PDA

View Full Version : [GURPS 4e] Banestorm mock combats

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-16, 09:19 AM
This is a separate thread for the players in my Banestorm game (see sig). The aim is to run through a few mock combats for the benefit of those in the group with little or no GURPS experience. The purpose is to give a feel for how combat works before their actual PCs are on the line for real.

Although I expect there will be some Q&A here, the actual combats should be "IC", so I'm creating this thread in the Ongoing Games (In-Character) section. If this is deemed incorrect, then my apologies and naturally I expect the mods will move it.

EDIT: Mock Combat 1 finished in 15 seconds.
EDIT: Mock Combat 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7375175#post7375175) finished in 3 seconds!
EDIT: Mock Combat 3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7386501#post7386501) finished in 8 seconds.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-16, 09:49 AM
First up will be NamelessArchon's character, Eniarch.

Mock Combat 1

Right then NA, the thick black border on the map is stone wall, and should be considered impassible. Your opponent is wielding an axe, and appears to be unarmoured.

Map link. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Eniarch%20MC1%20%5E5start%5E6.PNG) (I haven't linked directly to the image, as the way Windows Live works, the image URL can change/reset dynamically and therefore the link would break).
Unless you'd like to enter the arena with a rock in hand, we can assume that you have your staff Ready for combat from the start. You should note however (this also goes for the other staff-carrying PCs too) that if you enter combat unexpectedly, your staff might not be Ready, as I would assume that it normally carried one-handed for walking.

Eniarch will go first. Any questions?

NamelessArchon
2009-11-16, 06:49 PM
Eniarch will go first. Any questions?Sure:

1. Magic states that at a skill of 15, spells permit a move of one yard per second while Concentrating. (Magic, p. 8, skill of 15) Is that in addition to the one-yard step maneuver permitted by Concentrate regardless of skill level, or is that indicating that spells known at 14 or lower do not permit the step to be taken at all? If the former, can this movement be split, in case it should matter? (eg. move+concentrate, step vs. step, move+concentrate)

2. I'd assume the thug also has his axe ready for use and thus in front of him and obvious: What sort of axe is it, as the question has immediate practical value?

3. Will you have the Valkyries standing by so I don't have to wait in queue? :smallbiggrin:

--

Eniarch tightens his grip on the staff as he strides to take his place in the sands and prepares to personally test his convictions about the hereafter. He nods grimly to his opponent to begin, and then drops immediately into the harsh, guttural words of a spell, all the while circling left and backing away to preserve distance between himself and the thug clutching the axe...

[OOC: Which spell will vary on the answer to #2, which should be obvious if his opponent also starts in the Ready position.

If it's a one-handed axe, Spasm will potentially cause him to drop it, and would be finished at the end of my turn, if I understand right. If it's a two-handed axe, it won't drop the axe (I assume that it would unready it) so I'd be using Rooted Feet instead.

Eniarch will Concentrate, while stepping/moving back and to his left.]

Spellcast: [roll0]

NamelessArchon
2009-11-16, 06:51 PM
/sigh. Forum roller parses the rolls on preview and edits them to another tag (roll0) instead of just rolling on submit only. Mea culpa.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-16, 07:38 PM
1. Magic states that at a skill of 15, spells permit a move of one yard per second while Concentrating. (Magic, p. 8, skill of 15) Is that in addition to the one-yard step maneuver permitted by Concentrate regardless of skill level, or is that indicating that spells known at 14 or lower do not permit the step to be taken at all? If the former, can this movement be split, in case it should matter? (eg. move+concentrate, step vs. step, move+concentrate)

Interesting. My prior exp with Magic is limited, so I looked this up (thx for page number) and compared it to the section on Concentrate (p.B366). Page 8 of Magic would imply to me that a step is only possible whilst Concentrating on a spell at skill 15+ and that no step is possible with skill <15. (It would seem very odd otherwise, because that would mean that a wizard Concentrating on a spell s/he knows well could walk twice as fast as when they are testing any other mundane mental skill.)

2. I'd assume the thug also has his axe ready for use and thus in front of him and obvious: What sort of axe is it, as the question has immediate practical value?

Yes, assume the axe is ready. The thug is wielding it in his right hand. It would appear to be a one-handed axe bigger than a hatchet, and invariably a weapon rather than a simple tool.

3. Will you have the Valkyries standing by so I don't have to wait in queue? :smallbiggrin:

I didn't know that Eniarch was that sort of heathen :smallwink:

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-16, 08:05 PM
Eniarch's first turn

Eniarch's use of the words seemed correct, but perhaps his mental control wasn't quite effective enough at that distance. Whatever the reason, the spell failed.

The range to the target (5 yards after the Step) means that effective skill reduced to 10 (Magic p.11) and the roll of 13 was not low enough, sorry. The failure will cost 1 point of energy, reducing Eniarch to 10 FP.

As for the movement, I hope I've understood correctly and you wanted what GURPS calls a sidestep left (which is what I've done on map). If not I can change it.
---

Axe Thug's first turn

The thug lets out a wordless roar, and charges at Eniarch. His axe swings wildly, passing through the space where Eniarch used to be, as the man closes the distance dramatically.

Move and Attack manoeuvre (up to full move, -4 to skill, max level 9)
*clatter*
The dice roll is 12, which fails.
---

Map updated. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Eniarch%20MC1-1.PNG)

---

NamelessArchon
2009-11-16, 08:47 PM
Cursing mentally, Eniarch whirls away from the thug, this time circling to his right and away from the hand with the axe. I'm not going to get many more chances at this. The words of power rise again, a bit more hurriedly this time.

[OOC: Spasm, Range 1]

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-16, 10:27 PM
[OOC: regarding movement]
I kinda had to guess what you wanted movement-wise, as I'm afraid your dramatic description isn't technically precise enough. It would help if you put specifics into the spoiler, such as:

Step into front-right hex and turn left one facing.
---

Eniarch's second turn

Eniarch feels the power reach out towards the all-too-close thug, battling against the other man's vigorous lifeforce. It is a mere fraction of time, but one that seems to move so slowly. Then it is done; the targeted hand twitches, and the axe falls to the floor.

The spell succeeded, but is Resisted by the target's HT in a Quick Contest.
*clatter*
The dice roll is 10, however the margin of success is less than 3 (11<14), so the spell wins.

IIRC that should also cost 1FP.
---

Axe Thug's second turn

With an angry grimace the thug lunges towards Eniarch, arms outstretched. By pure accident, Eniarch steps on the thug's right foot, causing the man to mis-step slightly and foiling his attempted grapple. Eniarch realises that his opponent's guard is momentarily open.

Attack manoeuvre
Step into close combat and grapple
*clatter*
The dice roll is 17, a critical failure in this instance.
*clatter*
Guard is dropped: all Active Defences at -2 for next turn. This is obvious to nearby opponents (i.e. Eniarch).
---

Map updated. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Eniarch%20MC1-2.PNG)

---

[OOC: next turn]
Note: even though the Thug's attack failed, you are still in close combat (range C). This means that your quarterstaff is severely hampered at this range. Should you want to use it, I would advise taking a Step backwards as your movement before attacking. OTOH, if you wanted to touch him for some reason, then now he's close enough to try :smallwink:

NamelessArchon
2009-11-17, 09:45 AM
Ah. More than one error made there. Let's see how far he can reach without that axe in his hand. Eniarch spits an altogether different hex at the thug, as though he were making a physical riposte, then steps nimbly away from the clumsy grapple.

[OOC: Stepping backwards, same facing, Eniarch casts Rooted Feet][roll0]

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-17, 11:05 AM
Eniarch's third turn

The spell seems to have held the thug's feet in place, for the moment.

The casting succeeds, but Rooted Feet is Resisted by ST (again a Quick Contest). This costs Eniarch 2 energy IIRC, leaving him 7 FP.
*clatter*
The dice roll is 12, a failure in this case.

As the spell description states, thug will be at -2 to any melee attack he can make, and dodge is halved. This last for 1 minute, unless the target breaks free.
---

Axe Thug's third turn

"Come here you coward!" The thug screams, as he tries in vain to move towards Eniarch.

Although the spell is not explicit on this point, I would consider attempting to break free as equivalent to a Ready manoeuvre
Attempt is QC of ST-5 vs 10<14 (original spell roll)
*clatter*
The dice roll 13, another failure, which was to be expected (but seemed IC for a person finding their feet stuck to try at least once really)
---

Map updated.
(http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Eniarch%20MC1-3.PNG)
---

NamelessArchon
2009-11-17, 01:25 PM
Plant your feet, pivot from the hips, swing with the body, follow through... Recalling the meager lessons at staff combat with which Claudius provided him, Eniarch whips the staff around to deliver a blow to his opponent.

[OOC: Attack, then a backwards step out of the thug's reach if the staff has sufficient reach (IIRC, Staff is reach 1,2 but IDHMBWM) and otherwise no step - I don't want to be out of staff reach.][roll0]

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-17, 02:14 PM
Eniarch's fourth turn

Eniarch's staff swings round at the thug, who attempts to ward the blow with his left arm.

Yes, the staff has Reach 1,2 so you can take a Step. That said, you'll want to avoid be trapped against the wall with such a long weapon, especially not get stuck in the corner.

Try to specify whether thrust or swing in your OOC details - I'm assuming the latter in this case from your IC text. Also, we're using hit location rules, so remember to specify if you are aiming for a location other than the torso - which I'll assume otherwise.

*clatter*
The Parry roll is 7, which fails. As we are using hit locations, you now have the choice of whether to redirect your attack onto the left arm instead of the torso. Decide which you want to hit, and roll damage. Then I'll continue :smallsmile:

NamelessArchon
2009-11-17, 02:37 PM
1. Swing, yes and at the torso - a left arm hit on a right handed thug using a one-handed axe doesn't gain me much.

Also, swing would be the general default for me - thrust damage is less and Eniarch isn't a very physically strong guy anyway, so I'll have to take my points of damage where I can get them! I meant it to be a swing, so we're kosher there, and it would be a rare case where I tried for a specific location with Eniarch's rather low staff skill!

2. The step would be back and to the right to the full hex that's "in the corner". Sure, I don't want to get cornered, but this arena is too small to risk casting a missile spell and then taking a hit if the thug gets free and rushes me, so adding more distance with a move action later isn't really an option here.

The staff slams home in the thug's ribcage with a meaty thud, and Eniarch pulls it back to ready it for another strike, grimly aware of how confined this space really is.

[OOC: Damage roll, staff swing]
[roll0]

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-17, 04:44 PM
[OOC: damage spoiler]
Crushing damage has x1 multiplier (normal damage) and the torso has no special rules, so that's 3 HP injury to the thug. Shock (p.B419) reduces DX and IQ by -3 (equal to HP lost, max. of -4) on his next turn only. The hit is not strong enough to cause Knockback (p.B378).
---

Axe Thug's fourth turn

Reeling from his wound, the thug appears to "turtle" as best he can.

All-Out Defence (Double) manoeuvre
(Shock penalties specifically do not affect defences, but cover pretty much everything else. Because of this, it is often a good idea to spend a second on the defensive - and the rulebook suggests this)
---

Map updated. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Eniarch%20MC1-4.PNG)

---

NamelessArchon
2009-11-17, 04:54 PM
Eniarch supresses the urge to grin as the tables of the combat shift. Now let's see if we can make an end to it. 'Fiat lux', so to speak. He makes a quick ritual gesture, and his hand begins to glow with a brilliant light...

[OOC: Casting]
Sunbolt, skill 15, no step, 3 points of fatigue.

This just gets the missile spell cast and that the actual attack will occur next turn, assuming the roll doesn't botch.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-17, 05:22 PM
Eniarch's fifth turn

The luminous energy forms exactly as Eniarch expects.

---

Axe Thug's fifth turn

Watching the wizard's actions, the thug struggles again to move, but is stuck fast.

Again the attempt to break free is a Quick Contest of ST-5 vs 10<14 (original spell roll)
*clatter*
The dice roll is 12, a failure.
---

Map positions are unchanged.

---

NamelessArchon
2009-11-17, 05:43 PM
Eniarch points a finger at the thug, and aims carefully. "I fancy myself a scholar of sorts. Let us test the old adage and see whether or not light makes right."

[OOC: Aim]
There are no dice rolls to aim maneuvers, this is just to get the benefit of the accuracy bonus (+2) on the Sunbolt spell when I release it. Since the thug can't hit back, and can't free himself and attack me in the same turn, he's gotta hope that I miss, graze him with a low damage hit, or that his reduced(!) dodge score is sufficient to get out of the way of what's coming.

Edit: Also, I'm probably going straight to a very bad place for that pun.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-17, 07:10 PM
Edit: Also, I'm probably going straight to a very bad place for that pun.
I enjoy puns - I am guilty of them myself IRL too often. That said, I much prefer them OOC than IC. The latter risks breaking the fourth wall. Around the tabletop puns are often part of the spontaneity, but also the line between OOC and IC is more blurred. Using PbP, the division between the two is much more clearly demarcated and as such, IC puns carry a greater risk of bursting the bubble. ...So, I've phoned ahead for you. They are stoking the fires in preparation for your arrival. :smallbiggrin:

N.B. Don't need to add anything IC for Eniarch really for this turn, so I'll just skip to the thug.

Axe Thug's sixth turn

Unable to move from where he stands, the thug prepares himself as best he can.

All-Out Defence (Double) manoeuvre
---

---

NamelessArchon
2009-11-17, 09:32 PM
The energy discharges from Eniarch's extended finger with a soft crackle, audible over the breathing of the combatants, and a blindingly bright beam of coherent white light no thicker than a finger rips through the still air above the arena.

[OOC: Attack]
Sunbolt, using Innate Attack (Beam) at skill 12. Prior turn was spent aiming, ACC on the Sunbolt is +2. The thug is 2 hexes distant.

Your advice on the subject of puns is hereby noted. Mea maxima culpa. I will refrain once Eniarch is in the "real" world.

[roll0]

Edit: (...and I can't believe I missed after all of that. /sigh)

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-18, 04:21 AM
Eniarch's seventh turn

The thug squints as the bright flash misses by mere inches...

---

Axe Thug's seventh turn

...then he jumps up with a roar, breaking the ephemeral bindings that held his feet in place. Eyes firmly on Eniarch, he edges backwards.

another Break Free attempt - Quick Contest of ST-5 vs 10<14 (original spell roll)
*clatter*
A roll of 4, normally a critical success. However, as a regular success was not mathematically possible, in this instance I judge nothing extra to have happened on a roll of 4.

The thug takes a Step backwards.
---

Map updated. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Eniarch%20MC1-7.PNG)

---

NamelessArchon
2009-11-18, 08:13 AM
Eniarch grimaces momentarily at his failure to hit an immobilized target a scant six feet away. Mortifying. Once again his hand flickers through the abrupt motions of a spellcast, and the light begins to form in his palm again. "The shadows of oblivion are waiting for one of us. Shall we press your luck?"

[OOC: Spellcast]
Sunbolt, 3 points of fatigue, skill of 15.

[roll0]

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-18, 08:29 AM
Eniarch's eighth turn

Again, the creation of the luminous bolt goes exactly as Eniarch expects. Yet, such constant manipulation of powerful forces is starting to exhaust the tiring wizard.

IIRC, this now drops Eniarch down to 1 FP. This is below the 1/3 of FP threshold for him (p.B426). Therefore, his Move, Dodge and ST are currently halved (rounding up).

Eniarch's adjusted stats:
FP: 1
Move: 3
Dodge: 4
ST: 5
---

Axe Thug's eighth turn

The man drops hurriedly down on one knee as he reaches for the haft of his weapon.

Change Posture manoeuvre
The thug is now kneeling
---

---

NamelessArchon
2009-11-18, 09:21 AM
Eniarch extends a finger towards the thug before discharging the spell at his kneeling foe.

[OOC: Attack]
Sunbolt, 3d, range 2, Innate Attack (Beam) of 12

[roll0]

(Edit: The dice, they do not love me anymore. /sob Also, this is really going to hurt.)

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-18, 09:37 AM
Eniarch's ninth turn

The bolt of light passes between the thug's legs as he stands up, scorching the ground behind him.

---

Axe Thug's ninth turn

Eniarch's opponent glances momentarily at the burn spot on the ground as he tightens his grip on the axe in hand.

Ready manoeuvre (axe)
Move from kneeling posture to standing as a Step
---

Map updated. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Eniarch%20MC1-9.PNG)

---

NamelessArchon
2009-11-18, 10:17 AM
Eniarch tightens his grip on his staff, the wood rough against his palms. "Come on then, let's finish this."

First, I'd assume that although the Sunbolt spell requires only a finger to discharge, using it unreadies the staff. Eniarch will therefore ready the staff and take a step to his front-right. (The hex immediately above Eniarch's position on the map.) If that's not the case, let me know, and I'll change this action accordingly.

Secondly, since the minimum ST of a staff is 7, and Eniarch's strength is temporarily 5, he also loses two points off his effective weapon skill and loses one point of parry, dropping his parry score from 10 to 9.

Finally, wake up the Valkyries. I think Eniarch's got one more trick up his sleeve, and if that doesn't work, it'll be a fait accompli. :smallwink:

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-18, 11:27 AM
Eniarch's tenth turn

[OOC: I've nothing to add IC]
The magic rules are a bit vague on the sort of thing. However, I'm inclined to the same conclusion: a missile spell makes the staff un-ready.

In one respect the staff should be treated like any other weapon or tool in hand that is not connected to the spell being cast - it will be impacted by the restrictions of your skill level in the spell (Magic p.8-9). So for instance, if you had a skill level of 9, you could not cast the spell at all without both hands empty. For a skill of 15, you have more flexibility. However, I do believe that you would need to free up a hand in order to create a missile spell and then aim it properly.

Wielding a pole or stick enchanted with the Staff spell however, would change all that IMO as it then becomes a tool for spellcasting, rather than a hindrance. This would allow a fledgling apprentice of skill 9 to have both hands full, and is perhaps as useful as the range reduction benefit.
---
Axe thug's tenth turn

"Sure!" The thug yells, as he charges forward and brings the axe swinging down towards Eniarch. As aggressive as his attack is, the thug's axe clears the quarterstaff but doesn't quite connect with the wizard, missing Eniarch by a whisker.

All-Out Attack (Determined - up to half move, +4 to hit)
*clatter*
The dice roll 16. Not quite a critical fumble, but a failure nonetheless.
*facepalm*

And yes, AoA means that the thug gets no active defence.
---

Map updated. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Eniarch%20MC1-10.PNG)

---

NamelessArchon
2009-11-18, 12:50 PM
Steeling himself for the pain to come, Eniarch makes a gamble. This is going to hurt. He utters the words of a spell while stepping away, a familiar burning sensation beginning to creep through his muscles as he sacrifices his own life energy to fuel the casting.

Rooted Feet, Skill 15, burning HP instead of FP!

Since (if this sequence of events fails) someone will second guess it, allow me to explain:

With a strength of 5, Eniarch inflicts 1d-3 swing damage (thrust is even worse) with the staff, and does so on a skill of 9. His odds of landing a hit on this thug are thus rather poor (about 40%). I could take an all-out attack (determined or double) and attempt to improve the odds, but while landing a single hit is made more likely, the damage it would deal is probably insufficient to incapacitate his foe, and the fight will be over the turn after this, as Eniarch can't defend after an AOA, and that axe will end it fast.

However, if the root takes effect, the thug is once again out of reach and can be tickled to death with staff hits or a HP fueled sunbolt (maybe). Wish him luck.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-18, 03:21 PM
Eniarch's eleventh turn

Powering magic with one's own lifeforce is a risky gambit. In this instance, one which has not paid off. Eniarch's magic fails to hold the thug this time.

As before, the spell is resisted in a QC by the thug's ST.
*clutter*
The dice roll is 7, a success by 3. This is enough in this case, as Eniarch's spell roll of 9 succeeded by the same amount (skill of 15, -1 for range, -1 per HP burnt = effective skill of 12) and the spellcaster's margin of victory must be greater in order to win.

HP: 8
---

Axe thug's eleventh turn

With another roar, the thug swings his axe back and forth at Eniarch madly as he steps after him.

All-Out Attack (Double)
*clatter*
Two attack rolls, a 6 and a 12. One success.

A defence roll is required for Eniarch (which I'm assuming will be a Parry)
Roll that please and I'll continue :smallsmile:

---

EDIT: Map now updated. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Eniarch%20MC1-11.PNG)

---

NamelessArchon
2009-11-18, 05:03 PM
Eniarch whips his staff around in an harried attempt to deflect the brutal onslaught of the thug.

[OOC: Parry]
[roll0]

Alas poor Eniarch, we hardly knew him. ;)

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-18, 05:25 PM
Eniarch's defensive action sends the first axe blow deflecting wide. The thug twists and attempts to bring the blade cutting back across, but the second swing in less than a second is a poor one and the haft of the axe rebounds off the lingering staff.
---

EDIT: Map has now been corrected (link in last post).

---

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-20, 08:17 AM
[OOC: Oops!]
Think I made a mistake on the map positions/movement in the last turn. I missed the Step for Eniarch in the IC text. It won't have affected the numbers though, so the roll results still stand.

I'll get the map updated shortly.

EDIT: And that has now been done.

NamelessArchon
2009-11-20, 10:36 AM
[OOC: Map update, etc.]
It doesn't really matter - AoA permits a step, so while Eniarch would have stepped away, the thug would have stepped back next to him. The relative position of the characters is unchanged, though the position within the absolute area is different. Truth told, in a couple of rounds it won't really make any difference - Eniarch either lands a root, or he's going to get diced.

Eniarch grimaces, and prepares once again to tap his own life in an attempt to keep the thug at bay. The burning within his body intensifies as he nears the absolute limits of his ability to command magic, and the words of the spell again resound in the arena as he steps back once more to try and get soem space.

As before, Rooted Feet, Skill 15, using HP instead of FT.

[roll0]
...aaaaand it fails.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-20, 11:54 AM
Eniarch's twelfth turn

Eniarch fails to shape the energy properly, wasting some more of his precious life.

In one sense, failing to cast the spell is a better result than casting it but having it resisted by the target - the cost is only 1 point of energy (Magic p.7).

It seem you're in a somewhat dangerous spiral of feeling that your only option each time a spell does not work is to burn further HP. Just to remind you that if (when?) Eniarch's HP drops below 3, there will be further penalties in addtion to those for less than 1/3 FP.

HP: 7
---

Axe thug's twelfth turn

The thug turns to follow Eniarch, watching his opponent.

Evaluate manoeuvre (+1 to attack on next turn - can be stacked up to +3)
---

Map updated. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Eniarch%20MC1-12.PNG)

---

NamelessArchon
2009-11-20, 07:40 PM
It seem you're in a somewhat dangerous spiral of feeling that your only option each time a spell does not work is to burn further HP. Just to remind you that if (when?) Eniarch's HP drops below 3, there will be further penalties in addtion to those for less than 1/3 FP.I do appreciate that, but frankly - the fight's already over, barring a critical hit or critical failure, or a really lucky streak on the dice. However, Move score is irrelevant in a room this size, and Eniarch's Dodge has been less useful than his parry for a "long" time now.

I figure that the thug's going to have 10+ ST and is wielding a weapon doing ~1d+2 for damage. Best case for a hit is the torso, which has a single point of armor and no follow-on increase of wounding effects. If the thug has the requisite ST to actually wield the axe effectively (11) then he's doing at least 1d+3 damage, and any hit will be lethal on a 2+ damage roll, so ~80% chance of "killing" Eniarch with any single hit right now. Assuming he's got a 10 skill (which would be rather low, I'd expect), he'll hit Eniarch within five rounds or so on average, and we're well past that already. Increasing his skill with an evaluate only makes a bad thing worse.

Assuming a hacking match, Eniarch will need three hits with the staff before the thug lands even one to win, and he's operating at a reduced skill, with reduced damage, and reduced defense. So, either we'll spend the rest of the fight hacking at one another - a fight where the thug has a massive relative advantage - right up until Eniarch misses that first parry. Otherwise, Eniarch lands a root spell on his last few HP that actually lasts long enough for Eniarch to poke the thug to death. I don't really see any other options at this point. Eniarch will not win a hacking match, as far as I can see. Is there something I'm not taking into consideration, here?

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-20, 08:12 PM
Probably not. Sorry, I can see how that info would seem a bit pointless from your perspective. I'd mentioned it as much for the other GURPS rookies reading this and to make sure that you were aware of it for the future. :smallredface:

As for the thug, you may have over-estimated your opponent. Although certainly it pays not to take anyone for granted in GURPS combat, I also wanted to give you a fairly decent chance of victory. As a result, the thug is an extremely average opponent, not some seasoned mercenary.

I'm willing to stop now if you feel there's no point continuing. But personally I feel we should see this through to the end, either way. It's useful for any newbies watching to get an understanding of how wounding works in GURPS if nothing else. :smallbiggrin:

NamelessArchon
2009-11-20, 10:29 PM
Probably not. Sorry, I can see how that info would seem a bit pointless from your perspective. I'd mentioned it as much for the other GURPS rookies reading this and to make sure that you were aware of it for the future. I was aware there was a penalty, but not sure precisely what it was. (I double checked to make sure I wasn't forgetting a further penalty that would've made things worse!) Frankly, as I see it, penalty to dodge and move is less harmful than missing even a single parry at this point (about 60% chance to fail a parry at present).

As for the thug, you may have over-estimated your opponent.I think there's an element of not using my spellset effectively, as well. A darkness spell on the first round has no range penalty (unlike the wasted Spasm) and while it costs 2 mana to cast it has free upkeep due to skill level reduction if cast on a single hex. The penalty for "on" spells (-1) is less harmful to Eniarch due to his high skill than the sizable attack penalty (-4 or more) is beneficial by diminishing his opponent(s). I think I'd have kept Strike Blind or taken Flash, if I had it to do again.

I'm willing to stop now if you feel there's no point continuing. But personally I feel we should see this through to the end, either way. It's useful for any newbies watching to get an understanding of how wounding works in GURPS if nothing else. :smallbiggrin:Might as well see if a crit comes up, if nothing else. Onward!

Gritting his teeth against the pain, Eniarch again attempts to manifest salvation. "One of us is dying today." He all but spits the words to the spell as the pain builds again. His veins once more fill with it, like flaming lamp oil rushing through his body as he completes the spell and steps away again.

[OOC: Spellcast, step]
Rooted Feet, skill 15, HP instead of FP, etc, etc.

[roll0]

/sigh

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-20, 11:36 PM
Eniarch's thirteenth turn

Once again Eniarch's spellcraft fails. The tapping of his own body too great a strain for the wizard.

---

HP: 6
---

Axe thug's thirteenth turn

Grinning at Eniarch's failure to stop him, the thug chooses that moment to attack. Once again foregoing any defence, he swings the axe round in a lightning strike so fast it will be hard to stop.

---

Step to follow then All-Out Attack (Determined +4 to skill, Evaluate bonus +1 to skill, Deceptive Attack -4 to skill)
*clatter*
The dice roll 7, a success. Because this attack was Deceptive (p.B369-370), any Active Defence is at -2 penalty.
---

Map updated. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Eniarch%20MC1-13.png)

---

NamelessArchon
2009-11-22, 11:48 AM
Eniarch attempts to swat the axe away from his exposed flesh, seeking to eke out just a few more moments of life.

[OOC: Parry][roll0]

Edit: Splat.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-22, 12:46 PM
Eniarch's tiredness affects his reactions and he is too slow to respond effectively. There is an unpleasant thud as the axe impacts with his torso.

*clatter*
6 points of damage from the axe.
Eniarch's torso armour gives DR 1.
5 points damage penetrate the armour, multiplied by 1.5 (Wounding Modifiers and Injuring p.B379) meaning 7 HP of injury to Eniarch.

Because 7 HP is more than 1/2 Eniarch's max HP, this counts as a Major Wound (p.420). He must make an immediate HT roll to avoid knockdown and stunning.

If Eniarch succeeds the HT check, he will still be at -4 to DX and IQ on his next turn only due to Shock.

Furthermore, because he is now also less than 0 HP, Eniarch must make a HT roll at the start of each turn or he collapses unconscious.

HP: -1

Map will either remain unchanged (Eniarch succeeds first HT roll) or it probably won't matter anymore (Eniarch fails HT roll and is now horizontal).

NamelessArchon
2009-11-22, 10:14 PM
[OOC: HT rolls for everyone!]
[roll0] for knockdown/stunning.
[roll1] for not being conscious at the start of the turn.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-24, 09:45 AM
As Eniarch is still standing, you get to decide what you want him to do 14 seconds in :smallsmile:

NamelessArchon
2009-11-24, 10:45 AM
As Eniarch is still standing, you get to decide what you want him to do 14 seconds in :smallsmile:If he's still standing in another five or six seconds, it'll be a miracle, indeed! While we're at it, here's the roll for next turn's consciousness: [roll0]

Edit: ...aaaand it's over. That HT roll is not enough to keep him up next turn, so all the thug has to do is stare really hard. ;)

Bloodied and battered, the sorcerer still manages to smile,a rictus grin of pain and amusement rolled into a single expression. "Even in the face of oblivion, I still smile, for death is only a doorway to another means to serve." He raises the staff to defend himself carefully, hoping to last long enough to land a few hits of his own.

[OOC: AoD]
(Increased defense, +2 to Parry)

With a total of -6(!) to Staff skill, Eniarch can't land a hit on anything other than a critical success, and while delaying may not be an option, the only other one is praying for a lucky crit, so...

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-24, 11:59 AM
Eniarch's fourteenth turn

[OOC: I've nothing to add IC]

---

Axe Thug's fourteenth turn

The thug steps around and swings his axe down at Enairch's leg. His attack, although concerted, is mis-timed and Eniarch avoids it easily.

All-Out Attack (Determined +4, leg -2)
*clatter*
The dice say 13, a fail.

As you've already rolled (and failed) Eniarch's next HT roll, I'll continue.
---

Eniarch's fifteenth turn

Injury and exhaustion finally catch up with Eniarch, he loses consciousness, slips and falls backwards.

---

At this point, the fight is effectively over.

If this is a fight to the death then Eniarch's opponent can simply kill him without interference. Even if the thug were to walk away at this point, the odds are not good.

At -1 HP, a person is not yet dead. However, without outside aid there is a high chance that Eniarch would simply bleed to death before he wakes up. (HT roll at -2 every minute or lose 1 HP, but HT roll to wake up every hour - If he loses another 9 HP then his condition is mortal, meaning HT roll to wake up is every 12 hours, plus HT roll vs death every 12 hours until stabilised).

---

Map updated. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Eniarch%20MC1-15.png)

---

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-24, 12:19 PM
Thanks, NA. That was extremely useful.

I feel that you made a couple of tactical errors, but then you were also unlucky with some of your rolls so it could've easily gone differently.

NamelessArchon
2009-11-24, 12:57 PM
I feel that you made a couple of tactical errorsNo doubt. However, that only begs the questions: Which? Where? Why?

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-24, 01:58 PM
No doubt. However, that only begs the questions: Which? Where? Why?

Of course this is only my opinion, FWIW.

Now I know a large part of the fun of playing a wizard is getting to cast magic. And I certainly have a better understanding of how some of your spells work now that you've used them. :smallamused: However, in terms of general tactical approach, you often seemed to go for the magical option when the mundane option might have been more efficient for survival.

On your third turn, you cast Rooted Feet on the thug when he had just left himself vulnerable to attack from his fumbled grapple. My personal inclination at that point was to just to hit him as hard as you could.

Then, after you had cast the spell and stuck him to the ground, the thug basically had two choices: attempt to break free, or all-out defence. At that point, you could've kept swinging at him, perhaps using some form of AoA to maximise your chances, rather than using further magic that drained your FP.

On your eighth turn, and with Eniarch at 4 FP you cast Sunbolt again, pushing him over the 1/3 FP threshold - this was arguably a succeed-or-die action on your part. The subsequent miss turned the fight in your opponent's favour.

The total amount of spellcasting throughout the fight meant that Eniarch weakened himself to the point where he surrendered the advantage, rather than the thug seizing or creating the advantage himself.

NamelessArchon
2009-11-24, 03:01 PM
Of course this is only my opinion, FWIW.Well, I'm glad - if I'd asked you for my opinion, I'm probably doing it wrong.

On your third turn, you cast Rooted Feet on the thug when he had just left himself vulnerable to attack from his fumbled grapple. My personal inclination at that point was to just to hit him as hard as you could.Possibly. I certainly thought about it, but I decided not to do so. Rooted Feet has a skill of 15. Eniarch's skill with a staff is barely 50-50, and as you've seen, dice have no particular love for me.

Hitting him (if managed) gains a momentary combat advantage, but the root (theoretically) ends the fight against anyone without reach - they simply cannot fight back effectively. It's possible that the hit would've created a cascade (reduced DX reduces thug's skills, which reduces defense, which makes future hits more likely, etc.) or also that I'd simply have spent the next few turns rolling 12+ on a skill of 11 and whiffing at empty air.

Also, once grabbed, Eniarch is using his even lesser Brawling skill (at best) or Wrestling (which is at default!) and CANNOT use any magic, because you can't concentrate once you've been grappled, so if his intention was to grapple me, my intention was to make it Not Happen.

You see that as missing an opportunity to increase advantage, while I see it as a chance to end the fight outright in a fight where a single failure turns the tables against Eniarch most strongly. Frankly, Eniarch doesn't expect to win a "hacking match". Prepared, and against a truly unskilled thug or unarmored bravo, maybe he comes out all right with nothing more than a staff, but against a reasonably skilled sword-and-board fighter or someone with some decent armor? No, that fight ends fast, either because Eniarch's magic ends it by removing the fighter's skill from the equation, or because Eniarch is quickly reduced to a pile of quivering cubes - indeed, given the lethality of RAW combat, the last thing an unarmored fighter wants to do is trade blows!

Then, after you had cast the spell and stuck him to the ground, the thug basically had two choices: attempt to break free, or all-out defence. At that point, you could've kept swinging at him, perhaps using some form of AoA to maximise your chances, rather than using further magic that drained your FP.This one I'd agree with, but I really didn't expect to miss on a skill of 14. Ideally, I'd have aimed for another two seconds (total skill 16) but I didn't want to push my luck on the root breaking. Turns out I should have, clearly.

Theoretically, the root never breaks, and I could move around behind my target, prime a repeated series of telegraphic AoAs for the skull from behind (-1 to hit in total?) and probably finish the fight in a single round, which was really what the Sunbolts should have done, albeit a bit "flashier". Next time I may do exactly that - I'd forgotten about the 1/3rd FP penalty to ST until after I'd posted the action.

On your eighth turn, and with Eniarch at 4 FP you cast Sunbolt again, pushing him over the 1/3 FP threshold - this was arguably a succeed-or-die action on your part. The subsequent miss turned the fight in your opponent's favour.From my perspective, the fight was "succeed or die" from the first action, but it was certainly unwise.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-24, 03:05 PM
OK, next up is Devereux's character, Cedric.

Mock Combat 2

As in the first fight, the thick black border on the map is stone wall, and should be considered impassible. Both combatants start facing each other with their weapons ready. The thug is wielding a sword in both hands, and appears to be unarmoured.

---

Map of starting positions. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Cedric%20MC2-0%20^5start^6.PNG)

---

Cedric gets to go first.

If you have any questions Devereux, then please ask. Otherwise, it's your move :smallbiggrin:

Devereux
2009-11-24, 11:22 PM
Cedric wastes no time.

"Hit him hard and fast, Cedric, hard and fast," he mutters to himself.

Cedric performs a Move-and-Attack, moving 1 pace to the right, and 3 paces forward.
Sword Slash (15): [roll0]

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-25, 08:56 AM
Cedric's first turn

Cedric's dash across the floor takes his opponent by surprise, and the thug fails to deflect the slash at his torso.

Thug attempts a Parry
*clatter*
Dice roll 12, a failure

Roll damage, and then I'll continue...
btw, you do know you were lucky, right? Cedric's effective skill was 9, not 15 (-4 to skill for Move and Attack, adjusted skill cannot exceed 9) :smallsmile:

Devereux
2009-11-25, 09:46 AM
Swish!
Damage Sword Cutting(2d-1)
[roll0]
btw, you do know you were lucky, right? Cedric's effective skill was 9, not 15 (-4 to skill for Move and Attack, adjusted skill cannot exceed 9) :smallsmile:Nope, I didn't know I was lucky... I'm that annoying kid brother who plays your favorite console fighting game, mashes buttons, and gets lucky but thinks he's got skill :smallbiggrin:

Actually, I couldn't think of any good alternatives, and that seemed just as good to me as any. Alternately, I considered moving and/or doing an evaluation, depending on whether or not i was in range for an evaluation or could do both together.

Sorry about the misevaluation earlier, I was aware of the -4 but forgot to factor it in. I guess that's why we're doing mock combats...

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-25, 10:50 AM
Cedric's sword cuts a line across the thug's abdomen, covering the blade in blood. The thug collapses forward, dropping his sword in the process.

7 points damage, no armour, x1.5 (cutting wound multiplier) = 10 points damage. This is greater than 1/2 the thug's HP and thusly a Major Wound, which forces an immediate knockdown/stunning roll.
*clatter*
The dice say 14, greater than his HT (but not a failure by 5+), so the thug falls prone, drops anything he's carrying, is Stunned for one turn, but not yet unconscious.

Nope, I didn't know I was lucky... I'm that annoying kid brother who plays your favorite console fighting game, mashes buttons, and gets lucky but thinks he's got skill :smallbiggrin:
Thought that I recognised you from somewhere!
---

Sword Thug's first turn

With a slight moan, the prone thug twitches on the floor.

Due to the effects of Stun (see previous spoiler) the thug is forced to Do Nothing on this turn.

Now this probably what NamelessArchon would call a OHK, and Cedric's victory is in little doubt. However, as the thug is technically still conscious, we'll continue for the moment.
---

Map updated. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Cedric%20MC2-1.PNG)

---

EDIT:

Alternately, I considered moving and/or doing an evaluation, depending on whether or not i was in range for an evaluation or could do both together.

Well, two manoeuvres cannot be combined by normal mortals. You were in range for an Evaluate - it's valid as long as you are in range to attack (i.e. a Move and Attack). Evaluate only allows you to move 1 yard/hex while sizing-up your opponent however (what GURPS calls a "step").

Devereux
2009-11-25, 11:43 AM
If this is IC, Cedric needs to know why they were fighting in order to know how to proceed.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-25, 12:06 PM
If this is IC, Cedric needs to know why they were fighting in order to know how to proceed.

They were fighting so that OOC, Devereux gets a better understanding of the combat mechanics :smallwink:

If you're worried that Cedric shouldn't hit an unarmed man, we can say that this is a fight to the death IC if that makes you feel more comfortable. However, you shouldn't have any major hinderance as this is just an exercise. Furthermore, I note that Cedric has no traits such as Pacifism (Cannot Kill) or a Code of Honour that might restrict his pragmatism in such a situation.

I would also remind you that Cedric did attack first :smallbiggrin:

NamelessArchon
2009-11-25, 12:30 PM
If this is IC, Cedric needs to know why they were fighting in order to know how to proceed.It's IC in the sense that it's meant to be played out "in-character" with respect to speech and posing, but AFAIK it's not going to be canon. No one will ever mention that Cedric killed a poor "defenseless" thug on the second round of combat by stabbing him to death as he lay there stunned and poorly in the middle of an 18x18 room surrounded by impassable stone walls, because it's just a mock combat.

Now, if we were actually playing these as canon, Eniarch's whole fight could've been an illusory training exercise run by Claudius, complete with reprimands from his master afterward explaining the myriad things he did wrong! ("...and all that the time you wasted monologuing on those awful puns? What were you thinking?")

As far as an IC justification for brutally murdering our hapless mock victim while he lays there completely helpless? Well, he kicked your puppy. He made rude comments about your uncertain parentage and dubious lineage. He insinuated that Cedric enjoys misbehaviors that involve large quantities of alcohol and wearing custom-tailored ladies' apparel while pretending to be an opera singer. He suggested that Cedric's palette is too unrefined to adequately appreciate the quality of Cedric's favorite beer and he'd be perfectly happy with a bowl of scummy water placed on the floor. Pick one or make up your own, and I'd bet UP can run with it, since the whole fight is effectively not real.

And yes, UP, this is exactly the "OHK" situation I was referring to - unless Cedric is merciful, the combat is effectively over in one hit, and indeed, on the first round of combat! Imagine Cedric as my thug, and you immediately see why Eniarch went "all out" from round one - he was trying to avoid this ever happening to him!

Devereux
2009-11-25, 01:08 PM
Seeing the man fall prone elicits no sympathy from Cedric. Instead, he feels rather vindictive.

"It was a Belgian Brown, not a Pilsner, you sorry sack of sour hops," growls Cedric, and with no heed for his safety, or need to defend himself, delivers a kick to the prone man's ribs.
If I got this right, it will be an All-Out-Attack, determined.
Booted Kick (16) 14 base, with a -2 to hit for kicking, +4 for being determined, without adding any modifiers for the guy on the ground (I think U P does that):
[roll0]

Devereux
2009-11-25, 01:21 PM
Furthermore, I note that Cedric has no traits such as Pacifism (Cannot Kill) or a Code of Honour that might restrict his pragmatism in such a situation.Understood, I was just thinking that Cedric might be pragmatic in a fight, but say, a tavern brawl or maybe a city mugging, he might just leave them be as opposed to putting a sword through his prone body :)

Thanks for the feedback and help guys. Sorry that we didn't get down to too many melee mechanics here.

Actually, I was thinking about doing some RP and stepping on his prone body so that I could lean down and whisper some sort of vindictive statement, but didn't know how that would work exactly...
Preemptive Damage Roll, if it's a hit
Booted Kick: 1d6+2crush
[roll0]

NamelessArchon
2009-11-25, 01:45 PM
Understood, I was just thinking that Cedric might be pragmatic in a fight, but say, a tavern brawl or maybe a city mugging, he might just leave them be as opposed to putting a sword through his prone body :)Probably wise, in a tavern brawl or mugging. Dead bodies are a lot harder to explain in some settings, and almost always draw attention.

Sorry that we didn't get down to too many melee mechanics here.Ha! Just rewind it, assume the thug successfully parries this time, and then run combat from there (Mock Combat 2b)! If that's objectionable, then it can't really hurt to start a new one. After all, what's the worst that could happen - you lose like Eniarch did? :smallwink:

Actually, I was thinking about doing some RP and stepping on his prone body so that I could lean down and whisper some sort of vindictive statement, but didn't know how that would work exactly...Ooh. Good question.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-25, 07:19 PM
Cedric's second turn

Cedric's boot connects solidly with the thug's ribs. The man groans, but hadly moves.

I've just realised that I should have rolled at end of Sword Thug's first turn, to see if he recovered from being stunned.
*clatter*
Dice roll of 11, a failure. He remains Stunned until end of next turn, at least.

That means that the thug suffers -4 to active defences, in addition to the -3 for lying down. (There were no modifiers for Cedric's attack due to his target being prone.)
*clatter*
Another 11, which unsurprisingly is not a successful "Dodge".
Sword Thug's HP: -8

---

Sword Thug's second turn

He tries but fails to push himself up.

Do Nothing manoeuvre, as mandated by Stun
*clatter*
And another 11! (or should that be 11!!!1! :smalltongue:?) He'll still be stunned next turn too.
---

Map unchanged

---

Preemptive Damage Roll, if it's a hit
Booted Kick: 1d6+2crush
You can just do this in the same spoiler as the attack roll actually. Underneath it or something. (dariathalon has already convinced me that more time-efficient that way).

Probably wise, in a tavern brawl or mugging. Dead bodies are a lot harder to explain in some settings, and almost always draw attention.

Indeed. I'd say that in a tavern brawl at least, leaving people un-killed probably is the more "pragmatic" thing to do, for the very reason you've indicated.

Actually, I was thinking about doing some RP and stepping on his prone body so that I could lean down and whisper some sort of vindictive statement, but didn't know how that would work exactly...

Ooh. Good question.

Hmm, as GM I'd be inclined to drop out of combat time for that one. This would probably take multiple seconds to do realistically. In a one-on-one situation, without other combatants nearby, there's no need to for the victor to worry about acting super-fast if they're just going to gloat.

Devereux
2009-11-25, 09:21 PM
Cedric makes what he hopes will be a finishing blow, putting his entire body behind his swing.
I didn't include the +2 crush before, should I do that in the roll (I just rolled 1d6 as opposed to 1d6+2) - should i include other forms of damage in the total damage roll? EDIT: I now think that the whole damage was of type crushing, I don't know what I was thinking there before...
All-Out-Attack, Strong, +2 to damage
Shortsword: (15)
[roll0]

Damage: 2d-1, +2 for strong attack
[roll1]

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-25, 10:14 PM
I didn't include the +2 crush before, should I do that in the roll (I just rolled 1d6 as opposed to 1d6+2)

Gah! I missed that, sorry! I've made the adjustment now (don't think it would've made any difference to result in that instance).

In future just do how you just did with the sword, thanks. And yeah, weapon damage will be of all one type, including any bonuses. The only exception would be some kind of linked or follow-up effect such as poison on the blade, or shrapnel from an explosion - but in those instances the second type is specified separately rather than added-on.

Cedric's third turn

Cedric's heavy swing at the prone thug's back is uncontested and the cut is deep. The thug is no longer moving.

Dodge attempt (at -7)
*clatter*
Dice roll of 12, a failure. (As might be expected, only a crit success would've done the trick here - and would just as likely represent a "fumble" IC by Cedric as an actual defence by the thug)

11 points damage, no armour, x1.5 (cutting wound multiplier) = 16 points damage. Now, this is another Major Wound, which forces another knockdown/stunning roll (he could fail by 5+ and pass out)
*clatter*
Dice say 7, which is a success. However, as thug still under effect of existing Stun, I'd say this does not countermand that.

However, rolling for that Major Wound first may have been illogical, as I've just realised the total damage...
Sword Thug's HP: -24

Being at -1xHP requires an immediate HT roll
*clatter*
Dice roll of 14, a failure by greater than 2; the thug is dead.

---

Sword Thug is dead!

Note that in an actual IC battle with multiple combatants, you won't always know instantly that an opponent has died. Only that they have collapsed, are not moving, or whatever. An "average/normal" human could potentially take 60 HP of injury before they would be dead for certain. Of course, many fail their HT checks before that point.

---

Map unchanged

---

Devereux
2009-11-26, 10:43 AM
"Now, wheres Axe Thug," mutters Cedric.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-26, 11:00 AM
"Now, wheres Axe Thug," mutters Cedric.

Hahaha!
Actually, if you're cool with it, I wouldn't mind running Cedric through with this guy again. I'll give him some armour this time though; see if he lasts a few seconds longer :smallwink:

Devereux
2009-11-26, 11:30 AM
Hahaha!
Actually, if you're cool with it, I wouldn't mind running Cedric through with this guy again. I'll give him some armour this time though; see if he lasts a few seconds longer :smallwink:
Sure thing, perhaps you were considering punishing my button mashing a little bit :smalltongue:

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-26, 11:39 AM
Right then. Cedric has the dubious honour of going again!

Mock Combat 3

As before, the thick black border on the map is stone wall, and should be considered impassible. Both combatants start facing each other with their weapons ready. The thug wields a sword in both hands, and is wearing a breastplate.

---

Map of starting positions. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Cedric%20MC3-0%20^5start^6.PNG)

---

Once again, Cedric gets to go first.

---

Devereux
2009-11-26, 11:51 AM
Cedric shouts, "HAVEN'T I SEEN YOU SOMEWHERE BEFORE? THIS SEEMS VERY FAMILIAR TO ME!"

Cedric sees a thug in some armor. He approaches cautiously, and tries to take in some information about his opponent.
Step forward, Evaluate

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-26, 12:12 PM
Cedric's first turn

Cedric guesses his opponent's weapon is a bastard sword. The breastplate invariably bronze.

As you were Evaluating, a straight-forward IQ roll seemed appropriate to gather the above quickly. Were Cedric doing something more active, the roll would've probably been at penalty.
*clatter*
Dice roll is 11. With Cedric's knowledge/experience that seemed a success.
---

Breastplate Thug's first turn

The thug steps forward to his left, also seeming to size up his opponent.

Evaluate manoeuvre
step forward left and turn to face south
---

Map updated (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Cedric%20MC3-1.PNG)

---

Devereux
2009-11-26, 01:37 PM
Cedric steps forward, and turns towards his opponent, keeping him under careful watch and observing his movements

Evaluate

Should I be rolling Evaluate instead of you?

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-26, 01:43 PM
Evaluate just gives a +1 to hit on the turn immediately afterwards, stackable to +3
This bonus is automatic - no roll required

(The IQ roll I made wasn't strictly part of that, it was just to give additional info about Cedric's opponent)

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-26, 02:00 PM
Cedric's second turn

Evaluate bonus now +2
---

Breastplate Thug's second turn

The thug makes a deliberate thrust straight at Cedric's torso from where he stands.

Attack manoeuvre, Telegraphic Attack +4, Evaluate +1
*clatter*
Dice roll 13, the attack is on target, but Cedric defends at +2 (telegraphic).
---

Map updated. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Cedric%20MC3-2.PNG)

---

Devereux
2009-11-26, 02:35 PM
bear with me, how does one make an "inactive" defense (i.e. didn't choose defense as my turn)

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-26, 03:20 PM
No worries.
The term you're looking for isn't "inactive defence", though. :smallsmile:

The standard situation in GURPS combat is that you can make one Active Defence per attack (Parry, Block or Dodge). You can increase or decrease your options by concentrating on attack or defence (i.e. AoD (double) lets you attempt 2 separate active defences for each attack), but one active defence is the norm.

So, you choose which you want to do, and call it when you roll the 3d6. Cedric could Dodge (at light encumbrance), Block with the buckler, or Parry with the shortsword. Any of those will get +2 in this instance due to the obviousness of Telegraphic Attacks). Generally, there's little reason not to choose your most effective defence each time.

Devereux
2009-11-26, 04:23 PM
With a grunt, Cedric brings his shortsword around in an attempt to block the thrust.
If I understand correctly, then it is my most effective defense.

Parry Roll (13, 11 base, +2 for telegraphic attack)
[roll0]

Should i go ahead and roll the next round now or wait for outcome?

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-26, 05:09 PM
If I understand Parry, which I don't entirely (the 11/9 - I don't know when the 9 is in effect), then it is my most effective defense.

Sorry about the confusion. :smallredface: I added the /9 because Cedric also has the Spear skill (this was explained in Statistic Block space at bottom of the sheet). However, as you didn't actually buy a spear, you can scrap the /9 in the Parry box.

Parry Roll (13, 11 base, +2 for telegraphic attack)

Cedric also gets another +1 from carrying a small buckler.

Should i go ahead and roll the next round now or wait for outcome?

Erm, I'm not sure if that will always be possible in multi-person fights. Prob safest to wait.
---

There is a clang as Cedric's shortsword knocks the other blade wide.

---

Devereux
2009-11-26, 05:17 PM
"What, been practicing with grammy again? Too slow," Cedric grunts, mocking his opponent.

Deflecting the sword aside, Cedric then turns his blade back against Sword Thug and thursts at him.

Is there EVER a point to me thrusting here? Perhaps the impaling wound modifier is more effective on a turn by turn basis?
Sword Attack (15), unmodified I believe
[roll0]

Damage Sword Thurst, 1d6 impaling
[roll1]

NamelessArchon
2009-11-26, 06:26 PM
Is there EVER a point to me thrusting here? Perhaps the impaling wound modifier is more effective on a turn by turn basis?I can field that one. Crushing, cutting and impaling weapons have different "wounding modifiers", and that can make a large difference to the final result on a hit. If a weapon deals the same type of damage on both thrust and swing (say, a blunted tourney sword that's always crushing damage) then a swing is probably always better if you can make one.

Against heavily armored opponents, you might actually need to swing for additional damage just to have a chance to get through their armor's DR. Eniarch, for example, normally can't thrust hard enough to penetrate DR 7 with his staff, and even with substantial added damage from a "stop thrust" he would be very hard pressed to cause any damage at all against a very heavily armored knight unless he hit the eyes (which are like -9 to hit)!

(Note that the damage a weapon "hits for" below is assumed to be after armor is applied, as that reduces damage up front.)

Crushing weapons have a wounding modifier of x1.0. If a weapon hits for 5 points of crushing damage, 5 points are inflicted. (Most blunt weapons are crushing, but so are the points of some two-handed swords, the butt of a spear, or the flat of a longer blade or axe!)

Cutting weapons have a wounding modifier of x1.5. If a weapon hits for 5 points of cutting damage, 7 points are inflicted. (Swords and axes are the "typical" cutting weapons, but some weapons like polearms also can have cutting blades.)

Impaling weapons have a wounding modifier of x2.0. If a weapon hits for 5 points of impaling damage, 10 are inflicted. (Spears, sword points and arrows are typical impaling weapons, but some other weapons like warhammers or picks also have impaling points.)

Devereux
2009-11-26, 06:46 PM
so, in our example, a breastplate would be DR6, and should absorb that entire thrust. any damage that managed to get through would then be multiplied. so in the case of an armored opponent, it's probably advantageous to get attempt more upfront damage delivered with a lower modifier, unless you can guarantee a significant amount of damage gets through somehow

dariathalon
2009-11-26, 06:55 PM
A couple of things I've noticed from the combat so far. First, very rarely do you ever add to the 3d6 as you did on the defense roll. This actually would make it less likely to succeed. Instead, you are trying to roll under the target number (aka skill level). The +2 is added to your target number, not the die roll.

Also, one thing that might not have been completely clear from NA's post is that the DR of armor is subtracted before the multiplier is applied. So, for example an impaling attack that does 5 points from your roll against a foe with 3 DR would actually do 4 points of final damage. (5 damage - 3 DR = 2, then 2 damage x 2 impaling modifier = 4 final).

So depending on how armored your opponent is, your choice can matter. Thrusts tend to do less to start with, but are often impaling, so have a larger multiplier (so are better against lightly armored opponents). Swings tend to do more to start with, but have a smaller multiplier (so are better against more heavily armored opponents.)

Edit: After reading your last post, which occured while I was typing this. You seem to have the right idea there.

Also, there are some other cases where one is better than the other. Certain weapons (like some polearms for example) are significantly better at one than the other. Also, some body parts have different modifiers or restrictions for the different damage types. For example, the vitals can only be targeted by piercing or impaling attacks.

NamelessArchon
2009-11-26, 07:32 PM
so, in our example, a breastplate would be DR6, and should absorb that entire thrust.Depends on the material, for one. A "stock" bronze BP is DR 4, a steel one is DR 5. A special item (enchanted, special materials, dwarven made, martian-tempered, etc) might have even more DR still.

It also depends on if the opponent might be layering armor. If he were wearing a mail shirt under his clothing, and a steel breastplate over that, he'd have DR 7 against crushing weapons, and DR 9(!) against impaling or cutting attacks. That could well mean that foes would have to swing, or aim for a less-armored part of the body, or come equipped with crushing weapons, just to do some damage.

Layering armor, however, has its own drawbacks. It's heavier, for one, and even if the weight is not an issue on its own, layering armor on any non-head location reduces your effective DX by 1 (which also lowers DX skills by one). (p. 286, Basic Set)

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-26, 09:10 PM
A couple of things I've noticed from the combat so far. First, very rarely do you ever add to the 3d6 as you did on the defense roll. This actually would make it less likely to succeed. Instead, you are trying to roll under the target number (aka skill level). The +2 is added to your target number, not the die roll.

Eeek! I should've spotted that :smallredface:

I had thought about clarifying the difference between damage and skill bonuses earlier but decided it was me over-explaning unnecessarily again :smallfrown:

@Devereux
dariathalon is entirely correct. Only add modifiers to the damage rolls. Skill and stat checks etc, are all roll-low affairs and the bonus is to the effective skill (the target number), not the roll itself (which would be counter-productive).

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-26, 09:17 PM
Cedric can't actually attack from 2 yards (hexes) away with his shortsword, so I'll move him closer with your unused Step.
---

Cedric's third turn

Cedric steps forward to thrust at his opponent. The thug tries to bring the bastard sword back round to parry the thrust. His movement is too slow and the thrust lands true, but Cedric's sword point glances harmlessly off the bronze armour.

*clatter*
The thug's Parry roll was 11, a failure

Is there EVER a point to me thrusting here? Perhaps the impaling wound modifier is more effective on a turn by turn basis?
Sword Attack (15), unmodified I believe

Firstly, as you've guessed and the others have also explained, thrusts will rarely get through heavy DR. Impaling is only worth it if you can get through.

Secondly, your skill was not unmodified - you had +2 from the Evaluate. At effective skill of 17, it was worth considering targeting a specific hit location that was not armoured, as even with a neg. modifier yours odds could have been decent.
---

Breastplate Thug's third turn

The thug swings his sword at Cedric as he steps away to widen the gap between them.

Attack manoeuvre, swing with b-sword
*clatter*
Dice roll is 10, a defence is required

Roll your AD and I'll continue :smallsmile:

Devereux
2009-11-26, 10:08 PM
Cedric again brings his sword up to parry his opponent's attack.

Thanks guys, I think it's all starting to come together in my head. Unfortunately GURPS lite does not include instructions on aiming at various body bits :) I do understand the rolls and where to apply modifiers now, but it's new so easy to get those wires crossed.
Parry (11)
[roll0]

NamelessArchon
2009-11-27, 02:24 AM
Thanks guys, I think it's all starting to come together in my head. Unfortunately GURPS lite does not include instructions on aiming at various body bitsPractice makes perfect. To aim at spot other than the torso, you take a penalty based on how hard it is to hit the target. Smaller and more vulnerable spots are harder to hit, but they further modify the effects of certain attacks.

The list, with modifiers and special effects is:
Torso (0): No special effects. This is what you attempt to hit by default.

Arm or Leg (-2): For disabling someone. Reduce wounding modifiers of large/huge piercing damage, and impaling damage to x1. Any major wound cripples the limb, but damage beyond that required to cripple is lost. (If this is a shield arm, modifier becomes -4.)

Vitals: (-3): Heart, lungs, kidneys. Impaling or piercing attacks increase wounding modifier to x3, tight beam burning attacks (like Sunbolt) increase wounding modifier to x2. Other attacks are not valid against the vitals.

Groin (-3): Lower torso. Jackets and light armor may not cover this area. As a torso hit, except that human males (and similar species) suffer double shock from crushing hits to the groin and get -5 to knockdown rolls.

Hands/Feet (-4): As an arm or leg, but damage over 1/3rd HP in one blow causes a crippling major wound. Excess damage is still lost. If this is a shield hand, modifier becomes -8.

Face (-5): JAw, cheeks, nose, ears. Some helmets have an open face, avoiding helmet DR. Knockdown rolls are at -5, and critical hits use the "Critical Head Blow" table, which is more favorable. Corrosion damage (acid, for example) gets a x1.5 wounding modifier, and if it inflicts a major wound, it also blinds an eye. Corrosive damage greater than full HP blinds both eyes. This attack modifier assumes you're in FRONT of the target, switch modifiers with "skull" for cases where you are behind the foe.

Neck (-5): Neck and throat. Wounding multiplier of corrosion and crushing attacks increased to x1.5, cutting to x2. GM may rule anyone killed by cutting neck blow is decapitated.

Skull (-7): Part of the head housing the brain. DR2 for the skull after any armor. Wounding modifier increases to x4 for all attacks, knockdown avoidance rolls are at -10, and critical hits use the "critical head blow" table, which is more favorable. (Toxic damage has no special effects on the skull.) This attack modifier assumes you're in FRONT of the target, switch modifiers with "face" for cases where you are behind the foe.

Eye (-9): Impaling, piercing and tight-beam burning attacks can target the eye. Injury over HT/10 blinds the eye. Otherwise, as for skull hits, but no additional DR! (Also, as with skull hits, toxic damage has no special benefit when used against the eye.)

Weapon (varies): -5 to hit a reach C weapon, -4 to hit a reach 1 melee weapon. -3 for reach 2+ weapons. (Attempts to disarm are generally at an additional -2.) Can be used for breaking a foes weapon by damaging it.

(UP, does the double shock modifier exceed the standard -4 penalty in the case of groin hits?)

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-27, 04:53 AM
The bastard sword swings between blade and buckler, connecting with mail links and cutting through. Cedric's body suffers a rush of momentary shock.

Even with the +1 from the small buckler, 13 was too high a defence roll
*clatter*
Thug's damage total is 7, mail DR is 4 vs cutting, so 3 get through, x1.5 = 4 points injury
Cedric's DX- and IQ-based rolls with be at -4 due to Shock for one turn, but not defences.
---

Map updated. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Cedric%20MC3-3.PNG)

---

Unfortunately GURPS lite does not include instructions on aiming at various body bits :)

I did already list the modifiers for hitting locations in the optional/house rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7270906#post7270906) post (but not the mechanical effects as GURPS fairly realistic and models real-world injury quite logically :smallwink:)

(UP, does the double shock modifier exceed the standard -4 penalty in the case of groin hits?)

Up to -8 for crushing injury, yes. This is one of the cases where the usual maximum can be exceeded, but -4 is the normal limit.

Devereux
2009-11-27, 07:00 AM
Thanks again guys! I am constantly multi-tabbing and multi-apping trying to get things straight ;;) So if I understand my current situation, my sword is at -4 due to shock. Also, I can "step" one hex as part of any maneuver I? I was unclear after reviewing the PDF. I'm also wondering in my specific case if I can step forward and still attack since I"m not facing him? Can I step and pivot to face him?

Also I did not add my +1 for buckler last round as you noted. I'll start adding that too my target defense.
With a "urgh" of pain, Cedric steps forwards takes an obvious swing at Sword Thug's sword arm.

Sword slash(13), skill 15, -4 for shock, Telegraphic Attack +4, targeted arm -2
[roll0]

NamelessArchon
2009-11-27, 11:31 AM
Thanks again guys! I am constantly multi-tabbing and multi-apping trying to get things straight ;;) So if I understand my current situation, my sword is at -4 due to shock. Also, I can "step" one hex as part of any maneuver I?MOST maneuvers. Some prohibit taking a step, but that's usually pretty intuitive. You can't take a step while aiming a braced, two-handed weapon (like a sniper rifle on a bipod, or a braced crossbow). If you're forced to "Do Nothing" (see Mock Combat #2) then you can't take a step in that maneuver either. If you're taking a Wait maneuver, you can't move until your contingency occurs, then movement is as normal for your maneuver.

I'm also wondering in my specific case if I can step forward and still attack since I"m not facing him? Can I step and pivot to face him?The rules on facing are a little tricky to explain without pictures, but here goes:

You can make a Step in any direction, and change facing as part of that for free. (BS, p386, box) Otherwise...

Moving:
Moving forward costs 1 move per hex.
Moving sideways/backwards costs 2 move per hex.

Posture:
Crouching adds 0.5 move per hex.
Kneeling or crawling add 2 to the cost to move a hex.
Lying Down reduces move to 1.
Sitting prevents movement.

Facing:
As part of a move or before a move, +1 Move per hex-side change.
At end of move, it's free. One-hex side change if you moved more than half Move, free facing changes if you move less.

(Obstructions (enemies, allies, bodies, barricades) and bad footing will further penalize movement.) I think that's got it all, but hopefully the others will point up anything I've overlooked or gotten wrong.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-27, 08:49 PM
Cedric's fourth turn

The thug retreats from Cedric's approach, and deflects the obvious swing with relative ease.

Retreat gives +1 to Parry, Telegraphic Attack gives +2
*clatter*
Dice roll is 7, a success

That was a brave choice, btw. I would've gone AoD myself. :smallsmile:
---

Breastplate Thug's fourth turn

Turning to keep Cedric in view, the thug backs south along the wall and thrusts with his sword as he does so.

Attack manoeuvre (thrust) with step
*clatter*
Another 7, the thrust is on target to hit
---

Map updated. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Cedric%20MC3-4.PNG)

---

NA's explanation looks good. I'll see if I can put some diagrams together soon and post them in OOC thread.

Devereux
2009-11-27, 09:14 PM
Cedric battles to keep the blade away

Parry (12) 11 base, +1 buckler
[roll0]

That was a brave choice, btw. I would've gone AoD myself. :smallsmile:

As there was no penalty to defense here, I did not see any particular advantage to AoD here, unless there is a benefit to eventually deflecting him and pinning him into the corner. Does he have a disadvantage at really close range? Or perhaps you were thinking of a different advantage?
[/spoiler]

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-28, 07:21 AM
The parry is too poor to stop the bastard sword and Cedric feels the impact of his mail shirt absorbing the thrust. There will probably be a bruise on his stomach in the morning.

Damage roll
*clatter*
3 points imp damage, stopped by DR 4 of mail shirt

As there was no penalty to defense here, I did not see any particular advantage to AoD here, unless there is a benefit to eventually deflecting him and pinning him into the corner. Does he have a disadvantage at really close range? Or perhaps you were thinking of a different advantage?

Well it's more that as defences are not penalised, they're more likely to succeed than a penalised attack. Any manoeuvres that did not require skill rolls could of course be considered good options in such circumstances, e.g. an Evaluate for +1 next turn.

As to weapon range, both Cedric's shortsword and buckler have a reach of 1 hex and are ineffective in close combat. Longer weapons, such as the bastard sword (reach 1, 2), are usable at different ranges.

Devereux
2009-11-28, 10:06 AM
Well it's more that as defences are not penalised, they're more likely to succeed than a penalised attack. Any manoeuvres that did not require skill rolls could of course be considered good options in such circumstances, e.g. an Evaluate for +1 next turn.
Makes sense! Now in this current map situation, what sort of movement is required to actually get Cedric in an attack position? Can Cedric attack if he the thug is on his right? NA mentioned that a lateral step is two movement points, which I imagine is not possible with the "step" combat maneuver? I know NA described it earlier, but for example, could Cedric with his current move of 4 get behind the thug (in the hex "beneath" him on the map that is) in a single movement turn? and be facing him?

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-28, 10:35 AM
Makes sense! Now in this current map situation, what sort of movement is required to actually get Cedric in an attack position? Can Cedric attack if he the thug is on his right? NA mentioned that a lateral step is two movement points, which I imagine is not possible with the "step" combat maneuver? I know NA described it earlier, but for example, could Cedric with his current move of 4 get behind the thug (in the hex "beneath" him on the map that is) in a single movement turn? and be facing him?

Sort of. :smallsmile: Lemme get those diagrams done and then hopefully will be much easier to explain.

Devereux
2009-11-28, 02:13 PM
Cedric's parry goes wide, and it feels as though someone just sucker-punched him in the stomach. "OOF!"

Cedric then circles his opponent to his left side, and turns to face him, on Sword Thug's left.

I think I have this down right. Turns out I cannot move-and-attack, and then parry, not that it made a difference in poor Cedric's case.

Also, I believe I just read that the max attack skill I can have under move-and-attack melee is a 9. Sorry about earlier, but I guess I cannot stack a telegraphic attack to a move-and-attack and have it total more than 9?

Move and Attack
Move as described for the Move maneuver(p. 25), but during or after your move, make a single, poorly aimed attack – either
unarmed or with a ready weapon. You attack as described for the Attack maneuver (above), but at -4. If making a ranged attack, you lose all bonuses for Aim. If making a melee attack, your adjusted skill
cannot exceed 9.
Sword Slash (9) - otherwise I guess it's an 11
[roll0]

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-28, 04:20 PM
Cedric's fifth turn

The thug watches as Cedric's slash misses him cleanly...

Yes 9 is the maximum effective skill for a Move and Attack in melee.
---

Breastplate Thug's fifth turn

He then steps away and turns back to bring the bastard sword swinging around, which clangs harmlessly against Cedric's buckler.

Attack manoeuvre
Step forward and face south, then swing with bastard sword
*clatter*
Dice roll 11, a failure
---

Map updated. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Cedric%20MC3-5.PNG)

---

Devereux
2009-11-28, 04:44 PM
Cedric steps directly back and pivots slightly left, carefully studying his opponent.

I'm hoping I can combine them here. If not, then I will pivot slightly and evaluate and not step back

NamelessArchon
2009-11-28, 06:00 PM
Cedric's DX- and IQ-based rolls with be at -4 due to Shock for one turn, but not defences.Wouldn't a reduction in weapon skill (temporary though it is) penalize parries, which are based on weapon skill? I know there's no direct penalty to active defense from shock, but would it suffer from an indirect penalty?

"Cedric steps directly back and pivots slightly left, carefully studying his opponent."

I'm hoping I can combine them here. If not, then I will pivot slightly and evaluate and not step backAs I understand it, a Step allows a free change to any facing - even a 180 - as your character spins more-or-less "in place" to face the new direction. However, once you start actually Moving, you're assumed to be moving at full speed, which makes it harder to turn on a dime - leading to the base "move-turn facing-move-turn facing" costing. Basically, if you're making a "Move" or "Attack and Move" or "All-Out Attack", you effectively have to make a turn spread out over multiple hexes, rather than turning in place within a single hex.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-29, 03:50 PM
Wouldn't a reduction in weapon skill (temporary though it is) penalize parries, which are based on weapon skill? I know there's no direct penalty to active defense from shock, but would it suffer from an indirect penalty?

No. The rules expressly exclude defensive rolls such as Active Defences, resistance rolls and Fright Checks (see 2nd paragraph of Shock on p.B419 and Temporary Attribute Penalties box on p.B421).

As I understand it, a Step allows a free change to any facing - even a 180 - as your character spins more-or-less "in place" to face the new direction. However, once you start actually Moving, you're assumed to be moving at full speed, which makes it harder to turn on a dime - leading to the base "move-turn facing-move-turn facing" costing. Basically, if you're making a "Move" or "Attack and Move" or "All-Out Attack", you effectively have to make a turn spread out over multiple hexes, rather than turning in place within a single hex.

For a Step, you can move 1 hex/yard in any direction and change facing before or after you move (or instead of moving). As you can step backwards or sidestep and then turn, this normally allows you to be in any adjacent hex facing any direction at end of an Evaluate or Ready manoeuvre (for example).

Of course, that freedom only exists for the limited Step. When moving further distances, such as All-out Attack, Move, or Move and Attacks manoeuvres, then the normal movement costings apply.

I'm hoping I can combine them here. If not, then I will pivot slightly and evaluate and not step back

So. Short answer = this is totally legit (I'll update turn in minute :smallsmile:).

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-29, 05:34 PM
Cedric's sixth turn

Evaluate bonus +1 next turn

---

Breastplate Thug's sixth turn

With a swishing sound, the thug's blade swings through the empty place that Cedric no longer occupies.

Attack manoeuvre
step forward and swing bastard sword
*clatter*
Dice say 15, a failure
---

EDIT: Map updated. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Cedric%20MC3-6.png)

---

Devereux
2009-11-29, 07:20 PM
Cedric steps forward and takes a quick slash at Sword Thug's left arm!

Cedric steps diagonally right and forward, so up on the map.
Swordsword (14), 15 skill, -2 aimed attack, +1 evaluation.
Damage: [roll0]

Devereux
2009-11-29, 07:21 PM
Botched the skill roll post and only posted damage, sorry
[roll0]

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-29, 08:57 PM
Cedric's seventh turn

The thug backs away as he blocks the shortsword swing with his own blade.

Parry with Retreat (step back, +1 to Parry)
*clatter*
Dice roll of 8, a success
---

Breastplate Thug's seventh turn

Then he mis-swings his bastard sword at Cedric, before side-stepping to his right.

Attack manoeuvre
swing bastard sword, then sidestep right
*clatter*
Dice roll is 15, a failure
---

Map updated. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Cedric%20MC3-7.png)

---

Devereux
2009-11-29, 10:00 PM
Cedric, frustrated, bolts out in front of the bastard-sword wielding thug, and to his right side, pivoting to attack him there, and swinging at the sword thug's right arm.

Cedric runs to the right-hand side of the thug, in a move-and-attack maneuver, aiming at the arm, since he will be reduced to a skill of 9 anyway.

Sword (9), skill 15, -4 for run, -2 for aiming at the arm
[roll0]

EDIT: for the explanation of choice. Also, after re-reading NA's and U P's post, I may have totally messed up the "pivot" at the end... If so, I could rework it to be in sword thug's left hand side hex, that might be more feasible?

Devereux
2009-11-29, 10:01 PM
Roll for damage, because I forgot again
[roll0]

NamelessArchon
2009-11-30, 09:50 AM
EDIT: for the explanation of choice. Also, after re-reading NA's and U P's post, I may have totally messed up the "pivot" at the end... If so, I could rework it to be in sword thug's left hand side hex, that might be more feasible?I think you can reach the thug's front-right, front-left, and rear-left hexes with 5 move in each case. (If you have 6 move, you can even perfectly align facing towards the thug in the left-rear case, or even reach the thug's rear-right hex with less-than-perfect alignment - and then use your "one free facing change" to have run all the way around your foe!)

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-30, 09:00 PM
Assuming that Cedric has Move 4 from light encumbrance...

He can move to the thug's Right side-hex in 4 and then use the "free" facing change that lets you turn 60-degrees at the end of your move. This would leave him facing "north-east" (the hex behind the thug) which would mean the thug is in Cedric's right-most Front hex and attackable as normal.

Or, if you want to move to the thug's Left side-hex, Cedric could get there in 3 move, and then either turn one or two facings to look "north-west" or "south-west" as preferred.

Devereux
2009-11-30, 09:03 PM
Or, if you want to move to the thug's Left side-hex, Cedric could get there in 3 move, and then either turn one or two facings to look "north-west" or "south-west" as preferredRoger, let's go with the left-side, facing "SW" on the map :) I think I'm pretty clear on movement/step/turn now

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-01, 10:40 AM
Cedric's eighth turn

The thug retreats in the face of Cedric's attempt to out-manoeuvre him, but not fast enough. Cedric's blade slashes deep into the thug's left arm, causing the limb to slump.

Parry with Retreat (step directly away, turning one facing, +1 to Parry)
*clatter*
11, a failure.

7 points cutting damage, x1.5 = 10 points. This is more than 1/2 total HP. So, 6 HP injury to the target, excess is lost, and the limb is crippled. This also counts as a Major Wound, necessitating a HT roll against knockdown/stunning.
*clatter*
Dice roll 7, so the thug is still standing. Of course, the normal Shock penalty still applies (-4 in this case).

Note that, although you initially said right arm, that was when you were planning Cedric to be on Breastplate Thug's right-hand side. It seems more realistic to me that on the other flank, the left arm would make a more sensible target (in fact I'd argue that targeting a limb on the opposite side should be more difficult, but I'm not sure the rules cover this specifically). In any case, it makes little difference with a heavy two-handed weapon.
---

Breastplate Thug's eighth turn

No longer possessing the strength to wield his weapon effectively, the thug throws his blade to the ground and surrenders.

Cedric has won!

There was no point continuing at this juncture, as barring a freak accident, Cedric now has total superiority in the battle.
---

Final positions. (http://cid-196da076084427c3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Banestorm%20PbP/Cedric%20MC3-8.PNG)

---

Devereux
2009-12-01, 11:30 AM
Cedric quietly cries over Eniarch's corpse, gloats over the Sword Thug's corpse, laughs at Sword Thug's defeated twin, and looks around for Axe Thug

well i admit i learned a lot there. including the step back retreat +1 to parry move. Though it seems like a great idea for someone with a long weapon, I dont think I'd use it in a situation against a 2+ reach weapon.

One other thing I read, but cannot find now: do you need to share a hex to make an unarmed attack?

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-01, 11:42 AM
well i admit i learned a lot there. including the step back retreat +1 to parry move. Though it seems like a great idea for someone with a long weapon, I dont think I'd use it in a situation against a 2+ reach weapon.

Right. I've been thinking I should prob add Retreat to the optional rules post if it's not in GURPS Lite.

One other thing I read, but cannot find now: do you need to share a hex to make an unarmed attack?

As normal, that depends. :smallsmile: But usually, yes. Punches and grapples have a reach of C. However, certain attacks (kicks spring to mind) have a reach of C, 1.

Devereux
2009-12-01, 11:49 AM
Right. I've been thinking I should prob add Retreat to the optional rules post if it's not in GURPS Lite.

As normal, that depends. :smallsmile: But usually, yes. Punches and grapples have a reach of C. However, certain attacks (kicks spring to mind) have a reach of C, 1.
How about minimum reach of certain weapons? For example, if I've grappled you, or at C range, then can an armed fighter still use their weapon without stepping back? Does that too depend on what weapon? I can't imagine a polearm blade being used in C range, but perhaps the staff portion of it...

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-01, 12:56 PM
How about minimum reach of certain weapons? For example, if I've grappled you, or at C range, then can an armed fighter still use their weapon without stepping back? Does that too depend on what weapon? I can't imagine a polearm blade being used in C range, but perhaps the staff portion of it...

Normally, there would be nothing to stop an unrestrained person from stepping back before they attack. Being grappled of course restricts this movement, and almost any action is harder whilst restrained - this includes close combat attacks such as punches. Using the standard rules, weapons too long for reach C cannot be used at all. Also, shields are more of hindrance in close than a help.

There are advanced rules in GURPS Martial Arts that give more granularity than simply saying "no long weapons in close combat". These include: Pummeling - hitting with the hilt, pommel, butt or knuckle guard of certain weapons; Reversed Grip - using thrusting weapons in an "ice-pick grip"; and also variable penalties for trying to use long weapons "normally", depending on the reach length. Naturally, cool though I think these options are, they also add more complexity.

NamelessArchon
2009-12-04, 10:26 AM
Using the standard rules, weapons too long for reach C cannot be used at all.This is exactly why Eniarch has points in Brawling. Once grappled, a staff (reach 1,2) is useless, and his expansive array of spells might as well be cheese-in-a-can for all the good it will do against an opponent, as you can't Concentrate in a grapple.