Universal
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, F
Range: Close
Target or Effect: See text (effect)
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No or Yes (effect)

This spell lets you control or create a variety of objects and effects to suit your purposes.

Each round while this spell is in effect, as a standard action, you may direct any inanimate, unattended, non-magical Medium or smaller object to do your bidding. Items so affected gain a fly speed of 10' (perfect manuevaribility). They may move twice in a round but not Run or Charge. Hammers may be made to hammer, brooms may be made to sweep, etc. The items may perform any basic task, but not one requiring a high degree of craftmanship. Even pockets of air or water may be controlled to create breezes (e.g., to propel a boat) or dust devils, small waves or slow moving whirlpools. Redirecting an item to a new task or multiple items to the same new task is a move action, but otherwise items continue on the last assigned task without a need for intervention nor do they need to stay within range. The objects become automotons and cannot remember anything other than what they are currently working on. Gloves, gauntlets and the like are not capable of manipulation.

Up to your caster level in objects may be active at any one time. You may dismiss objects as a standard action to make room for new ones. Objects may also animate and dismiss other objects (if the limit still allows), such as a hammer animating a nail. Multiple similar grouped objects fulfilling only one task together, such as a bag of marbles or pile of coins but not a batallion of hammers, count as one object. These objects move and act as one unit, like a swarm. Destroying or dispelling an affected item causes it to cease functioning and unlike dismissed items it may not be replaced.

The objects have an effective strength of 10, dexterity of 10, an AC of 10 plus the object's size modifer and a Base Attack Bonus of +0, making them mediocre combatants. Additionally, non-weapons have a -4 penalty to hit, except for special attacks related to the item's typical uses. Any skill check provoked by the items, such as balancing on marbles, has a DC of 10. Items act as last directed, and cannot think or decide on their own.

The caster, as a standard action, may also create soft, flexible Tiny or smaller objects to be animated: Realistic pigeons, hand towels, bags, etc. The physical statistics for such items are the same as their mundane counterparts. Otherwise they are mindless automotons. They may not be used as spell components. An object so created disappears at the end of the spell or when the object is dismissed.

Finally the caster, as a standard action, may create small local effects, such as a flash of light, a banging noise, a spark of electricity, minor levitation, a splash of water, etc. Any cantrip that creates an effect may be imitated, except the save DC uses the DC of this spell (that of a 3rd or 4th level spell). Other cantrips may not be imitated. Any effect of similar power may also be created. Continuous effects count towards the object limit until they expire or are dismissed.

Focus: The objects targeted.

Lysander
2009-11-18, 03:17 PM
It's a nice idea but seems overpowered. Animate Objects for instance is a 6th level spell and this not only replicates it, it allows you to switch targets and you can use it all day instead of for 1 round/level.

This spell also makes cantrips obsolete. It can do anything any cantrip can do, without limit, all day. I know they're just 0 level spells but it still becomes unbalancing.

Fizban
2009-11-18, 03:18 PM
I have no idea if it's "balanced" but I like it! You've got conjuring flocks of pigeons, animating squads of brooms, and the wind constantly at your back. I could really see a fighter and wizard having an argument over which to prepare: this or another fireball.

Fighter: what? I thought you had three 3rd level slots, but you're already out of fireballs!?
Wizard: Yes, I prepared Greater Prestidigitation. I like the way the wind makes me look dashing.

or

Fighter: I thought you wizards could make wind and float broom and stuff whenever you want? Why can't you just do that?
Wizard: would you rather have a silly breeze, or watch your enemies explode before they can stab you?

Edit: this in no way replaces Animate Objects, at all. That spell is obviously meant for combat, by it's short duration and large size capacity. This is more like Greater Unseen Servant. It's actually a lot better than the GUS since the object have str 10 instead of 2 and can fly, even if they're slower. That probably means you need to up the level to at least 4.

Making cantrips obsolete really isn't all that bad because 1: any useful cantrip gets infinite item'd as soon as it's needed, and 2: the cost of a 3rd level slot is so much higher no one would prepare it for infinite cantrips unless they were trying to scam a village out of money for casting Mending a gazillion times.

DracoDei
2009-11-18, 04:23 PM
trying to scam a village out of money for casting Mending a gazillion times.
Hardly a scam if you are providing a useful service at the agreed upon rate...

ericgrau
2009-11-18, 05:31 PM
This is more like Greater Unseen Servant. It's actually a lot better than the GUS since the object have str 10 instead of 2 and can fly, even if they're slower. That probably means you need to up the level to at least 4.

Hmm, animated gauntlets might make it close to a greater unseen servant or at least make most other objects obsolete. So I added "Gloves, gauntlets and the like are not capable of manipulation." Also, not all cantrips are imitated, only effects. Mainstays like detect magic still need to be prepared. With effect cantrips like mending I don't really see an issue, at least not one that couldn't be replicated with a torch, tools or other mundane objects. Or other applications aren't truly unlimited, so a 375 gp wand or a few 12.5 gp scrolls would work just as well. Fizban has it right on the Animated Objects thing; these are roughly CR 1/4 creatures except some weak monsters might have trouble destroying them. Even then a comical grappling match or simply running away could handle them. CR 5 creatures would rarely get hit and even when they did the damage would be poor.

Fizban
2009-11-18, 09:37 PM
Hardly a scam if you are providing a useful service at the agreed upon rate...
True. I was thinking more of the thread a while back where the guy was trying to make money selling spellcasting services in town for the full 10*spell level*CL price suggested in the DMG. Not likely. Now charging say 5sp/1gp for 0/1st level spells might work, in which case this Greater Prestidigitation would actually let you meet the demand, but then like you said it's not a scam.

Hmm, animated gauntlets might make it close to a greater unseen servant or at least make most other objects obsolete. So I added "Gloves, gauntlets and the like are not capable of manipulation." Also, not all cantrips are imitated, only effects. Mainstays like detect magic still need to be prepared. With effect cantrips like mending I don't really see an issue, at least not one that couldn't be replicated with a torch, tools or other mundane objects. Or other applications aren't truly unlimited, so a 375 gp wand or a few 12.5 gp scrolls would work just as well. Fizban has it right on the Animated Objects thing; these are roughly CR 1/4 creatures except some weak monsters might have trouble destroying them. Even then a comical grappling match or simply running away could handle them. CR 5 creatures would rarely get hit and even when they did the damage would be poor.
I would totally try doing an arrow volley with a bunch of crossbows though.

Temotei
2009-11-18, 10:27 PM
True. I was thinking more of the thread a while back where the guy was trying to make money selling spellcasting services in town for the full 10*spell level*CL price suggested in the DMG. Not likely. Now charging say 5sp/1gp for 0/1st level spells might work, in which case this Greater Prestidigitation would actually let you meet the demand, but then like you said it's not a scam.

Plus, I don't think there's a spell that low level that lets you repair completely broken things. So :roy: wouldn't really get any service from you. :smalltongue:

deuxhero
2009-11-18, 10:35 PM
Needs a to make animated unfit for combat (but still allow an axe to chop wood). While a wizard with a bunch of weak weapons flying around him seems cool, I don't know about an infinitely large number of quarterstaffs/clubs.

ericgrau
2009-11-18, 10:59 PM
+0 AB handles that. Like I said, they can't hit squat. Say for example at level 5 you try to use them to hit orcs. On average 1 weapon hits each round and takes out an orc. 1 CR 1 creature per round, at level 5. Against CR appropriate creatures they pretty much only hit on a natural 20. A trip or provoking balance strategy might get farther, but it's still highly limited. In that very specific situation of massed CR 1's, it's about as strong as an unlimited flaming sphere (a level 2 spell), but usually it isn't worth much. I'm still conflicted about raising the spell level, but I changed it to 4 for now. Mainly due to versatility.

doing an arrow volley with a bunch of crossbows though.

If you want self-loading crossbows you only get half as many weapons, though. Remember the bolt counts as an animated object when the crossbow makes it fly into position. Now it takes 2 rounds to actually hit something instead of 1 hit per round, assuming very weak opponents (low chance of even 1 hit otherwise). Or if you mean you'd do it for the sake of cool, then go for it.

DracoDei
2009-11-18, 11:20 PM
If you just load the bolts before hand it makes a decent first strike for each combat in a day. Actually works AGAINST the "five minute work day", so I think I approve.

ghashxx
2009-11-19, 04:29 AM
This is pretty nifty, and would keep my cloak always blowing exquisitely in the wind.

Latronis
2009-11-19, 05:50 AM
Best apart about being an air genasi without eating the LA :smallbiggrin:

Cicciograna
2009-11-19, 06:53 AM
This spell already exists. It's called Wish.
One should note that it's Prestidigitation that should be called Lesser Wish...

DracoDei
2009-11-19, 09:36 AM
So close and yet so far Cicciograna... this spell forms a nice bridge between Prestidigitation and Limited Wish.

ericgrau
2009-11-20, 11:09 AM
I'd like to keep this going to see if anyone can figure out a way to abuse the spell in case I need to plug loopholes. Or if it's so weak you can't do much with it, even utility things, I'd like that pointed out too.

Again, an army of weapons isn't a form of abuse since they rarely hit. It's a flamboyant way to beat up commoners though.