PDA

View Full Version : [3.x]Brainstorming For a Build

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-16, 01:57 PM
Basic idea: Familiars. Lots and lots of them. By taking the Extra Familiar feat from Dragon Mag several times .
No, I shan't default to leadership.
Yes familiars are a weakness most casters shun, but I could use that as I'm considered an optimizer by my group. Mumble mumble wraithstrike powerattacking gish......

1- UA Generic Caster-5 is a must for the start. Two bonus feats, the skills I want (like UMD) and spontaneous casting from the big core 3. But what to fill the other 15 levels with? Ideas are welcome, including 3rd party ideas. Alienist-5 and fleshwarper are no nos.

2-Preferred familiars and the needed levels are:
-a monkey (Start)- Think "Helper Monkey", but with wands.
-eyeball Beholderkin (5)- Unique method of turning a touch into a range spell
-Skiurrid (?)-Not listed as an Imp. Familiar, but a CR1/4, so would you say 3 or 5th level to get one?
-A Mephit (7)-An extra set of hands. Just need to pick one... (or maybe one of those ant people things?)
-I'm not sure what else to get. I was thinking about something I could Spellstitch, but I can't find anything with a Wis over 12. Also, the construct familiars from Comp War.

3-A human with 1 flaw can get 7 feats at level six. Obtain Familiar, Extra Familiar x4 , Improved Familiar and Enspell Familiar. Later get CWI, token familiar and Imp. toughness (?)

4-Equipment will get costly (Barding x5 on top of character equipment), but sharing the proper spells can help this. Shapesand and crafting skills can mitigate this some.

5- Improved familiars give you the Alertness feat/ come with crap feats of their own: Retrain/Chaos Shuffle/Reformation?

6-Need to list 3rd party book options and spells.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-16, 02:01 PM
Item familiar? Just 'cause it's broken?

You know you eventually want to tack on leadership too. Just because the resulting carnival following you would be amusing.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-16, 02:03 PM
Does it have to be Familiars? A 1-level dip in Druid gets you an AC and the ability to take Beastmaster, and the Wild Cohort feat gets you another decent animal.

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-16, 02:07 PM
yes familiars. Animal companions are just dumb animals.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-16, 02:10 PM
Basic idea: Familiars. Lots and lots of them. By taking the Extra Familiar feat from Dragon Mag several times .
No, I shan't default to leadership.
Yes familiars are a weakness most casters shun, but I could use that as I'm considered an optimizer by my group. Mumble mumble wraithstrike powerattacking gish......

1- UA Generic Caster-5 is a must for the start. Two bonus feats, the skills I want (like UMD) and spontaneous casting from the big core 3. But what to fill the other 15 levels with? Ideas are welcome, including 3rd party ideas. Alienist-5 and fleshwarper are no nos.

2-Preferred familiars and the needed levels are:
-a monkey (Start)- Think "Helper Monkey", but with wands.
-eyeball Beholderkin (5)- Unique method of turning a touch into a range spell
-Skiurrid (?)-Not listed as an Imp. Familiar, but a CR1/4, so would you say 3 or 5th level to get one?
-A Mephit (7)-An extra set of hands. Just need to pick one... (or maybe one of those ant people things?)
-I'm not sure what else to get. I was thinking about something I could Spellstitch, but I can't find anything with a Wis over 12. Also, the construct familiars from Comp War.

3-A human with 1 flaw can get 7 feats at level six. Obtain Familiar, Extra Familiar x4 , Improved Familiar and Enspell Familiar. Later get CWI, token familiar and Imp. toughness (?)

4-Equipment will get costly (Barding x5 on top of character equipment), but sharing the proper spells can help this. Shapesand and crafting skills can mitigate this some.

5- Improved familiars give you the Alertness feat/ come with crap feats of their own: Retrain/Chaos Shuffle/Reformation?

6-Need to list 3rd party book options and spells.

Imps are pritty good.

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-16, 02:32 PM
An item Familiar would be nice, IF I could find some way to grant it motion so it can come to me if it is taken...

I'd expect you to recommend an imp, RC :smallamused:

Telonius
2009-11-16, 02:42 PM
There's an "Darkness Familiar" feat from Dragon 322. Dark Creeper familiar (requires 10th level) plus the Lurking Familiar feat from PHB2 could give you some nifty Sneak Attack shenanigans. (Dark Creepers are natural Rogues).

BooNL
2009-11-16, 04:13 PM
Incarnates can summon a Lifespark to follow them around, basically like a familiar. It is a tiny sphere of light that changes colour depending on its mood.

Psions have psicrystals, familiar-like crystals with their own personality. Can also summon Astral Constructs if you need some extra hands in combat.