PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Wonderous Object, Momentum Accelerator- Need Help Pricing

Human Paragon 3
2009-11-17, 03:34 PM
The Momentum Accelerator

This canister-like silver cylinder is about an inch thick and four inches high, and includes a metallic clip that allows it to be attached and worn on any belt. The Accelerator has no immediate effect, but triggers when the wearer moves, increasing his momentum substantially. The unique properties of the accelerator allow for a net increase in momentum without actually increasing the mass or speed of the wearer.

The accelerator has only a small, barely detectable effect on normal tactical movement that grants no numerical bonus. However, while the wearer runs or charges, he loses his dexterity bonus to armor class, and he and all his gear are considered one size category larger for the purpose of opposed rolls and weapon damage. In addition, falling damage is increased for the wearer by a factor of 50%.

The improved momentum accelerator increases effective size category by two steps and the greater momentum accelerator increases effective size category by 3 steps. Both improved and greater momentum accelerator increase falling damage by double. All take up the belt slot.

Chrono22
2009-11-17, 03:42 PM
This item makes no sense.
I mean, not just realistically, but mechanically.
There are no constant effect magic items that let you ignore their drawbacks whenever you would suffer them (that would be like having infinite immediate actions).
So, the wearer should suffer four times (or sixteen times, if he is two size categories larger) the normal fall damage.
On top of that, it should incur some kind of dexterity penalty.

Edwin
2009-11-17, 03:49 PM
This item makes no sense.
I mean, not just realistically, but mechanically.
There are no constant effect magic items that let you ignore their drawbacks whenever you would suffer them (that would be like having infinite immediate actions).
So, the wearer should suffer four times (or sixteen times, if he is two size categories larger) the normal fall damage.
On top of that, it should incur some kind of dexterity penalty.

I agree.

Being three size categories larger, especially for someone charging with a two-handed weapon, has immense use.

Give it some drawbacks, dude.

Human Paragon 3
2009-11-17, 04:25 PM
The increased falling damage is a good idea. I'll make a few changes.

So what do you think the price of the item should be?

Human Paragon 3
2009-11-19, 01:15 PM
Still looking for help pricing this.

Telonius
2009-11-19, 01:45 PM
What level spell is Giant Size? That seems like it's the closest approximation of what this gizmo will do. Use-activated. I'd knock the pricing down a bit since it does have drawbacks, and doesn't gain all the benefits of Giant Size.

Ouranos
2009-11-19, 01:53 PM
I'd give it a cooldown. Like it can only activate once and then needs yDx rounds to recharge. Maybe 2d4? I mean most people don't charge constantly, but this would prevent those who do (usually the result of a DM mistake like spacing out enemies in an open field :D) from being able to say have a barbarian who is already large size raging and charging great wyrm dragons and killing them in a single crit.

ericgrau
2009-11-19, 02:03 PM
Remember +4 to +12 on special attacks is crazy powerful. Unlimited use enlarge person should be 4,000 gp by the guidelines, but normally there is no such item available, you need to spend a round downing a potion and it only works on humanoids. So I'd price it a lot higher or outright disallow it. 2-3 size categories is just getting crazy. Um... I know, lesser artifact. Bam, problem solved.

Human Paragon 3
2009-11-19, 07:48 PM
Lesser artifact! I like it.

What level would you introduce this artifact at? Is 3 too low for the normal version (one size category)?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-19, 07:59 PM
Why does moving really fast allow rogues to sneak attack you (you lose Dexterity to AC)?

DracoDei
2009-11-19, 08:10 PM
Because the increased momentum means that you can swerve to defend yourself about as well as an 18-wheeler.

Human Paragon 3
2009-11-25, 02:09 AM
Why does moving really fast allow rogues to sneak attack you (you lose Dexterity to AC)?

First of all, you're not moving really fast. You're moving at your normal speed, but with twice the momentum, i.e. it's harder for you to stop.

Second of all...

Because the increased momentum means that you can swerve to defend yourself about as well as an 18-wheeler.

This. You are essentially increasing your inertia.

Still trying to figure out what level this artifact is appropriate for.