PDA

View Full Version : Yes I know they suck.

Thefurmonger
2009-11-17, 02:54 PM
Hey all, as the title says I am well aware that most of you think Monks are total crap.

Haveing said that I will be playing one in a upcoming 3.5ish campaign.

Odd house rules:
Pathfinder Monk http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/basic-classes/monk
Feat every other level not every 3rd (again like pathfinder)

Basics:
32 Pt buy
all 3.5 allowed
not optimised party

We will be a toumb raiding, Indiana Jones style group.
We tend to not have the typical I hit him, he hits me style combat
We like a more flowing, cinimatic style.

OA is ok.

The Character concept I was going with was a Human (Due to the game world monks must be human) who's family was dishonered and exiled to the west, where they ended up joining a circus as acrobats.
The Amazing Lin is going to be my character and make liberal use of skill tricks for movement (up the walls, etc)

Ok, now to my question, how do I make this work? I have not really dont much with Monks in the past. Any help or guidence would be awsome.

**Due to useing Pathfinder Monk, a lot of the monk guides out there really dont work well**

Ormagoden
2009-11-17, 02:56 PM
Is this the first monk thread for this week?

Indon
2009-11-17, 02:59 PM
The Pathfinder monk is substantially more powerful than the base Monk.

If the Monk's the only class getting this treatment, he could potentially be pretty high-end among the group's nonspellcasters, in fact.

Who else in the group is being Pathfindered?

Thefurmonger
2009-11-17, 03:10 PM
well, its a small Party. just 3 people.

Thus far it is a 3.5 Factotum (Sp?)
Me a Monk (Pathfinder)
And one other character I THINK she is going Sorc(or warmage)/Fiendblooded. (Firey Blaster type).

Thats the party.

Oh to clarify I would be playing the only Pathfinder class, the DM offered Pathfinder Pali but the other 2 said no thank you.

Mando Knight
2009-11-17, 03:18 PM
the DM offered Pathfinder Pali but the other 2 said no thank you.

Oh, come on! That's the second-best rebuild of the Paladin I've seen, and it's far more competent than 3.5's "Take 2, 4, or 5 levels and get out" Paladin.

Thefurmonger
2009-11-17, 03:19 PM
I agree 100%, I love the PF Pali, but for a dungeon crawling, action filmish campaign the other players didnt think it fit.

Indon
2009-11-17, 03:23 PM
Alongside a Factotum and a Warmage, you should be just fine.

Mando Knight
2009-11-17, 03:24 PM
I agree 100%, I love the PF Pali, but for a dungeon crawling, action filmish campaign the other players didnt think it fit.

Sorry princess, but your knight isn't raiding castles anymore. :smallconfused:

The Knight in Shining Armor is one of the oldest types of fantasy warriors.

Dimers
2009-11-17, 04:45 PM
The Character concept I was going with was a Human (Due to the game world monks must be human) who's family was dishonered and exiled to the west, where they ended up joining a circus as acrobats. The Amazing Lin is going to be my character and make liberal use of skill tricks for movement (up the walls, etc)

If you're not trying to stay a straight-up monk, swashbuckler base class and thief-acrobat PrC certainly add to the "fluid battleground" concept. Psychic warrior powers and some psionic feats improve movement ability too, but in a much more solid and mechanical way. I'm not at home so I don't have access to UA at the mo', but there might be a monk ACF there that offers some cinematic options. Elusive Target is a very fun feat to shoot for, IMO, and you might even have some fun with Improved Bull Rush and Shock Trooper.

Thefurmonger
2009-11-17, 04:54 PM
I had thought of splashing Swashbuckler in there for a few levels, I had even thought of CA Ninja for the invis.

its just hard to justify leaving the PF Monk.

Ill take another look at Swash, Thanks for the advice.

Douglas
2009-11-17, 04:59 PM
Oh, come on! That's the second-best rebuild of the Paladin I've seen, and it's far more competent than 3.5's "Take 2, 4, or 5 levels and get out" Paladin.
I'll agree about not taking just 1 level, but level 3 is good too. Immunity to fear effects and diseases is very nice.

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-17, 05:26 PM
Never mind. I found something.

Doc Roc
2009-11-17, 05:33 PM

Fourth or fifth here. But still a relatively decent if not exceptional one. One thing to remember is that a weird array of spells have been nerfed, changed, rewritten, or in some cases buffed, in pathfinder. Leading to a lot of subtle differences.

That said, I actually don't think their monk is that much better than normal. It's certainly no higher than tier 4. My suggestion is to talk to your GM about what kind of monsters to expect. As a lot of the new PF monk stuff inflicts conditions or similar, it's important to know what you'll be facing when plotting out your build.

It will depend on if your factotum uses Font of Inspiration, and if the other player is a sorcerer or warmage. If they are a sorcerer, then their spell list is the primary power concern.

Thefurmonger
2009-11-18, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the replies and info guys