PDA

View Full Version : Answered. Closed.

Barbarian MD
2009-11-17, 08:52 PM
I'm back with another question, fellow 'Grounders!

I'm building a character who is basically the Operative from Firefly, the Dwarven Paladin from Goblins, and John Preston from Equilibrium.

Such a character needs a fast mode of travel, and I want an airship. I have up to 500,000 gp to spend on this sucker.

I checked out the airships from Eberron, but there's a direct relationship between speed and size. I need something smaller, like a crew of less than 10. But I still want to be able to cover at least 100 miles in a day, if not 200.

So, fellow 'Grounders, where should I look? What book contains the answers to my needs? Is there a book I'm not thinking of, or should I cobble something together from the Stronghold Builder's Guide. Or should I move this thread to the Homebrew section?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: For clarification, I guess I should point this out: my monk already has a fly speed of 80', so he can do something like 80 miles in a day by himself.

I'd like a ship that can do at least twice that, if not more, and can carry others.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-17, 08:54 PM
Must it be an Airship? An undead Dragon has many of the same benefits, and is much easier to boost the speed of.

Choco
2009-11-17, 09:01 PM
Must it be an Airship? An undead Dragon has many of the same benefits, and is much easier to boost the speed of.

And it has no upkeep costs. Though you will have to do something about the smell.

Yeah, I would suggest talking with the DM about homebrewing something. Some things just dont exist in the official books.

Barbarian MD
2009-11-17, 09:05 PM
In this campaign, basically anything that's not human is evil. Arcane magic detects as evil to a paladin. It's Dystopia, with a capital D. I don't think dragons would be allowed to live.

Yes, my character is definitely one of the bad guys Children of the Light good guys.

But no, it doesn't have to be an airship.

Choco
2009-11-17, 09:10 PM
I don't think dragons would be allowed to live.

There lies the beauty in having an UNDEAD dragon! You got gotta worry about pesky little details like it being "allowed to live" :smalltongue:

Is this a world where airships are common technology? Or do they even normally exist at all?

Barbarian MD
2009-11-17, 09:28 PM
There's airships everywhere, apparently.

As an aside, there's a giant anti-teleport artifact blanketing the country, so it's either airships or horse and/or carriage.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-17, 09:33 PM
There's airships everywhere, apparently.

As an aside, there's a giant anti-teleport artifact blanketing the country, so it's either airships or horse and/or carriage.Fun fact. A wheeled Tiny Animated Object has 80' move speed and can carry 18 lbs as a light load. Get enough of those together, build a platform, and you can travel around the nation by surfing on the backs of robots.

Deth Muncher
2009-11-17, 09:41 PM
Fun fact. A wheeled Tiny Animated Object has 80' move speed and can carry 18 lbs as a light load. Get enough of those together, build a platform, and you can travel around the nation by surfing on the backs of robots.

If I have been anywhere, it was on the shoulders of robots.

Asbestos
2009-11-17, 09:43 PM
Fun fact. A wheeled Tiny Animated Object has 80' move speed and can carry 18 lbs as a light load. Get enough of those together, build a platform, and you can travel around the nation by surfing on the backs of robots.

Extremely well coordinated robots to boot.

I was thinking some sort of flying animated object.

But, what's wrong with a crew? The guy from Firefly had a warship didn't he?

Barbarian MD
2009-11-17, 09:49 PM
Nothing's wrong with a crew. I'd definitely want a pilot, so I could sleep on the flight.

What I don't want is a crew of 200, which is what a galley airship requires. The thing is, they have the fastest move speed. A rowboat only has a couple of crew members, but it's got an incredibly slow speed (my flying monk can do 86 miles in a day, which is faster than most ships).

Deth Muncher
2009-11-17, 09:52 PM
Nothing's wrong with a crew. I'd definitely want a pilot, so I could sleep on the flight.

What I don't want is a crew of 200, which is what a galley airship requires. The thing is, they have the fastest move speed. A rowboat only has a couple of crew members, but it's got an incredibly slow speed (my flying monk can do 86 miles in a day, which is faster than most ships).

Resetting trap of Unseen Servant?

Asbestos
2009-11-17, 10:03 PM
Resetting trap of Unseen Servant?

Depends on how simple flying an airship is...

Choco
2009-11-17, 10:10 PM
A colossal effigy creature costs 50,000g + 2,000g/HD. So an effigy of a great wyrm gold dragon would run ya only 132k gold.

Effigy creatures are described in Complete Arcane, they are basically robots. So yeah, for only 132k gold out of your 500k, you can be riding your very own robotic great wyrm gold dragon!

Deth Muncher
2009-11-17, 10:59 PM
Depends on how simple flying an airship is...

That's fair, but isn't there a better Unseen Servant somewhere? One that can do something over a DC10 skill check?

Jayngfet
2009-11-17, 11:33 PM
In this campaign, basically anything that's not human is evil. Arcane magic detects as evil to a paladin. It's Dystopia, with a capital D. I don't think dragons would be allowed to live.

Yes, my character is definitely one of the bad guys Children of the Light good guys.

But no, it doesn't have to be an airship.

Wait, does this make celestials evil? Metallic Dragons?

Doc Roc
2009-11-18, 12:33 AM
Level of physics "realism" in your game? Answering is probably a bad plan. In fact, just start running now. It won't help, but at least you won't see it coming.

BobVosh
2009-11-18, 12:44 AM
www.spelljammer.org

Make an elven flitter. One man vehicle that is swift as lightning. Could go to the moon for a picnic if you wanted with one.

Doc Roc
2009-11-18, 01:08 AM
www.spelljammer.org

Make an elven flitter. One man vehicle that is swift as lightning. Could go to the moon for a picnic if you wanted with one.

Spelljammer's total-conversion is deeply incomplete, almost to the point of complete unplayability. Certainly none of it ever got any serious testing.

Iku Rex
2009-11-18, 04:20 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96729 (Gargantuan Wyvern Effigy)

dsmiles
2009-11-18, 04:44 AM
One word:
Spelljammer

The_Werebear
2009-11-18, 05:03 AM
Carriage dragged by Phantom Steeds?

PaladinBoy
2009-11-18, 06:45 AM
If you're dead set on an airship, about the only thing I can think of is some of the special abilities of the windwright captain prestige class in the Explorer's Handbook. You wouldn't need that class, but it could help, and you could ask the DM if your pilot can have it or something.

Barring that? You'll probably need homebrew. For our party's airship, we just came up with ideas and asked the DM to set game effects. I think it turned out pretty well, but then we were mostly ignoring prices for any of the enhancements.

Leon
2009-11-18, 06:50 AM
Take the elements of the larger ships and apply them to a smaller type such as a Keel Boat

Scaling down where necessary and adjusting to your needs

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-18, 07:17 AM
Oh! how much would a ship in a box with a built in Cloud Keel and a lightning Turbine and/or wind favored sales cost?! Then you could keep it in your pocket

OR, you can get an Eberron Airship (one of the big ones) and buy a few Fahrlanghn's Lines to cut back on needed crew.

A dirigible with a lightning turbine can have a movement of either 15xwind or 90 ft, whichever is better. 90ft speed x 100 rounds/ hour = 9000 ft/hour x 12 hours = 108000 ft = 20. 46 miles a day.

So to get up to 100miles/day you'd need a base speed around 90x5=450ft/round

Hmm... Can a vehicle make a run action? a constant full withdraw maybe?

Ormagoden
2009-11-18, 11:37 AM
Gray render mount with boots of flying?

Doc Roc
2009-11-18, 12:00 PM
If you have full "physics" transparency, I have a sun-crusher waiting for you, complete with hyperdrive.

Turns out there's ways to exert infinite torque in D&D. You can, in fact, fly by pulling upward on your own bootstraps.

Deth Muncher
2009-11-18, 12:18 PM
If you have full "physics" transparency, I have a sun-crusher waiting for you, complete with hyperdrive.

Turns out there's ways to exert infinite torque in D&D. You can, in fact, fly by pulling upward on your own bootstraps.

That's ridiculous. You might as well say you could fly by throwing yourself at the ground and missing.

Barbarian MD
2009-11-18, 12:38 PM
I can name at least one person who learned to fly by this method.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-18, 12:40 PM
Decanters of Endless water, sent to maximum output.

Behold, a jetpack.

Barbarian MD
2009-11-18, 01:14 PM
I guess I should point this out: my monk already has a fly speed of 70', so he can over something like 80 miles in a day by himself.

I'd like a ship that can do at least twice that, if not more, and can carry others.

I do appreciate so many people tossing out ideas!

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-18, 01:19 PM
I can name at least one person who learned to fly by this method.Flyclops, right?

Also, a Decanter of Endless Water jetpack is nigh-impossible to build and control, requiring several dozen Decanters with the same command words and an adamantine rack for them.

Barbarian MD
2009-11-18, 02:14 PM
I'll post it for the benefit of those who haven't read Douglas Adams:There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] suggests, and try it.

The first part is easy. All it requires is simply the ability to throw yourself forward with all your weight, and the willingness not to mind that it's going to hurt.

That is, it's going to hurt if you fail to miss the ground. Most people fail to miss the ground, and if they are really trying properly, the likelihood is that they will fail to miss it fairly hard.

Clearly, it is the second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.

One problem is that you have to miss the ground accidentally. It's no good deliberately intending to miss the ground because you won't. You have to have your attention suddenly distracted by something else when you're halfway there, so that you are no longer thinking about falling, or about the ground, or about how much it's going to hurt if you fail to miss it.

It is notoriously difficult to prize your attention away from these three things during the split second you have at your disposal. Hence most people's failure, and their eventual disillusionment with this exhilarating and spectacular sport.

If, however, you are lucky enough to have your attention momentarily distracted at the crucial moment by, say, a gorgeous pair of legs (tentacles, pseudopodia, according to phyllum and/or personal inclination) or a bomb going off in your vicinty, or by suddenly spotting an extremely rare species of beetle crawling along a nearby twig, then in your astonishment you will miss the ground completely and remain bobbing just a few inches above it in what might seem to be a slightly foolish manner.

This is a moment for superb and delicate concentration. Bob and float, float and bob. Ignore all consideration of your own weight simply let yourself waft higher. Do not listen to what anybody says to you at this point because they are unlikely to say anything helpful. They are most likely to say something along the lines of "Good God, you can't possibly be flying!" It is vitally important not to believe them or they will suddenly be right.

Waft higher and higher. Try a few swoops, gentle ones at first, then drift above the treetops breathing regularly.

DO NOT WAVE AT ANYBODY.

When you have done this a few times you will find the moment of distraction rapidly easier and easier to achieve.

You will then learn all sorts of things about how to control your flight, your speed, your maneuverability, and the trick usually lies in not thinking too hard about whatever you want to do, but just allowing it to happen as if it were going to anyway.

You will also learn about how to land properly, which is something you will almost certainly screw up, and screw up badly, on your first attempt.

There are private clubs you can join which help you achieve the all-important moment of distraction. They hire people with surprising bodies or opinions to leap out from behind bushes and exhibit and/or explain them at the critical moments. Few genuine hitchhikers will be able to afford to join these clubs, but some may be able to get temporary employment at them.

Doc Roc
2009-11-18, 03:04 PM
This (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872670/Broken_Super_Symmetry_in_an_Advanced_Theoretic_Gen eral_Relativistic_Interpretation_of?num=10&pg=1) thread, while dense, is one of the best resources around. You're looking for posts by Jseah re: the STAR drive. It's the cheapest and most reliable option, I believe. The gust-of-wind drive is cheaper, but less reliable and less elegant.

Small summary post. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872670/Broken_Super_Symmetry_in_an_Advanced_Theoretic_Gen eral_Relativistic_Interpretation_of&post_num=328#338468814)

A view of possible outcomes. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872670/Broken_Super_Symmetry_in_an_Advanced_Theoretic_Gen eral_Relativistic_Interpretation_of&post_num=292#338468182)

Don't use the singularity drive. Just don't.

This also includes the slightly infamous Weird Radar, which I.... will probably never live down.

Barbarian MD
2009-11-18, 03:17 PM
Doc, I don't even know where to begin with that post, but for now I'm enjoying it!

This is what I cobbled together using Stronghold, a book that I've NEVER used before and was guessing at the whole time. Am I just making this up, or would this actually work as a ship?

3 Stronghold Spaces, for a ship that's 60' long and 20' wide.
Made of Obdurium (60,000 per space = 180,000)
With Flight (15,000 per space = 25,000)
Incredible Speed, 240 miles/day (25,000 per space = 75,000)

SS1: Cockpit [with one wall Invisible'd, 5,500gp]
SS2: Barracks, 400
SS3: (1/2) Prison Cell, 500
SS3: (1/2) Bath, 400 [Connected to Bag of Devouring for sanitation, 15,500]

Decanter of Endless Water, 9000
Murlynd's Spoon, 5,500

Bed of Restoration: 38,000 (in the barracks)
Platform of Healing: 30,000 (in the barracks)

Pool (Wall) of Scrying ("Onscreen!"), 12,000

= 424,800 gp

9mm
2009-11-18, 03:17 PM
This (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872670/Broken_Super_Symmetry_in_an_Advanced_Theoretic_Gen eral_Relativistic_Interpretation_of?num=10&pg=1) thread, while dense, is one of the best resources around. You're looking for posts by Jseah re: the STAR drive. It's the cheapest and most reliable option, I believe. The gust-of-wind drive is cheaper, but less reliable and less elegant.

Small summary post. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872670/Broken_Super_Symmetry_in_an_Advanced_Theoretic_Gen eral_Relativistic_Interpretation_of&post_num=328#338468814)

A view of possible outcomes. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872670/Broken_Super_Symmetry_in_an_Advanced_Theoretic_Gen eral_Relativistic_Interpretation_of&post_num=292#338468182)

Don't use the singularity drive. Just don't.

This also includes the slightly infamous Weird Radar, which I.... will probably never live down.

I find it quite hillarious how the first sentence of the first link refernces one of your many, many, many doomsday plans.

shadow_archmagi
2009-11-18, 03:26 PM
Phantom Steed moves 20 feet per caster level. It maxes at 240 feet, which should be more than sufficient for your purposes. (that's 192 miles per day WITHOUT hustling or anything).

So yeah, just give him a Rod of Phantom Steed (once a day). At 18th caster level, it'll be ALMOST perpetual, and allow him to just blaze into places.

Barbarian MD
2009-11-18, 03:37 PM
Nice suggestion, but it's an arcane spell. Arcane magic items ping as eeevvvillllll.

It's got to be done with divine magic, or not magic at all.

shadow_archmagi
2009-11-18, 03:47 PM
Nice suggestion, but it's an arcane spell. Arcane magic items ping as eeevvvillllll.

It's got to be done with divine magic, or not magic at all.

You're the DM say that Magic Mcdeity lent him his own personal space-horse which just happens to be exactly the same as the spell in all respects.

Barbarian MD
2009-11-18, 03:51 PM
I'm not the DM. I'm trying to find something that my DM will approve.

As big as this sandbox game is, there's no way in the world I'd want to be the DM for this. Epic leadership has been allowed at Level 15, and there are armies on both sides of this conflict run by PCs. There's a whole OOC thread devoted to developing mass combat rules for when PCs go to war against each other.

Me? My character is happy to have a dog that won't chew his shoes.

That's the reason for having 500,000 gp to spend on this. There's character money, and then there's ship/stronghold/army money.

Deth Muncher
2009-11-18, 04:13 PM
I can name at least one person who learned to fly by this method.

Nitpick: Technically two, since Dent taught his girlfriend at the time, leading to an old lady being very disturbed on an airplane flight.

Johel
2009-11-18, 04:31 PM

Other fun fact : carrying capacity is multiplied with size.
Go for a Gargantuan Animated Object (CL 16) + Permanency (CL 16).
Carrying capacity : up to 8.400 lb.
Doesn't need to sleep, rest or eat, so it can travel 24/24,

Now, since it's a creature (even with the construct type, it's still a creature), it can use an item. Wing of Flying cost 54.000 gp and grant a fly capacity at 60ft/round.
That's about 36.000 ft / hour, 864.000 ft / day.
That's roughly 260 km per day.

If you don't want to risk to lose XP because of an "Dispel Magic" that erase your permanency, you can use "Lesser Planar Binding" to call a Ravid.

Cast "Charm Monster" or "Dominate Monster" on it, then lock it inside your "Airship", without access to any other object. Its SLA cast "Animate Object" (CL 20) each round on a random object but since there's only one big object around, the Ravid will cast "Animate Object" on the plane EVERY ROUND.

Since Charm Monster and Dominate Monster will last several days, it shouldn't be a big problem to keep the Ravid under control.

Barbarian MD
2009-11-18, 04:57 PM
The following has been approved by my DM:

3 Stronghold Spaces, for a ship that's 60' long and 20' wide.
Made of Obdurium (60,000 per space = 180,000) [+1,000 x 3 = 3,000 to line with lead]
With Flight (15,000 per space = 25,000)
Incredible Speed, 240 miles/day (25,000 per space = 75,000)

SS1: Cockpit [with one wall Invisible'd, 5,500gp]
SS2: Barracks, 400
SS3: (1/2) Prison Cell, 500 [210 for masterwork manacles] [150 for amazing lock] [Sigils of Antimagic, 66,000]
SS3: (1/2) Bath, 400 [Connected to Bag of Devouring for sanitation, 15,500]

Decanter of Endless Water, 9000
Murlynd's Spoon, 5,500

Bed of Restoration: 38,000 (in the barracks)
Platform of Healing: 30,000 (in the barracks)

Pool (Wall) of Scrying ("Onscreen!"), 12,000

= 494,160 gp

Does anyone see anything wrong, or anything that you'd make a suggestion about?

Thanks again for all the ideas!

Deth Muncher
2009-11-18, 04:57 PM
Whoa, wait. You DON'T mean those things from the Rayman franchise, do you? As in, the Raving Ravids? Little bunny things?

Johel
2009-11-18, 04:59 PM
Whoa, wait. You DON'T mean those things from the Rayman franchise, do you? As in, the Raving Ravids? Little bunny things?
More like this Ravid :
http://www.iwozhere.com/SRD/images/MM35_PG214a.jpg

Deth Muncher
2009-11-18, 06:27 PM
More like this Ravid :
http://www.iwozhere.com/SRD/images/MM35_PG214a.jpg

Aaaaaah, okay. I was thinking:
http://www.rayman-fanpage.de/rayman4/grafik_screens/screen_artwork/rayman-raving-rabbids_art_73.jpg

Apparently those are Rabbids though, so they're entirely different.