PDA

View Full Version : A Fire Emblem-esque system in the making.

Trulhammaren
2009-11-16, 03:22 PM
With the influx and popularity of the various fire emblem games here on the forum, I decided I would try and revive and simplify a system myself and some friends started creating back in high school as a calculus project.

Unfortunately I am partially recreating this from scratch as I don't have everything we had written just yet. Right now I'm just trying to get the basics in place so I can start messing around with different weapons, armor, and skills.

This is meant to be a highly flexible system in regards to character creation, with what I have thus far I am trying to make the first available skills mirror some of the more basic FE classes, while still allowing a little more flexibility than you might get with traditional FE rules. Or at least that is my hope.

Anywho, onto what I have thus far.

Stats and Character Creation

HP - the same thing hp always is.
Strength - affects physical damage and weight allowance.
Toughness - Your character's natural ability to sluff off blows and fortitude (to be used once I add in poisons and diseases.)
Agility - Affects Accuracy and chance to avoid.
Spirit - Affects all things having to do with magic. (at least for now)
Luck - So far it is the sole attribute allowing for crits, also allows for bonus's upon leveling up.

[hr]
You get 30 points to spend on your various stats. HP is a 2 for 1 deal everything else is a 1 for 1. No more than 10 points can be put into any stat at beginning. No 0's (might change this because originally a 0 would cause mathematical errors, it won't with a growth system.)

To figure growths, you get one High, two Medium, and two Low growths. (Luck levels in a special manner and does not receive a growth rate.

A high growth is 60% + your starting count in the stat
A medium growth is 45% + stat
A low growth is 30% + stat

For hp the plus is your actually hp not the amount of point you put into it.

Example A

Bob the Finesse fighter

HP - 10 (5)
Str - 3
Tgh - 5
Agi - 10
Spr - 1
Luck - 6

High growth: Agi = 70%
Mid growth: Str = 48%
Mid growth: HP = 55%
Low growth: Tgh = 35%
Low growth: Spr = 31%

When leveling up you roll a percentile die as per usual and if under percent then you get a +1 to that skill (+2 for Hp).

Ok, now for luck. This is the only skill that can go up multiple times and at any given time. In order to get another point in luck you must roll equal to or lower than you luck score. So in order for our friend Bob to get a bonus in luck he would need to under a 6 either during stat leveling or an attack.

Now in the event that one does roll under their luck during stat leveling that particular stat will get a +2 (+4 for HP) instead of the normal, as well as your luck going up one point at that exact moment in time.

Ok now for an example to attempt any confusion if any.

Dun dun nu Nah! Bob gets to level up.

HP: 10 (55%)
Str: 3 (48%)
Tgh: 5 (35%)
Agi: 10 (70%)
Spr: 1 (31%)
Luck: 6

I roll a series of percentiles, resulting in

48 - So Hp goes up by two
05 - Oh look we rolled under our luck score so Str gets a +2 and Luck goes u p+1 right now!
32 - Lucky us Tgh goes up by 1
98 - Well crap no Agi for bob this level
07 - Woot sauce! Since we magically got a luck roll for str our luck increased to 7 at that moment, as such this roll also counts as a double for spr and luck goes up again.

So after leveling Bob's stats look like this

HP - 12
Str - 5
Tgh - 6
Agi - 10
Spr - 3
Luck - 8

make sense?

(I have more, but I need to run off to class. If anyone sees anything that might look like a glaring issue, please let me know even though I don't have all my info up yet.)

Trulhammaren
2009-11-16, 07:46 PM
The various formula I am currently working with.

Physical Attack = Str + Weapon Might
Defense = (Tgh/2) + Armor score (will be worked on at a later date)

Magic Attack = Spr + Weapon Might
Resistance = Spr + Res bonus (as with Armor will be worked on at a later date.)

Accuracy = Agi + Weapon skill modifier (hasn't been completed just yet) + Weapon's Acc
Avoid = (Agi x2) + (Tgh/2) - Arm neg. (as per armor and res)

Hit% = Acc - E. Avoid
Crit chance = 10 + Luck

The avoid is currently the one that I'm having an issue with, but that might be because I don't have any weapons or armor created to work with just yet.

[hr]

Ok so weapon skill. I am taking the Skl stat and weapon rank from FE and combining them. It never really made sense to me that you could weild these kick ass weapons, but didn't necessarily have the skl to use them effectively (in RP terms at least)

I'm not sure how I'm going to work this just yet, my main idea is to have the most xp you can get in any particular weapon group being 300, I've never actually looked at what FE uses from the various ranks. The thought is 100 for the trainee/1st tier, 100 for the second tier, and a final 100 for the third tier. I'm also thinking that the modifier be full for trainee, half for 1st tier, half that for 2nd tier, and half that for 3rd tier. I unfortunately haven't really looked at the math, nor have I tested how quickly the weapon rank actually goes up, so knowing what is the most usual for FE would be helpful.

Trulhammaren
2009-11-16, 07:47 PM
Ok and now for the custimization part of this shindig.

Skills. I got the idea from playing Radiant Dawn, but you might be able to think of it as taking feats for those of us that play D&D.

As of right now you get no skill cache until you get your first promotion at which every character gets 10 points with a 33% chance to gain an additional 5 points.

Right now all I have are preliminary skills for the 1st tier. Number in parentheses are the cost in points.)

Shade (10) - +15% to Avoid
Armorbound (10) - Half Armor penalty
Sea Legs (10) - Allows character to walk on water.
Steal (5) - Steal
Picklock (5) - Open locked doors and chests
Hawkeye (5) - +15 Acc.
Savant (10) - double Res bonus
Mountain Walker (10) - Allows character to move in mountain areas
Trail Blazer (5) - Move through forest as if plain.
Gambler (15) - double Luck bonus to Crit.

I haven't decided whether you will be able to remove these skills afterward or not, but I'm thinking permanent. Also Mounts will fall under a different category, think of them as more of an item than a class attribute or skill.

aje8
2009-11-16, 08:00 PM
MAJOR issue:

30 starting points?! Do you realize how little that is? There are six stats right? So a theoretical average division looks like this:
HP: 10
All other stats: 5

Compared to the fire emblem games, this is insanley weaker. Far weaker than the games.

Hp being limited to 10 points in it at game start means playing a high hp character is basically impossbile...... there were characters in the games who substantially exceeded this (22-25 hp at level 1) so you should allow more than 10 starting points to be put into hp.

Does Doubling exist? The answer is VERY important.

BenTheJester
2009-11-16, 08:29 PM
MAJOR issue:

30 starting points?! Do you realize how little that is? There are six stats right? So a theoretical average division looks like this:
HP: 10
All other stats: 5

Compared to the fire emblem games, this is insanley weaker. Far weaker than the games.

Hp being limited to 10 points in it at game start means playing a high hp character is basically impossbile...... there were characters in the games who substantially exceeded this (22-25 hp at level 1) so you should allow more than 10 starting points to be put into hp.

Does Doubling exist? The answer is VERY important.

I don't think 30 pts is so bad. Considering there is a different str/mag attribute(of course, this brings the usual book weight issue), this means you can dump one right there. 30 pts mean you wont be able to max out every attribute. However 30 IS low, 35 looks like a better number to me.

As for the HP, I assume that the maximum is also doubled to 20.

Trulhammaren
2009-11-16, 11:39 PM
1.) yes I do realize 30 points is low. But there is a reason for this, I just didn't get to add the info in yet. The level promotion transition, if going for max before promo looks a lot like this 10/20/20/10 with the first ten being somewhat similar to the trainee/pupil/journeyman of SS. The two test characters I've rolled up to test things with are an Agility focused fighter (myrmidon style) and a strength based fighter (mercenary kinda). As I haven't really made any weapons yet I made a practice weapon that sucks enormously just to test the formula I've been toying with, but I did level them up to their first promotion time (lvl 10) and their final stats look like this

Agility fighter

Hp: 22
Str: 9
Tgh: 10
Agi: 15
Spr: 3
Luck: 9

Str fighter

Hp: 34
Str: 12
Tgh: 10
Agi: 5
Spr: 6
Luck: 8

I'm not sure of how normal that looks, all I know is that my starting stats from both of these characters look decidedly larger than Haalee's.
Maybe the 30 makes a little more sense now that you know of the level structure, but let me know if this is still way underpowered.

2.) Doubling (which I assume you mean double attacking) kinda exists, but not until you promote, I haven't decided whether 1st tier or 2nd tier. Probably first tier, and what FE calls the weapon xp will affect the likely hood of a double attack rather than attack speed. So definately the first 10 levels one shouldn't have to worry about it much unless the guy running the game wants to really make his players hurt.

3.) Also take note that I haven't decided on stat caps for the various tiers yet.

I think I covered everything brought up thus far, so I will go and add more info to my posts.