PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Human + Eladrin = ?

LibraryOgre
2009-11-17, 05:01 PM
So, our wizard is lying low for right now, which means he's shacking up with a priestess of Ioun. While it's currently academic (we've only been around a couple weeks), what would be the crossbreeding result of a human and an eladrin? Half-elf? Tiefling? Dragonborn? Pit fiend?

HenryHankovitch
2009-11-17, 05:04 PM
Shame and recriminations.

Ormagoden
2009-11-17, 05:05 PM
Although it doesn't follow the backstory at all.

I feel you would end up with a Illumian or atleast something like that.

HMS Invincible
2009-11-17, 05:07 PM
Half elf from 3.5

Optimystik
2009-11-17, 05:09 PM

Illumians were born due to regular humans getting infused with magic words, not by getting freaky with the fey.

FoE
2009-11-17, 05:10 PM
Just a half-elf. Elves and eladrin are still the same species, after all. The latter's just a bit more in touch with its fey roots.

Ormagoden
2009-11-17, 05:11 PM
Illumians were born due to regular humans getting infused with magic words, not by getting freaky with the fey.

Thank your for reinforcing my earlier statement. Which I will post again with a bit more emphasis for you.

DSCrankshaw
2009-11-17, 05:11 PM
I also vote for half-elf.

It's the same result if you cross human with drow, eladrin, or elf, as they're the same species.

hamishspence
2009-11-17, 05:12 PM
Eladrins are enough like elves (moon elves and sun elves in 4E Faerun are now eladrin) that you can make a case for a half-human/half-eladrin using the same rules as a half-elf.

Half-human half-devil = Cambion.

Tieflings apparently can't be diluted any further- going by the "cursed" backstory, the offspring of tiefling/human interactions is always a tiefling.

If the being is mostly human, Human is probably the simplest choice- though maybe hint at other ancestry- a little orc ancestry can be mentioned, for example, as a little greenish tint to the skin, or unusually sharp lower canines.

Asbestos
2009-11-17, 05:13 PM
PbP campaign I'm in has one of these, he calls himself a half-elf. None of us seem to have any issue with that.
But, if you want something more 'special' you could probably just make some slight tweaks to the standard half-elf. Dump the +CHA bonus for +INT (making them a CON/INT race!) trade out the diplomacy bonus for Arcana, done. Don't see a reason for trading out the racial power for anything else. Fey Step has to do with explicitly being otherworldly fey, being halfsie seems like it'd ruin that.

Optimystik
2009-11-17, 05:13 PM

That conclusion does not follow

Hai guyz, drow + warforged = kender discuss

Asbestos
2009-11-17, 05:15 PM
That conclusion does not follow

I think he's saying that magical humanoid + human = magical human. Which, in all honesty, isn't too absurd.

Ormagoden
2009-11-17, 05:17 PM
I think he's saying that magical humanoid + human = magical human. Which, in all honesty, isn't too absurd.

I didn't think it was a stretch...

But if you want to be realistic and nit picky you'd have a good chance of getting this. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abortive)

Gamerlord
2009-11-17, 05:18 PM
So, our wizard is lying low for right now, which means he's shacking up with a priestess of Ioun. While it's currently academic (we've only been around a couple weeks), what would be the crossbreeding result of a human and an eladrin? Half-elf? Tiefling? Dragonborn? Pit fiend?

You want to WHAT?

Maybe..a slyph?

KillianHawkeye
2009-11-17, 05:22 PM

Now I'm picturing an emo, 3 foot tall robot kleptomaniac.

Which is hilarious. :smallamused:

Mando Knight
2009-11-17, 05:33 PM
The correct answer is either "whatever the player using the character can justify to the DM" or "the mother's race."

Otherwise, you get into weird racial relationships and deciding which one has dominance and stuff. The latter is stolen from Pokemon.

Blackfang108
2009-11-17, 05:33 PM
The correct answer is either "whatever the player using the character can justify to the DM" or "the mother's race."

Otherwise, you get into weird racial relationships and deciding which one has dominance and stuff. The latter is stolen from Pokemon.

So, he's whatever race his mom was, unless she was a changeling?

DSCrankshaw
2009-11-17, 05:37 PM

While the books don't spell it out, if the mother was a changeling, I think the child is too. In the changeling backstory in Divine Power, there was only one changeling to begin with, but who was apparently able to interbreed and create more.

Mando Knight
2009-11-17, 05:39 PM

And changelings can be found in some quantity in the wild, but never breed pure. The child learns any of the father's at-wills if they're the same class, and the same first-level feat, if possible. The stats are randomly determined by distributing the parent's abilities and some randomly generated stats. :smalltongue:

Inyssius Tor
2009-11-17, 05:42 PM
Elf, because elves are basically half-eladrin anyway; it's just they lost the other half via migration, not miscegenation.

Or something odd. Really, anything odd. We're talking about the fey here.

Nightson
2009-11-17, 05:45 PM
Unless someone is going to play the kid as a character, it doesn't really matter.

Gamerlord
2009-11-17, 05:47 PM
Unless someone is going to play the kid as a character, it doesn't really matter.

N-P-C, spell it with me folks! Also, PLOTS HOOKS AHOY!

Hal
2009-11-17, 06:00 PM
FWIW, I've been tinkering with half-breed rules for 4e along the lines of the hybrid classes.

In essence, you pick your parental races, you choose between some of the inherent bonuses from each race, and you pick the racial power from one of the races. I like the idea of a plug-and-play half-breed, although I'm still figuring out how to deal with balance. One of the guys in my group says that it's too loose right now; if he were making a rogue, for example, he'd just pick up a half-breed with as many rogue-friendly racial bonuses as possible.

Asbestos
2009-11-17, 06:04 PM
FWIW, I've been tinkering with half-breed rules for 4e along the lines of the hybrid classes.

In essence, you pick your parental races, you choose between some of the inherent bonuses from each race, and you pick the racial power from one of the races. I like the idea of a plug-and-play half-breed, although I'm still figuring out how to deal with balance. One of the guys in my group says that it's too loose right now; if he were making a rogue, for example, he'd just pick up a half-breed with as many rogue-friendly racial bonuses as possible.

Oh, what about a 'Fey Heritage' feat path like the Deva and Vampiric Heritage ones? The entry feat gives you a 1/day teleport and a bonus to checks involving fey creatures?

In this case the character would be half-elf with Fey Heritage.

Tiki Snakes
2009-11-17, 10:18 PM
Just a Half-Elf.

The difference between Eladrin, Elf, and Drow only matters to Eladrin, Elves and Drow. :smalltongue:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-17, 10:21 PM
Just a Half-Elf.

The difference between Eladrin, Elf, and Drow only matters to Eladrin, Elves and Drow. :smalltongue:Everyone else just lights them all on fire.

Also, I recommend hitting the munchkin with every protective ritual you can. Nothing says plot hooks like popping out a podling.

Ravens_cry
2009-11-17, 10:24 PM
A really snooty half-elf.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-17, 10:36 PM
A really snooty half-elf.A lot of fire.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-11-18, 12:00 AM
I actually rather like Eladrin. Of course, I tend to make kleptomaniacs who claim that they steal Magical Items to offer them to Corellon, so there is that.

Kurald Galain
2009-11-18, 04:18 AM
I vote for Dragonborn.

...what? :smalltongue:

dsmiles
2009-11-18, 04:48 AM
Just a Half-Elf.

The difference between Eladrin, Elf, and Drow only matters to Eladrin, Elves and Drow. :smalltongue:

I's have to agree on this one. The only differences in the half-elf subraces (by 1e and 2e standards) were only in physical appearance. 3.x put a twist on the half-drow, but I never bought into it.

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-18, 04:49 AM
Half-Eladrin (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Half-eladrin)

Reluctance
2009-11-18, 04:51 AM
If you must make them interfertile, half-elf with access to eladrin options rather than elf options. Easiest and most reasonable way to do it. Still, two quibbles.

First, legacy aside, I I'm an anti-fan of the the "everything can make babies with everything" attitude earlier editions had. An elf and a human are too biologically incompatible to have anything happen. A dragon and a dwarf gets nothing except for horrified looks. Etc.

Second, assuming interfertility, what you get is a baby. They squirm, gurgle, and poo. If you need rules or stats for them, you're playing a very odd game.

Sliver
2009-11-18, 05:00 AM
Second, assuming interfertility, what you get is a baby. They squirm, gurgle, and poo. If you need rules or stats for them, you're playing a very odd game.

What is their CR anyway?

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-18, 05:08 AM
Do they get Attacks of Opportunity when unclothed?

Sir Homeslice
2009-11-18, 05:15 AM
What is their CR anyway?

I think they're level 1 minions.

Mando Knight
2009-11-18, 08:04 AM
An elf and a human are too biologically incompatible to have anything happen.

So you're not a fan of Elrond, Arwen, or Aragorn, I take it?

Hzurr
2009-11-18, 11:24 AM
There was an old quote by Randall I think that went something like this:

Human: Hey Elf, you look like a girl
Elf: Like that really matters to you! Humans will sleep with anything that walks. Half-elves, Half-Orcs,
Dwarf: half-dragons,
Human: Shut up.
Elf: Half-giants...
Dwarf: Half-ogres...
Human: SHUT UP!
Elf: ...
Dwarf: ...
Elf: ...Centaurs

Optimystik
2009-11-18, 11:27 AM

Elf: Like that really matters to you! Humans will sleep with anything that walks. Half-elves, Half-Orcs,

We're the pimps of the multiverse, all right :smallcool:

dsmiles
2009-11-18, 11:32 AM
Also if you read back in the game far enough (I believe that this was in the 2e Complete Book of Elves which I still use as a reference), you'll come up with this Elven social norm (also statistical norm):

Both parents Elven (read now as Elf or Eladrin): Elf
One Elf, One Human: Half-Elf
One Elf, One Half-Elf: Half-Elf
One Human, One Half-Elf: Human
Two Humans: Human

LibraryOgre
2009-11-21, 03:20 AM

I'll point out that centaurs look a lot more like elves than they do humans.

taltamir
2009-11-21, 03:31 AM

nice... although.... everything can also be a half-dragon too :)

I think someone made a good point that the baby is gonna basically eat, **** and sleep all day, because it is a baby... You just don't stat it.

LibraryOgre
2009-11-21, 01:10 PM
I think someone made a good point that the baby is gonna basically eat, **** and sleep all day, because it is a baby... You just don't stat it.

Not to pick on you, specifically taltamir, but this answer annoys me, for a few reasons.

1) Sure, we don't need the stats of the baby... until we do. Does it get kidnapped, brought to another plane where time is accelerated, and raised as the perfect assassin against our wizard, his father? If so, what race is it?
2) Similar question. We reach the end of our adventuring days. We hit 30th, slap everyone on the back, and head off to our respective Valhallas to cavort with our Valkyries/Graduate Students/Roombas. We don't, however, abandon the world. When we start over, someone wants to play the child of Berry, who grew up in a world dominated by the dragonborn family Rex and their army of insane Warforged. What race is he?
3) Lose the frame story entirely. Someone is working on this as a background, and the argument came up at the table. Who is right? Is the baby a half-elf, or is this where Dragonborn come from?

Stating "You don't need stats, so why do you care" is dismissive of the actual question... as if everything in the game world boiled down to "How much XP and gold does it drop when I kill it?"