PDA

View Full Version : Useful Equipment

Rasman
2009-11-16, 04:52 PM
Being new to the game, I'm taking everything one step at a time. I have a base idea of what I want to do with my monk and now I'm getting down to gear. I'm not worried about armor, since monks can't really use it, or weapons because those are already taken care of at this point, although I'm looking for a good reach weapon that can be considered a Monk Weapon so I can FoB with it. But the thought struck me, I'm not really carrying anything else.

So I was wondering, in general, what kind of equipment you typically find useful to have around, just in case?

My favorite so far is Caltrops, since they can be dropped as a free action and I'm most likely to be running away a lot considering our fighter doesn't always show up, and my party is obcessed with Alchemist's Fire, mostly because we're fighting frost giants, they don't really like fire apparently XD. But, with the freedom of pulling an item from any book, what would you carry with you for convienance or just because you just like to have it around?

Tyndmyr
2009-11-16, 04:55 PM
Rope, grappling hook, marbles, flint and steel, flasks of oil. Those end up on nearly every character I make.

Oh yeah. Also, a sling. It's free, it has no weight, and thus, there is absolutely no reason to not have it. Keep in mind that its easy to hide among clothing, and you should always have at least one backup ranged weapon. Bullets are ideal if you've got a weight allotment that can handle them.

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-16, 05:00 PM
Shapesand is always fun.

streakster
2009-11-16, 05:04 PM
Shapesand seconded.

Also shrunk items -bonfire, siege engine, and boulder are good choices.

Also a rubber ball.

And, because no else said it yet, unbelievably, a collapsible pole from Dungeonscape. You'll thank me.

Shademan
2009-11-16, 05:05 PM
and pants. can never go wrong with pants.

(psst, tindertwigs! they are awesome! amd smokesticks too)

BRC
2009-11-16, 05:08 PM
Rope, lots of it.
Healing Potions: They're an RPG staple for a reason folks.
A dagger, even if you don't use it, the utility of having a knife is always a good thing.
Caltrops are always good.

Ormagoden
2009-11-16, 05:08 PM
Sunrods

Crack, drop... ... ... Clunk.

Geeee that's alot further down than I thought. Glad I didn't jump!

jokey665
2009-11-16, 05:09 PM
1000 pitons and 500 feet of rope.

...I've actually had a player do this.

Lysander
2009-11-16, 05:09 PM
You're a monk. Why not carry some shuriken?

jmbrown
2009-11-16, 05:14 PM
Being a monk, you should ideally carry the lightsource since you can attack with any part of your body.

At early levels before magic items become common and monsters with 30 million resistances pop up, flasks of oil and a lit torch go a long, long, long, long way. They're cheap and anyone can use them.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-11-16, 05:20 PM
The stuff in Dungeonscape in general is really useful. I've gotten a lot of use out of a hacksaw before. Pouches of flour are handy if you face invisible enemies early on. And ghostwall shellac is hilariously named, and situationaly quite useful.

sambo.
2009-11-16, 06:06 PM
i've always found a simple silver mirror to be a great asset while adventuring. looking around corners and being able to make an ersatz periscope is handy.

and not forgetting the good 'ole 10' pole.

mostlyharmful
2009-11-16, 06:28 PM

Also trousers, they go so well together some people never remember to mention both....:smallsmile:

How about, touches (any problem worth confrounting is one worth setting on fire), marbles and a herd of fifty to a hundred sheep to make the rogue pointless for a few levels.:smallbiggrin:

streakster
2009-11-16, 07:04 PM

Collapsible pole, friend. Better in every way.

Rasman
2009-11-16, 07:04 PM
i've always found a simple silver mirror to be a great asset while adventuring. looking around corners and being able to make an ersatz periscope is handy.

lol...I actually AM carrying a 10' Pole...it actually works well with my Battle Jump feat...so...yeah...10' Pole = Awesome right now

You're a monk. Why not carry some shuriken?

I am, but those are weapon wise, I'm just looking for the Odds and Ends...

Sunrods

Crack, drop... ... ... Clunk.

Geeee that's alot further down than I thought. Glad I didn't jump!

I can't believe I didn't think of that...not to mention they're handy for the random Rave/Viking Feast

1000 pitons and 500 feet of rope.

...I've actually had a player do this.

ok...I have to ask...why?

...are there any useful uses for Bells?

sambo.
2009-11-16, 08:08 PM
...are there any useful uses for Bells?

you can rig up a handy alarm system in any Inn room with a bell and some rope.

of course, it might not actually be loud enough to wake you, but it should alert whoever should be on watch (assuming they havn't fallen asleep).

averagejoe
2009-11-16, 08:16 PM

This is a pretty overrated item. I don't know why anyone even bothers.

Uses for bells by a monk:

Wear them displayed prominently, then at opportune times muffle them and have the party wizard cast ghost sound to make the sound of bells.

Sovereign glue some to the enemy leaders for hilarious hijinks.

Put them on a person-shaped dummy and make an initiate snatch all the bells off without making a sound when in a smokescreen in order to prove that he's worthy to join you.

jokey665
2009-11-16, 08:24 PM
Put them on a person-shaped dummy and make an initiate snatch all the bells off without making a sound when in a smokescreen in order to prove that he's worthy to join you.

This one is pretty good until the initiate has an anthropomorphic turtle ninja do it for him. :smallannoyed:

Temet Nosce
2009-11-16, 08:27 PM
Marbles. Also marbles. Possibly some marbles as well (this rule is universal. All characters must have marbles).

Other useful stuff in no particular order off the top of my head-

1. Alchemist's fire

2. Alchemist's Frost

3. Alchemist's Spark

4. Oil (by the barrel if you have a good amount of extra dimensional storage)

5. Catapult (same as above)

6. Belt of Healing

7. Eggshell Grenades

8. Acid (keep some hidden on your person with those little pre set DC items from Complete Scoundrel I believe they are, also keep some more on you publicly).

9. Rope, silk and lots of it

10. Grappling hooks (note the multiple)

11. Tindertwigs

12. Blessed Bandages

13. Tanglefoot Bag

14. Chalk

15. Crowbar

16. Manacles

17. Ink

18. Inkpen

19. Paper

20. Mirror

21. Sealing Wax

22. Signet ring

23. Soap

24. Smokesticks

25. Hourglass

26. Hacksaw (hide one of these on you to)

27. Sunrods

28. Lanter, bulls eye

29. Catstink

30. Clearwater tablets

31. Magnet

32. One of those bombs for blowing open doors I forget the name of.

33. Other stuff, I've clearly forgotten and should have told you.

Rasman
2009-11-16, 08:41 PM
Marbles. Also marbles. Possibly some marbles as well (this rule is universal. All characters must have marbles).

Other useful stuff in no particular order off the top of my head-

1. Alchemist's fire

2. Alchemist's Frost

3. Alchemist's Spark

4. Oil (by the barrel if you have a good amount of extra dimensional storage)

5. Catapult (same as above)

6. Belt of Healing

7. Eggshell Grenades

8. Acid (keep some hidden on your person with those little pre set DC items from Complete Scoundrel I believe they are, also keep some more on you publicly).

9. Rope, silk and lots of it

10. Grappling hooks (note the multiple)

11. Tindertwigs

12. Blessed Bandages

13. Tanglefoot Bag

14. Chalk

15. Crowbar

16. Manacles

17. Ink

18. Inkpen

19. Paper

20. Mirror

21. Sealing Wax

22. Signet ring

23. Soap

24. Smokesticks

25. Hourglass

26. Hacksaw (hide one of these on you to)

27. Sunrods

28. Lanter, bulls eye

29. Catstink

30. Clearwater tablets

31. Magnet

32. One of those bombs for blowing open doors I forget the name of.

33. Other stuff, I've clearly forgotten and should have told you.

I apparently need to go though an item conpendium or something...I'm not exactly sure what Catstink is, or a Clearwater Tablet...people apparently LOVE marbles...too much Home Alone as a kid or is there something about them I'm missing?

This is a pretty overrated item. I don't know why anyone even bothers.

Uses for bells by a monk:

Wear them displayed prominently, then at opportune times muffle them and have the party wizard cast ghost sound to make the sound of bells.

Sovereign glue some to the enemy leaders for hilarious hijinks.

Guan Ning XD, I actually really like the idea too...

"Do you hear bells?"

"****...RUN!"

every cat with a collar will become a walking terror XD

sambo.
2009-11-16, 08:44 PM
people apparently LOVE marbles...too much Home Alone as a kid or is there something about them I'm missing?

a handful of marbles scattered on the deck is essentially a mundane Grease spell.

they work exceptionally well against mounted city guards too.

and you can drop one down a hole to hear how deep it is.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-16, 08:44 PM
I apparently need to go though an item conpendium or something...I'm not exactly sure what Catstink is, or a Clearwater Tablet...people apparently LOVE marbles...too much Home Alone as a kid or is there something about them I'm missing?

Marbles are easily my favorite item in D&D for two reasons. First, many enemies you'll encounter in D&D will have no ranks in balance. Second, Frenzied Berserkers auto fail balance checks.

Catstink covers your scent trail, and clearwater tablets do just that. They clean water.

Rasman
2009-11-16, 08:48 PM
Marbles are easily my favorite item in D&D for two reasons. First, many enemies you'll encounter in D&D will have no ranks in balance. Second, Frenzied Berserkers auto fail balance checks.

Catstink covers your scent trail, and clearwater tablets do just that. They clean water.

considering I love AoO, Marbles are my new best friend...I just have to remember not to throw out my favorite shooter XD

ah, I can see how Catstink would be helpful and I really feel dumb for not knowing what a Clearwater Table is...

...hmm...can I use Marbles in a Sling, or does it HAVE to be bullets? I'd think they'd be the same thing, but bullets are probably bigger or something, figured I'd ask

ghashxx
2009-11-16, 09:02 PM
Rations and waterskins. Shape sand is absolutely wonderful stuff as it equals a hammer, chair, wine glass, beer mug, walking stick, and really pretty much anything you want it to be.

Rasman
2009-11-16, 09:22 PM
Rations and waterskins. Shape sand is absolutely wonderful stuff as it equals a hammer, chair, wine glass, beer mug, walking stick, and really pretty much anything you want it to be.

but can it take the form of a key to unlock doors and chests? or is it too brittle/malable?

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-16, 09:25 PM
I think such specific forms are out, but a crowbar/ hacksaw is okay. Cut through the hinges and latch. Ignore the lock.

Rasman
2009-11-16, 09:31 PM
I think such specific forms are out, but a crowbar/ hacksaw is okay. Cut through the hinges and latch. Ignore the lock.

blah, oh well, it was worth asking anyway

what about Bottle of Endless _________ ?

the only one I've really been told about is sand and wind...which mixed together could argueably make for a ranged Blind attack...maybe...I'll have to work that one out with my DM XD

ghashxx
2009-11-16, 10:21 PM
what about Bottle of Endless _________ ?

the only one I've really been told about is sand and wind...which mixed together could argueably make for a ranged Blind attack...maybe...I'll have to work that one out with my DM XD

The bottles are...interesting. I've often heard them as being wonderful end all be all tools, but I've never actually seen them used effectively except with one of air and going into a place that has no air.

sambo.
2009-11-16, 10:31 PM
i've seen decanters of endless water used as firehoses in the past.

Rasman
2009-11-16, 10:45 PM
The bottles are...interesting. I've often heard them as being wonderful end all be all tools, but I've never actually seen them used effectively except with one of air and going into a place that has no air.

the reason I ask about the bottles is because with Bottle of Endless Sand, I can ALWAYS use my Sand Dancer feat, which is really just a fluff feat, but it fits my character story, so I said "why not?" but I wasnt' really sure what other bottles would be "useful"

bottle of endless water would be a great way to drown someone AND it keeps you hydrated XD

erikun
2009-11-16, 10:52 PM
...hmm...can I use Marbles in a Sling, or does it HAVE to be bullets? I'd think they'd be the same thing, but bullets are probably bigger or something, figured I'd ask
You can use rocks, so marbles would probably work (and do the same damage).

As for my list? Most of my characters pick up the following items:

Dagger
Backpack
Blanket
Bedroll
Flint and Steel
Grappling Hook
Rope
Mirror, small steel
Torches (several)
Rations (several)
Beltpouch x2
Waterskin x2
Whetstone
extra pair of clothing
Everburning Torch

Most of my lighter-armored characters will also pick up a spell component pouch, just for the extra pockets and to make people think twice about what he can do. Oddly enough, most of my spellcasters have Enshew Materials, and thus don't need the pouch (beyond focuses).

ghashxx
2009-11-16, 11:07 PM
the reason I ask about the bottles is because with Bottle of Endless Sand, I can ALWAYS use my Sand Dancer feat, which is really just a fluff feat, but it fits my character story, so I said "why not?" but I wasnt' really sure what other bottles would be "useful"

I'm kind of jealous here. I've always wanted to use the sand type feats, just because they seem like so much fun. I might have to incorporate this type of thing into my next campaign.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-16, 11:11 PM

Pants? WTF would I want pants?

Rubber ball is also awesome. Also, a deck of cards. In addition to a great tool for gambling, if you're a spellcaster, they make a great dump for extra spells in the form of explosive runes.

Spell component pouches are awesome for everyone. Scythe is also good. Doesn't matter how bad you are at melee, it's great for coup de gracing someone.

Mirror does come in handy all the time. Ditto holy symbol. Crowbar is handy, and blessed bandages are totally worth the slight cost.

Obviously, at a certain point, a hewards handy haversack is going to be needed to hold all this fun stuff.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-16, 11:26 PM
Healing Potions: They're an RPG staple for a reason folks.

Actually, I only take healing pots when Im so low I can't afford anything better. CLW is the only healing pot worth buying, too.

Once you can get wands(and yes, you should always have UMD) or a belt of healing, healing pots are an unnecessary expense. Most potions are, actually, with a pretty good gold expenditure for a minor one time benefit.

The best mundane items are quite cheap, and will be useful repeatedly.

erikun
2009-11-16, 11:41 PM
I've found that buying healing potions is a horrific money drain on the party. You can easily blow your entire 3rd level budget on healing potions, just to have the party run through them in a day or two. (Because "we don't need the cleric now!")

If you can convince the cleric/bard/UMD monkey to carry a Wand of Cure Wounds, or have the book with the Belt of Healing, go with those. Buying healing potions, though, isn't a very good use of gold.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-16, 11:42 PM
I've found that buying healing potions is a horrific money drain on the party. You can easily blow your entire 3rd level budget on healing potions, just to have the party run through them in a day or two. (Because "we don't need the cleric now!")

If you can convince the cleric/bard/UMD monkey to carry a Wand of Cure Wounds, or have the book with the Belt of Healing, go with those. Buying healing potions, though, isn't a very good use of gold.

Pretty much this, except you should get a wand of lesser vigor instead if you're using wands.

Generally speaking healing potions are worse than useless.

sambo.
2009-11-17, 01:11 AM
Generally speaking healing potions are worse than useless.

i call shenanigans on that statement.

a healing pot is a useful item for any adventurer to have on hand. the party healbot may not be able to get to you to make with the mojo in time.

you probably don't want to be carrying large numbers of heal pots, but having one in the pack is always a good idea imho.

erikun
2009-11-17, 01:34 AM
Taking a potion out of your backpack is a move action which provokes an AoO, while drinking one is a standard action which also provokes. If I am in a position to do nothing for the entire round and take hits from everything within range, I highly doubt I needed that potion anyways.

If we're talking about outside of combat, anyone with a decent Heal check or Cure Minor Wounds can stablize the wounded.

horseboy
2009-11-17, 01:38 AM
Obviously, at a certain point, a hewards handy haversack is going to be needed to hold all this fun stuff.

+1 This. The HHH is the most useful magic item in the whole game. Our DM gave us 1k gold and a permanent magic item 2.5k or less. The HHH was my choice followed by most of this stuff:

Equipment:
Item Cost Weight
Collar 0 0
Dagger 2 .5 1d3 Damage
Belt pouch 1 0
Chalk (x10)` .1 0
Outift 1 1.25 Traveler's
Pokin' Stick .05 8
Pouches 5 2 Components
Magic Playing Card.

HHH(Stuff in it)
Rations (x32) 16 32
Rations: (x8) 4 2 Small
Outfit 1 .75 Small Traveler's
Pouches 5 2 Spare Components
Crowbar 2 5
Rope 10 5 Silk
100' rope 20 10 Silk Tied to hook
grappling hook1 4
Hammer .5 2
Lantern 12 3 Bullseye
Piton (x10) 1 5
Pot, Iron .5 10
Signal Whistle 0.8 0
Spade 2 8
Tent 10 20
Parchment 2 0 (x10)
Ink 8 0
Quill 1 0 (x10)
Climber's Kit 80 1.25 (Small)
Healer's Kit 50 1
Bedroll 1 1.25
Flint & Steel 1 0
Mirror Steel 10 .5
Water skin 1 1
Soap .5 1
Backpack 2 .5 Small
Solvent 50 0 Universal
Antitoxin 150 0

Tyndmyr
2009-11-17, 01:44 AM
Taking a potion out of your backpack is a move action which provokes an AoO, while drinking one is a standard action which also provokes. If I am in a position to do nothing for the entire round and take hits from everything within range, I highly doubt I needed that potion anyways.

If we're talking about outside of combat, anyone with a decent Heal check or Cure Minor Wounds can stablize the wounded.

This. Definitely. Also, there is nothing a potion can do that a belt of healing can't do.

Seriously, though...the only time I'd consider drinking a potion is if Im the last one up, and at 0 hit points. Even then, the move action to draw and standard to use is a serious problem in most cases. If I go negative, normally someone else in the party can heal me up later. If Im not negative, spending a round not contributing to downing mobs is a good way to end up with more bodies on the floor.

mabriss lethe
2009-11-17, 02:03 AM
seconding/thirding/whatevering shapesand. It's amazing stuff.

Grell Crystal from Lords of Madness. Having a bag or two on you is never a bad thing...unless you're swimming. (GC is a powder that, when mixed with water, expands into a huge mass of shapable gunk, and then permanently hardens. You can even make tools with a Craft (crystalwork) check. Hardness 7, 20 HP per inch.) One bag is enough to do a 25 sq foot sheet and costs a whopping 10 gp

Temet Nosce
2009-11-17, 02:19 AM
i call shenanigans on that statement.

a healing pot is a useful item for any adventurer to have on hand. the party healbot may not be able to get to you to make with the mojo in time.

you probably don't want to be carrying large numbers of heal pots, but having one in the pack is always a good idea imho.

It's already been covered but the action economy for them is poor, and the cost/benefit is absolutely atrocious. Belt of Healing/Wand of Lesser Vigor is your friend.

Also, I prefer my healbots don't heal in combat in the first place barring a true emergency (in which case potions have no place anyways). I'm perfectly willing to help them buy Wands of Lesser Vigor for out of combat and leave in combat for helping kill things so I get hurt less in the first place. When playing a healer my priorities are similar.

Shademan
2009-11-17, 03:01 AM
then don't keep the potions in your backpack. always keep one in a specialy made pouch in your belt

Temet Nosce
2009-11-17, 03:07 AM
then don't keep the potions in your backpack. always keep one in a specialy made pouch in your belt

That would still require a move action. However, even ignoring that there's no reason to buy one in the first place given the cost/healing ratio.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-17, 04:35 AM
A masterwork potion belt (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting) lets you retrieve one potion/round as a free action. That's good for healing, antitoxin when you see something you know to have a poison attack, and other useful goodies.

dsmiles
2009-11-17, 05:02 AM
Marbles, small mirror, and a small iron pot (gotta eat sometime, and you won't always find an inn).

Yuki Akuma
2009-11-17, 05:07 AM
With two Immovable Rods, a Spool of Endless Rope and a Portable Hole you can achieve anything.

Anything.

Fizban
2009-11-17, 05:21 AM
Fun fact: the Spool of Endless Rope is actually the Spool of 500' of Rope With a Spool Stuck on The End. It regenerates if cut but the cut part disappears, and you can only reel out 500' at a time. While 500' of rope is enough for most people, those that actually want endless rope will be sorely dissappointed.

Yuki Akuma
2009-11-17, 05:25 AM
It also makes a handy abseiling device - you can only unspool 50' of rope per round, slightly slower than a Feather Fall spell.

Gorilla2038
2009-11-17, 05:33 AM
This. Definitely. Also, there is nothing a potion can do that a belt of healing can't do.

Seriously, though...the only time I'd consider drinking a potion is if Im the last one up, and at 0 hit points. Even then, the move action to draw and standard to use is a serious problem in most cases. If I go negative, normally someone else in the party can heal me up later. If Im not negative, spending a round not contributing to downing mobs is a good way to end up with more bodies on the floor.

See, this is why the Potion camelback is the most important low level item!:smallwink:

dsmiles
2009-11-17, 05:39 AM

But if you carry a potion belt or bandoleer, it is the same as drawing a weapon, as far as getting it out.
Also, ever heard of this one:
"I take a five foot step, I draw a potion from my belt, I drink it."
No AoOs there, unless you're surrounded or your opponent has a reach weapon.

Yuki Akuma
2009-11-17, 05:41 AM
But if you carry a potion belt or bandoleer, it is the same as drawing a weapon, as far as getting it out.

But you still just wasted a turn. Killing opponents is more important than healing mid-combat. Heal after.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-17, 05:43 AM
It also makes a handy absailing device -
You meant abseiling device, I'm sure. Your spelling immediately brought to mind the next step up from body surfing, though I'm dubious as to whether six-pack abs would provide enough of a keel. :smallsmile:

While I studied German rather than French in school, I'm enough of a classicist that I prefer "rappel" to "abseil". Plus people in the U.S. don't know what I'm talking about when I use the proper pronunciation (ahp-zahyl rather than ab-sail).

Yuki Akuma
2009-11-17, 05:52 AM

Screw you. :smalltongue:

Tyndmyr
2009-11-17, 10:53 AM

If you can easily escape via a five foot adjust, you don't need a potion. Either full attack him to death, or five foot adjust away and nuke.

Yay, you got 1d8+1 hp back...when he 5ft adjusts to you and hits you again, how many hp will you lose? More than that.

Lapak
2009-11-17, 11:06 AM
But you still just wasted a turn. Killing opponents is more important than healing mid-combat. Heal after.This is sometimes true, but not always. Most notably in a classic bottleneck situation; if you're built to slow people down rather than actually kill them - a trip build, or a high AC/hp build, or similar - and you're standing between Bad Guys and the people who actually do the killing, using your turn to back up a step and heal yourself is not a bad thing to do at all. I've played in games before where the party used the available terrain to allow for this kind of tactic.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-17, 11:09 AM
In such a case, belt of healing is still superior, due to the following: More hp, does not need to be drawn, does not provoke AoO.

Ormagoden
2009-11-17, 11:22 AM
That would still require a move action. However, even ignoring that there's no reason to buy one in the first place given the cost/healing ratio.

I am a fighter.
I am low level.
The cleric is in Armor that limits his movement.
He can't reach me this turn before the baddies go.
Baddies will kill me on their next turn if I don't heal. (and they hit)

Pop potion and live or die horribly and roll new character.

Yeah early on potions are king, later on when items that heal me are easier to obtain...not so much.

Another thing to consider is...is there a cleric at all?...Is it a low magic setting? Potions become MUCH more valuable in those instances.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-17, 11:54 AM
Potions are as magical as wands or casters. If potions are wildly common, but wands are not, it's not a low magic campaign, it's a very customized campaign.

Other options, lostfang: Go to the cleric for him to heal you. This offers the advantage of preventing full attacks, if that's an issue. If you're in a spot where AoOs would make this dangerous, they will also make drinking a potion just as dangerous.

If the baddies can kill you...kill them first? Spending your turn attacking should take out one, if it's an appropriate encounter. Presumably this isn't the start of the fight. Multiple people swinging at you can still kill you, but reducing the numbers improves miss odds.

Lets look at it this way...you're level, ooh, say two. Fighting two orcs. They have a +4 to hit, so they should miss the majority of the time vs your AC. Still, they do 2d4+4 dmg on a hit. Two hits can down you. Once you take one hit, you can pop a potion to try to recover hp, but it wont restore even a single hits worth of hp. You could still die from one hit next round, and will certainly die from two.

If you kill one instead, you have a few less hp, but the overall odds of taking a hit are cut in half, improving your overall survivability.

Sleepingbear
2009-11-17, 12:57 PM
In a dungeon, I like to have a periscope in the party.

In the wilderness or wide open areas, a spy glass is handy.

Pulleys, twine, rope and iron spikes can all be put to good use.

I don't go anywhere without a portable ram, crow bar and a sledge hammer.

A bag of flour can come in handy. It can be used to help find invisible foes and also, you can eat it (raw or with some sugar, salt and water cooked in a pan over a fire).

I know it's been mentioned but, chalk. Best copper piece you'll ever spend.

Whistles for the Rogue or anyone who might be seperated from the party. So basically, everyone. If the Rogue is blowing their whistle, they're no longer worried about being found and need help now.

Animal fat candles, if the DM is willing to let a some real world physics in. It provides light, a little heat and can be eaten as emergency rations (well, not the wick). Goes good with the bag of flour.

Mule and Cart. They don't explode when you put them into portable holes. Plus, you can mount the torch or lantern to the cart.

I like to make sure that I follow the same god as the party cleric (when I'm not the cleric) so it justifies me carrying a spare holy symbol.

Although honestly, I like to take the kitchen sink if I have room...

oxybe
2009-11-17, 05:43 PM
you asked for it:

rope, 200 ft: it's rope. you'll find a use for it, trust me. grappling hook highly suggested but not 100% required. only about 99.5%

flasks (10): have gunk, will carry.

waterskins (3): 1 at your side with water, 2 in the bag for carrying large amounts of gunk

fisherman's gaffe: it's a 8-10 ft pole with a hook at the end. always useful, better if you can get a collapsible version

a few daggers: it's a reliable sidearm and having a masterwork/adamantine one means you have the Clumsy Rogue's lockpick (ie: break the lock entirely) among other things (and a very good cutting blade. goes through most things like a hot knife through butter).

a towel: you'd be amazed at it's uses.

a pitons (10) & a hammer: like rope, many uses. the piton is also referred to as the Dwarven Lockpick, as dwarves have found out that lock+piton+hammer smash= no lock mechanism.

the crowbar/prybar: the burglar's best friend and the Dr.Freeman special, this is essential for an adventurer trying to get into places as you can bludgeon, break, hook, grip & lever your way to victory.

a sac full of sacs: sacs carry things. Gord knows you might need to find some exotic mushroom for a crazy gnome and don't want it touching your stuff.

map/scroll case (2): these tend to be waterproof to some extent and are great for carrying papers and you maps. also good to have a compass of some sort should they exist in your world.

wizard spellbook: like the cases, also usually bound and waterproof to some extent. even a fighter might want a source of quality paper to jot notes in or make a map. ink+ inkpen suggested as chalk or charcoal is a bit too messy.

chalk (2 of each color you can find) and maybe charcoal: can be scrawled on floors, walls, ect to mark things. how many large red "DO NOT STEP ON" places i've marked over the years, i cannot tell.

polished metal mapcase + everburning torch: it's a flashlight that doesn't burn out. cap off= light, cap on= no light. simple, yet effective.

bedroll, flint+tinder: even if you have the magical ones, the basics are still nice to have.

mirror: good for a quick check up before meeting the nobles and for peeking around corners/making signals

candles (10): it's a source of wax and bare minimum light, usually enough for you to huddle around.

a whetstone or two: keep your daggers & other sharp implements at their pointy-est

a crossbow, hand or otherwise: while i always suggest a backup ranged attack for all characters, being able to send a small object tied to bolt from A to B accurately is always nice, moreso if outside "throwing" range.

iron rations/journeybread/whatnot: while a field provision box is the ideal magical food procurement thing, these can last for a while and don't add much.

a money pouch: usually a sac, preferably worn around the neck as a necklace, tucked inside your shirt/armor, away from cutpurses. usually has a few high denomination coins & some gems. enough to pay for the necessities. if you want a change purse, keep it on your side.

a healer's kit: just because you can't put yourself back together again, doesn't mean you can't find someone who can.

a spare set of clothes: you're an adventurer, one of the core aspects of your job is that you'll be knee-deep in goblin gibblets. a knight in bloodstained armor doesn't look like the paragon of justice and more like a murderer in plate mail.

a backpack to carry it all.

maybe more later

Temet Nosce
2009-11-17, 07:51 PM
I am a fighter.
I am low level.
The cleric is in Armor that limits his movement.
He can't reach me this turn before the baddies go.
Baddies will kill me on their next turn if I don't heal. (and they hit)

Pop potion and live or die horribly and roll new character.

Yeah early on potions are king, later on when items that heal me are easier to obtain...not so much.

Another thing to consider is...is there a cleric at all?...Is it a low magic setting? Potions become MUCH more valuable in those instances.

Well, to address this lets consider. A potion of cure light wounds heals an average of 5 HP if I recall right (1d8+1), but to use it you've discarded the ability to inflict harm on your enemies so they're going to hit you next turn. Using the same example as Tyndmyr (*tips hat*) you have a choice of either spending your entire turn to heal 5 of your HP (lets say you have a Con of 16 and rolled average on your HP with max at first level so you've got 21 HP) which would negate slightly less than a full hit or straight out killing one of the Orcs. The second option will result in less healing being needed and lower chance of death.

Assuming you were down to 1 HP and facing the same situation you'd still be better off trying to kill one of the Orcs, since even after healing you'd only need one average hit to be knocked below 0 HP. Now on the other hand if you had a belt of Healing, you could indeed use that since it could bump you up far enough that you would probably be able to survive 1-2 hits.

At low levels it's not potions that are king, but belts of healing. I don't rely on healing in battle, even when I have a Cleric and would honestly probably use my belt before asking for healing (I can always have the Cleric pop a wand on me after battle).

sambo.
2009-11-17, 08:04 PM
alright, i get it. Temet Nosce doesn't like potions.

fine and dandy. i can accept that. no problems.

however i have personally found, over a quarter of a century of gaming i might add, that keeping a healpot or two handy can be a lifesaver.

i'd rather burn a round chugging a pot if circumstances demand it than spend time (de)generating a new character.

i might add, i've saved the life of the party heal-bot numerous times with a simple potion of CLW over the years.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-17, 08:11 PM
alright, i get it. Temet Nosce doesn't like potions.

fine and dandy. i can accept that. no problems.

My point isn't that I don't like them - it's that there are better options. If potions of healing were the only option, they would be useful. They're not though, and out of the available possibilities they're one of the least effective.

horseboy
2009-11-17, 08:22 PM
however i have personally found, over a quarter of a century of gaming i might add, that keeping a healpot or two handy can be a lifesaver.
Yes, in prior editions healpots were very handy. Nowadays it's like a mimeograph, thanks to hit point inflation and magical "progress".

erikun
2009-11-17, 09:30 PM
Re: Potions

Having a single potion on-hand can come in handy during emergencies, such as when you're fighting off a large group of kobolds when the cleric has fallen down a hole, or you're taking on a dragon and the healer has been knocked unconcious. In such cases, the point isn't so much to win the fight as it is to just stay alive, and even then, it's usually more practical to shove the potion down an unconcious ally's throat than drink it yourself.

Just using it for general healing, even if you're about to drop to 0 HP, it isn't quite as useful. As others have mentioned, you're regaining a small about of HP instead of doing damage, in hopes of doing that damage next turn. Unfortunately, it's easy in 3.5e for creatures to hit you, and most will do 5+ damage anyways; you haven't even negated their action, as now you're more hurt than when you started.

I will admit that healing potions were a LOT more useful in earlier editions. A lot less guaranteed hits, a lot less HP and a lot less average damage made healing for 8 HP more useful.

Saintheart
2009-11-17, 09:45 PM
Thunderstones, at least in lower-powered campaigns. Don't even have to hit the enemy mage to deafen him and cause him problems with casting, just aim for a hard surface (like a wall, or the floor) next to him and it's the same result.

sambo.
2009-11-17, 10:15 PM
My point isn't that I don't like them - it's that there are better options. If potions of healing were the only option, they would be useful. They're not though, and out of the available possibilities they're one of the least effective.

this thread is about "Useful Equipment", not about "Healing Pots And Why There Are Better Options".

as mentioned, i personally find a healpot or two fits the definition of "useful equipment" for no other reason than the number of times i've seen a CLW potion save some poor dumb PCs life (a great many times over the years). hence, i pretty much always have one in the gear selection of pretty much every character i play. i'll admit i've had to junk a bunch of them over time because they've been ruled to have "gone off" due to lack of use for an extended period.

i'm not arguing they are the be all and end all of "I Have My Potato" items. i'm not saying that "i'm right and you are all wrong", i'm simply saying that they are "useful".

Re: Potions

Having a single potion on-hand can come in handy during emergencies, such as when you're fighting off a large group of kobolds when the cleric has fallen down a hole, or you're taking on a dragon and the healer has been knocked unconcious. In such cases, the point isn't so much to win the fight as it is to just stay alive, and even then, it's usually more practical to shove the potion down an unconcious ally's throat than drink it yourself.

quoted for truth. especially the bolded bit at the end.

oh noez, the heal-bot is unconcious and dieing and the parties healing belts are all outta charges.....

shove that CLW pot down the halbots throat, "whew", heal-bot saved!

Yukitsu
2009-11-17, 10:17 PM
I think most people's point is that you can get a potion for the same price that does more healing. Potion's of vigour spring to mind.

For me, the most consistently useful item has been maps, or the resources needed to make a good paper map.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-17, 11:19 PM
I think most people's point is that you can get a potion for the same price that does more healing.

Not potions, but specifically that in any given situation there are always better options (although come to that I suppose your point is true). To need to use a CLW potion you have to have failed in the first place in multiple ways. You have to have bought one instead of a better method of healing, and you have to have to be lacking other options (such as killing the enemy before they kill you).

Out of combat there's blessed bandages for stabilization, and wands of lesser vigor. In combat you have belts of healing (which by the way you can buy more than one of and which heal much more than the potion, not to mention the cost/effectiveness ratio). So, the potions are outweighed in every way by something else.

Simply put they specifically are not useful unless you did not buy other better items. I understand that they were useful in previous editions, but in 3.5 they're a bad idea.

sambo.
2009-11-17, 11:22 PM
*ARRRRRGH*

/me: runs screaming from thread.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-17, 11:28 PM
*ARRRRRGH*

/me: runs screaming from thread.

/me runs after him "Come back! We have so much more to discuss! There's still dozens of pages worth of working over every type of healing and in combat versus out of combat healing!" :smallamused:

Nah mate, sorry I drove you nuts but it's one of my pet peeves.

/derail ends

Anyways, yeah I'll reemphasize flour since I forgot that on my list. I really need to go take a look at one of my characters and note some of the other stuff I carry. I'm often well over 100 items.

Rasman
2009-11-17, 11:42 PM
Thunderstones, at least in lower-powered campaigns. Don't even have to hit the enemy mage to deafen him and cause him problems with casting, just aim for a hard surface (like a wall, or the floor) next to him and it's the same result.

Thunderstone = Flashbang, basically?

Lycanthromancer
2009-11-17, 11:43 PM
You're playing a monk?

Magic scrolls and partially-charged wands.

What? Somebody was bound to say it before long. :smallamused:

But seriously, don't forget some masterwork tools for various skill checks. Rolls of twine cost 2g for 50 ft. A bullseye lantern and oil are quite useful, especially once the party mage gets hold of pyrotechnics. Smokesticks are also useful. A tub of lard (really!) is useful, as is a lasso. Get some oiled canvas to use as tarps for a number of purposes. See if you can't afford the casting of a spell here or there, if you can find one that's low enough level to afford, and is of Permanent or Instantaneous duration. :smallwink:

Rasman
2009-11-17, 11:52 PM
You're playing a monk?

Magic scrolls and partially-charged wands.

What? Somebody was bound to say it before long. :smallamused:

But seriously, don't forget some masterwork tools for various skill checks. Rolls of twine cost 2g for 50 ft. A bullseye lantern and oil are quite useful, especially once the party mage gets hold of pyrotechnics. Smokesticks are also useful. A tub of lard (really!) is useful, as is a lasso. Get some oiled canvas to use as tarps for a number of purposes. See if you can't afford the casting of a spell here or there, if you can find one that's low enough level to afford, and is of Permanent or Instantaneous duration. :smallwink:

I've been playing around with getting some Permanent spells placed on me, something like Mage Armor or the like, but atm I'm only level 5, so I'm holding off until I actually get some cash from our current objective. Flat out +5 Armor to bracers would be nice...stupid mages and their elusivness to me...

sambo.
2009-11-17, 11:54 PM
Thunderstone = Flashbang, basically?

without the Flash, but plenty of BANG!

Thunderstone
You can throw this stone as a ranged attack with a range increment of 20 feet. When it strikes a hard surface (or is struck hard), it creates a deafening bang that is treated as a sonic attack. Each creature within a 10-foot-radius spread must make a DC 15 Fortitude save or be deafened for 1 hour. A deafened creature, in addition to the obvious effects, takes a -4 penalty on initiative and has a 20% chance to miscast and lose any spell with a verbal component that it tries to cast.

Since you don’t need to hit a specific target, you can simply aim at a particular 5-foot square. Treat the target square as AC 5.

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-18, 12:12 AM
Are Thunderstones single use items or not? :smallconfused:

Lycanthromancer
2009-11-18, 12:15 AM
Are Thunderstones single use items or not? :smallconfused:I vote that they are, but mostly due to the cost/benefit aspect, more than anything else. You can make reusable versions IRL, but this is D&D; I don't want to kill too many catgirls, after all (the wolfboys who eat them will get mad at me :smallwink:).

sambo.
2009-11-18, 12:22 AM
Are Thunderstones single use items or not? :smallconfused:

nope. they are an Alchemical Item.

you can make 'em yourself with a successful Craft: Alchemy check.

lulz, should read the post more carefully first.

yes, they are single use.

Rasman
2009-11-18, 12:24 AM
without the Flash, but plenty of BANG!

that's ok, Wizard Casts Flare, same thing now XD

does vertical distance count as well, because if I could be 10 feet above something and throw it down on them, then drop on them with my Battle Jump feat, then I'd be set...or even better, plug my ears with some cork or something and drop down in a group and smash two together

what's that, the Wizard cast obscuring mist and they can't see me now? awesome XD

Rasman
2009-11-18, 05:36 AM
well, there's been a LOT more activity in this thread then I thought was going to be, glad I picked the topic XD, so far the things people have mentioned that I like the best have been the enchanted Shuriken

Flasks of Oil
Marbles (there are so many levels of evil I can think of doing with these)
Shapesand
Tindertwigs (I'm not 100% sure what these are, but I figure they're kind of like what you use to start a fire)
Healing Pots (for just in case)
Sunrods
Torches
Mirror
Bells...lots and lots of bells
Soverign Glue
Eggshell Grenades
Tanglefoot Bag
Hacksaw
Catstink
Smokesticks
and Thunderstones

is there anything "OMG HOW COULD YOU NOT SAY _________?" that I'm missing?

Yuki Akuma
2009-11-18, 05:51 AM
Immovable Rod. You are not an adventuring party if you don't have at least two between you - you're just a bunch of thugs who go into people's houses, kill them and take their stuff.

Even if you're too low-level to afford one yourself, pool your cash with your other party members! Even one Immovable Rod is handy.

Also, like I said before, Portable Hole. At least one between you. Not only can you fit a ton of stuff in there (and it weighs nothing, unlike a Bad of Holding), but there are also innumerable things you could do with it.

Oh, and rope. Never forget the rope. Spool of Endless Rope or two if you can spring for it - sure, it's really only 500' of rope, but it's handy to have and doesn't weigh as much as 500' of silk rope.

(I'm just repeating myself here).

(Also, tindertwigs are matches.)

Temet Nosce
2009-11-18, 05:56 AM
is there anything "OMG HOW COULD YOU NOT SAY _________?" that I'm missing?

Belt of Healing and Blessed Bandages. The first no one should ever go adventuring without, and the second is useful at low levels. Oh and Rope like Yuki mentioned, and a grappling hook. I don't think you count as an adventurer without rope.

Also, are you using a HHH/Bag of Holding? Or do you actually have to carry everything? Regardless, I'll try to stop being lazy later and go over one of my full lists. Oh, and have you invested in UMD?

dsmiles
2009-11-18, 06:01 AM
I know I'm repeating other Playgrounders here, but repetition is the key to learning:

Thunderstones, Everburning Torches, Heward's Handy Haversack, Empty Flasks, Marbles, Cooking Pot, Small Shovel, Mirror, Rope, Flasks of Oil, Tindertwigs, Daggers (because every class can use it), Belt Pouches, Rope, Caltrops, Bedroll, 3 sq yards of Canvas or Oilcloth (cheaper than a tent, and just as useful), and a couple of feet of Heavy Chain.

Rasman
2009-11-18, 06:44 AM
Immovable Rod. You are not an adventuring party if you don't have at least two between you - you're just a bunch of thugs who go into people's houses, kill them and take their stuff.

Even if you're too low-level to afford one yourself, pool your cash with your other party members! Even one Immovable Rod is handy.

Also, like I said before, Portable Hole. At least one between you. Not only can you fit a ton of stuff in there (and it weighs nothing, unlike a Bad of Holding), but there are also innumerable things you could do with it.

Oh, and rope. Never forget the rope. Spool of Endless Rope or two if you can spring for it - sure, it's really only 500' of rope, but it's handy to have and doesn't weigh as much as 500' of silk rope.

(I'm just repeating myself here).

(Also, tindertwigs are matches.)

I'll have to check on the Immovable Rod...our DM is a little twisted though...he'll screw us over if we got a Movable Hole, he'd do something like have us set it down and then it fall though something...or something FAR more evil...

Belt of Healing and Blessed Bandages. The first no one should ever go adventuring without, and the second is useful at low levels. Oh and Rope like Yuki mentioned, and a grappling hook. I don't think you count as an adventurer without rope.

Also, are you using a HHH/Bag of Holding? Or do you actually have to carry everything? Regardless, I'll try to stop being lazy later and go over one of my full lists. Oh, and have you invested in UMD?

At the moment, I have to carry everything...I'll have to ask about HHH and/or Bag of Holding...does the Belt of Healing work like a wand or is it easier than that? My party has a rope whore, mostly because she thinks that sneaking under bridges is a good idea, so I'm not really worried about it atm, I'll probably pick some up once we get into town though...UMD? 7am is not a good time for abreviations for me DX

I know I'm repeating other Playgrounders here, but repetition is the key to learning:

Thunderstones, Everburning Torches, Heward's Handy Haversack, Empty Flasks, Marbles, Cooking Pot, Small Shovel, Mirror, Rope, Flasks of Oil, Tindertwigs, Daggers (because every class can use it), Belt Pouches, Rope, Caltrops, Bedroll, 3 sq yards of Canvas or Oilcloth (cheaper than a tent, and just as useful), and a couple of feet of Heavy Chain.

Belt Pouches...I could actually use a couple of those for my Eggshell Bombs

I'll probably invest in some Piton's as well, seeing as how I've been designated the "climber" of the group because of my DM saying that I could pretty much climb any rockface with my bare hands...I have this strange feeling that I'm going to fall off of something tall...

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-18, 06:53 AM
Shapesand isn't on your list of awesome :smallfrown:

Tis in the sandstorm book.

dsmiles
2009-11-18, 06:56 AM
Make sure you pad those egshell bombs well, they are fragile.
(It says "Fragile," it must be French.)

Temet Nosce
2009-11-18, 06:58 AM
At the moment, I have to carry everything...I'll have to ask about HHH and/or Bag of Holding...does the Belt of Healing work like a wand or is it easier than that? My party has a rope whore, mostly because she thinks that sneaking under bridges is a good idea, so I'm not really worried about it atm, I'll probably pick some up once we get into town though...UMD? 7am is not a good time for abreviations for me DX

Belt of Healing isn't like a wand, anyone can use one. It's a command activated item which has 3 charges a day, each of which heal 2d8 damage. It's also incredibly cheap at 750 gp. It's in the Magic Item Compendium.

UMD = Use Magic Device

Edit: D'oh I make this mistake regularly for some reason. It's actually called a Healing Belt.

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-18, 07:50 AM
Oooh! enchant a potion belt into a healing belt. Now you can have the best of both a healing belt AND potions.

[$0.02]
Now, I will admit that the Healer's belt is better than a potion any day of the week, however, you tend to find more potions as loot than healers belts, and when the chips are down, no one is upset to have a few heal pots around in an emergency. Now, as for healing in combat I'm with the group that says spend your action killing the threat (and thus, removing any damage it would have done in the near future) is a better idea than healing up. The math supports this. I'm sorry, but it does. No I'm not going to link to any examples as I'm feeling lazy atm.
As for Pot-O-cure vs. Pot-O-Vigor: Vigor heals more, true but sometime you do not have that minute to heal. Sometimes you need them HPs five turns ago, as the next wave is only a few rounds away. That is where the Pot-O-cure comes into play.

[/$0.02]

Rasman
2009-11-18, 08:12 AM
Shapesand isn't on your list of awesome :smallfrown:

Tis in the sandstorm book.

lol...yar it is, 3rd from the top

Make sure you pad those egshell bombs well, they are fragile.
(It says "Fragile," it must be French.)

yeah...I know...something like a 20% chance for them to break when I'm struck in melee, which sucks, BUT...instant Smoke Screen XD

Belt of Healing isn't like a wand, anyone can use one. It's a command activated item which has 3 charges a day, each of which heal 2d8 damage. It's also incredibly cheap at 750 gp. It's in the Magic Item Compendium.

UMD = Use Magic Device

Edit: D'oh I make this mistake regularly for some reason. It's actually called a Healing Belt.

oh, dur...been up for almost 22 hours now, it just didn't register...not yet, because it's a cross class skill for me, but all things considered, I'll probably invest once I hit 6th level, I just wanted to optimize my class skills I knew I'd be using right away...our Wizard is a magic item whore anyway...especially wands that nearly electrocute or BBQ me...

Oooh! enchant a potion belt into a healing belt. Now you can have the best of both a healing belt AND potions.

[$0.02]
Now, I will admit that the Healer's belt is better than a potion any day of the week, however, you tend to find more potions as loot than healers belts, and when the chips are down, no one is upset to have a few heal pots around in an emergency. Now, as for healing in combat I'm with the group that says spend your action killing the threat (and thus, removing any damage it would have done in the near future) is a better idea than healing up. The math supports this. I'm sorry, but it does. No I'm not going to link to any examples as I'm feeling lazy atm.
As for Pot-O-cure vs. Pot-O-Vigor: Vigor heals more, true but sometime you do not have that minute to heal. Sometimes you need them HPs five turns ago, as the next wave is only a few rounds away. That is where the Pot-O-cure comes into play.

[/$0.02]

lol...I'll have to do my bracers first...my AC is crap, something like 20, so a +5 Armor to bracers is first, but a healing belt might be my #2 item enchant...until then I'll just follow the hobbi...I mean halfling rogue with the wand of cure light wounds

Saintheart
2009-11-18, 08:28 AM
Oh, yeah, and an 11-foot pole.

...Because there's a lot of things out there with a 10-foot reach, that's why. :smallbiggrin:

Tyndmyr
2009-11-18, 09:32 AM
Keep in mind that you can burn extra charges off a belt of healing to heal more hp at once, too. This is remarkably handy in desperate situations where 2d8 might not be enough.

It's cheap too. It costs what, the same as two potions of CSW? Yeah, it's going to pay itself off in short order compared to potions. Wands now, thats a different story.

Sleepingbear
2009-11-18, 10:17 AM
I forgot one essential that is on the equipment list of every PC or NPC I generate.

Soap.

I'm not kidding.

It's as good for characters as it is for players.

It is the first line of defense against disease.

You can mark stuff with it.

Soap + Water + Smooth surface = Grease like effect.

You can huck it at pursuers.

You can carve it into a mini-statue to trade with less bright creatures. Or as part of a bluff strategy (This is the idol of our god, Suds! If we add water and bubbles appears, it means that he is angry/happy/whatever!).

Soap + Sock = Sap.

Really, no adventurer worth their salt should be without it.

You probably shouldn't eat it, though.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-18, 10:19 AM
Soap is also basic, so if you are dealt acid damage you can try to neutaralize the acid that way.

ghashxx
2009-11-18, 12:22 PM
lol...I'll have to do my bracers first...my AC is crap, something like 20, so a +5 Armor to bracers is first, but a healing belt might be my #2 item enchant...until then I'll just follow the hobbi...I mean halfling rogue with the wand of cure light wounds

For help with your AC, refer to the thread Help me spend my gold and up my AC! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131887)

Sleepingbear
2009-11-18, 05:30 PM
Soap is also basic, so if you are dealt acid damage you can try to neutaralize the acid that way.

Huh. I did not know that. I guess I can save encumberance now by getting rid of all that baking soda... actually, I can stuff it into bags and use it like I would flour...

Cieyrin
2009-11-18, 06:22 PM
What the hell, 4 pages of thread on useful items and no mention of Springwalls? For shame!:smalltongue:

Rasman
2009-11-18, 07:23 PM
What the hell, 4 pages of thread on useful items and no mention of Springwalls? For shame!:smalltongue:

OK, you have my attention, what exactly is a Springwall...although it sounds pretty explanatory...

Keep in mind that you can burn extra charges off a belt of healing to heal more hp at once, too. This is remarkably handy in desperate situations where 2d8 might not be enough.

It's cheap too. It costs what, the same as two potions of CSW? Yeah, it's going to pay itself off in short order compared to potions. Wands now, thats a different story.

I'll have to inquire my DM about it, might be a little bit before I get to a town again, but it'll be on my list

I forgot one essential that is on the equipment list of every PC or NPC I generate.

Soap.

I'm not kidding.

It's as good for characters as it is for players.

It is the first line of defense against disease.

You can mark stuff with it.

Soap + Water + Smooth surface = Grease like effect.

You can huck it at pursuers.

You can carve it into a mini-statue to trade with less bright creatures. Or as part of a bluff strategy (This is the idol of our god, Suds! If we add water and bubbles appears, it means that he is angry/happy/whatever!).

Soap + Sock = Sap.

Really, no adventurer worth their salt should be without it.

You probably shouldn't eat it, though.

BUT SOAP IS DELICIOUS...I mean...I'll probably start carrying some bars around now, I especially like grease effects because of AoOs, they're my characters bread and butter...didn't know soap was so useful

yay science, because it's a base, I love it XD

what about Ioun Stones? do they have to be held or just on my person to gain their benefits?

Sallera
2009-11-18, 07:36 PM
Just on your person. They float in circles around your head. :smalltongue:

Rasman
2009-11-18, 11:27 PM
Just on your person. They float in circles around your head. :smalltongue:

that's a little fruity, but I'll take it XD, they don't cover/take up a headpiece slot though?

Berserk Monk
2009-11-18, 11:28 PM
Wand of Kill Everything

Yuki Akuma
2009-11-19, 04:53 AM
that's a little fruity, but I'll take it XD, they don't cover/take up a headpiece slot though?

No. You can even have more than one.

Their effects don't really stack, though, so having two of the same one is just silly unless it's a spell-absorbing one.

(Also, any DM who would make a Portable Hole fall through the surface it was placed on doesn't deserve players. He's an *******.)

dsmiles
2009-11-19, 05:33 AM
Just don't forget not to turn your Bag of Holding inside out.
Why, you ask?
Because everything will come out at the same time!
This could lead to a bad situation.
And never...ever put an open Bag of Holding into a Portable Hole...bad idea there (and vice-versa).

Rasman
2009-11-19, 06:35 AM
No. You can even have more than one.

Their effects don't really stack, though, so having two of the same one is just silly unless it's a spell-absorbing one.

(Also, any DM who would make a Portable Hole fall through the surface it was placed on doesn't deserve players. He's an *******.)

sweet...shame they look expensive...I'll have to work on getting some cheaper ones

(he's not really an ass, he just likes to make us think on our feet...we can basically do whatever we want so long as we're willing to suffer the consiquiences)

Just don't forget not to turn your Bag of Holding inside out.
Why, you ask?
Because everything will come out at the same time!
This could lead to a bad situation.
And never...ever put an open Bag of Holding into a Portable Hole...bad idea there (and vice-versa).

hmm...turn a bag of holding inside out you say...EXCELLENT!

Bag of Holding + Lots of Rocks + Frost Giant = "I think he has a concussion, sir"

Cieyrin
2009-11-19, 03:28 PM
OK, you have my attention, what exactly is a Springwall...although it sounds pretty explanatory...

Springwalls are tightly wound balls of wire that, when they hit a surface, springs into 10' x 10' wire mesh wall. They're difficult to see (Spot DC 20 to spot) and, if someone walks into one, it'll collapse and entangle them. It's situational, yes, but they're hilarious one-use items. They'll block line of effect and give you a modicum of battlefield control, so they're interesting to have about and available.:smallbiggrin:

As for Ioun stones, they're basically slotless items that provide various bonuses, so they're fun to have about, as most people don't really think to go after them when they can just attack you.

Rasman
2009-11-19, 10:36 PM
Springwalls are tightly wound balls of wire that, when they hit a surface, springs into 10' x 10' wire mesh wall. They're difficult to see (Spot DC 20 to spot) and, if someone walks into one, it'll collapse and entangle them. It's situational, yes, but they're hilarious one-use items. They'll block line of effect and give you a modicum of battlefield control, so they're interesting to have about and available.:smallbiggrin:

As for Ioun stones, they're basically slotless items that provide various bonuses, so they're fun to have about, as most people don't really think to go after them when they can just attack you.

ok...you have me sold on Spring Walls, but will they work on a giant?

do Ioun stones stack or is it a 1 stone, one stat sort of deal?

Cieyrin
2009-11-20, 01:00 PM
ok...you have me sold on Spring Walls, but will they work on a giant?

do Ioun stones stack or is it a 1 stone, one stat sort of deal?

Given an expanded Springwall covers 10' by 10' and most Giants are Large and aren't known for their abilities of perception, I'd say they'd at least confusle them for a while, though their high Strength would mean they wouldn't be contained for long.

As for Ioun stones, the ones that I'm aware of all provide named bonus types, so normal bonus stacking rules apply. So yes, for the most part you'd only want one Ioun stone of a certain type at a time, as having more of one type is just redundant, except perhaps for the spell absorbing variety. Spell absorbers can be burned through rather rapidly, so having multiples of those as they burn out is probably advisable.