PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you mix paladins and sorcercers? The Blessed blood!(3.5)

Gamerlord
2009-11-15, 07:48 PM
The BLESSED BLOOD!
Sometimes, a newly graduated paladin discovers he has developed sorcerers power, this can result in one of two things: 1.He does his best to hide these powers, continuing his path as a paladin, or 2.He leaves the path of the paladin to study his new found powers, sometimes a mixture appears, where one follows a ancient way that combines the holy power of the paladin with the dragons blood of the sorcerer, resulting in the PRC now known as the Blessed blood!

HD:d8

Prerequisites:
Alignment: Any good
Special: Smite evil class feature
Spells:Able to cast arcane spells of 2nd-level
Special: Must be able to cast spells without preparation, like a sorcerer.
Skills: Knowledge(arcana) 7 ranks, Knowledge(Religion) 5 ranks

Multiclass note: The blessed blood can multiclass seamlessly between sorcerer and paladin, and can continue to advance in paladin, plus, the blessed blood's levels in sorcerer and paladin as well as blessed blood stack for determining how many times the blessed blood can use smite evil a day. Also, the blessed blood no longer needs to be LG, and can now be LG,NG, and CG. The blessed blood's sorcerer,paladin, and Blessed blood levels all stack for determining how much extra damage the smite evil does.

Weapons and armor proficiency: The blessed blood gains no weapon or armor proficiency.

Class skills:
The blessed blood's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill points at each level: 2+ Int modifier

BLESSED BLOOD
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Light armor mastery|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|magic smite evil|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Blinding flash|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Holy blast +1d4|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Medium armor mastery|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|Summon Hound archon ,Holy blast +1d6|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|Healing mastery|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+6|Holy blast+1d8|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+6|Extra smiting|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+3|
+7|Heavy armor mastery,holy blast +1d10|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class [/table]

Light armor mastery: The blessed blood can wear any light armor and negate any arcane spell failure.
Magic smite evil: At 2nd level the blessed blood can apply his smite evil ability to any spell he casts that does direct damage (I.e meteor swarm and fireball but not Energy drain)
Blinding flash: At 3rd level the blessed blood can sacrifice a spell slot to unleash a flash of light that ALL creatures except the caster within 5 ft. must succeed on a DC 10+blessed blood levels will save or be blinded for 1d4 rounds.
Holy blast: Starting at 4th level, the blessed blood adds 1d4 damage to any spell cast against a evil creature. This improves to 1d6 at 6th level, 1d8 at 8th level, and 1d10 at 10th level. This may stack with magic smite evil.
Medium armor mastery : At 5th level the blessed blood can wear any medium armor and negate any arcane spell failure.
Summon Hound archon : starting at 6th level 1/day the Blessed blood can summon a Hound archon (pg 17 MM1) who will do anything the blessed blood says that is not contrary to its alignment. The Hound archon stays until slain or 1 hour/levels in blessed blood have passed, whichever comes first.
Healing mastery : At 7th level the blessed blood can expend one spell slot to cast a cure spell of the same level or lower (IE. Expend a level 1 or higher spell slot to cast cure light wounds, etc.)
Extra smiting: At 9th level the blessed blood gets the Extra Smiting feat(See CW pg.98) as a bonus feat even if he doesn't qualify and also gets another extra two usages of smite evil.
Heavy armor mastery: At 10th level the blessed blood can wear any heavy armor and negate the arcane spell failure.

So what do you think? Just another lame mystic theruge spin-off? Overpowered? Under powered?

Sorry if it seems badly formatted, I was in a rush.

Gamerlord
2009-11-15, 08:40 PM
I have a bad feeling that the class is overpowered, your opinions?

Temotei
2009-11-15, 09:10 PM
Weapons and armor proficiency: The Bless blood gains the ability to wield any light or martial weapon and wear any light,medium, and heavy armor, but does not gain proficiency with any shields.

You really don't need to say this, because the paladin already gets all of those proficiencies, plus shields. Also, bold the header.

Hit dice:1d8

Should be "HD: d8" so people don't think you only get one hit die. Bold HD.

Requirements:
Alignment: Any good
Special: Smite evil class feature
Skills: Knowledge(arcane) 7 ranks, Knowledge(Religion) 5 ranks

Change "Requirements" to "Prerequisites." The alignment prerequisite allows paladins of freedom to enter this class. Just be mindful of that. The special section should say sorcerer, or change the fluff to include all of the spontaneous arcane casters. Oh, and it's Knowledge (arcana), not Knowledge (arcane).

Also, the Blessed blood no longer needs to be LG, and can now be LG,NG, and CG.

Paladins of freedom are Chaotic Good. You should also change the shortened versions of the alignments to be spelled out, for professionalism. Blessed shouldn't be capitalized. Lastly, put a space between Lawful Good and Neutral Good.

Class skills:
The Blessed blood's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff(Cha), Knowledge(arcane) (Int), Knowledge(Religion) (Int), Concentration(con), Craft(Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Heal(Wis), and Spellcraft(Int).
Skill points at each level: 6+ Int modifier

Bold the header, and capitalize Skills. Undo the capitalization on blessed. And put the skills in alphabetical order. (So it should be: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).) Then put a space between 6 and +. Question: Why 6 + Int mod? Both paladins and sorcerers get 2 + int mod...

Multiclass note: : The Blessed

Get rid of the random colon after the first one, and the capitalization of blessed.

Get rid of the <br> in the Base Attack Bonus column in your table.

Light armor mastery: The blessed blood can wear any light armor and negate any arcane spell failure.

This ability is usually called armored mage (light). The name, as is, implies that you're getting better at using light armor, and therefore are going to be able to protect yourself better (AC bonus). Also, the headers of the abilities should be capitalized. "Light Armor Mastery:..." Oh, and you should specify that the negation of spell failures only applies to light armor.

(I.E metor swarm and fireball but not Energy drain)

Spell names are always capitalized, and it's spelled "meteor." "I.E" should be "i.e."

Blinding flash: at 3rd level the Blessed blood can sacrifice a spell slot to unleash a flash of light that ALL creatures within 5 ft. must succeed on a DC 10+blessed blood levels will save or be blinded for 1d4 rounds.

At should be capitalized. There should be a comma between level and the. Blessed should not be capitalized. All should also not be capitalized. If you want to emphasize that allies also get hit, say it specifically. The save should be written as such: "DC 10 + class levels." I also recommend adding the primary casting statistic (most likely Charisma) to the DC. Blinding usually also causes a Fortitude saving throw, so you should probably change that. Make sure Fortitude/Will is capitalized, in any case. It can also be worded better. "...to unleash a flash of light blinding all creatures within 5 feet, unless they succeed on a Fortitude/Will (whichever you choose) saving throw of DC 10 + class levels + Cha modifier." Lastly, you should include extra benefits for using up higher level spell slots. Otherwise, everyone would only use cantrips and 1st level slots.

Holy blast: Starting at 4th level, the blessed blood adds 1d4 damage to any spell cast against a evil creature. This improves to 1d6 at 6th level, 1d8 at 8th level, and 1d10 at 10th level.

Make sure to state that this stacks with magic smite evil (consider getting a new name for that ability...it's kind of lame, honestly :smalltongue:).

Medium armor mastery At 5th level the Blessed blood can wear any medium armor and negate any arcane spell failure.

See the entry on light armor mastery above. Also, add a colon after mastery. And blessed shouldn't be capitalized.

Summon Hound archon 1/day: starting at 6th level once a day the Blessed blood can summon a Hound archon (pg 17 MM1) who will do anything the Blessed blood says that is not contrary to its alignment. The Hound archon remains untill dismissed or slain.

Get rid of the 1/day in the header, and change "once a day" to 1/day. Capitalize starting. Blessed should not be capitalized. Until, not "untill." Archon should be capitalized in the header, and hound should not be capitalized anywhere except the header. You should probably put a limit on the time it can stay with the caster, though. Like 1 hour/level, and maybe put a cap on it. A comma should also be between level and 1/day (once it's revised).

Healing mastery : At 7th level the Blessed blood can expend one spell slot to cast a cure spell of the same level (IE. Expend a level 1 slot to cast cure light wounds, etc.)

No space should be between mastery and the colon. There should be a comma between level and the. Blessed should not be capitalized. Lastly, you should let higher level spell slots cast lower level cure spells.

Extra smiting: At 9th level the Blessed blood gets the extra smiting feat in the complete warrior as a bonus feat even if he doesn't qualify and also gets ANOTHER extra two usages of smite evil.

A comma should be after level. Blessed should not be capitalized. Extra Smiting should be capitalized, because feats always are. Get rid of "in the complete warrior." If you want to cite it, add: (CW pg. ##). Don't capitalize another.

Heavy armor mastery: At 10th level the Blessed blood can wear any heavy armor and negate the arcane spell failure.

A comma should be between level and the. Blessed should not be capitalized. Also, in all of the "armor mastery" entries, get rid of the "wear any [insert armor type] armor" part, because the blessed blood is already proficient from the paladin levels.

I recommend going through, capitalizing all the headers, making them bold, getting rid of the capitalization of blessed in the class...etc. I think you should also add a cool capstone, and make heavy armor mastery a 9th level ability for the class. This would also fit with the progressions...[1st = Light + 4 = Medium + 4 = Heavy].

What I'm seeing is a battle sorcerer, but without losing the spell slots, and not progressing in the spellcasting line (no higher level spells).

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-11-15, 09:21 PM
What happens when you mix paladins and sorcercers? The Blessed blood!
No, no, no, you get a Saladin! Smite Croutons ftw!

*runs before he is beaten*

Delandel
2009-11-15, 09:26 PM
Skills: Knowledge(arcane) 7 ranks, Knowledge(Religion) 5 ranks

Merge "Spells" and "Special," and just say "Must be able to spontaneously cast 2nd-level arcane spells."

Weapons and armor proficiency: The Bless blood gains the ability to wield any light or martial weapon and wear any light,medium, and heavy armor, but does not gain proficiency with any shields.

You probably don't need this. If you can smite evil, you most likely have this anyway.

There's another PrC that lets you do ranged smites and smites on spells I believe. I'll get back to you if I find it. But I'd suggest copying their wording. Also, you suggest scrapping the "extra smite," thing since it's poorly worded and confusing. Instead, go with "magic smite evil 1/day," like the paladin has it, and state when it becomes 2/day and 3/day on the chart. Ditch the bonus feat.

Look up the warmage's "armored caster" ability, copy the wording of it, since it's the same as yours. Makes things more streamlined.

Looks like a decent PrC choice for a blaster sorcerer. Basically a sorcerer gives up 1 spell level progression (paladin1 dip) to get a armored casting and more damaging spells vs. evil creatures.

I don't much like that blinding light thing though. Seems silly to blind yourself, though comical. :smallamused:

Temotei
2009-11-15, 09:29 PM
I don't much like that blinding light thing though. Seems silly to blind yourself, though comical. :smallamused:

Hahaha...I didn't even think of blinding yourself. It would be better to just change it to blinding only enemies, probably.

Brain bleach! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131718)

BenTheJester
2009-11-15, 09:56 PM
CG is two steps from LG.

That's too much.

Allow only LG, NG and LN

Temotei
2009-11-15, 10:24 PM
CG is two steps from LG.

That's too much.

Allow only LG, NG and LN

Paladins...can fall. You know. Go on a rampage after their family dies, or some such. Kill babies while sleeping, rape them when awake...etc. :smallsigh:

DracoDei
2009-11-15, 10:53 PM
The weapon and armor proficiencies are pointless unless there is some variation of a paladin I am unaware of?

Jokasti
2009-11-15, 11:03 PM
Also, how long does the Hound Archon stay? I would say Class Level hours, or something.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-11-15, 11:15 PM

...so Greyhawk paladin + Greyhawk sorcerer = Al'Qadim crusader (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saladin)? Neat trick. (Or should I say anti-crusader?)

Zeta Kai
2009-11-15, 11:37 PM
...so Greyhawk paladin + Greyhawk sorcerer = Al'Qadim crusader (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saladin)? Neat trick. (Or should I say anti-crusader?)

That's some funny math you got there, partner. :smallwink:

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-11-16, 12:13 AM
That's some funny math you got there, partner. :smallwink:

Of course it's funny math; only one of those settings has invented the 0. :smallbiggrin:

Gamerlord
2009-11-16, 02:18 PM
Also, how long does the Hound Archon stay? I would say Class Level hours, or something.

Until dismissed or slain.

Gamerlord
2009-11-16, 05:27 PM
Ok I think I fixed most of the errors if I missed one let me know, anyway, is this overpowered or not?

PirateMonk
2009-11-16, 08:41 PM
Until dismissed or slain.

So, every time the party takes a break for a few months, they get an army of archons?

Temotei
2009-11-16, 08:50 PM
So, every time the party takes a break for a few months, they get an army of archons?

Yes. :smalleek:

Gamerlord
2009-11-17, 02:35 PM
Archons that are CR 4.

KBF
2009-11-17, 02:43 PM
Archons that are CR 4.

What's the CR on 30 of them? 60? 120?

Gamerlord
2009-11-17, 02:45 PM
You know group CRs are a piece of junk.

Temotei
2009-11-18, 06:35 PM
You know group CRs are a piece of junk.

That's not the point. The point is that you can waste enemies' turns by sending in your pawns at later levels, or at earlier levels, stand next to the fighter with a bunch of archons. Make it hours/level.

Gamerlord
2009-11-18, 06:51 PM
Got it, fixed it.

Temotei
2009-11-18, 08:34 PM
Summon Hound archon : starting at 6th level 1/day the Blessed blood can summon a Hound archon (pg 17 MM1) who will do anything the blessed blood says that is not contrary to its alignment. The Hound archon stays until slain or 1 hour/levels in blessed blood have passed.

At the end, put "whichever comes first," with a comma after passed.

Gamerlord
2009-11-19, 03:57 PM
Got it. Will do.