PDA

View Full Version : Plant Cohort/Companions 3.5 help

Sutrahariel
2009-11-16, 10:49 PM
Ok, if anyone has read my topic beforehand they would know my situation, but I shall reiterate. I am starting a new campaign soon, and I am needing to become a controller of the battlefield but cannot focus on spells. Its a challenge of sorts, with a prize if I get it right.

I was thinking of a beastmaster with many felines, but the party did not like it. No real reason, two of them have a homicidal anger against cats. Now I am creating my poison ivy idea (a Druid or Plant Cleric who controls the field with limited spells and her plant posse) and I am in need of help with two major things: What are the best choices for plant allies? And Is their a good build for my idea? I looked at the Thrall of Zuggtomy, but It doesn't help much. Any other thoughts and help are welcome. anything is welcome for that matter.

Darrin
2009-11-17, 12:19 AM
Ok, if anyone has read my topic beforehand they would know my situation, but I shall reiterate. I am starting a new campaign soon, and I am needing to become a controller of the battlefield but cannot focus on spells. Its a challenge of sorts, with a prize if I get it right.

Have you taken a look at Person_Man's Knight Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109429)? That's probably the best way to do battlefield control without spells. You can do the cat thing too, just take a tiger/lion/smilodon as a mount or wild cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a).

I was thinking of a beastmaster with many felines, but the party did not like it. No real reason, two of them have a homicidal anger against cats. Now I am creating my poison ivy idea (a Druid or Plant Cleric who controls the field with limited spells and her plant posse) and I am in need of help with two major things: What are the best choices for plant allies? And Is their a good build for my idea? I looked at the Thrall of Zuggtomy, but It doesn't help much. Any other thoughts and help are welcome. anything is welcome for that matter.

Dragon #357 had rules for Druids taking Plant Companions. I forget the specifics, but I don't think it used any existing plants, just sort of a generic "mobile plant" base creature that you mix-and-matched abilities onto it as it got stronger.

Other than that, I always thought a Purple Fungus would make a great plant companion for a 1st level druid. Except that it's slow. And poisonous. But mostly slow.

Zaq
2009-11-17, 03:29 AM
Specifically spells, or any magic? A DFA can make a superb battlefield controller with Entangling Exhalation, Slow Breath, Exhaled Barrier, and so on. They also get a few good invocations to that effect, such as Darkness or Breath of the Night at low levels (don't underestimate imposing a miss chance on your enemies, since you don't take any miss chances with your breath weapon... just don't hit your allies) and Chilling Fog at higher levels. No spells are needed. Even if you don't accept the invocations (spell-like abilities, after all), the breath weapon and its attendant effects are pure (Su), no spells involved.

If you want no magic at all, I'd suggest a Crusader with crazy reach, Thicket of Blades, and all that good stuff. You can get (Ex) increased reach by lighting a few feats on fire (Aberration Blood -> Inhuman Reach; Willing Deformity -> Deformity (Tall)) plus a reach weapon or spiked chain, then you can use fightin'-man battlefield control techniques (Stand Still, Knockdown, Mage Slayer, etc.) after that. You won't be able to take all of the feats I mentioned, of course, but it's something to work for.

Grumman
2009-11-17, 04:18 AM
There's a Woodling template in MM3, which you could use for your cohort.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-17, 12:12 PM
plant druid...
hmm

ok
wisper gnome with the woodling template. druid x
magic in the blood from magic of faruen
greanbound summoning..
ask to have greenbound template applyed to animal companion

or
wisper gnome with the woodling template.
magic in the blood from magic of faruen
knight/ranger into beast master with ac's with greendbound template

Sutrahariel
2009-11-17, 12:55 PM
I am intrested in all your ideas, and am looking into them all currently.

Also, is there any natural plant creatures that are intrest? (assassin vine, evil plum monsters, e.t.c)

jiriku
2009-11-17, 03:34 PM
Shambling mounds and treants are good, since both are fairly mobile and have reach, but you wouldn't be able to take such things as plant companions until your level was up in the teens.

Perhaps some Topiary Guardians? That's another nice template. And as a bonus, you can keep your pets out on the lawn and you'll have the best yard in the neighborhood.

Ormagoden
2009-11-17, 04:19 PM
I am intrested in all your ideas, and am looking into them all currently.

Also, is there any natural plant creatures that are intrest? (assassin vine, evil plum monsters, e.t.c)

Phantom fungus, tendriclous, shambling mound.

I'm partial to the phantom fungus... I had one in Living greyhawk :D

Sutrahariel
2009-11-17, 10:04 PM
I am intrigued :P where are the Topiary Guardian and Phantom fungus? which book(s)?

Zaydos
2009-11-18, 01:56 AM
Topiary Guardian is MMIII, Phantom Fungus is the original MM and is fun (it's invisible); I ran a BBEG (an evil reptilian-tree-man druid) who had one as his "animal" companion for RP reasons.