PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Modifiers for gold armor?

Pika...
2009-11-15, 11:54 PM
In today's session the PCs made the favor of a 2k old Half-Elf smith (of all kinds) in an isolated Human village who's ancestors dug out a giant gold deposit, and the wealth has never left the community (Thing the cartoon movie Eldorado).

Anyway, in the dungeon they just crossed to get here they find a doll that most likely belonged to one of their ancient barbarian ancestors who were mining their way down into this valley. I described the doll as having blond long hair curled into two pony tails, a blue eye missing, wearing a solid gold piece of chainmail with a matching gold armor skirt, and holding a bastard sword.

So imagine my surprise when the player playing the female pixie says "would it fit me?.".

I was like "yeah, I guess...:smalleek:".

And he puts it on.

To boot the fluff of this character is that she is after treasure. A bit cliche, but the player does it wonderfully. (see image he himself made below).

Anyway, once back in town the villagers ask for it back, due to it being an ancestral relic. So the Half-Elf (up until then the only non-Human there for ages) offered to personally make her gold armor in exchange, and offered to even embed a few gems in there. The pixie happily agreed. The Half-Elf asked what type she would like, and the pixie replied a chainshirt.

So my question now is what kind of modifiers and/or benefits armor like this would have, if any at all.

I know that in the "Creating a Different World" section of the DMG it described Bronze Age armor and weapons (as well Stone age ones), but I am not sure how to modifier it for solid gold.

Pikas for all the help!

ps. Also note that this is a low-wealth campaign, so so just scored pretty nice here I am guessing...

edit:

Oops. Here is Rossa's (the PC's) image:
http://mistressmaxwell.deviantart.com/art/Commission-Rossa-the-Pixie-142733782

Mongoose87
2009-11-16, 12:03 AM
Well, it'd be useless and heavy.

Pharaoh's Fist
Pure gold is soft and would make for poor armor.

Dienekes
gold is useless, it's really heavy and you can bight on it to dent it.

Increase the dex penalty and decrease the armor value.

RandomLunatic
2009-11-16, 12:04 AM
Gold is a terrible choice for making armor. It is heavy, soft, and very malleable. I would suggest having the smith instead make it out of a more conventional material, and then plating it in gold-acheiving the desired appearance while still having actual protective properties. So stat it as a nice-looking masterwork chainshirt of whatever is underneath the gold.

Edit: Cursed gold-plated ninjas!

Myrmex
2009-11-16, 12:11 AM
I'd remove the max dex bonus, give it +6 armor, DR2/-, and +4 to charisma based checks when interacting with creatures that can see you.

Yukitsu
2009-11-16, 12:18 AM
Bonuses to social skills, less AC than normal by 1 or 2.

Good would be a +2 bonus to diplomacy and gather information, but -1 to the AC it provides, along with +1 armour check penalty.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-16, 12:23 AM
Bonuses to social skills, less AC than normal by 1 or 2.

Good would be a +2 bonus to diplomacy and gather information, but -1 to the AC it provides, along with +1 armour check penalty.

http://www.searchviews.com/wp-content/themes/clean-copy-full-3-column-1/images/bling.jpg
All other things being equal, this man will have a higher diplomacy modifier than you.

UglyPanda
2009-11-16, 12:26 AM
Realistically, gold armor should be crap.

Mechanically, gold armor shouldn't be good. Mithral is worth more than its weight in gold. Even with 50% profit and 30% labor*, it's still worth much more than gold is. So anything made of gold should be worse than mithral to make sense.

You know, why don't they ever have aluminum armor in fantasy settings? Back in the day, it was worth more as a precious material than gold was and is slightly harder. Aluminum armor would still be worthless, but if your setting already has gold armor, you're not making anything any worse.

*I'm making these percentages up and overestimating. It's probably 50%, but I'm not sure.

herrhauptmann
2009-11-16, 12:57 AM
It's already covered in Magic of Faerun (3.0 book), under special materials. Both gold and platinum can be used.

Kylarra
2009-11-16, 01:06 AM
It's already covered in Magic of Faerun (3.0 book), under special materials. Both gold and platinum can be used.
IIRC, it increases spell failure, armor check penalty, decreases max dex mod, and bumps it up from light -> medium or medium->heavy as far as armor types go.

Grumman
2009-11-16, 01:07 AM
Something like a +2 on certain checks for interacting with other people, and really terrible for actual armour. Worse +AC, worse weight, worse ASF, worse max Dex, worse everything.

You know, why don't they ever have aluminum armor in fantasy settings?
IIRC, aluminium has the same strength to weight ratio as steel. It's good if you want to optimise the surface area-to-weight ratio, but not for making things that need to take a beating.

Quietus
2009-11-16, 01:54 AM
Give it the same stats as a regular chain shirt, with a +2 circumstance bonus (priced as skill bonus, if it matters) to diplomacy. If pressed, the 2k+ half-elf smith can elaborate that it's a special alloy, made to have the appearance of gold and the strength of steel. And no, he won't give you the family recipe.

ericgrau
2009-11-16, 03:57 AM
Pure gold is both crazy heavy and far weaker so it makes no sense by any measure. You might as well wear taffy with lead weights attached to it. But a gold armor alloyed with copper could maintain some strength with less weight while keeping the gold appearance. And that alloy is likely to be used on a doll to keep it from breaking in the hands of a child. AC and HP remain unchanged, but weight doubles and hardness decreases. I'd guess a hardness of 4, maybe 3. Armor check penalty would probably increase by 1 for more weight. That could give your PC the look she wants while still being useful.

You know, why don't they ever have aluminum armor in fantasy settings? Back in the day, it was worth more as a precious material than gold was and is slightly harder. Aluminum armor would still be worthless, but if your setting already has gold armor, you're not making anything any worse.

Only pure aluminum. There are common and reasonably priced alloys of aluminum as strong as mild steel. Or if you want to compare apples to apples - steel alloy to aluminum alloy - aluminum is about 1/3 as strong and 1/3 as heavy. But rigidity increases as the cube of thickness, so something 3 times thicker is 27 times more rigid. So you don't make it that thick, and you have a material that is lighter and more rigid. That makes it great for absorbing blows as plate mail or as chain mail rings while being more durable and weighing less. That is, you have mithral.

Vic_Sage
2009-11-16, 04:14 AM
Question OP, do you care about realism or not?

Tyrmatt
2009-11-16, 04:34 AM
In a "high" fantasy setting, I'd make the gold be a weaker against physical assault, afford some kind of magic resistance or similar (gold is after all supposed to be immutable and eternal) and a charisma bonus when interacting with nobility and royalty. Maybe a bonus with peasants too but it depends on how they live. It could just as easily impose a penalty if they live in abject poverty and here's you in your SOLID GOLD ARMOUR.

But yeah, in the real world the best you'd get is after you take the armour off, you've done the equivalent of the kung fu movie "Training with Weights" segment.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-16, 05:00 AM
Well, the malleability can be changed with "a wizard did it". More suitably, alchemically treated gold. Hard as iron, twice the weight, and a +2 circumstance on charisma checks. However, if a check fails to improve the mood, it automatically worsens one category.

dsmiles
2009-11-16, 05:09 AM
Well, it'd be useless and heavy.

One Word:

BINGO!

Pika...
2009-11-16, 05:16 AM
Thanks everyone!

I went with a little combination of multiple ideas. I was kinda wanting the "high fantasy" feel of it, though, I dislike going completely unrealistic.

After consulting my copy of Magic of Faerun (did not know that was in there...) I decided with the following for the chain shirt (with matching skirt?):

-AC Bonus is 2 instead of 4.
-Max Dex Modifier remains the same.
-Armor Check Penalty remains the same.
-Receive a +2 Bonus on Diplomacy Checks while dealing with "civilized" races/creatures, nobility, merchants, and commoners.
-Receives Resistance to Acid 2.
-Receives Resistance to Fire 2.

Thoughts please?

ps. True, as a DM I should take into account the situation of said commoners. Then again, I have had the pixie tinkling and dropping fairy dust like Tinkerbell, and in the last session a small Human girl pulled out a copy of the book Peter Pan, so I am not sure if this would affect her either way...

Khanderas
2009-11-16, 06:19 AM
Can a Pixie in gold armor even fly ?
I mean, gold is afterall almost 3 times as heavy as iron and even iron would be soemthing I have a hard time seeing a pixie fly in.

Coidzor
2009-11-16, 06:25 AM
^: depends on the weight it adds and the strength of the pixie, really.

Is that the magically enhanced to be as serviceable as steel and mithril and such gold or the regular old gold stuff that we can bite through and can't be used to add a touch of exoticness and larger weapon size damage dice to those things beatsticks use to beat?

As far as I can recall, gold is highly conductive, so I wouldn't exactly say it'd give a resistance to either fire or electricity... Can't remember acid either, but it is a rather unreactivenoble metal, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't react with acids.

If it's a chain shirt that also extends in a skirt to protect the legs, how's it different from a suit of chainmail? does it not cover the arms or is chainmail supposed to come with chain leggings for leg protection to count as a full suit?

Yuki Akuma
2009-11-16, 06:29 AM
If it's a chain shirt that also extends in a skirt to protect the legs, how's it different from a suit of chainmail? does it not cover the arms or is chainmail supposed to come with chain leggings for leg protection to count as a full suit?

Does it matter what the armour is fluffed to look like? Mechanically, it's a chain shirt.

Coidzor
2009-11-16, 06:33 AM
Does it matter what the armour is fluffed to look like? Mechanically, it's a chain shirt.

Mostly because it caused me to realize I couldn't remember what exactly it is that sets a suit of chainmail apart from a chain shirt in terms of components by raw.

Hmm.

Hide check penalty due to being rather glittery and such... Not that it matters to a pixie.

Edit: Ahh, it's gauntlets, not helmets or leg coverings.

Khanderas
2009-11-16, 06:50 AM
^: depends on the weight it adds and the strength of the pixie, really.

Is that the magically enhanced to be as serviceable as steel and mithril and such gold or the regular old gold stuff that we can bite through and can't be used to add a touch of exoticness and larger weapon size damage dice to those things beatsticks use to beat?

As far as I can recall, gold is highly conductive, so I wouldn't exactly say it'd give a resistance to either fire or electricity... Can't remember acid either, but it is a rather unreactivenoble metal, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't react with acids.
More concerned with bouyancy (sp), that is the pixies ability to get off the ground and stay airborne. Or does Str govern how much weight they can levitate with themselves ? In anycase, heavy load also means they will be less agile in the air.

As for gold being conductive to both heat and electricity. Yes.
Very few materials beyond NASA-grade special compounds conduct both easier then gold. Resist to acid absolutly. Gold is almost immune to acids.

Killer Angel
2009-11-16, 06:58 AM
All other things being equal, this man will have a higher diplomacy modifier than you.

Note to myself: never never never scroll threads while drinking...

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-16, 07:15 AM
Okay, crazy thought here: Same properties as a chain shirt (masterwork).

Consider the gold part is just yummy flavor. No + or -.

(Or if you would like, I can do some digging in my books for actual stats for golden armor)

Thespianus
2009-11-16, 07:29 AM
I mean, come on. It's a gold crazed Pixie! In a Gold Chain Shirt?! It's win- covered-win with a creamy win center!!

Never penalize a player for flavor, IMHO.

I would have absolutely, positively, no problems with statting the gold chain shirt as a mithral chain shirt, OR, just slap on a few acid resistance bonuses on the values for a normal chain shirt.

Why force an apparently wonderfully RPed Pixie for wearing a gold chain shirt, when it's kinda obvious that she could have a mithral chain shirt if she really wanted to?

As for "in a realistic setting, gold would be useless as armor"... well. it's a frackin' Pixie wearing it! :smallsmile:

My 2 cents.

ericgrau
2009-11-16, 07:32 AM
Why not just slap your player upside the forehead instead? It'll be more fun overall. That screws over the player pretty bad mechanically.

The material doesn't change how well it deflects the blow, i.e. how often the weapon hits it. It might have lower hardness against sundering, but that's about it. Either it gives full AC or, like clothing, it can't block a weapon at all. Like I said before the type of gold used on a doll would probably be 10 or 14 carat for practicality reasons so it wouldn't be ultra soft like pure gold. The material also doesn't affect how well your body resists energy types. Then again giving DR from adamantine also makes no sense, so adding energy resistance is fine and not unbalanced if you want. I'd keep the same AC and everything but maybe give it a 1 more point of armor check penalty for the added weight. Since it's likely to be masterwork simply because it's already so expensive, that makes its ACP the same as regular armor. That and the higher weight hurts, but even for a skillmonkey a -1 to certain skills isn't going to screw them over.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-16, 07:39 AM
Don't give it resistance to fire. Gold melts at a lower temperature than steel.

Do bump up the acid resistance. Gold doesn't tarnish or combine with other substances easily.

But yeah, it's going to go up a weight category, and have big penalties to Maximum Dexterity, ACP, and ASF.

ericgrau
2009-11-16, 07:43 AM
^ Good catch on the fire/acid.

It's ~3 times heavier for pure gold and only double weight assuming 14 carat gold. That's kinda like the reverse of mithral. So besides the ACP that would mean 2 less max dex and one category heavier. Depending on the player's class that could suck mechanically, so again you gotta figure out how to not slap the player upside the forehead or us tell her that sorry the armor isn't viable.

EDIT: IMO don't give flat skill boosts, as it seems contrived. Instead I'd give a +2 circumstance bonus to skills, probably most cha based skills, whenever it seems reasonable. If you want to be nice that could mean most of the time whenever playing the "face", but some creatures might not care if you wear gold armor. Or in a tactical situation someone might not care if you armor is gold or might even think you don't know what you're talking about (-2) because of it.

Arakune
2009-11-16, 07:46 AM
Only pure aluminum. There are common and reasonably priced alloys of aluminum as strong as mild steel. Or if you want to compare apples to apples - steel alloy to aluminum alloy - aluminum is about 1/3 as strong and 1/3 as heavy. But rigidity increases as the cube of thickness, so something 3 times thicker is 27 times more rigid. So you don't make it that thick, and you have a material that is lighter and more rigid. That makes it great for absorbing blows as plate mail or as chain mail rings while being more durable and weighing less. That is, you have mithral.

I'm inclined to say this is both awesome and interesting, imagine if a d&d char go to the modern world and see aluminum cans: "you make discartable cups of mythral??? :smalleek: "no, it's recyclable".

Keshay
2009-11-16, 10:12 AM
Instead of actual gold armor, have the smith made her mithral armor alloyed with just enough gold to give it that gold-like appearance. All stats same as mithral, with a lower chance to have ice freeze on teh surface or somethign (whatever the reason was Iron Man included gold in the titanium of the armor in the movie...).

The pixie really should not care what its made from so long as it pretty.

Also, anything heavier than a light load would decrease her flight speed and maneuverability (heck, I'd have even a light load drop maneuverability.)

On the topic of aluminium, did you know that the original capstone of the Washington Monument was a 100g cast of Aluminium? It was as valuable as silver at the time but only two years later the modern process of refinement was discovered, causing the once-lavish decoration to become worthless.

Ormagoden
2009-11-16, 10:18 AM
Okay, crazy thought here: Same properties as a chain shirt (masterwork).

Consider the gold part is just yummy flavor. No + or -.

(Or if you would like, I can do some digging in my books for actual stats for golden armor)

DING DING DING!

Person_Man
2009-11-16, 10:33 AM
This is essentially a major quest reward, and I would treat it as such. It should be superior to normal armor, and markedly so. Consider adding in a miss chance, a high unnamed bonus to Diplomacy (+5 to +10ish), a magical Light effect, etc.

What level are they anyway?

Kylarra
2009-11-16, 10:50 AM
Depending on level of the PCs Celestial Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#celestialArmor) is fluffed as being bright gold too...

jiriku
2009-11-16, 10:57 AM
Obviously, the half-elven smith, as a master of the craft, would never craft something useless. He'll probably take it as a challenge to find a way to make functional golden armor.

Ancient tribes in the Andes made a metal called tumbaga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumbaga) by alloying gold with copper (and sometimes other metals), then using a process called depletion gilding (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depletion_gilding) to wash all the nongold metals out of the surface of the finished object. The result was harder than copper but more malleable, yet had the surface appearance of pure gold (while being closer to the weight of copper). Your half-elven smith could easily blend mithral into the alloy to produce other qualities that would make a superior armor. I do believe the resulting metal should properly be called orichalcum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orichalcum).

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-16, 11:01 AM
Keep in mind the armor was for a doll originally.

Keshay
2009-11-16, 11:03 AM
Keep in mind the armor was for a doll originally.

Yes? That armor was returned to the villagers under the promise of a new suit of armor being made for the pixie. We're talking about a whole new set of armor here.

Otodetu
2009-11-16, 11:32 AM
Alloyed gold is really hard, softer than steel, sure, but as good as plain iron.

Fhaolan
2009-11-16, 11:36 AM
Obviously, the half-elven smith, as a master of the craft, would never craft something useless. He'll probably take it as a challenge to find a way to make functional golden armor.

Ancient tribes in the Andes made a metal called tumbaga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumbaga) by alloying gold with copper (and sometimes other metals), then using a process called depletion gilding (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depletion_gilding) to wash all the nongold metals out of the surface of the finished object. The result was harder than copper but more malleable, yet had the surface appearance of pure gold (while being closer to the weight of copper). Your half-elven smith could easily blend mithral into the alloy to produce other qualities that would make a superior armor. I do believe the resulting metal should properly be called orichalcum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orichalcum).

Concur. Have the half-elven smith play up Orichalcum as some special secret alloy of mithril and gold that only 3 other smiths in the world know (not necessarily true, but hey, it sounds cool). Have the pixie character observe/participate in a ritual that is part of the forging of the links of maille (again, just to play up the 'specialness' of the armour).

Stating it depends a lot on how much of quest reward it's supposed to be:

Nothing: Stat it as a masterwork maille shirt, that just happens to be gold in colour
At least it's something: Stat it as a mithril shirt, that just happens to be gold in colour.
Now it's getting somewhere: Stat it as a mithril shirt, with additional acid resistance and diplomacy bonus.
Here we go: As above, but the smith is a *real* Master Smith, with wizard/sorcerer levels, and has enchanted this thing with +1 or higher.

LibraryOgre
2009-11-16, 12:12 PM
Not 3.5e, but 2e's DMG had a list of specific modifiers for Gold armor (and armors made of a few other metals, as well). I don't have it on me to reference, however.

ericgrau
2009-11-16, 12:23 PM
Instead of actual gold armor, have the smith made her mithral armor alloyed with just enough gold to give it that gold-like appearance. All stats same as mithral, with a lower chance to have ice freeze on teh surface or somethign (whatever the reason was Iron Man included gold in the titanium of the armor in the movie...).

The pixie really should not care what its made from so long as it pretty.
The Iron Man movie just made up some alloy. A gold plated armor would strongly resist acid and rust. It would never need oiling, even, making it maintenance free until damaged. It makes perfect sense if you have an armor that you want to look nice for a very long time.

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-16, 12:34 PM
The Iron Man movie just made up some alloy. A gold plated armor would strongly resist acid and rust.

Bonus: Throw a rust monster at them and have her wrassle it.

Then she can totally take levels in reaping mauler.

Cause that's what the world needs. A shiny-distracted gold-plated reaping mauler pixie.

She could choke rats.

Keshay
2009-11-16, 12:36 PM
But, rust monsters can affect gold.

ericgrau
2009-11-16, 12:54 PM

Fight magic with magic and fix that :smalltongue:.

bosssmiley
2009-11-16, 03:04 PM

No, they can't. Gold (famously) doesn't tarnish or rust. It is imperishable, which is why it became such a iconic material for alchemists.

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-16, 03:12 PM

Listen, I don't care.

Pixie reaping mauler coated in gold.

SIGNS POINT TO YES. It's like the Oscar statuette beating the crap out of...something...the size...of the Oscar statuette. Yeah. That.

EDIT: Only with boobs!

kc0bbq
2009-11-16, 04:04 PM
Don't give it resistance to fire. Gold melts at a lower temperature than steel.

Do bump up the acid resistance. Gold doesn't tarnish or combine with other substances easily.Still dissolves in aqua regia; not generically immune to acid. And it dissolves in cyanide solutions, so you're trading one annoyance to keep track of with another annoyance to keep track of. Oh, it dissolves in mercury, so any dragon that breathes mercury thermometers at you is going to rain on your parade.

No, they can't. Gold (famously) doesn't tarnish or rust. It is imperishable, which is why it became such a iconic material for alchemists.I believe that in 3.5 the powers of the rust monster make no distinction in type of metal.

Gold has almost twice the density of lead. The armor would way far more than armor made of lead if it's pure gold.

MickJay
2009-11-16, 04:16 PM
If you're feeling generous, you could rule that the armor will randomly deflect any rays that hit it. +what others said.

Snails
2009-11-16, 04:57 PM
Well, I am not really sure why the realistic properties of gold should matter when dealing with armaments of a pixie.

Just make it MW chain shirt, item immune to damage by acid, acid resistance 5 to wearer.

That is worth something like 5k, in case you care.

Or if you really care about the "looking good" aspect, a +1 enhancement bonus to Cha would be weirdly fun.

LibraryOgre
2009-11-16, 05:07 PM
Well, I am not really sure why the realistic properties of gold should matter when dealing with armaments of a pixie.

Everyone has a different verisimilitude wall. For some folks, it's "I accept that pixies exist in this game, and they have attributes A, B, and C. However, gold exists in the real world, which has attribute D. How does attribute D interact with something that is A, B, C?"

Dimers
2009-11-16, 05:15 PM
-Receive a +2 Bonus on Diplomacy Checks while dealing with "civilized" races/creatures, nobility, merchants, and commoners.

Thoughts please?

I agree with Coidzor (et al.) about acid, fire and elec, so I'd make it Resist Acid 5, immune to rusting effects, no other bonuses.

Staying vaguely realistic while still making a decent item, yeah, the armor should be relatively low AC. It's pixie-sized and therefore thin, as well as naturally soft.

Brendan
2009-11-16, 05:51 PM
Maybe a SR of the level of the creator.
Also, if there was some epic spell that created a human size diamond, could one make a diamond suit of plate armor? what could it do? Definately a huge AC bonus. Unbreakable, see-through, so you probably need some other armor or covering underneath, and fairly heavy. Shiny, so hide penalty, but you reflect light, and so it effectively grants everyone within ten feet low light vision.

Snails
2009-11-16, 06:31 PM
Everyone has a different verisimilitude wall. For some folks, it's "I accept that pixies exist in this game, and they have attributes A, B, and C. However, gold exists in the real world, which has attribute D. How does attribute D interact with something that is A, B, C?"

Fair enough.

If one reads The Iliad, The Odyssey, Beowulf, Arthurian stories, etc., etc., when one finds a description of a "X of gold!" it is always unambiguously implied to be something of stupendously impressive quality. What is often ambiguous is exactly how much gold is in the object...and no one cares. The master craftsman figured that out off stage.

IMHO people are being way too literal, while visiting a universe that is much more fantastic than any of the above.

Glimbur
2009-11-16, 07:08 PM
one make a diamond suit of plate armor? what could it do? Definitely a huge AC bonus. Unbreakable, see-through, so you probably need some other armor or covering underneath, and fairly heavy. Shiny, so hide penalty, but you reflect light, and so it effectively grants everyone within ten feet low light vision.

There's more to being a tough material than just Hardness. Just because diamond is the hardest thing we know of does not mean it is unbreakable. It most likely cannot propagate dislocations through the matrix which means it is quite brittle. With a sufficient hammer and enough force your fancy armor could be a pile of shiny dust, while a metal plate would just dent severely.

On topic: You've got realism v Rule of Cool here. Pick a side and stick with it.

Brendan
2009-11-16, 09:08 PM
The metal hammer would either knock you back and be dented, or the hammer part would break off and shoot out a bit of shrapnel.

sambo.
2009-11-16, 09:19 PM
my $0.02:
gold armour should be very heavy and it should have a worse AC bonus and a higher dex penalty than normal (coz it's so soft). it should also give HUGE penalties to hiding.

on the plus side: a minor bonus to diplomacy type skills, the armour is immune to acid and rustmonsters.

http://www.searchviews.com/wp-content/themes/clean-copy-full-3-column-1/images/bling.jpg

MY EYEZ, ZEY BURN!

Worira
2009-11-16, 09:27 PM
The metal hammer would either knock you back and be dented, or the hammer part would break off and shoot out a bit of shrapnel.

Or, much more likely, your diamond armour would shatter.

erikun
2009-11-16, 11:16 PM
I would rule +3 AC (rather than +4) and +3 Max Dex Bonus (rather than +4). It actually comes out to the same AC anyways, assuming she has 18+ Dex.

Resist Acid 5, but no fire resistance. Actually, chain mail wouldn't really resist acid (as it would just pass though the rings) but it makes the armor spiffy. And it's all about the spiffiness.

On the other hand, if we're talking about a master craftsman who's been working with gold for 2000+ years, I think he'd be capable of making armor that's more than just ornamental. I'd rule the half-elf makes it a gold-allow armor, with no penalities compared to a regular chain shirt, the diplomancy (circumstance) bonus, resist acid 5, and masterwork quality.

[edit] And the immunity to rusting. I mean, technically a rust monster can eat gold coins, but losing your extra-special, unique armor like that would majorly suck.