PDA

View Full Version : Civilization 4: BtS succession game

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Winthur
2010-03-26, 05:36 PM
I have up to BTS and I'd be willilng to jump in at this point. Of course, me and the Noble ranking are going round and round at this point, but as long as I don't have to fight a war we'd be ok.

You won't. Ever. Not in this game.

Ladies. Mentlegen. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sau4Cyu2ZIU) Murska.

At this point, I do not have a prayer in the world that this game is going to be challenging in any way. We've pretty much bagged this game from the moment it turned out to be an Archipelago, that we are capable of seizing a huge territory with no competition from the AI whatsoever, and of course because your team captain has no life except playing video games.

To put this bluntly - we CAN'T lose.

While that thought might have been comforting to Churchill when Germany forfeited its attacks and decided to play defensive, losing more and more territories, in the eyes of me, a gamer who mercilessly uses Slavery on his virtual citizens and discards any compassion, focusing on whatever produces the best result, it's pretty much a horror.

In fact, if Black Isle's prediction for the future is correct, I will be Lynette's (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/1/15/FO02_NPC_Lynette.png) great-great-grandpa.

No wonder the interest in the Succession Game waned. There isn't much to accomplish. All that is left is to grow our cities, skyrocket through the tech tree and adhere to the "honorable" ruleset, which can be fun in many scenarios (HINT: Not the ones when you are going to get most of the land thanks to the AI's ineptitude at handling island maps), but in this one it's just begging for a TVTropes reference (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlel164s0xw?from=Main.WhyDontYaJustShootHim).

I foresee a boring task unveiling itself in front of our eyes. Countless turns spent on pressing "ENTER" because there's nothing to do while the spaceship is built.

What I propose is something else altogether. At first the idea of everything being random felt interesting because it promised an exploration of different new ideas. Well, this time, however, we got shafted. As anyone who tried to make a sculpture out of dog crap can testify, the map we have here isn't going to be a foundation for a gripping game.

I can also observe that the idea of war is what our fine Playgrounders feel really uncomfortable with. That's nothing to be ashamed about, since it actually often appears to be a too demanding task for no benefit at all (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=312529). Well, since the part of the fun was learning new things, I believe we have to

So let's scrap that stupid peacefest. I am volunteering for the idea for starting anew! Our G.E.C.K is going to be a game on a huge connected landmass, like Pangaea or Donut. We're going to destroy EVERYBODY, including Mr. Tweetums. All birds in our new empire shall be enslaved!

Of course, we have done a lot of war in the first succession game. However, the situation was pretty much the same as it is now - zip past the AI in everything and then proceed to crush helpless nations with huge armies.

We just made a curbstomp because everything was so easy.

Sure, AIs are a challenge for some household cleaners, but not for Playgrounders. So let's spice it up. Prince difficulty? Still fine with me, but maybe with Raging Barbarians in the mix? And a leader with no obvious economic advantage like Genghis Khan? And maybe with early warmonging? Put those Elephants and Catapults to battle!

tl;dr: Let's start a new game focused on warmonging, because the current one is simply boring.

Who's with me? Who's against me? Who abstains? Who doesn't care? Who can lend me some money for my daily caffeine shots?

happyturtle
2010-03-26, 05:39 PM
For Spain! For the glory of the true faith!

Murska
2010-03-26, 05:56 PM
Now that sounds more like it. My holy task will be the unending attempt to achieve enuff dakka for our glorious warmachine.

happyturtle
2010-03-27, 12:53 AM
Pangea map, difficulty Prince?

Play as Isabella
Discover 1 religion only. Raze the holy cities of all other religions.
Once we tech to Theocracy, switch to it and never come off it the rest of the game. This means defying resolutions if necessary.
Make all decisions about diplomacy, which wars to join, how to respond to random events, based on religion. "The in-laws held a lavish Buddhist wedding against our wishes? DECLARE A HOLY WAR!" "Shaka wants to give us corn for iron, but he's our religion? Sure! Sounds like an excellent deal!"
Try to get the Apostolic palace so we can force our lunacy on the rest of the world.
Missionary spam continuously.

Goal at end of game (besides winning) is to have our religion present in every city on the map.

Extra win if every nation has the national faith of our religion.

Extra extra win if every nation has theocracy as well.

What do we say? Anyone up for a Spanish Inquisition? :smallbiggrin:

Winthur
2010-03-27, 06:14 AM
Sounds fun. :smallsmile:

I will roll up a map when I install Civ4 on this computer.

Jonzac
2010-03-27, 03:49 PM
I'd like to give it a try.

Dave Hartwick
2010-03-28, 05:17 AM
I think you need to turn up the difficulty level. Also it would be easier to read if you broke games into separate threads. They don't cost money.

Terraoblivion
2010-03-28, 05:27 AM
Sounds like it would be fun. The world will tremble before the might of the Spanish Inquisition. Even as they don't expect us. I am also fine with raising the difficulty, i think. Should be fun to see.

happyturtle
2010-03-28, 05:32 AM
I'm still trying to win my first game on Prince.

I started one earlier today, and my neighbors are Stalin to the West, Alexander to the east, and Hannibal to the south. I have room for maybe one city in each direction. And I suck at war.

I don't think I'm going to win this one.

Dave Hartwick
2010-03-28, 05:35 AM
What civ are you, happyturtle?

happyturtle
2010-03-28, 06:33 AM
Isabella of ZOMG CONVERT OR DIE HEATHENS!!!!!

Dave Hartwick
2010-03-28, 07:13 AM
Start a religion, send missionaries to two of your rivals, not neglecting to get out those 3 cities you mentioned. None of your neighbors is likely to go for a religion, so you have a window for diplomatic shenanigans. I'd pick Stalin as the patsy because he's industrious and in hopes I'd get Stonehenge or the Great Wall or whatever he builds. Alexander will be the most problematic in the mid term, Hannibal in the long term (guessing). Don't be afraid to give into some demands from your "buddies".

I'm no great shakes at wars, either, and usually try to get maps where I'm semi-isolated, but learning how to pull off an early game rush when appropriate is a key to Civ IV, even, IMO, for those who specialize in culture or space victories.

Terraoblivion
2010-03-30, 11:33 PM
So raging barbarians, single, unified landmass, Isabella and happyturtle's fundie rules. In that case, make it happen Captain Winthur. The playground stands ready to support its new, supreme leader.

happyturtle
2010-03-31, 01:51 AM
I never finished that game. I started practicing the Immortal Rush with Cyrus, and after a few false starts, where I suceeded in early wars but ground my economy to a crushing halt, I finally got a game going where I'm on my way to a Conquest or Domination victory... on Prince! :smallbiggrin:

Settings on this game are no barbs, no goody huts, standard Pangea map, marathon speed. I started stealing workers with my two exploring warriors, and without barbs, they all made it home with no problems. Got horses with my second city and started sending out the waves of immortals. The first proper war (instead of just worker theft) was started before i was really ready, because I had an opportunity to steal a settler from the Incans, my next neighbor. I was able to raze his second city, but I didn't have enough to storm his capital. But after resting and preparing properly, I took his capital the next war along, making it my third city and eradicating him. The next neighbor after him was Ghandi, who had helpfully founded two religions. I took Bombay and Delhi and razed a third useless city, and India was no more.

By this time I rather needed to stop and rebuild. Fortunately, the only nation who liked me, Korea, had researched all the religion techs and was willing to trade them for ones he'd neglected, so that kept me from falling too far behind when I had to run my economy on 10% culture for a while. Srsly, Wang Kong? You thought Priesthood was more important than Pottery? :smalltongue: Was good for me though.

I was still in rebuilding mode when the rest of the world dow'd me. Immortals get defensive bonuses, so mostly they flung themselves against my cities and died. They've done that twice more since then, though Sitting Bull realized that fighting me didn't go well for him and didn't join in after the first time. I got the horse whisperer quest, which was a good synergy with Cyrus as I was building all those stables anyway, and took the free upgrade of all mounted units to sentry. Not that you need more than one sentry in a stack, but it's certainly convenient.

Now that I have Guilds, I'm upgrading all my veteran Immortals to Knights so I can stomp Genghis's Keshiks. After that is Catherine, then Justinian, and I'll save Sitting Bull for last. Wang keeps offering to be my vassal, so I'll probably take him up on it after Ghengis. Actually though, i'll probably have domination by the time I finish Cathy.

At this point, I could easily settle down and go for the culture win by building cathedrals in Persopolis, Bombay, and Delhi, but I really want a war win. :smallsmile:

happyturtle
2010-04-07, 06:48 AM
The Playground Inquisition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8240541#post8240541) has begun!