PDA

View Full Version : Opening a "Shout Out" Thread

Logalmier
2009-11-15, 03:15 PM
Is it okay to open a "shout out" thread in the Board/Site Issues section of the forum? Such as a thread titled, "(user name) please read." I only ask because my PM box is not working, and I would like to reach a specific poster. I've Pmed them multiple times, and have asked for advice from the rest of the playground. He still hasn't responded, so I would like to make a thread that he will hopefully see.

So is this okay?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-11-15, 03:38 PM
1. I'm sure one of the mods or admins can fix your PM box problem if you tell them what is actually ''not working''.

2. Have you considered that person may or may not have been responding to you on purpose?

3. Has that person listed a alternative means of communication in his/her/it profile? Tried that?

4. Probably not.

Sneak
2009-11-15, 07:13 PM
1. Check the person's profile. It'll tell you when his/her last activity was. Has he/she simply been inactive? If so, a shoutout thread wouldn't do any good.

2. Is PM not working because their PM box is full, because yours is, or because of some other reason? Do you know why? What's wrong with it?

3. If they are active, try waiting till they're online, wait for them to post in a thread, and then post in that thread yourself to try to contact them.

Quincunx
2009-11-16, 03:27 AM
Does your recipient possibly have you on ignore?

Killer Angel
2009-11-20, 12:04 PM
Is it okay to open a "shout out" thread in the Board/Site Issues section of the forum? Such as a thread titled, "(user name) please read." I only ask because my PM box is not working,

A single problem on a PM box? probably it's easy to fix.
To obtain the permission of opening public "personal threads"? it would carry long-term consequences far beyond our imagination. And problems not so easy to fix...

quicker_comment
2009-11-20, 04:35 PM
To obtain the permission of opening public "personal threads"? it would carry long-term consequences far beyond our imagination.
Er, are you sure that's not a bit overdramatic? I have a pretty wild imagination.

To the OP: if they're already not noticing a PM, why would they notice a thread in Board Issues? (In fact, you've already started a thread in Board Issues, and if they've read it they've probably realized it's about them.)

I'd consider that it's very possible that you are not actually experiencing a technical problem, in which case all these efforts are just wasted time for everyone involved. Sometimes people just don't want to be contacted.

Killer Angel
2009-11-20, 04:45 PM
Er, are you sure that's not a bit overdramatic? I have a pretty wild imagination.

Pretty sure that I am. I was following the shakespeare's threads in the media section... :smallwink:

Logalmier
2009-11-20, 05:56 PM
Nevermind, he responded. Apparently he got all my PMs at once.

Oh well. No harm done.