PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Psion build advice

Behold_the_Void
2009-11-16, 02:31 PM
Going to be starting a 4e game soon and for the first time since a one-shot I took part in a few months back, I actually get to play instead of DM. Further, playing a Psion has been OK'd by the DM, which is even more exciting since I love Psionics and what the Psion class is.

So I'm looking for some build tips. My essential working concept is a Changeling Psion who uses his shapeshifting and telepathic abilities to really get into people's heads and mess with their minds. Here's the build I've got thus far:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Gregor, level 6
Changeling, Psion
Build: Telepathic Psion
Discipline Focus: Telepathy Focus

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 19, Wis 10, Cha 19.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 21 Fort: 15 Reflex: 18 Will: 21
HP: 44 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +14, Diplomacy +12, Perception +8, Arcana +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +4, Heal +3, History +7, Insight +5, Intimidate +7, Nature +3, Religion +7, Stealth +3, Streetwise +7, Thievery +3, Athletics +3

FEATS
Psion: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Implement Expertise (orb)
Level 2: Armor Proficiency (Leather)
Level 4: Discipline Adept
Level 6: Improved Initiative

POWERS
Psion at-will 1: Mind Thrust
Psion at-will 1: Dishearten
Psion daily 1: Ravening Thought
Psion utility 2: Intellect Fortress
Psion at-will 3: Betrayal
Psion daily 5: Crisis of Identity
Psion utility 6: Steadfast Stanchion

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Orb of Inevitable Continuance +1, Irrefutable Leather Armor +2, Bracers of Mental Might (heroic tier), Cape of the Mountebank +1
RITUALS
Sending

Of the equipment, the only one I'm at all attached to is Orb of Inevitable Continuance because it seemed appropriate. The general theme of my build is someone who's kind of a shade on the evil end in that he's something of an "ends justify the means" chessmaster type who specializes in deception and control. Power suggestions aren't really as necessary since there aren't many and I'm usually picking those that are most thematic (generally domination-themed, though advice is always welcome), but feat and equipment suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks!

dsmiles
2009-11-16, 02:35 PM
Sorry. Don't know anything about 4e Psionics, however, telepaths in 3.5e were the bomb.

Edit: Especially telepath/rogues. Oh, the tangled web we weave....

Kurald Galain
2009-11-16, 02:38 PM
Check my sig for equipment options (it was written for wizards but applies to any controller).

I would recommend against Leather Armor Prof: overall, investing in resistances is much more effective than slight increases to your defense stats. A nice alternative may be any multiclass feat, for the extra trick it gives you.

It's okay to have a score of 8. Most builds do it, and you won't notice it in play. Also, mental might bracelets aren't necessary as long as you have a big strong guy in the party.

Aron Times
2009-11-16, 02:50 PM
Of the equipment, the only one I'm at all attached to is Orb of Inevitable Continuance because it seemed appropriate. The general theme of my build is someone who's kind of a shade on the evil end in that he's something of an "ends justify the means" chessmaster type who specializes in deception and control. Power suggestions aren't really as necessary since there aren't many and I'm usually picking those that are most thematic (generally domination-themed, though advice is always welcome), but feat and equipment suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks!
My Melisizwe is a bald, black leader guy with mind control powers on a quest for World Peace. Basically, we're both playing Lelouch. :smallbiggrin:

For equipment, you have many options.

1. Cunning Quarterstaff - Lets your dailies last longer (-2 save in heroic, -3 in paragon, -4 in epic). Becomes crazy with Dominating Mind (-2 to the first save) and Phrenic Crown (-1 save penalty per tier).

2. Orb of Inescapable Consequences - When you really want to mind control the target, use this. It allows you to inflict status conditions that normally require a hit on a miss, once per day. It's basically an auto-hit minus the damage, but then again, you didn't choose the psion for damage.

3. Phrenic Crown - -1 save on Will attacks per tier.

4. Irrefutable Armor - Once per day, reroll a Will attack with a bonus equal to the armor's enhancement bonus. 90% of the psion's disciplines target Will, so this is just plain win.

Edit: Just noticed your character already has this item. :smallsmile:

5. Cloak of Distortion - All of the psion's disciplines have long range, so this effectively gives you +5 to all defenses against most attacks. It doesn't work on area and close attacks, though. But hey, you get to wear a Warder cloak from the Wheel of Time.

Aron Times
2009-11-16, 02:56 PM
Obligatory Code Geass clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ZVKmMyxP0

Note that while you can't command dominated targets to kill themselves, you can make them do other obviously suicidal actions like walking off a cliff, walking into a Wall of Fire, or (my personal favorite), letting them take the run action (+2 to speed, grants combat advantage) to walk into a flurry of opportunity attacks from the entire party.

Mando Knight
2009-11-16, 03:10 PM
Obligatory Code Geass clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ZVKmMyxP0
And on a more epic level, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MiDUcJERaM). (And from the English Dub (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDuSUDlK2dc), which itself is good)

...Also, pick up the phone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmsPeki9fgI#t=0m29s).

Note that while you can't command dominated targets to kill themselves, you can make them do other obviously suicidal actions like walking off a cliff, walking into a Wall of Fire, or (my personal favorite), letting them take the run action (+2 to speed, grants combat advantage) to walk into a flurry of opportunity attacks from the entire party.
It depends on the domination power. The ones that explicitly cause the domination effect, yes, but the other ones restrict your orders further.

Aron Times
2009-11-16, 03:24 PM
Well, even Betrayal, a pseudo-dominate power, can be used to make the target walk into hazardous terrain as long as he ends adjacent to another enemy.

Dominate (psion attack 15) has no such restriction. :smallwink:

Behold_the_Void
2009-11-16, 11:34 PM
Oh also, anybody know a good way to get some sort of mind-reading? I haven't seen any in the powers section, so I'm wondering if it exists.

Quick costume change would also be welcome, I would like to be able to have him read someone's mind and assume the face and appearance of someone they are afraid of or close to.

cupkeyk
2009-11-17, 01:32 AM
There is a bard ritual that allows a level of mind reading among allies. Kalashtar get telepathy 5 instead of a language.

Also, any reason yer not human? you'll never retrain mind thrust.

Grynning
2009-11-17, 02:42 AM
Oh also, anybody know a good way to get some sort of mind-reading? I haven't seen any in the powers section, so I'm wondering if it exists.

Quick costume change would also be welcome, I would like to be able to have him read someone's mind and assume the face and appearance of someone they are afraid of or close to.

Oddly enough there's no real mind reading type abilities for the telepath. I am also playing a changeling psion (more of a con-artist type) and there's nothing to really help you with knowing what people are thinking except for having Insight as a class skill.

Quick-change is available via a Hat of Disguise (though that kinda makes your changeling racial redundant) or a Heavy Armor property called "Imposter's." I started a thread about other ways to get it here a while ago and we pretty much concluded that allowing that property on light or cloth armor wasn't particularly unbalancing and would work quite well.

As for power selection, I would advise Hypnotic Pulse at level 5 over Crisis of Identity. The Betrayal at-will does the same thing without the damage as CoI, and Hypnotic Pulse is an AoE daze, that your party will like you for much more.

BTW I LOVE 4th ed. Psions. Most "Controller-y" of the Controllers in 4th yet IMO.