PDA

View Full Version : I made my own cheese!

Groundhog
2009-11-15, 08:15 PM
This afternoon, I made myself some delicious mozzarella cheese. This was part of a project which involved doing something you'd never done before and documenting it for presentation to the class. So I made cheese. :smallbiggrin:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-11-15, 08:18 PM
Do we get
a) pictures?
or
b) samples?

Pocketa
2009-11-15, 08:34 PM
or

c.) recipes?

Groundhog
2009-11-15, 08:35 PM
Pictures, yes. http://s495.photobucket.com/albums/rr312/groundhog22/Cheesemaking/

Samples, unfortunately no. You'd think you'd get more cheese out of a whole gallon of milk, but there's barely enough there to feed my family for one meal.

Recipe can be found at the New England Cheesemaking website.

Starscream
2009-11-15, 08:35 PM
"I'd like a pound of mature groundhog22, please."

It does roll right off the tongue.:smallbiggrin:

Pocketa
2009-11-15, 08:38 PM
Pictures, yes. http://s495.photobucket.com/albums/rr312/groundhog22/Cheesemaking/

Samples, unfortunately no. You'd think you'd get more cheese out of a whole gallon of milk, but there's barely enough there to feed my family for one meal.

Recipe can be found at the New England Cheesemaking website.

Wharr be me re-ci-pe?

Sneak
2009-11-15, 08:42 PM
Cheese is amazing. This is amazing. You are amazing.

How was the cheese? Was it amazing? :smalltongue:

Oh, and recipes would be welcome.

(Also, do you take requests? If so: Havarti or goat cheese. Yum.)

Groundhog
2009-11-15, 08:45 PM
Wharr be me re-ci-pe?

It's not on the site?

Coidzor
2009-11-15, 08:47 PM
More like, which recipe on the site? I guess..

This site? (http://www.cheesemaking.com/)

This Recipe? (http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/pg/21.html)

Evil_Pacifist
2009-11-15, 08:47 PM
When I first saw this thread, I expected it to be concerning the accidental sort of cheese that I occasionally make on my desk.

This is also cool, though.

Perenelle
2009-11-15, 08:53 PM
Mozzarella cheese is awesome. Its one of the few cheeses I like. :smallbiggrin:

Groundhog
2009-11-15, 08:58 PM
@Coidzor: Yes, you've got the right site. And the right recipe.

@Sneak: I plan to do this again, so yes, I am taking requests.

Moff Chumley
2009-11-15, 09:26 PM
I love you.

Also, I demand Jack (cheese)!

Groundhog
2009-11-15, 09:29 PM
Groundhog's List of Cheeses That She Plans To Make:
Havarti
Goat cheese
Monterey Jack

Anyone else want to put in a request?

Kneenibble
2009-11-15, 09:58 PM
Hey groundhog, I put in a request for you to make any of those cheeses with something cool for flavouring, like jalapeno havarti, or jack with cracked pepper.

So are you actually using rennet as the coagulant (or whatever the official word for it would be)? That's cool, what form does it come in when you buy it?

Would you consider making the not-quite-cheese Indian cheese, paneer?

When I first saw this thread, I expected it to be concerning the accidental sort of cheese that I occasionally make on my desk.

This is also cool, though.
I'm, I'm, just not sure if you mean this to be as dirty as my mind is making it. I like you if you do though. :smallcool:

Setra
2009-11-15, 09:59 PM
This afternoon, I made myself some delicious mozzarella cheese. This was part of a project which involved doing something you'd never done before and documenting it for presentation to the class. So I made cheese. :smallbiggrin:

This afternoon? I thought cheese took like months to make or something >.>

Fridesgerte
2009-11-15, 10:20 PM
This afternoon? I thought cheese took like months to make or something >.>

Some cheese is made and eaten fresh, some is aged.

Of course when my milk gets funny and lumpy like that I figure it's gone bad and throw it out :smallbiggrin:

PS. I've never made real cheese myself but I have friends who do. And in another life I'm one of the proud cheese farmers of Ostgardr.

Evil_Pacifist
2009-11-15, 10:34 PM
I'm, I'm, just not sure if you mean this to be as dirty as my mind is making it. I like you if you do though. :smallcool:

:smalleek: No no no! I meant, like, being a slob and leaving dairy products out! :smallbiggrin:

Phase
2009-11-15, 10:51 PM
You can make cheese your in mere minutes using household ingrediants!

Simply pour milk into a cup of Sprite (or similar beverage,) allow to sit for several minutes, remove, strain, and voila, you have a basic cheese with a lemon-lime aftertaste!

Assassin89
2009-11-15, 10:55 PM

Simply pour milk into a cup of Sprite (or similar beverage,) allow to sit for several minutes, remove, strain, and voila, you have a basic cheese with a lemon-lime aftertaste!

I think that would be more like carbonated milk than cheese. Seltzer water could do the same without the aftertaste, if the cheese making centers around the sugar and carbonation.

Phase
2009-11-15, 11:03 PM
I dunno, it was pretty damn solid, and tasted like (rather plain, I'll admit) cheese. Look + Touch + Taste = Cheese, based on qualitative data.

Jokasti
2009-11-15, 11:06 PM
The real question is, did you cut it?

DID YOU CUT THE CHEESE?!?!?!?!?!?!

Coidzor
2009-11-15, 11:32 PM
I think it's more important to know if they fried the mozzarella or not prior to nomming.

Kneenibble
2009-11-16, 01:37 PM
I dunno, it was pretty damn solid, and tasted like (rather plain, I'll admit) cheese. Look + Touch + Taste = Cheese, based on qualitative data.

Milk that is acid-curdled (I'm assuming it's the acidity of the soda that curdles it) and strained, you've basically got paneer, although the usual catalyst is lime juice. You couldn't age that, though: when it's made in that way it must be eaten fresh.

The real question is, did you cut it?
I just now understand that idiom I've heard all my life!
Because when you cut into a sealed wheel of real cheese that has been aging for a while, it probably stinks, right?
It all makes sense now!

Cobra_Ikari
2009-11-16, 01:42 PM
I think it's more important to know if they fried the mozzarella or not prior to nomming.

I'd prefer it unfried, on tomatoes, with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. >.>

Jokasti
2009-11-16, 02:43 PM
Delicious! Magically!

Gullara
2009-11-16, 02:50 PM
Mozzarella cheese is awesome. Its one of the few cheeses I like. :smallbiggrin:

Few cheeses that you like? You need to try more cheese. Mmmm cheese.

Groundhog
2009-11-16, 04:33 PM
Groundhog's List of Cheeses That She Plans To Make:
Havarti
Goat cheese
Monterey Jack
Any of the above with spices added (and possibly marinaded as well)
Paneer
Halumi

@Kneenibble: Yes, I used rennet. Vegetable rennet, since the real stuff is more expensive and not really necessary for unaged cheeses. I got it from a friend, who bought it from New England Cheesemaking Supplies. It's in liquid form. Their liquid is double-strength, so I only had to use half the amount called for in the recipe.

@Jokasti: I haven't cut it yet, but I will tomorrow night before eating it. :smallbiggrin:

@Coidzor: We nommed some of it fresh, while it was still hot. The rest of it is sitting in my fridge, waiting to be nommed with veggies and dressing on sandwiches.

Tirian
2009-11-16, 05:27 PM
I think that would be more like carbonated milk than cheese. Seltzer water could do the same without the aftertaste, if the cheese making centers around the sugar and carbonation.

It doesn't, it's the acid (citric and carbonic in the case of Sprite). If you don't have rennet, then a little bit of lemon juice is what people normally recommend to curdle the milk. And if your milk is old enough to be lumpy, then it's already halfway there. You're just that close to having ricotta cheese and it's a short trip from there to mozzarella.

I don't even know how you make hard cheese, but it's a whole 'nother game.

Groundhog
2009-11-16, 05:37 PM
Hard cheese is another game entirely. Usually you need both rennet and some sort of starter, as well as flavor-enhancing ingredients. Not to mention the patience to wait 6 months or so until you can eat the stuff.

AshDesert
2009-11-16, 08:06 PM

Dangit, now I wanna try that.

Anuan
2009-11-16, 08:26 PM
Me too...

Groundhog, you made cheese? I think I love you now :o

Dr. Bath
2009-11-16, 08:51 PM
Me too...

Groundhog, you made cheese? I think I love you now :o

Pretty much this. Cheese is great.

Make some cheddar next time! Nice and mature.

ThreadKiller
2009-11-16, 09:44 PM
I salute you, groundhog! I'll have to try this someday :smallcool: