PDA

View Full Version : Magical Radio (PEACH)

Lysander
2009-11-17, 12:12 PM
A handy spell if your party is venturing in different directions. It does have some penalties though that balance out it's utility:

Transmission
Transmutation
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./level)
Targets: One metal object/level
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (held object)
Spell Resistance: No

You imbue metal objects with a magical aura that allows them to send and receive sounds. Any sound wave as quiet as a whisper or as loud as a human scream received by the object is transmitted in the form of undetectable waves of energy that carry as far as one mile. Quieter sounds aren't transmitted, louder ones are slightly garbled and sent at the maximum volume. All other metal objects under a transmission spell within range instantly replay that sound. The maximum volume is not loud enough to transfer sonic damage, and it cannot transmit functioning verbal components, command words, or activate magical effects at a distance. The transmission cannot penetrate a metal box that completely encloses the transceiver or receiver. Other weaknesses of the transmission spell is a lack of security, allowing anyone using the spell to listen in on your conversation, and the natural loss of stealth when carrying an object that produces sound. Transmission can be made permanent with the permanency spell, applied to a single metal object with each casting of permanency.

mikeejimbo
2009-11-17, 01:21 PM
I'm confused about one thing: What's the range of the transmission?

Other than that, it looks good. Reminds me of some d20 Modern spells I was homebrewing. I wonder if I can find them...

DracoDei
2009-11-17, 01:34 PM
1 mile it says.

sigurd
2009-11-17, 02:00 PM
The only problem is that cheap access to this sort of spell modernizes the game world really quickly. Players don't get sent to the mysterious forest - the warden in the forest calls in and says there are three giants causing problems in the chasm.

Sigurd

mikeejimbo
2009-11-17, 03:11 PM
1 mile it says.

Dang, I thought I read it carefully enough.