PDA

View Full Version : A little Mass Effect 2 question

Jeivar
2009-11-16, 10:37 AM
I've been trying to avoid spoilers like the plague, but I formed a real attachment to the original NPC squad, and if I go into Mass Effect 2 expecting/hoping to have them with me again, I know I'll play through the whole thing haunted by a nagging sense of disappointment if that turns out to not be the case.

So I'd just like to know this one thing, and nothing else: Have the devs revealed whether Shepard's original squadmates (or at least the romanceable ones) will tag along, or only get cameo roles?

thegurullamen
2009-11-16, 02:01 PM
I've been trying to avoid spoilers like the plague, but I formed a real attachment to the original NPC squad, and if I go into Mass Effect 2 expecting/hoping to have them with me again, I know I'll play through the whole thing haunted by a nagging sense of disappointment if that turns out to not be the case.

So I'd just like to know this one thing, and nothing else: Have the devs revealed whether Shepard's original squadmates (or at least the romanceable ones) will tag along, or only get cameo roles?

Yes they have.

It's a mixed bag. Tali's in, Garrus might be in, and the rest seem to be cameos.

Jeivar
2009-11-16, 02:07 PM
****. Well, at least I know. Thanks.

Arbitrarity
2009-11-16, 03:25 PM
Garrus has a sick cameo though. He has his own mission, according to G4TV, and looks badass. If all the "cameos" are that good, I'm happy.

Jeivar
2009-11-17, 10:43 AM
Ah, well, maybe this is actually a good thing; Given the possibility that the entire team will get killed during the ending depending on the player's choices, then this would mean that the original bunch will definitely be alive during the third game.
Maybe that's why they're not being included: The second game will be the "Empire Strikes Back" doom'n'gloom entry in the series, with the possibility for an NPC massacre, and the third will feature the gang we all know and love, either grieving for Shepard, or working under him/her again.

Hey, a guy can hope. I think Ash, Liara and Wrex deserve more than one game.

Warpfire
2009-11-17, 12:26 PM
Yes they have.

It's a mixed bag. Tali's in, Garrus might be in, and the rest seem to be cameos.

Seriously? Out of all the companions they picked Tali?

Rage.

Also I don't see the point of spoilers for a game that hasn't even come out yet...

Jeivar
2009-11-17, 12:31 PM

I'm a bit worried that all the weirdoes that complained about the lack of a Tali or Garrus romance managed to influence the devs . . .:smalleek:

Querzis
2009-11-17, 03:34 PM

Rage.

Hum as far as I can tell Tali, Wrex and Garrus are the three most popular teamates. You might have not liked her but she was the most popular female member of the team overall. It also make sense that Garrus would have solo mission instead of being in the team since he said he was going to become a spectre.

As for Wrex, we just dont know if hes still alive since at one point during the first game most people end up fighting him. And either Ash or Kaidan must be dead so I dont think they will reveal which one of the two survived until the game is out. I'm surprised they didnt say anything about Liara though.

Oh and by the way, Garrus and Tali always act like an old couple when you take both of them as teamates so I'm pretty damn sure the devs expected this to happen Jeivar.

KBF
2009-11-17, 03:34 PM
Also I don't see the point of spoilers for a game that hasn't even come out yet...

Games with this high a profile nearly always have large amounts of leaked content. And not just gameplay demos or similar, but playtesters that literally just record whole sessions. Apparently security can be pretty lax.

Jeivar
2009-11-17, 04:00 PM
Oh and by the way, Garrus and Tali always act like an old couple when you take both of them as teamates so I'm pretty damn sure the devs expected this to happen Jeivar.

I meant the folks who wanted to be able to romance either one of them as Shepard.

Just . . . yuck.

Mewtarthio
2009-11-17, 07:46 PM
I meant the folks who wanted to be able to romance either one of them as Shepard.

Just . . . yuck.

Racist. Love is beautiful, no matter the form. Even if it involves a clawed lizard-thing with a freakishly partitioned mouth who would go into anaphylactic shock if he attempted to eat human food. Or a girl whose face is never seen because she can never leave her personal HAZMAT suit lest she catch a cold and die.

Tom_Violence
2009-11-18, 08:09 AM
As for Wrex, we just dont know if hes still alive since at one point during the first game most people end up fighting him. And either Ash or Kaidan must be dead so I dont think they will reveal which one of the two survived until the game is out.

Isn't everything different for everyone depending on the decisions that people made in the first game? Either Ash or Kaidan could be alive, based on which one you chose to save. Same deal with Wrex.

Optimystik
2009-11-18, 09:53 AM
Hum as far as I can tell Tali, Wrex and Garrus are the three most popular teamates. You might have not liked her but she was the most popular female member of the team overall. It also make sense that Garrus would have solo mission instead of being in the team since he said he was going to become a spectre.

Do you have a source for that? I've actually never used Tali, ever, and I've beaten the game 6 times now. I always thought Ashley was more popular, even if it was as much through infamy as through fame half the time.

As for Wrex, we just dont know if hes still alive since at one point during the first game most people end up fighting him. And either Ash or Kaidan must be dead so I dont think they will reveal which one of the two survived until the game is out. I'm surprised they didnt say anything about Liara though.

Liara will most likely survive; she has the most use narrative-wise of all the characters, since she is the only person in the party, and perhaps even in the entire galaxy, who picked up that there were races around BEFORE the Protheans.

"I cannot point to one specific thing to prove my case; it is more a feeling garnered from decades of research. But I know I am right."

I have a feeling that the knowledge of those precursors will be crucial in stopping the Reapers.

That's something else I've never done. Why would you have both Garrus and Tali? Two hackers seems a bit redundant to me. You'd wreck any geth and probes but organic enemies would give you fits, especially the ones like Rachni that don't use weapons.

The_JJ
2009-11-18, 10:09 AM
Do you have a source for that? I've actually never used Tali, ever, and I've beaten the game 6 times now. I always thought Ashley was more popular, even if it was as much through infamy as through fame half the time.

Nah, that's about the vibe I get from the internet at large. And you're missing out on Geth Hacking fun.

Liara will most likely survive; she has the most use narrative-wise of all the characters, since she is the only person in the party, and perhaps even in the entire galaxy, who picked up that there were races around BEFORE the Protheans.

"I cannot point to one specific thing to prove my case; it is more a feeling garnered from decades of research. But I know I am right."

I have a feeling that the knowledge of those precursors will be crucial in stopping the Reapers.

Weren't they already? :smalltongue:

That's something else I've never done. Why would you have both Garrus and Tali? Two hackers seems a bit redundant to me. You'd wreck any geth and probes but organic enemies would give you fits, especially the ones like Rachni that don't use weapons.

Yes, but then you give Tali a shotgun and Garrus an assualt rifle and watch the meatbags die. Plus, most missions who can get a good sense of what you're in for, so on those Geth heavy ones... you go through them like hot butter.

Zevox
2009-11-18, 10:15 AM
Seems to me that'd work fine if you were playing a biotic or half-biotic character. Garrus is a fine soldier armed with a rifle, and Tali does well with a shotgun. The net effect would be a bit tech-heavy, but plenty strong on the whole. And most organic enemies would suffer plenty from the Overload and Sabotage abilities those two bring to the table.

Zevox

Querzis
2009-11-18, 10:26 AM
Isn't everything different for everyone depending on the decisions that people made in the first game? Either Ash or Kaidan could be alive, based on which one you chose to save.

Yes thats exactly what I'm saying, at least one of them must be dead. We dont know which one but you cant finish the game without one of them dying and I really dont think they will reveal which one survived before the game come out.

I was more talking about their personnality then about how effective they are in the game. Ashley is really good but I still dont like her. Anyway, its just the general vibe you get on the internet. Just go watch some youtube video of Mass Effect or go to TvTropes, I see lots Wrex, Tali or Garrus is awesome but Liara fans are harder to find. As for your humans teammates, most people agree they are kinda bland. Anyway, honestly, if you beaten the game six times without ever taking different teammates you're missing lots of story. Its not just that they all have different opinion about everything and never react the same way, they also have different interaction between each others.

Yeah as I said I'm kinda surprised they didnt say anything about Liara.

Why use both? Because as I said, they got some of the funniest interaction in the game since they act like an old couple. Anyway, Garrus has the highest damage output and Tali rarely ever miss with a pistol and can be awesome with the shotgun so if you're looking just for damage dealer, they can do a pretty good team.

Jeivar
2009-11-18, 10:34 AM
Yes thats exactly what I'm saying, at least one of them must be dead. We dont know which one but you cant finish the game without one of them dying and I really dont think they will reveal which one survived before the game come out.

Uh, your choices from ME1 carries over into the sequel. Either one is still alive, depending on which one you saved.

Optimystik
2009-11-18, 10:47 AM
I was more talking about their personnality then about how effective they are in the game. Ashley is really good but I still dont like her. Anyway, its just the general vibe you get on the internet. Just go watch some youtube video of Mass Effect or go to TvTropes, I see lots Wrex, Tali or Garrus is awesome but Liara fans are harder to find. As for your humans teammates, most people agree they are kinda bland. Anyway, honestly, if you beaten the game six times without ever taking different teammates you're missing lots of story. Its not just that they all have different opinion about everything and never react the same way, they also have different interaction between each others.

Oh I never said I didn't change teammates - I have. I just never tried Tali because I have the hots for prefer Garrus, or make Shepard the techmonkey.

For the interactions, I'm not missing as much as you think - I can just throw Tali in the party and ride the elevators a few times, or even head to Youtube like you said. :smallsmile: Combat-wise, the only advantage she has over the others is AI Hacking; like you said, Garrus does a lot more damage with Assassination.

Although Hacking can be a big advantage at the higher difficulties.

Why use both? Because as I said, they got some of the funniest interaction in the game since they act like an old couple. Anyway, Garrus has the highest damage output and Tali rarely ever miss with a pistol and can be awesome with the shotgun so if you're looking just for damage dealer, they can do a pretty good team.

She won't do much damage if she's dead. Electronics is the only defensive move she has (boosts her shields.) Meanwhile, Wrex can also use shotguns, Heavy Armor, Barrier AND Immunity - he's a freaking TANK. When maxed, his stasis can take anything out of the fight, even a Geth Colossus. He has the damage and can last long enough to pour it on, and because he fights at close range, keeps the enemies away from Garrus so he can snipe.

Not saying that Garrus + Tali is impossible, just a suboptimal team to me. :smallsmile:

Optimystik
2009-11-18, 10:55 AM
Racist. Love is beautiful, no matter the form. Even if it involves a clawed lizard-thing with a freakishly partitioned mouth who would go into anaphylactic shock if he attempted to eat human food. Or a girl whose face is never seen because she can never leave her personal HAZMAT suit lest she catch a cold and die.

Turians can eat human food, it just doesn't do anything for them. Codex: "At best, passes through their systems without harm." Noveria: the Turian guard that wants a donut.

Weren't they already? :smalltongue:

The Protheans were critical, but we still don't know much about the race(s) that existed before them. The fact that she mentioned it smacks of foreshadowing to me.

Yes, but then you give Tali a shotgun and Garrus an assualt rifle and watch the meatbags die. Plus, most missions who can get a good sense of what you're in for, so on those Geth heavy ones... you go through them like hot butter.

Wrex with a shotgun and Garrus with an assault rifle has the same effect on my playthroughs, with the added benefit that one guy is almost immune to biotics and can take a few rockets to the face.

Zevox
2009-11-18, 11:03 AM
She won't do much damage if she's dead. Electronics is the only defensive move she has (boosts her shields.)
But that's also a permanent boost to her shields, not a temporary one. Because of that, tech-monkeys like her get insane shields compared to everyone else. She generally has no problem staying alive in my experience. Her only real problem is that Quorian armor is so damn impossible to find.

Not saying that Garrus + Tali is impossible, just a suboptimal team to me. :smallsmile:
Perhaps, but not badly. Both Garrus and Tali and solid characters, and while Tali may not be a tank like Ash or Wrex, she makes up for it with her variety of tech talents and is still a solid damage dealer with a shotgun. I used her + Ash mainly for my first play through (I was an Adept), and they worked great. Only had trouble with Tali surviving very early on, before I had her Electronics up to a good level.

Zevox

Optimystik
2009-11-18, 11:19 AM
But that's also a permanent boost to her shields, not a temporary one. Because of that, tech-monkeys like her get insane shields compared to everyone else.

I'm aware, but that doesn't help much when you're up against enemies that ignore shields. On higher difficulties, Rachni chew through her and Thorian Creepers barf through her; shields don't block plasma shots or physical attacks, and only partially block concussive damage like rockets or "carnage" shotgun blasts.

Perhaps, but not badly. Both Garrus and Tali and solid characters, and while Tali may not be a tank like Ash or Wrex, she makes up for it with her variety of tech talents and is still a solid damage dealer with a shotgun. I used her + Ash mainly for my first play through (I was an Adept), and they worked great. Only had trouble with Tali surviving very early on, before I had her Electronics up to a good level.

Even so, there is redundancy. To make both Garrus and Tali survivable, you have to max Electronics for both, but to hack computers you only need one. Meanwhile, Kaiden and Liara have both Barrier AND Electronics, while Wrex has Barrier and Immunity. The fact that Barrier is temporary isn't a big deal because your firefights shouldn't last long enough for it to be an issue anyway.

Now, it's not a bad idea to max Electronics for all your characters anyway, but if your secondary can rely on Barrier to get the job done up to, say, level 50, that frees him/her up to max other skills first.

"Not badly" suboptimal is a dangerous threshold; a hairsbreadth difference matters a great deal on Insanity.

Jeivar
2009-11-18, 11:30 AM
I've never understood the Ashley hate. Yes, she's not perfect, but I LIKE that she has flaws. It makes her more real, and also makes her nicer moments more precious, since they show that she ultimately has a good heart.

Optimystik
2009-11-18, 12:01 PM
I've never understood the Ashley hate. Yes, she's not perfect, but I LIKE that she has flaws. It makes her more real, and also makes her nicer moments more precious, since they show that she ultimately has a good heart.

I don't think anyone was hating on Ashley in this thread. :smallconfused:

I disliked her comment in the citadel ("I can't tell the aliens from the animals") - that was definitely borderline racist - but she has plenty of good points to offset that.

Zevox
2009-11-18, 12:30 PM
I'm aware, but that doesn't help much when you're up against enemies that ignore shields. On higher difficulties, Rachni chew through her and Thorian Creepers barf through her; shields don't block plasma shots or physical attacks, and only partially block concussive damage like rockets or "carnage" shotgun blasts.

Even so, there is redundancy. To make both Garrus and Tali survivable, you have to max Electronics for both, but to hack computers you only need one. Meanwhile, Kaiden and Liara have both Barrier AND Electronics, while Wrex has Barrier and Immunity. The fact that Barrier is temporary isn't a big deal because your firefights shouldn't last long enough for it to be an issue anyway.

Now, it's not a bad idea to max Electronics for all your characters anyway, but if your secondary can rely on Barrier to get the job done up to, say, level 50, that frees him/her up to max other skills first.

"Not badly" suboptimal is a dangerous threshold; a hairsbreadth difference matters a great deal on Insanity.
Garrus is survivable without maxed out Electronics - he's part physically-oriented, and gets some good armor.

And remember that even if you do, not everyone plays the game solely on insane difficulty. A group does not need to be perfectly optimal to work quite well on most difficulties.

Zevox

Jeivar
2009-11-18, 01:43 PM
I don't think anyone was hating on Ashley in this thread. :smallconfused:

I know, I just meant in general.

Tavar
2009-11-18, 02:29 PM
Garrus is survivable without maxed out Electronics - he's part physically-oriented, and gets some good armor.

And remember that even if you do, not everyone plays the game solely on insane difficulty. A group does not need to be perfectly optimal to work quite well on most difficulties.

Zevox

True, but on the easier difficulties you really don't need to optimize beyond "I like [weapon], I think I'll max [weapon skill]". Really, I haven't found the need to look at any guides beyond that tower puzzle, except if I'm doing Insane.

Thrawn183
2009-11-18, 11:37 PM
Please, play as a soldier and go with Ashley and Wrex. Now that's how you play like a man.

thegurullamen
2009-11-18, 11:59 PM
Please, play as a soldier and go with Ashley and Wrex. Now that's how you play like a man.

That was my first playthrough. I spent the entirety of the penultimate level (Siege of the Citadel) screaming like WRRRRAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!! for a solid twenty minutes. It's an intense if satisfying feeling. (People with weak vocal cords be forewarned.)

Mewtarthio
2009-11-19, 12:03 AM

A renegade soldier. Voiced by Jennifer Hale, naturally.

warty goblin
2009-11-19, 12:07 AM
A renegade soldier. Voiced by Jennifer Hale, naturally.

My Wrex-companioning* Jennifer Hale soldier was a Paragon, but yes. Only one without awesome does not bring Wrex everywhere. Ideally this includes fancy tea parties with British royalty.

*It is my belief that Wrex is so awesome, he isn't your companion. You are his, and you should be flattered. That whole selection screen? It's actually Wrex testing whether or not you have the balls to click his portrait or not. If you don't you will be found wanting.

Caewil
2009-11-24, 08:05 AM
Wrex and Garrus with your main character as a Sentinel is awesome. They just shoot everything to shreds while your character cycles through her entire power list within 15 seconds. Barrier, sabotage, lift, throw, warp, overload, sabotage, repeat. Perma barrier FTW.

Of course, you have problems with rachni but none that lift and throw can't handle.

Optimystik
2009-11-24, 10:01 AM
Of course, you have problems with rachni but none that lift and throw can't handle.

Sentinels also get Medicine (Neural Shock), which can tear Rachni apart. You can also give yourself Singularity as a bonus power and neutralize an entire cluster of Rachni. As a Sentinel, you will likely have a powerful amp anyway, so Singularity will last even longer and allow Wrex and Garrus time to mow the bugs down in short order. Equip Garrus with a powerful Sniper Rifle and he can one-shot Rachni and Krogan with deadly efficiency.

BRC
2009-12-03, 11:15 AM
So recently I saw This (http://xbox360.gamespy.com/dor/objects/14235013/mass-effect-2/videos/masseffect2_trl_samaravideo_113009.html), the intro trailer for another party member, Samara. And I noticed something about her outfit. Then I remembered Subject Zero, the other announced party member. And I noticed a trend, Scantily Clad Females.
Now, This is nothing new for Video games. However, it seems such a distinct departure from Mass Effect one. In ME1, everybody wore rather sensible armor in battle, or other outfits out of battle. Now I'm not going to pretend the females in ME1 weren't easy on the eyes, but in terms of characterization and clothing it was all very practical. Talia wore her environment suit at all times, Ashley wears a simple uniform like all the other alliance soldiers you see, and Liara wore rather sensible clothing. All in all, it was fairly realistic.

Now, for game 2, we've got Samara, who is apparently a Boobiotics user, and Subject "Clothing is unnecessary when you have Tatoos" Zero. Way to lower the common denominator Bioware.

Optimystik
2009-12-03, 11:53 AM
But they are also raising it, in my opinion, by finally allowing homosexual relationships (Dragon Age has them too.) So in my eyes, they aren't pandering to the "boobies for nerds = cash" gaming theory at all.

At least, they aren't JUST panderiing to it. Face it, T&A sells. :smalltongue:

BRC
2009-12-03, 12:20 PM
But they are also raising it, in my opinion, by finally allowing homosexual relationships (Dragon Age has them too.) So in my eyes, they aren't pandering to the "boobies for nerds = cash" gaming theory at all.

At least, they aren't JUST panderiing to it. Face it, T&A sells. :smalltongue:
Oh, I don't mind/ I'm notsurprised by the Fanservice. I'm surprised by the excessive in-your-face nature of it, especially when compared with ME1. Maybe it's just because the character's they've released so far have both been fanservicey.