PDA

View Full Version : [4e] The Revised Monk

Aron Times
2009-11-18, 08:37 AM
The final version of the monk has been released on DDI. Well, at least the Centered Breath build (dexterity and wisdom-based). Major changes from the playtest version follows:

1. All of the monk's attack powers are now implement-based. Weapon powers were changed to implement powers, [W] changed to 1d10. He basically loses his proficiency bonus and gets the next higher damage die for these powers.

2. The monk's unarmed strike can no longer be enchanted, but he gets to use ki focuses instead. Ki focuses, similar to holy symbols, only need to be on the monk's person for him to be able to use them. A ki focus's enhancement bonus can be applied to the monk's unarmed strike.

3. The monk can also use any weapon he's proficient in as an implement. He doesn't get the benefit of its weapon die, but he does get to use its enchantment. Cunning Weapon, Staff of Ruin, Jagged Weapon, anyone?

4. The monk retains his +3 proficiency 1d8 damage unarmed strike (which can be enhance by a ki focus, see above), but he doesn't get to use it on monk powers. He does get to use it on multiclass weapon powers.

What do you think?

dsmiles
2009-11-18, 08:45 AM
Personally, I am a big fan of the unarmed monk. I think they should have kept the unarmed strike usable with monk powers. I mean, what's the point of playing a monk if you have to use a weapon?

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-11-18, 09:26 AM
Do Ki focuses count as implements? If so, there's the unarmed bit for you. I think they figured that being able to enchant your unarmed strike was too big of a kettle of fish.

Tehnar
2009-11-18, 09:55 AM
If the monks attack powers target AC and he doesn't get his proficiency bonus; then he in a lot of problems...

Break
2009-11-18, 10:08 AM
If the monks attack powers target AC and he doesn't get his proficiency bonus; then he in a lot of problems...

From what I recall (I'm away from article at the moment), none of them do.

Asbestos
2009-11-18, 10:11 AM
What's the reasoning behind the change anyway? Maybe the other monk build is more weapony?

Inyssius Tor
2009-11-18, 10:13 AM
Personally, I am a big fan of the unarmed monk. I think they should have kept the unarmed strike usable with monk powers.

It still is.

You just augment your unarmed strike by focusing your ki better, which you can then apply to any weapon you wish. Which seems more monk-like, to me, than stapling weapon enchantments to your fists.

Asbestos
2009-11-18, 10:17 AM
It still is.

You just augment your unarmed strike by focusing your ki better, which you can then apply to any weapon you wish. Which seems more monk-like, to me, than stapling weapon enchantments to your fists.

Maybe I want to dip my hands in residuum? Its probably carcinogenic though...

Inyssius Tor
2009-11-18, 10:19 AM
What's the reasoning behind the change anyway?

More damage. This way your encounter powers still deal 2d10 damage even if you're using your fists. Or a kukri. Or a chair. It's a fairly elegant solution to that problem, with the convenient side effects of making the monk less fiddly as a class and more unified stylistically.

I highly doubt they'll break from that paradigm.

Inyssius Tor
2009-11-18, 10:20 AM
Maybe I want to dip my hands in residuum? Its probably carcinogenic though...

Oh, I'm not saying that stapling weapon enchantments to your fists isn't awesome. It's just kind of odd, and redundant now in any case, so I guess I can see why it went away.

(... I'd allow it.)

Tengu_temp
2009-11-18, 10:47 AM
A melee character who doesn't target AC feels a bit weird (yes, I know druids already do that - it feels weird for them too), but I like these changes. Previously, for example, until your party ritualist learned Enchant Item, a monk had no access to magic unarmed strikes and had to use a magic weapon instead - no fun.

Edea
2009-11-18, 11:42 AM
Rouge MC/Daggermaster is going to be a VERY popular choice for this version of the monk, only moreso once the Str version comes out.

Draz74
2009-11-18, 02:43 PM
I think it's a pretty elegant fix, except for the way armor is now useless against Monks ... (But as someone else already said, Druids already bring that particular nonsense into the game.)

Gametime
2009-11-18, 03:04 PM
A melee character who doesn't target AC feels a bit weird (yes, I know druids already do that - it feels weird for them too), but I like these changes. Previously, for example, until your party ritualist learned Enchant Item, a monk had no access to magic unarmed strikes and had to use a magic weapon instead - no fun.

I kind of like the flavor, because it feels like the cliched idea of a martial artist who strikes at key weak points. The monk knows how to hit you in such a way as to make your armor completely useless, either hitting you in exposed places or applying force that just negates the protective effect of the armor.

I know the reason they did it is for balance, not flavor (and thank the gods for that) but it appeals to me, at least.

Awesomologist
2009-11-18, 03:29 PM
Rouge MC/Daggermaster is going to be a VERY popular choice for this version of the monk, only moreso once the Str version comes out.

Absolutely. Any other weapon doesn't offer their bonuses such as Proficiency, Damage Dice, High Crit, or Brutal so the dagger just became the best monk weapon if you want to go fishing for crits. You don't have to worry about your damage dice since monk damage is static.

There is a feat that lets you use your spear with reach for Centered Flurry of Blows but not use the proficiency or damage dice. I suppose we'll see Weapon Style feats for monks which will add riders to Flurry of Blows, but thats about it.

Shadow_Elf
2009-11-18, 04:35 PM
I really love the changes made, and now I really want to play a monk, whereas the playtest just kinda made me want to play one.

In addition, Staff Fighter is a good feat for monks - the Centered Breath build will have the WIS to pull it off, and the +1 AC is very nice for a heroic feat. And because it doesn't mean you get gimped with a bad weapon (you can even make it a staff of ruin!), its even better.