PDA

View Full Version : Druid who REALLY likes its companion

Adamaro
2009-11-16, 07:36 AM
Just roleplay wise I am thinking of this half-orc character (an ugly female druid) who REALLY likes her wolf companion. (a stunning animal of snow-white fur and red eyes)
I wonder if such behavior would be normal, regarding druid code? I like the idea, because it really puts a line between city-folks and nature-bound druids. (and freaks out other PCs a bit :-D) But I am not sure, how do druids look upon such "relaxation of tension". After all, there are so many half- creatures in D&D worlds, that some animal-human relationship should not be all that odd. Or would be? (according to druid lore ...)

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-16, 07:43 AM
It would be looked on as barbaric at best and probably cause social problems.

Now, to really mess with the other players, I'd make her a stunning beauty b any races standards, and yet STILL prefer her wolves company.

Prime32
2009-11-16, 07:45 AM
This + Wildshape = where worgs come from

Seracain
2009-11-16, 07:46 AM
It would depend on the setting, and the DM.

BooNL
2009-11-16, 07:47 AM
I feel sorry I looked at this thread...

Closak
2009-11-16, 07:51 AM
Hey, if dragons can do it...

Kaiyanwang
2009-11-16, 07:58 AM

THIS is a good point!

Grumman
As far as I'm concerned, no dragon would ever lower themselves to reproducing with anything worse than a humanoid. Any claims to the contrary are simply slanderous propaganda against our scaled bretheren.

Vizzerdrix

Means nothing. A dragon can back up its... lifestyle with a raging torrent of hellfire. A Druid, while having the magic to prove their point, wouldn't stand much of a chance in the long run. Not only that, who cares what a dragon does. It isn't "people"

As for the RP, I say do it! Book of Exotic fantasy might prove useful in this situation.

Killer Angel
2009-11-16, 08:08 AM
Just roleplay wise I am thinking of this half-orc character (an ugly female druid) who REALLY likes her wolf companion. (a stunning animal of snow-white fur and red eyes)
I wonder if such behavior would be normal, regarding druid code?

Isn't the standard behaviour of optimized druids? :smalltongue:
After all, when you pass a lot of time in wildshape form, your humanoid instinct probably fades away...

That said, a little disturbing but a great and funny idea ('til the others players are not too much unconfortable with it).
I need to elaborate it for my next PC... :smallwink:

Rettu Skcollob
2009-11-16, 08:25 AM
Oh OP I love you so much. This thread has just made my day. I must retain this idea for future trolling on /tg/ or my gaming group, oh gods I can't stop laughing.

GallóglachMaxim
2009-11-16, 08:40 AM
Isn't 'interspecies erotica' the power source for druids in 4E?

SparkMandriller
2009-11-16, 08:40 AM
Are you going to upgrade your companion to a dinosaur when you get to a high enough level?

Rettu Skcollob
2009-11-16, 08:51 AM

Haha, oh wow can't stop laughing curse you

Shnezz
2009-11-16, 08:51 AM
Moving past the "OhGodMyEyesAreBurningGougeThemOut" moments I just had, to an actual comment, if the party members minded, they might try to get rid of you. And if they didn't mind, then you're not really being funny, and just doing it for your own twisted pleasure. Which may be what you're going for. :smalleek:

Akisa
2009-11-16, 09:05 AM
As far as I'm concerned, no dragon would ever lower themselves to reproducing with anything worse than a humanoid. Any claims to the contrary are simply slanderous propaganda against our scaled bretheren.

So where do half dragon wolves come from?

Means nothing. A dragon can back up its... lifestyle with a raging torrent of hellfire. A Druid, while having the magic to prove their point, wouldn't stand much of a chance in the long run. Not only that, who cares what a dragon does. It isn't "people"

As for the RP, I say do it! Book of Exotic fantasy might prove useful in this situation.

You saying a Druid can't back it up? There is a reason why there is a capital D in CoDillza ;)

Grumman
2009-11-16, 09:09 AM
So where do half dragon wolves come from?
They don't exist.

Simba
2009-11-16, 09:12 AM
They don't exist.

But there are draconic wolves :)

Shnezz
2009-11-16, 09:14 AM
But there are draconic wolves :)

The Draconic Wolves are a lie. :smallsigh:

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-16, 09:30 AM
You saying a Druid can't back it up? There is a reason why there is a capital D in CoDillza ;)

Against his entire grove/village? No a druid can't without extreme measures.

Interspecies relations that can produce no offspring is unnatural. I doubt many other druids will share the "free love" ethic.

Hmm... Lycanthropy leaves a grey area here for me...

Shnezz
2009-11-16, 09:32 AM
So THAT explains the noises the PCs have been hearing when the moon is full... And why the druid vanishes. :smalleek:

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-16, 09:42 AM
I just thought of a.... Disturbing problem you may have to deal with:smalleek:

Umm.... I'll post it in white so as not to offend by accident. The squeemish should avoid:

Be mindful of ambushes while tied.

Safe again, but is something you should look out for. :smallredface:

You could be questing to find some way to make your pet intelligent/ become a real wolf yourself.

Dacia Brabant
2009-11-16, 09:44 AM
Just say you're trying to make a werewolf that doesn't have the curse of lycanthropy. Or make your companion a horse instead and say it's an experiment in where centaurs come from.

Alternatively, say that your druidic sect is one that REALLY believes that animals are people too.

And with that, I go to scrub my brain.

Killer Angel
2009-11-16, 09:55 AM
if the party members minded, they might try to get rid of you. And if they didn't mind, then you're not really being funny, and just doing it for your own twisted pleasure. Which may be what you're going for. :smalleek:

So, either way is a bad idea?
In RL, I would find the concept really creepy and disgusting.
In a RPG, I would find it justifiable (after all, a druid can effectively shape change, becoming an animal) and interesting. My PC would be slightly unconfortable in adventuring with such a druid, and I'm sure a lot of puns will be thrown at the druid.
You know, there's a lot of field between "I don't care at all", and "what a pervertion, get away!"

Interspecies relations that can produce no offspring is unnatural. I doubt many other druids will share the "free love" ethic.

If you (as a DM) don't like the concept, you can say no. But if you like it, there are a lot of ways the whole thing can became justifiable. For example: you can say this that such "deviant" druids exist, and they form a group by themselves (shunned but not haunted by other druids).

Grumman
2009-11-16, 10:03 AM
(after all, a druid can effectively shape change, becoming an animal)
They can become animal-shaped, but they're still a sapient being, while their animal companion has 1-2 Int. Hence why I said I see a difference between a dragon changing to humanoid form and... having relations with a humanoid or an outsider or whatever, and doing the same thing with an animal.

Tengu_temp
2009-11-16, 10:05 AM
Is it consensual from the animal companion's side? You can't really get consent from an animal in real life, but in DND you have plenty of ways to communicate with them - and if it's consensual then sure, it's okay. Kinda weird, but no more weird than Lich Loved.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-11-16, 10:13 AM
I just thought of a.... Disturbing problem you may have to deal with:smalleek:

Umm.... I'll post it in white so as not to offend by accident. The squeemish should avoid:

[Edited out]

Safe again, but is something you should look out for. :smallredface:

You could be questing to find some way to make your pet intelligent/ become a real wolf yourself.

Oh God the lulz... This thread... OH GODS THIS THREAD HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Akisa
2009-11-16, 10:18 AM
They can become animal-shaped, but they're still a sapient being, while their animal companion has 1-2 Int. Hence why I said I see a difference between a dragon changing to humanoid form and... having relations with a humanoid or an outsider or whatever, and doing the same thing with an animal.

A dragon can also become wolf shape and breed with the wolf to make half dragon wolves.

Guinea Anubis
2009-11-16, 10:21 AM
I love this idea, its Disturbing enought to make me want to have an NPC druid show up in the game I am DMing

kamikasei
2009-11-16, 10:21 AM
A dragon can also become wolf shape and breed with the wolf to make half dragon wolves.

Yes, but it'll still be a highly intelligent being coupling with an animal, which is the part Grumman's objecting to. (When he says "the same thing", change both instances of 'humanoid' to 'animal', not just the second.)

Kinda weird, but no more weird than Lich Loved.

Yeah... but Lich Loved is a Vile feat. Not the best comparison.

golentan
2009-11-16, 10:26 AM
Is it consensual from the animal companion's side? You can't really get consent from an animal in real life, but in DND you have plenty of ways to communicate with them - and if it's consensual then sure, it's okay. Kinda weird, but no more weird than Lich Loved.

Yeah. I finally gave up on the shear volume of potential and implied perversion in DnD, and am just rolling with it. Consider the following: Undead, Cross-phyla romances, romances with people 3 feet tall, Shapechanging, Mind control, Disease immunities, instant wound healing, and many, many more potential Power Perversions.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you: Roleplayers. In every. Single. Painful. Sense. Of the word.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-16, 10:35 AM
I'd allow it in my games, with the caveat that NPCs would react realistically to you. Meaning you'd be shunned by the majority of them that know, there would be a few Knights Templar-style Druids intent on killing you for your offenses, and your life would generally be just a bit harder. But it would be allowed, and I'd probably look for ways to reward you for it.

Renchard
2009-11-16, 10:36 AM
It's a shame WotC stopped their 3.5 product line before "Races of Fur Suits" was released.

Killer Angel
2009-11-16, 10:41 AM
They can become animal-shaped, but they're still a sapient being, while their animal companion has 1-2 Int.

Is it consensual from the animal companion's side? You can't really get consent from an animal in real life, but in DND you have plenty of ways to communicate with them

The Druids' counsel long time ago decreted that no druid will have relationship against nature with their companion.
If the druid "loves" his companion, he will Awaken him, and they will party together as sentient beings, free to choose. The druid will lose his Companion, and will eventually find a Partner.
(obviously, as a DM, i would immensely like to play an awaken jealuos female bear... :smallbiggrin:)

Fishy
2009-11-16, 10:44 AM
I just feel the need to point out that the Valenar elves from Eberron have the Siyal Marrain (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20051114a), a sect of druids dedicated to breeding horses.

And that no one outside of the sect knows exactly what their secret horse-breeding technique is.

ghashxx
2009-11-16, 11:10 AM
Back when I was running a druid I had this problem to consider, though in a slightly different light. I was playing an awakened enlarged squirrel druid. Playing a 3' tall squirrel who can wildshape, and even better use the faceless form, or whatever it's called, to look like any other magical animal, made life interesting. Whether I had romance with humans or animals it seemed like, to the character, it would be the same thing either way. I ended up just avoiding the whole thing, though the temptations were huge to just run with the ridiculousness. "Hey there elf babe, I bet you've never been with a squirrel before."

The Druids' counsel long time ago decreted that no druid will have relationship against nature with their companion.
If the druid "loves" his companion, he will Awaken him, and they will party together as sentient beings, free to choose. The druid will lose his Companion, and will eventually find a Partner.
(obviously, as a DM, i would immensely like to play an awaken jealuos female bear... :smallbiggrin:)

Interesting point.

Jergmo
2009-11-16, 11:31 AM

Red dragons are known to make whoopie with anything, purely out of curiosity as to what will result.

OBJECTION! Male animals are pretty much up for mating with anything and are always ready to.

In any case, I think it'd be a matter of sapience. If it were an Awakened wolf, then I reckon the other druids would be okay with it, y'know?

Myou
2009-11-16, 11:58 AM
Women having sex = ew

Beastiality = eeww

Female druid doing her wolf companion = Save against insanity.

TheThan
2009-11-16, 11:58 AM
And with that, I go to scrub my brain.

here ya go! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131718)

Zaq
2009-11-16, 12:03 PM
Now the question is, is this weirder if Wild Shape is involved, or if it is not involved?

But yeah, I can't see this being an uncommon practice among Druids. The whole "one with nature" thing... yeah. The only question is what the kids will look like.

t_catt11
2009-11-16, 12:04 PM
Well, if you can set aside the "ick factor", this whole concept is very logical and believable in a game.

Of course, it *is* a big ick factor...

Kulture
2009-11-16, 12:05 PM
Don't make it obvious in characterisation, but slowly shuffle towards it in an inconspicuous manner, dropping subtle hints.
At first the party will just think it's nothing,then slowly, but surely they'll make a grim realisation.
It's funnier when there's a slow reveal, as opposed to the Lockso, the Warlock clown method of shouting out "I do Liquid Pain!" every 5 minutes.

Kurald Galain
2009-11-16, 12:07 PM

This would be par for the course for Werewolf: the Apolalypse :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2009-11-16, 12:14 PM
This was actually how werewolves were created in one of my games (actually it;s my default if it's not "a god did it", my werewolves are also not always CE unless afflicted).

Even worse I had one character who gained the ability to turn into a bat and decided to find out what would happen if he polymorphed a rat and things got freaky... thankfully we never found out. Although now I'm tempted to create intelligent winged rats... I need brain bleach (and yes I know it's been linked already).

UglyPanda
2009-11-16, 12:21 PM
Ewww...

And more ewww...

Animals are non-sapient, it's essentially animal cruelty. I don't have any objections against allowing it in the game in the same sense that I don't have any objections against Kobold xenocide.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-16, 12:29 PM
Now the question is, is this weirder if Wild Shape is involved, or if it is not involved?

But yeah, I can't see this being an uncommon practice among Druids. The whole "one with nature" thing... yeah. The only question is what the kids will look like.Like this (http://spooky-kitty.deviantart.com/art/Wolfess-53268895). Or this (http://media.photobucket.com/image/female%20werewolf%20underworld/WolvenDarkDesires/character%20race%20pictures/VeronikaMmish.jpg). Or possibly this (http://www.hzeeland.nl/~sipi0002/WereWolf.jpg).

And which of the 3 you'd make the kid look like says a lot about whether or not I'd allow it. Furry, not likely. The other 2 are reasonable. And even if I did allow someone who wanted the furry one, I'd make sure their kid didn't look like a human with a couple oddities.

LibraryOgre
2009-11-16, 12:36 PM

Yep. From now on, Gallo gets called "The Sexy Stud." :smallbiggrin:

That said, I somewhat like the idea that this is where worgs come from. I might also argue lycanthropes, especially given that the female is humanoid (and the shpae-changer).

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-11-16, 12:37 PM
I feel the need to put forth the arcane heirophant's companion familiar which is in fact sentient. . .

or a tibbit and their cat familiar. . .

also. . . brain bleach is needed. . . very much so. . . yay for brain bleach. . .

Longcat
2009-11-16, 12:59 PM
This thread reminds me somewhat of 4chan :smallbiggrin:

That said, I as a DM wouldn't have any objections against it, although people would react accordingly.

Roland St. Jude
2009-11-16, 01:19 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Upon further review and consideration, this thread is not really appropriate for this forum.