PDA

View Full Version : How can I make this race work?

Fortuna
2009-11-16, 09:42 PM
I just started up a new 3.5 campaign (my first 3.5 campaign), and would like to play a bit of homebrew that I am working on at this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131321

What classes are sufficiently MAD to make this worthwhile without being stupidly useless?

Eldariel
2009-11-16, 09:50 PM
Offhand, Chameleon [Races of Destiny] seems the best...except it's technically limited outside your expertise, and it's a PrC. MAD classes obviously exist, but those require multiple attributes constantly rather than momentarily.

Beyond the obvious utility of boosting skill checks/carrying capacity/initiative/HP as necessary, there are few classes outside Chameleon that really benefit of such a chimeric race; and even Chameleon only benefits in the sense that you can excel at different focus on different day.

Draz74
2009-11-16, 09:55 PM
Warblade is an interesting version of MAD.

It needs Strength all the time, and to a lesser extent the other physical abilities.

But it only needs Wisdom when making a Will save (at which time, it appreciates Wisdom a LOT!). It only needs Charisma when making Diplomacy or Intimidate checks. And it has a lot of abilities that key off Intelligence that are handy, but not necessary to have up all of the time.

Fortuna
2009-11-16, 09:58 PM
Forgot to mention, I only have the SRD. What can be used in that?

Ryuuk
2009-11-16, 10:00 PM
The Binder (Tome of Magic) might work well here. Each day they can bind different vestiges to get different sets of abilities. Of course, some are melee based, some are caster based, come are sneaky based, etc. You grab the persona that works best with the vestige you grab for the day.

EDIT:
Hmm, srd only though, not too sure there.

dspeyer
2009-11-16, 11:08 PM
I feel that this race really calls for one of those a-dozen-classes-jack-of-all-trades builds which always have far more options than actions. It'd be thematic too. It's hard to do with SRD, though.

You could use aspect-of-nature druid. When you get a physical boost, take matching aspects and fight or sneak. When you get wis, use your magic. When you get int or cha, sit back and let the rest of the party shine. You get complete choice of spells each morning, so you can pick them with regard to that day's style.

Bard is flexible, though it gains little from int or wis, and has the downside that you must stick with one spells known list. A dip in Barbarian improves its combat considerably. There's probably a wizard / prestige bard build out there somewhere but I can't quite make it.

Getting Tome of Battle would be very helpful here. A swordsage can switch from sneak to tank with a little meditation, and to caster with RKV or JPM.

Eldariel
2009-11-16, 11:21 PM
Bard is your best bet. You can make a decently capable martial Bard with various effects without save to use when not boosting Charisma, and then the option of going Cha-focus for big save DCs. Then you can add Con for HP, Str for Tripping/melee, Dex for AC and so on.

Cloistered Cleric is the other one, but I daresay a bit too Wis SAD to really qualify here; you can make a good Bard with only decent Cha, but Clerics really, really want their Wis.

erikun
2009-11-16, 11:56 PM
How... odd. I can see it being somewhat useful. Go with the Dex bonus at the start of combat, switch to Str for combat, switch to Con when you need the extra HP. Switch to Int for knowledge skills/bardic knowledge, and to Cha for diplomancy. And, uh, Wis to avoid domination?

However, most classes won't get that much out of the changes. Spellcasters will need to maintain the one ability or lose their bonus spells immediately. Fighters tied down to one fighting style will be hampered when they don't have their preferred stat bonus.

Eldariel's suggestion of Bard/Barbarian would probably be the best. Dex for initiative and rapier finesse, Str/Con with a greatsword and barbarian raging. Cha for bardic music, as that depends on the current bonus. Int for knowledge checks, and Wis for I guess Insight. I can't really think of much else the race would be well suited for, unless you wanted to play a really wierd monk.

Fortuna
2009-11-17, 12:28 AM
It would appear that one thing is not immediately obvious. I will only have three of the stats to use at one time, and I won't be able to switch at-will. Bearing that in mind, how would a Druidic Avenger be? With druid spellcasting, wildshape, and raging, I could see taking Str, Dex and Wis and doing just fine. Thoughts?

erikun
2009-11-17, 12:56 AM
Perfect Cooperation
Prerequisites: Ksisf, Harmonious Coexistence
Benefit: The character may switch between personas at will if they succeed on a DC 15+ Character level Will save. Once a save is failed, the character must wait for 2d4 minutes before attempting to switch again
Normal: Switching personas may only be done when other actions would result in unacceptable danger.
Looks like you can. Well, except that you didn't mention what kind of an action it takes, and that the save becomes more difficult the higher your character level is.

I will admit, I missed the limit of three personas - I only ran through the other thread quickly. Anyways, the point about primary spellcasters stands. It looks like there is no feat allowing you to keep the current personality past one hour, thus rendering the bonus they would give mostly moot.

The racial bonus to Str and Dex are overwritten by wildshape, unless you're using a variant that modifies your base stats (rather than overwritting them). Wis is ironically mostly useless, because once the personality shifts once, bye bye bonus spells. Dex/Int/Cha on a bard is still an option, as their bonus spell slots are less necessary for the class. I suppose a rogue would work similar, picking which personality is best for the task.

Basically, anything that can use bonuses to different stats at different times - like a Cleric with either a Con buff for combat or Cha buff for turning - could get some use. A class that needs one stat all the time (Int for Wizard) or two stats at the same time (Str/Con for Barbarian) won't perform as well.

Fortuna
2009-11-17, 01:02 AM
The problem with that feat is that it is the second in a feat chain. I would get that at...4th level? If I took nothing else? And sorry about the lack of action: it is meant to be a full-round action, which may limit usefulness somewhat. Also, it is an additional feat to avoid being dazed when I do that, which probably limits usefulness even more. (Sorry, I think of new ideas for this race while away from my computer and can't remember whether I've updated it or not.)

Animefunkmaster
2009-11-17, 12:34 PM
Forgot to mention, I only have the SRD. What can be used in that?

You must also have complete warrior, since you mentioned shocktrooper in the race. Also you might as well give the race any favored class, since having three changeable favored classes with no retro penalties is a bit silly.

I would say the race is incredibly powerful even given the lack of control over the personas. Wizard/Sorcerer/Cleric will work just fine (extra speed, extra str, extra dex) all very good for a caster when they aren't specifically counting on it. Rogue could work fine too.

Fortuna
2009-11-17, 01:17 PM
No, I had heard of Shock Trooper. I have never actually seen the feat itself.