PDA

View Full Version : Going Full Circle

golentan
2009-11-16, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I know how bad this is for me, and how much I'll probably regret it tomorrow.

But my sleep cycle got shifted so far from a reasonable time (going to sleep at 3-4 in the morning) that I decided simply to stay up all night and most of tomorrow and go to bed at a reasonable hour, hopefully resetting my internal clock.

Anyone else ever have to do this? I'm regretting it already (on my second cup of coffee, want so badly just to go to sleep, and there's only so much stuff one can do to pass the time before even the bakeries have started thinking about opening). But I still think it's better than spending half my daylight hours in the middle of the night.

Jack Squat
2009-11-16, 08:52 AM
I've done it once or twice. Well, I've pulled all-nighters anyways (some for fun)- never had to reset my internal clock (yet).

Remember to eat every now and then, drink plenty, and do something interesting, or at least something you have to think about some (i.e. don't sit there and watch soaps).

HotAndCold
2009-11-16, 08:58 AM
I guess it says something about me that I view 3-4 as still within the parameters of "a reasonable time". But I am wrestling with my own internal clock as of late. My unreasonable time just happens to be around 7 AM.

Syka
2009-11-16, 09:32 AM
I found that just knocking back your sleep time by half an hour to an hour tends to work. I've also shocked and awed my body to a reasonable time.

From about January to April of this year I'd regularly go to bed around 2-3 in the morning. When I got a job at the end of March, I ended up working mostly first shift (7am-3pm) and my clock reset itself to going to bed at 11. Even on days I didn't work, I'd be tired by 10 and asleep by 11, and up by 8:30 or 9. Now that I'm back to usually working evenings and having evening classes, I tend to go to bed between 12am and 1:30am and wake around 10 or so.

It's just a matter of slow shifts.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-11-16, 09:39 AM
I've never had a normal sleep cycle. I don't go long periods without sleep, or with sleep. I'm like a cat. 3-4 hours awake, 3-4 asleep, repeat. I just do that through the night and day.

golentan
2009-11-16, 09:51 AM
Heh. Yeah.

I'm going to go to my favorite coffee shop in half an hour (open at 7:30) then drop off my paperwork at the office and chat with the boss-man a bit.

I'm having plenty to drink (and not just the dehydrating diuretics that are caffeinated beverages) and had second dinner a couple hours ago (I sound like a hobbit).

@Syka: I tried that. I wound up going to sleep at the exact same time.

SurlySeraph
2009-11-16, 11:07 AM
I've done this more times than I wish. Get as much sleep as you can tomorrow night, you'll need it. And I hope you don't have anything important today.

Reinboom
2009-11-16, 11:20 AM
I do this regularly.
I had to do it two weeks ago (or maybe it was last week?). I'm doing it today. Usually occurs to me at least twice a month.

golentan
2009-11-16, 01:09 PM
I've done this more times than I wish. Get as much sleep as you can tomorrow night, you'll need it. And I hope you don't have anything important today.

Nah, set my own hours. Today I just turned in paperwork and have nothing else slated.

This is sort of a last resort thing.

Miklus
2009-11-16, 01:16 PM
I have done this plenty of times. I wait for the baker to open, eat breakfeast and then become so tired that I simply have to go to sleep...Then the rythm is REALLY screwed up.

Kneenibble
2009-11-16, 01:27 PM
The wheel has come full circle: here I am. *dies*

When going without sleep -- more often for me this involves schoolwork than resetting the internal clock -- I find that eating anything immediately drains away alertness unless it is very light and raw. Anything from the bakery is a carbohydrate coma waiting to happen. Caffeine diuretics have seriously diminishing, even inverted returns once the sun starts to rise and I avoid them. It goes best if I just drink much water and eat a little fruit or a few almonds every couple hours.

The problem I get when resetting the internal clock in this manner is that I pass out around 9 or 10 pm, but then awake about 2 am totally wired and unable to get back to sleep until at least after dawn, and then if I do, sleep too late to go to bed early again.

*cites that Calvin & Hobbes comic where the punchline is, "My internal clock is on Tokyo time"*

Poor, poor golentan.
*sits on shoulder and tweets sweet birdie music*

golentan
2009-11-16, 02:41 PM
Poor, poor golentan.
*sits on shoulder and tweets sweet birdie music*

Aww, thank you. In my deluded, semi-hallucinating state I can actually hear it.

Which makes a nice change from my normal sleep deprivation auditory solutions: the Ringtone for my boss. I keep diving around looking for my cellphone, find it. It's almost always in my head, so I go sit on the roof, shake my fist at the sky, and shout "THAT'S A LOUSY THING TO DO" which makes the neighbors start complaining.

Or maybe it's the parakeets downstairs, but my hearing isn't normally that good.

I find sugar more helpful than other stuff actually. Glucose = Instant Brain Energy.

golentan
2009-11-16, 05:32 PM
Hey guys: Update. Vigorous, exciting exercise keeps you awake better. I've been practicing flips for freerunning on my mat, and no longer feel that tired. Unfortunately, I'm now hot and sweaty. Sounds sexy yes? Sadly, I'm also nauseous.

And no, that's Nauseous not Nauseating. You know who you are.

Mr. Mud
2009-11-16, 05:38 PM
Wahoo for Parkour!

And with the sugar, and super cardio/general workout that is freerunning, you're on a collision course with conking out. DON'T GIVE IN GOL! :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

golentan
2009-11-16, 05:42 PM
Wahoo for Parkour!

And with the sugar, and super cardio/general workout that is freerunning, you're on a collision course with conking out. DON'T GIVE IN GOL! :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

MINE IS THE DRILL THAT WILL PIERCE THE EXHAUSTION!!!!

Seriously, I once went a full week without sleeping, running entirely on terror, tepid tea, and jerky. I think I can make it through this, even if I get a little loopy 30 hours in or so. I feel pretty good right now, except for the nausea from practicing 50 running rolls, and I'm keeping my hydration and slow burn energy up as well as my adrenaline and sugar rush.

Thajocoth
2009-11-16, 06:05 PM
I've done it a few times... In a row...

Whenever I stay up the whole day to sleep at a normal time, something winds up keeping me up again the following day, like work, shifting my schedule back to late.

centuriancode
2009-11-17, 02:44 AM
I did this twice when I went overseas for a month. It worked really well for killing jet lag, though it started to suck around 6:30 pm local time of wherever I was.

Don't give in! YOU CAN DO IT! or some such supportive message.

Dispozition
2009-11-17, 02:59 AM
I've done it at times, others I've just struggled through with a ridiculous body clock. All nighters don't normally screw up my body clock too badly though since I can get a decent 36 hours before I start to die.

EndlessWrath
2009-11-17, 03:09 AM
I pulled 5 1/2 days straight. We had three slumber parties/ crash at friends houses..in a row... and then we had the wonderful summertime homework due the next day. Yay!
(Edit: The 5th day was for class, and the half a day was to get sleep track back on schedule.. that is all)
Goodluck my friend. I've basically gotten into the rhythm of staying up all night. till 9am. sleep till 11am. then go about my day. Probably not the healthiest of choices but I crash on saturday
-Wrath.

golentan
2009-11-17, 12:03 PM
Well, I made it. I went to sleep at sundown and overslept a bit till just before 9.

I'm assuming future attempts at a normal sleep cycle won't involve ~14 hours of sleep, but hopefully my body's clock has reset.

Kneenibble
2009-11-17, 12:16 PM
Good, golentan! If it's your desire to do so, and it must be, I hope you can stick to it.
*sits in hair/antennas and tweets a gentle good morning birdie song*

I think the most fun part about sleep deprivation is the hallucination. I don't hear anything so awful as a boss's cellphone ring though. Or so lovely as parakeets. The least fun part is feeling translucent, empty, and not fully real.

Do you notice that people take a certain grim, massochistic pride in renouncing sleep? or having poor sleep habits? With another necessity like food, it's a disorder and a shame, but with sleep, it's like a dark badge of strength. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Salvation is not possible for the yogi(ni) who sleeps too much, or too little.

Starscream
2009-11-17, 12:31 PM
I do this a lot. Over the summer I was working nights on the weekends, and this was my way of not spending the entire week out of phase with the world in general. I'd spend Monday shambling around like a zombie, then be fine.

golentan
2009-11-17, 12:45 PM
Good, golentan! If it's your desire to do so, and it must be, I hope you can stick to it.
*sits in hair/antennas and tweets a gentle good morning birdie song*

I think the most fun part about sleep deprivation is the hallucination. I don't hear anything so awful as a boss's cellphone ring though. Or so lovely as parakeets. The least fun part is feeling translucent, empty, and not fully real.

Do you notice that people take a certain grim, massochistic pride in renouncing sleep? or having poor sleep habits? With another necessity like food, it's a disorder and a shame, but with sleep, it's like a dark badge of strength. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Salvation is not possible for the yogi(ni) who sleeps too much, or too little.

Why, thank you, Knee.

Yeah, I've noticed that a lot about people. I try to get a proper amount of sleep (8 hours), but when people pull out the tough guy routine it can be fun to mock them.

Thankfully, though, I'm not a Yogi. So even if I mess up salvation should be possible.