PDA

View Full Version : Campaign of two (weird campaign/Character help 3.5)

Sutrahariel
2009-11-17, 10:23 PM
Ok then. My new Dm decided to create a new campaign that will start at lv. 1 and be heavy roleplay, and will have extremely epic battles. (As quoted from Dm: Think about as dramatic as Lord of the Rings, sometimes with large numbers as well.) Each player, 3 in total, will create two characters that will have a solo adventure together that will most likely bring them up to lv. 3-4. The solo adventure will either be done via Yahoo/Skype, or when the Dm has time in rl.

My question to you people is this: what would be the best choice for the two characters for me? the campaign has no exact theme, I don't even know the setting, so there wont be a focus available besides the usual norm. The book limit is no Tomb of Magic, Incarnum, and Psionics. Tomb of Battle must has flash cards written out for abilities. We start with basic equipment, one masterwork item that is worth equal to or less than 350 gp, and one item that is chosen by the dm (suggestions to her are welcome, she isn't very imaginative and she knows it).

Any ideas? Comments? Anything else that you wish to say or suggest? I was thinking of making a cleric/ordained champion(sp?) and a Sorcerer/Nightmare Spinner, but then again those are just my crackpot ideas of the day >.<

IonDragon
2009-11-17, 10:31 PM
My first suggestion would be to use Firefox, which will help you catch those pesky spelling mistakes (My posts would be neigh illegible without it).

Besides that, it sounds like you have no idea what you need. IMO the best catchall would be a Druid, and a Wizard. Both are versatile and fun.

Although, your second sentence said that the game was designed to be heavy role play which suggests to me it's going to be more drama and fluff than grind, and not likely to need optimization at all. From that, I'd play something you think is interesting. Maybe play a staple like a Druid, and something you've never tried before like a Rogue/Monk, or Sorcerer.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-17, 10:34 PM
Crusader and Beguiler. The Crusader keeps them both alive through combat, the Beguiler turns the greatest forces of the enemy against them. The only issue is the Beguiler is basically a Rogue without SA until level 4, so your Crusader will need to be moderately optimized to survive low levels.

For personality, I'd go with an honest-looking young human for the Beguiler and a female Dwarf for the Crusader. They're backstory is they're a borderline-criminal couple, making the majority of their living as bounty hunters specializing in live retrieval, and doing bodyguard and robbery work on the side. CN, more or less.

Sutrahariel
2009-11-17, 10:44 PM
O_O I can't believe how sloppy I am. Give me a moment to spell check that. I wasn't entirely focused while writing, so here is a correction from before. The campaign will involve a good amount of role playing, but when combat does shows itself than things get really difficult. We might even get to command armies (I'm not sure really). Also know that the surviving characters will form together into one party in real life, so its not Just me two.

Druid might work, but I try not to play as them to often. I almost always play them with these players so I'm trying to not use one without it being beyond the norm. Wizard might be an option depending on the build.

Beguiler is a interesting idea, I might partake in its brand of awesome. Crusader is a good class, but doesn't exactly have the stopping power I like in my Templar nutjobs, I will take it into consideration however.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-17, 10:49 PM
O_O I can't believe how sloppy I am. Give me a moment to spell check that. I wasn't entirely focused while writing, so here is a correction from before.I didn't see any issues, so I doubt it's that bad. I'm normally a pretty bad spelling nazi, so don't worry.
The campaign will involve a good amount of role playing, but when combat does shows itself than things get really difficult. We might even get to command armies (I'm not sure really). Also know that the surviving characters will form together into one party in real life, so its not Just me two.

Beguiler is a interesting idea, I might partake in its brand of awesome. Crusader is a good class, but doesn't exactly have the stopping power I like in my Templar nutjobs, I will take it into consideration however.I chose Crusader for the healing and leadership. It's more of a Wall than a Bazooka, true, but at low levels, BAB matters a lot more than damage. Higher levels only matter if you can reach them. However, if your Beguiler can UMD and you can talk your DM into including a Wand of CLW or LV in your early loot, Warblade is probably a better choice.