PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Spell Turning: What Does It Do?

sambo.
2009-11-18, 12:02 AM
in the Enervation (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7337009&posted=1#post7337009)thread is a discussion about the use of the archmage high-arcana Mastery Of Counterspelling and the Spell Turning spell.

Spell Turning
Abjuration
Level: Luck 7, Magic 7, Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Until expended or 10 min./level

Spells and spell-like effects targeted on you are turned back upon the original caster. The abjuration turns only spells that have you as a target. Effect and area spells are not affected. Spell turning also fails to stop touch range spells.

From seven to ten (1d4+6) spell levels are affected by the turning. The exact number is rolled secretly.

When you are targeted by a spell of higher level than the amount of spell turning you have left, that spell is partially turned. The subtract the amount of spell turning left from the spell level of the incoming spell, then divide the result by the spell level of the incoming spell to see what fraction of the effect gets through. For damaging spells, you and the caster each take a fraction of the damage. For nondamaging spells, each of you has a proportional chance to be affected.

with particular reference to the bolded line "Effect and area spells are not affected. Spell turning also fails to stop touch range spells"

it states "touch range spells", not "ranged touch attack" spells. so i could understand it not working on, for example, Bestow Curse which requires a melee touch attack.

so, can Spell Turning/MoC be used to send a ray spell (like enervation) back at the original caster? what spells can be Turned?

or is this a case of: Ask Thy DM!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-18, 12:04 AM
Enervation
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Ray of negative energy
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Where is the dispute?

sambo.
2009-11-18, 12:09 AM
so any and all spells with an "Effect" line cannot be turned by MoC/Spell Turning?

damn. that's t3h suck.

Douglas
2009-11-18, 12:22 AM
Spell Turning works on any spell that:
1) Has a "Target:" line in its header block
2) Does not have an "Area:" or "Effect:" line in its header block
3) Has a range other than touch.

Let's see, it works on Analyze Dweomer, Baleful Polymorph, Banishment, Binding, Blindness/Deafness, Cause Fear, Chain Lightning, Charm Monster, Charm Person, (Greater) Command, Confusion, Control Undead, the Mass Cure/Inflict line, Daze, Daze Monster, Deep Slumber, Demand, Destruction, Discern Lies, Discern Location, Dismissal, (Greater) Dispel Magic (targeted version), Dominate Monster, Dominate Person, Doom, and that's just through D in the Player's Handbook. The full list in core is a lot longer, and if you bring splatbooks into it the list balloons into many hundreds of spells.

sambo.
2009-11-18, 12:25 AM
but, but i wanna send some ***** metamagic'd up the wazoo enervation straight back at him!

WAAAHHHHHH!!!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-18, 12:29 AM
So use Ray Deflection.

sambo.
2009-11-18, 12:36 AM
that'll deflect it, but it won't toss it back at them......

hmm, i wonder if the Echo Spell Mystery from ToM would do it. 4th level or lower spells....

but a meta'd up the wazoo Enervation wouldn't be a 4th level spell anymore would it?

or does Echo Spell use the base spell level?

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-18, 12:49 AM
There is the Complete Mage ACF for rogues/monks. You give up evasion, but are able to reflect any rays that miss you.

Find ways to ensure rays miss you, and you're in business.

Douglas
2009-11-18, 12:49 AM
Well, as long as you don't use Heighten Spell a metamagic'd up the wazoo Enervation is still technically a 4th level spell.

sambo.
2009-11-18, 12:56 AM
Well, as long as you don't use Heighten Spell a metamagic'd up the wazoo Enervation is still technically a 4th level spell.
sweet.

BBEG: throws meta'd up the wazoo enervation at me

me: (immediate action) warp spell, if opposed check succeeds throw a Mesmerising Shade back at him, if he fails his save, i can then Echo his meta'd up the wazoo enervation back at him as my standard action.

Sliver
2009-11-18, 01:26 AM
BBEG: throws meta'd up the wazoo enervation at me

I was sure DMs only do that if the players overuse such tactics...