PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerous Spell Trading

Lysander
2009-11-18, 01:25 PM
Here's an idea for a variant rule to make sorcerers have a little bit of the magical trading of spells that goes on with wizards.

Existing Premise: Sorcerer spells are magical patterns of energy woven into a sorcerer's own body and soul. A sorcerer can only cast spells if they are holding that spell's pattern. Upon gaining a new level, and creating new patterns, a sorcerer also has the power to change one already existing pattern into a different spell.

Trading Idea: Sorcerers also have the power to trade spells with other sorcerers, transferring one magical pattern for another of identical spell level. Each sorcerer loses the ability to cast one spell, and the other gains the ability to cast that spell. Transferring spells requires two willingly participants who fully understand the trade, and consists of a one hour meditative trance with unbroken skin contact.

Sorcerers do not trade spells lightly, and rarely lend spells through temporary swaps for fear of being unable to get them back. Typically whoever benefits from the trade or loan more also has to bribe the other with a significant payment of gold. Some larger cities have sorcererous trading centers where savvy merchants help connect sorcerers and advertise spells offered and wanted.

vicente408
2009-11-19, 08:09 AM
Eh, I don't like the idea much. It sort of cheapens the idea of, "a Sorcerer's magical powers come from within," if they can swap them like trading cards. I guess if it jives in your campaign world then go ahead, I personally am against the idea though.

dsmiles
2009-11-19, 08:19 AM
I like it, especially with the drawback of losing the spell that you "trade."

Analytica
2009-11-19, 10:24 AM
Dragons of Faerun has a spell for this, which allows creatures of the dragonblooded type to swap spells with each other.

Lysander
2009-11-19, 11:19 AM
Eh, I don't like the idea much. It sort of cheapens the idea of, "a Sorcerer's magical powers come from within," if they can swap them like trading cards. I guess if it jives in your campaign world then go ahead, I personally am against the idea though.

Fair enough. Making anything a commodity does cheapen it somewhat, but I also like the idea of an arcane economy as part of worldbuilding.

What this also does it allows your sorcerer to change their spell list each time they stop at a large city. They'd be a little more flexible than before, and could tailor their spells to whatever adventure they're about to set off on.

Mongoose87
2009-11-19, 11:34 AM
Fair enough. Making anything a commodity does cheapen it somewhat, but I also like the idea of an arcane economy as part of worldbuilding.

What this also does it allows your sorcerer to change their spell list each time they stop at a large city. They'd be a little more flexible than before, and could tailor their spells to whatever adventure they're about to set off on.

Of course, they'd have to be very careful about taking something too specialized, lest they not be able to go to a city for a while.

Lysander
2009-11-19, 12:26 PM
Dragons of Faerun has a spell for this, which allows creatures of the dragonblooded type to swap spells with each other.

How does that spell work?

Lysander
2009-11-19, 02:46 PM
This could also work with bard spells, and any other arcane spontaneous casters.

hiryuu
2009-11-19, 06:47 PM
Well, this isn't too strange. A lot of Native American religions believe that you can trade, buy, or sell luck or spiritual favors amongst each other (even curses), especially among the plains tribes and the southeastern groups, so this isn't too far off from that.

Also, yoink.