I may make a suggestion - Shugenja, ask if you can make it an arcane class instead. Especially with the fire focus, it's perfect. I think fire shugenja can still use heal wands, too, they just can't cast the spells directly from their spell list.

Catch
2009-11-15, 01:35 PM
If I may make a suggestion - Shugenja, ask if you can make it an arcane class instead. Especially with the fire focus, it's perfect. I think fire shugenja can still use heal wands, too, they just can't cast the spells directly from their spell list.

The Wu Jen has the elemental focus too, though. With Practiced Spellcaster + Elemental Mastery (Fire) + Firebird stance, you're casting fire spells at +5 CL.

The difference is that the Wu Jen has a spell list, but fewer per day, whereas the Shugenja is getting more spells cast, but with a far poorer selection. Plus, healing with wands is a huge advantage.

sofawall
2009-11-15, 01:41 PM
The Wu Jen has the elemental focus too, though. With Practiced Spellcaster + Elemental Mastery (Fire) + Firebird stance, you're casting fire spells at +5 CL.

The difference is that the Wu Jen has a spell list, but fewer per day, whereas the Shugenja is getting more spells cast, but with a far poorer selection. Plus, healing with wands is a huge advantage.

Nuclear Dan would be proud.

Natael
2009-11-15, 01:45 PM
Nuclear Dan would be proud.

While I've chosen duskblade, I do love the Nuclear Dan way of getting immune to fire and blowing myself up (Jade Phoenix must be orgasmic to him).

Fax Celestis
2009-11-15, 01:53 PM
While I've chosen duskblade, I do love the Nuclear Dan way of getting immune to fire and blowing myself up (Jade Phoenix must be orgasmic to him).

I CAST FIREBALL CENTERED ON MYSELF!

Grumman
2009-11-15, 02:00 PM
I CAST FIREBALL CENTERED ON MYSELF!
I prefer sneak attacking from 30 feet away with a 40 foot Meteor Swarm.

AstralFire
2009-11-15, 02:04 PM
Catch - Do Wu Jen have healing spells on their list too?

Grumman
2009-11-15, 02:10 PM
Catch - Do Wu Jen have healing spells on their list too?
No, but JPMs can take Devoted Spirit maneuvers, so you can heal as you kill. And Wu Jen do get three of my favourite spells: Body Outside Body, Giantsize and Firestride Exhalation.

gorfnab
2009-11-15, 03:49 PM
One build I've used before with JPM is Bard 6/ Crusader 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 8. If you're going with Duskblade then use Warblade for the Int synergy.

deuxhero
2009-11-15, 03:51 PM
Steel Dragon wyrmling racial casting makes a neat entry (particularly with Wyrm of War)

And a mthiral twilight chain shirt is only 1 ac less than a mithiral breastplate, so don't bother with armored casting that much.

Rainbownaga
2009-11-15, 08:10 PM
Wu-jen also get that giant size spell which would be pretty cool on a gish. Too bad it's such a high level.

Wings of Peace
2009-11-15, 08:45 PM
Arcane Disciple (War) + Some manner of easy persisting will net you Divine Power for taking care of your AB needs so long as you can avoid being dispelled. Personally I would stick with Wizard for things like Wraithstrike and Greater Mighty Whallop as well, and don't forget if you're Good about options such as Greater Luminous Armor.

Natael
2009-11-15, 10:50 PM
One foolish thing I neglected to mention is that only PHB spells are allowed (unless the class originates in another book, in which case they get whatever is on their spell list).