PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] EtCR Encounter Question

Scipio
2009-11-17, 04:51 PM
I am running Ravenloft, and I have a question about the famous church encounter and the Circle of Death scroll. How is Danovich supposed to use this scroll, as it is not even a cleric spell?

BTW I have already swapped it out for a Mass Inflict Moderate, but I don't understand what the designers were thinking about this issue with the arcane scroll.

Thanks.

Thurbane
2009-11-17, 05:58 PM
The scroll is described as a page torn out of Liber Blaspheme, so you could handwave it as a non-standard item. If he had the Magic domain, he'd also have a chance to use the scroll, but his domains are listed as Death and Evil.
But yeah, it seems quite silly, actually. I assume the writers got mixed up since Undeath to Death (the reverse of Circle of Death) is both Wizard and Cleric.

Scipio
2009-11-17, 06:33 PM
Thanks. I was afraid I had missed something.

Thurbane
2009-11-17, 06:43 PM
I'm quite glad you posted this, actually. I'll be runnning EtCR as the next adventure for my group, and it's good to have a heads up on this error. I have read about other people swapping it for a scroll of Mass Inflict Moderate, but I thought that was for balance reasons. Now I can see the main reason people swap it out.

It actually irks me a bit that so many of the *****rdly errors creep into WotC publications...

Scipio
2009-11-17, 10:50 PM
It may have some problems, but we are having a lot of fun so far. The party has made it through to the town square, and they are now headed to the church.