PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] The Renzokuken

Merk
2009-11-17, 07:32 AM
If you've played Final Fantasy VIII, then you should be familiar with the main characters limit break, Renzokuken, where he takes his sword and smacks the enemy multiple times and then usually finishes with some crazy uber move. I've been trying to replicate that, so here's my attempt:

Prepare a warblade with 2x Time Stands Still and 1x Strike of Perfect Clarity. Buy a Belt of Battle and a Contingent Celerity spell (4,400 GP) with the trigger being the activation of four successive full attack actions. Use a Speed Weapon.

1. Be within a 5 ft. step of the enemy you want to strike.
2. Initiate Time Stands Still.
3. Immediately activate 3 charges on your belt of battle for another full-round action.
4. Initiate Time Stands Still.
5. Contingent Celerity activates.
6. Initiate Strike of Perfect Clarity.

If it works, you've just done 4 full attack routines (each with an extra strike due to speed weapon) plus a strike with +100 damage against a single target.

So, what I'm wondering is:
1. Is this even legal via RAW in the first place?
2. Is it possible to squeeze in more attacks before the finisher?
3. Is it possible to enhance the damage on the finisher?

Kaiyanwang
2009-11-17, 07:49 AM
You didn't wrote "???" and "profit". For the rest, I wonder if there are ways to have MORE attacks (slashing flurry, as an example).

Ryuuk
2009-11-17, 08:17 AM
Well, I don't think you can ready the same maneuver twice to begin with, so you would have to look for a way to recover it immediately.

Look for synergy between the maneuvers. There's a stance that lets you use two swift actions, there are tiger claw boosts that give you more attacks, as long as you don't want to finish with Lionheart after the Renzokuken, using any of the 9th level strikes would be ideal.

Dacia Brabant
2009-11-17, 09:54 AM
Well, I don't think you can ready the same maneuver twice to begin with, so you would have to look for a way to recover it immediately.

This. In order to pull this off using the maneuvers you specify, you'll need to go 10 levels into Eternal Blade, which nicely enough gets Diamond Mind and Iron Heart maneuvers. So use Time Stands Still on the first round, then use Eternal Training as a swift action to gain Time Stands Still, then use Island in Time as an immediate action right after your turn ends to take another turn, in which you initiate Time Stands Still, which activates your Contingent Celerity so you can execute Strike of Perfect Clarity.

More optimal than this is using Avalanche of Blades in your regular turn, combined with Stormguard Warrior to make a bunch of touch attacks (so pretty much as many as you can until you roll a 1) for a whole bunch of bonus damage when you initiate Time Stands Still and Strike of Perfect Clarity. You'd have to reword the Contingency for 3 full attacks instead of 4 though. Or just get a party member with White Raven Tactics instead.

???
Profit. :smalltongue:

Skaven
2009-11-17, 10:09 AM
A custom PrC is probably the only way of replicating this kind of thing.

Anyway, Omnislash > Renzokuken ;D

Starbuck_II
2009-11-17, 10:21 AM
If you've played Final Fantasy VIII, then you should be familiar with the main characters limit break, Renzokuken, where he takes his sword and smacks the enemy multiple times and then usually finishes with some crazy uber move. I've been trying to replicate that, so here's my attempt:

Prepare a warblade with 2x Time Stands Still and 1x Strike of Perfect Clarity. Buy a Belt of Battle and a Contingent Celerity spell (4,400 GP) with the trigger being the activation of four successive full attack actions. Use a Speed Weapon.

1. Be within a 5 ft. step of the enemy you want to strike.
2. Initiate Time Stands Still.
3. Immediately activate 3 charges on your belt of battle for another full-round action.
4. Initiate Time Stands Still.
5. Contingent Celerity activates.
6. Initiate Strike of Perfect Clarity.

If it works, you've just done 4 full attack routines (each with an extra strike due to speed weapon) plus a strike with +100 damage against a single target.

So, what I'm wondering is:
1. Is this even legal via RAW in the first place?
2. Is it possible to squeeze in more attacks before the finisher?
3. Is it possible to enhance the damage on the finisher?

You can't ready more than one version of a maneuver at a time. The only way around that is martial scripts (basically Martial Adept scrolls).

9mm
2009-11-17, 10:59 AM
You can't ready more than one version of a maneuver at a time. The only way around that is martial scripts (basically Martial Adept scrolls).

page cite for this? I haven't seen any text to that effect.

Thalnawr
2009-11-17, 11:47 AM
It was in the ToB CustServ thread (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19860966/Tome_of_Battle_CustServ_Q38A_UPDATED_Aug_17). Very first question, actually.

Eldariel
2009-11-17, 02:13 PM
Eternal Blade could do it, though Squall is by no means an Elf (I think). Eternal Training allows effectively "recovering" a maneuver immediately once per encounter. Then just Island in Time for extra full-round giving you:
- Use Move Action to close in on the enemy.
- Use your Swift Action to initiate Island in Time, launch Time Stands Still with the full-round action.
- Use your Swift Action from Island in Time-turn to use Belt of Battle for a full-round action. Use Eternal Training to learn Time Stands Still. Launch Time Stands Still.
- Use your Standard Action to initiate your Lionheart, whatever that is (I personally suggest Mountain Tombstone Strike).

I don't see why you'd need two Time Stands Stills though. You could instead pull Avalanche of Blades with Channeling the Storm [from Stromguard Warrior-feat], followed by Time Stands Still and then e.g. Mountain Tombstone Strike.

You could also engineer scenarios where this is doable with Moment of Alacrity. That has the advantage of not being level 20 minimum, but takes much more work and only generally gives you two full-rounds.

Wings of Peace
2009-11-17, 02:17 PM
If you've played Final Fantasy VIII, then you should be familiar with the main characters limit break, Renzokuken, where he takes his sword and smacks the enemy multiple times and then usually finishes with some crazy uber move.

Being picky but if it's Final Fantasy VIII I believe it is actually a Gunblade he is smacking the enemy multiple times with. :smallsmile:

Blackfang108
2009-11-17, 02:48 PM
Being picky but if it's Final Fantasy VIII I believe it is actually a Gunblade he is smacking the enemy multiple times with. :smallsmile:

So you mount a tiny repeating X-Bow on the sword. :smallbiggrin:

Or make it a flaming/lightning/frost weapon. :smallsmile:

Grumman
2009-11-17, 03:00 PM
So you mount a tiny repeating X-Bow on the sword. :smallbiggrin:
Make it a slashing version of the Spear Spikard from Magic of Eberron.

Sintanan
2009-11-17, 03:23 PM
Or just sovereign glue some sort of wand (acid arrows, orb spells, magic missile) to the sword. :smallbiggrin:

Wings of Peace
2009-11-17, 03:55 PM
Or just sovereign glue some sort of wand (acid arrows, orb spells, magic missile) to the sword. :smallbiggrin:

Gotta be something fiery to give it that optional flame bust from firing if you pull the trigger on impact! I for one enjoyed that feature.

Deth Muncher
2009-11-17, 04:37 PM
Or, you know, go to the Guide to Gunpowder in my sig. It's got hilt-pistols in it. And it's WotC-made, so you know it's good!* Actually, it's Dragon Mag, so DMs might be leery about including it, but, y'know, it exists.

*Note - All statements are not necessarily the opinions of this user. Any misfortune that may befall you is not the responsibility of this user, and it is not his responsibility to help you should your spleen be gorged out due to following his advice.

Krow
2009-11-17, 04:41 PM
Hmm... For the Limit Break, I'm thinking he uses Avalanche of Blades with a Permanent Wraithstrike Enhancement (Squall has a Base Accuracy of 255% at level 1 - He doesn't miss, even when blinded). His Avalanche though, would stop at the eighth attack or so (More attacks for larger / more cinematic opponents). Lastly, the Gunblade would be something like a +X Explosive Bastard Sword or something similar (Give him evasion to avoid damage). It increases damage by a small amount, just like in the game. :smallwink:

AslanCross
2009-11-17, 05:32 PM
Make it a slashing version of the Spear Spikard from Magic of Eberron.

I thought the Alchemy Blade (from the same book) was more like a gunblade, albeit without the impact of a gun. It flames when it hits thanks to the flask of Alchemist's Fire you insert into the hilt.