PDA

View Full Version : Rewarding with templates

Forevernade
2009-11-17, 02:40 AM
I was thinking in my campaign I would reward one of my player's warlocks with the option of absorbing the half-fiend template if he wishes, but then I thought, with the +4LA would he actually take the option or would he just reject it because he wants to level his warlock levels faster?

Whereas often GMs reward with experience, who here rewards ppl with feats, skillpoints, templates and stuff like that instead?

inb4 hard to balance power amongst the party, it's alright.

I just want some responses for what people, as players, would actually enjoy receiving as a quest reward, for whatever kinds of characters they play.

ATM the party consists of a bard, a warlock, a ranged ranger, and an npc priest.

Lycanthromancer
2009-11-17, 02:43 AM
It wouldn't be too bad if you awarded a +1 template, but one that doesn't count for the purposes of actual LA. It'd give a boost to a lagging character (because, for instance, he's a fighter in a group with a wizard, cleric, and druid; though in that case, he should have an LA +1 at 1st level, a +2 LA template added at 6th level, a +3 at 12th, and a +4 at 18th for a total of +10 by level 20, just to retain parity...or a semblance thereof, anyway).

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-17, 02:51 AM
I've awarded feats/skills/templates before.

Be careful. It's possible to create an unbalancing effect if you don't carefully check the bonuses.

Otherwise? Yeah, it's a great way to allow your characters to feel that their characters are personalized to their trials. Just as they affect the world, so does the world affect them back.

Very Nietzche.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-17, 02:57 AM
I've given templates as RPing rewards before but always at free LA. Speaking personally if a DM tried to offer me a "free" template then told me it cost LA I'd never take it and probably be bloody irritated.

Anyways, I've given out all of the above as rewards and had good results with them mostly. So long as its a game wide philosophy and not a one time for one player thing you're probably ok (the other players will either not object or not object to much because they want goodies to).

erikun
2009-11-17, 03:05 AM
I would think some kind of Spell-Like Ability, some kinds of resistances, or even a new spell known. (Since it is a warlock and all, don't they already cast spells at-will?)

For absorbing a fiend, something along the lines of Fire Resist 5, suddenly knowing Infernal, and being able to apply the Flaming properity to any held weapon at-will. That doesn't sound too overpowering, and some party members may not even notice the difference. :smalltongue:

On the other hand, modifying stats or imposing a LA on the character feels like a bit much. Yes, if the character intentionally chose to make some kind of change (such as becoming a lich) it would be appropriate. But for what is effectively a bonus to RPing, a LA+4 feels way too large.

Forevernade
2009-11-17, 05:32 AM
Yeah, I am thinking of offering it to him in a dark pact with a demon spirit, for free (now), whilst giving the other player's a 4 level equivalent treasure, such as a very high level item for the ranger (a gun), and an anomoly at will power for the bard (the ability to turn into adamantium and wood, sort of like from Goblin's Tempts Fate).

I am unsure how to balance the bard's power: what I have so far is this:
Wood Form (at will): +2 Natural Armour, +5 reach. +5 disguise amongst trees
Adamantium Form(at will) : +6 natural Armour, slam attack d6, DR5/+1

This will allow the bard to fulfill more of a tanky role because of the lack of tank.

Waylor
2009-11-17, 05:54 AM
3.0?

if 3.5 it should be Rd 5/Magic

Forevernade
2009-11-17, 06:07 AM
Oh, I guess so yeah. Though I was just thinking what would get rid of adamantium's DR... Epic would, but that's pretty hardcore... What is your opinion?

Yuki Akuma
2009-11-17, 06:24 AM
Adamantium bypasses adamantium.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-17, 07:08 AM
Except for Enchanted adamantium. It has a hardness above 20.

Forevernade
2009-11-17, 08:17 AM
Hmmm, I was looking at Half-Fiend template just now, it looks pretty overpowered for a +ECL 4, considering the stat bonuses. I wasn't sure if the adamantium thing was good enough so I changed it to this item:

The Ledgendary Axe Lute of Lightning

This item, when wielded seemingly turns the wielder into a glowing and sparkling figurine, an auspicious presence emanating from the user's body. A bard can hammer on the strings without strumming and an 'Electric Lute' Ghost Sound is magically projected. When a brilliant power-solo is played by a bard on this instrument of awesome destruction, a lightning bolt is said to run down the strings and spring forth from the head.

Electricity resistance 10
Immunity to natural and magical deafness
Thunder Strike 1d6, temp deafness, 2/day
Ghost Sound "Electric Lute" (CL = Bard Level)
Light (permanent from wielder's body)
Frightful presence (ex)

He will later fuse with a ball of adamantium (wild magically)

At will:
+4 natural armour
+4 Str, +200lb body weight
DR 5/adamantium (and looks like made of adamantium)

This IS meant to be a bit of a silly/fun campaign, so yes the connotations ARE there...

Compare this to Half-Fiend SRD:
3 natural Attacks
Smite Good
Spell-like abilities: Darkness 3/day and Desecration
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Immunity to poison.
* Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, and fire 10.
* Damage reduction: 5/magic
* A half-fiend’s natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
* Spell resistance equal to creature’s HD + 10 (maximum 35).
Str +4, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +4, Cha +2.

Whilst the Frightful Presence is really cool for the bard AND it grows in power as he does, there is nothing else that grows with HD/levels. The Guitar is based on Storm Druid alternative class.
I will be treating the party as if it is 4 levels higher, but I wont be giving anyone an XP penalty.

The ranger is receiving skill points for learning stuff from various NPCs (I dont know how many, how many should I give him?), a feat which allows him to craft, effectively repeating crossbow but better, repeating pistols.
Then a legendary rifle (think scout from CSS) which takes time to set up (tripod), 2 full rounds to reload, but does:
d6+ 3d6(blunt), 19-20/x2, 1000' range
2F reload DC18 Ref

What do you guys think I should change round for balancing purposes?
Any other ideas you guys have?

Forevernade
2009-11-17, 08:18 AM
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh55/band-music/Electric_guitar_lightning_spee_by_C.jpg

Forevernade
2009-11-17, 08:48 AM
The other option I was thinking of doing for the ranger was giving him a quest to steal the secrets of the Sand Druids. Which are a special band of Druids who can turn, at will, into sand like a Worm That Walks can collapse into a bunch of bugs. They then use gust of wind on themselves and travel at super speeds across the desert, which is awesome in it's own right, despite the massive defense mechanism of being able to turn into sand.