PDA

View Full Version : Modular Abilities' Effect on CR

PersonMan
2009-11-15, 09:09 PM
I'm going to be stating out a creature that has a "skill tree" of sorts, and I'd like to be able to have the abilities as separate and modular. However, I'm not sure how to calculate their effect on the CR of the creature. I want to have a "skeleton" of stats, upon which these modular abilities can be added. Does anyone have a way that I can relatively reliably say "This ability adds X to the CR of this creature for each level it is purchased".

I'm thinking that this may have to be done on a case-by-case basis, but I have no idea where to start, other than by doing the skeleton stats, which I can post later if you people want me to.

Glimbur
2009-11-15, 09:59 PM
You're going to run in to the imprecision of the CR system, as well as action economy problems. An ability to ranged touch at will for xd6 (like a warlock) is not bad in a vacuum, but it is worth less and less the more other options the monster has.

Passive abilities are the opposite way: being vulnerable to everything is the standard, but the more resistances and immunities you add the fewer options the PC's have so the more each additional resistance is worth. Tacking on Fire Resistance doesn't change things too much. On a troll, though, Fire Resistance is worth a lot more.

That said, the skeleton stats might be enough to ad hoc some CR's.

PersonMan
2009-11-16, 06:20 AM
You're going to run in to the imprecision of the CR system, as well as action economy problems. An ability to ranged touch at will for xd6 (like a warlock) is not bad in a vacuum, but it is worth less and less the more other options the monster has.

Passive abilities are the opposite way: being vulnerable to everything is the standard, but the more resistances and immunities you add the fewer options the PC's have so the more each additional resistance is worth. Tacking on Fire Resistance doesn't change things too much. On a troll, though, Fire Resistance is worth a lot more.

That said, the skeleton stats might be enough to ad hoc some CR's.

I see. Most of the abilities for this creature are going to be active-special attacks and the like. Two are passive, giving more HP and DR.

It'll help if you're familiar with the monster. Have you heard of/played the game Demigod?